HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Luke Schenn signs multi-year contract

Closed Thread

Old
09-14-2011, 08:44 PM
vezna*
Canada's Team

vCash: 500
you people love beating a dead horse. schenn-staal argument always comes up in every schenn or staal thread

it's kind of sad

Old
09-14-2011, 08:48 PM
Dark Knight
We The North !!

If he signs for 3.5 or less I'm ecstatic. If it's over 3.5, touching 4, I'm still happy as a Leafs fan. I just want our best overall D-man locked up.

09-14-2011, 08:49 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
Not generating enough offense? Mark Staal had 29 points compared with Schenn's 22. Staal played 25.44 minutes a night with 2:38 on the PP. Schenn played 22:22 a night with only :59 seconds on the PP.
Staal's role is to primarily shut down top lines. Schenn's role is also to shut down other guys, but not against top opposing players. Big difference. It is much harder to produce 5-on-5 against other top lines as opposed to 2nd-3rd lines. If Staal played against 2nd/3rd lines his production will be better statistically. But we need him to play defense, any offense is gravy from him.

Quote:
So with that difference in icetime Staal is the better offensive player? Schenn is also almost three full years younger. Staal is 24 -- Schenn 21.
Difference in ice time against other top lines. That's the difference between the two. Schenn isn't an upper-tier shutdown defenseman yet, Staal already is.

Quote:
Three years ago Stall was putting up seasons of 10 and 15 points.
Different players have different development paths.

Quote:
Let's also leave out the fact Schenn led ALL defenceman in hits with 251 -- 111 MORE than Staal while being almost 3 years younger. Blocked shots? Schenn -- 168 -- Staal -- 109.

All this playing 3 minutes less a night.
And he led the league in giveaways.

Hitting and blocked shots aren't a great indication of shutdown players. Girardi has more blocked shots than Staal but he isn't in Staal's caliber defensively.

Staal is always in position, as opposed to a hit he'll use his stick and break plays up. But he can get nasty too, ask Matt Stajan how he's doing.

Quote:
But yes Staal does have 4 points in 17 playoff games. Schenn could never match that.
It's still better than 0. Again, his role isn't to rack up points, it's to log minutes and shut down other lines.

Quote:
Thanks -- we'll keep Schenn -- and when he's 24
The Leafs should keep him, he has all the makings of a top shutdown guy.

Old
09-14-2011, 08:52 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamal007 View Post
Yes, Phanuef does match up against the top lines nightly but its not to PROTECT Luke lol. Come on, thats an insane word to use. You protect Marc Andre Bergeron, you don't protect Schenn. Schenn goes up against the top lines nightly as well, on the PK, where he led this team. A guy who leads the team in PK time isn't being protected.

Phanuef is not comparable to Staal at all. Phanuef is an offensive D man and Staal is more of a defensive D man. Just because they both match up against top lines for their respective teams doesn't mean they are comparable. Schenn is a very close comparison to Staal. No, he is not better than Staal but he is comparable.
I think they did sort of protect Schenn since they don't want him being eaten alive by other top lines. It's good that the Leafs aren't throwing him to the wolves yet, I think Schenn in his prime could be one of those pure shutdown guys in the league matching against other top lines. Just not at the moment.

Just my opinion, but Phaneuf is the real stud on the Leafs team....

Old
09-14-2011, 08:55 PM
gotmonte

lets not turn this into a Marc Staal versus Luke Schenn debate.

*************** SHOULD BE INCARCERATED since he is a doooooche.

Other than that.. congrats to the Leafs if Schenn indeed signed. Congrats. But please dont drag us rangers fans into this (it actually might have been a ranger fan that started this.. but make him the minority.. not the majority please)

Old
09-14-2011, 08:56 PM
Pulp Fiction
RIP Wade Belak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
I think they did sort of protect Schenn since they don't want him being eaten alive by other top lines. It's good that the Leafs aren't throwing him to the wolves yet, I think Schenn in his prime could be one of those pure shutdown guys in the league matching against other top lines.

Schenn >> Highly overrated Phaneuf

Love,
Leafs fan

Old
09-14-2011, 08:57 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotmonte View Post

Other than that.. congrats to the Leafs if Schenn indeed signed. Congrats. But please dont drag us rangers fans into this (it actually might have been a ranger fan that started this.. but make him the minority.. not the majority please)
Yes, I am sorry about this. Congrats on signing Schenn if it is indeed true.

Old
09-14-2011, 08:59 PM
Freudian
Deja vu again?

vCash: 50
It is very likely Schenn will indeed sign a multi-year contract in the coming days. It's common sense with camp starting and no real conflict between Leafs and Schenn.

It should be obvious this twitterer is throwing it out there to get a 'hit' and gain credibility from people not realizing this.

Old
09-14-2011, 09:03 PM
Nizdizzle
Salary cap? Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotmonte View Post

It was a Bruins troll that brought the Rangers/Staal up into this thread. I don't know why everyone feels it needs to be discussed so thoroughly.

Old
09-14-2011, 09:12 PM
shibbiness

As said before, Bob is just regurgitating rumors and people (especially here on HFBoards) will consider him to be trustworthy when the deal is actually announced.

Anyhow, to the Schenn vs Staal debate, the answer is YES THEY'RE COMPARABLE, and thats all that matters when it comes down to salary. Schenn will likely get Staal type money and that is not a bad thing.

Old
09-14-2011, 09:48 PM
Kamal007
A$VP

Quote:
I think they did sort of protect Schenn since they don't want him being eaten alive by other top lines. It's good that the Leafs aren't throwing him to the wolves yet, I think Schenn in his prime could be one of those pure shutdown guys in the league matching against other top lines. Just not at the moment.

He did play against the top lines, the whole year, he led the pk unit out there as the first D man. Phanuef was like 5th or something in PK time. He has been facing up against the wolves and been doing just fine since his rookie year. You seem to be patronizing Schenn.

I agree that Phanuef is much better D man and will likely be the better D man for the rest of his career but that doesn't mean Schenn isn't good.

Old
09-14-2011, 10:18 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsButton View Post
You evaluate defensemen with offensive stats?

Watch a few Rangers games, Staal is a difference maker every shift.
There's no difference between the two based on when they're signing their deals.

Old
09-14-2011, 10:36 PM
mondo3

Bogosian signed for 2 years for 5m total. Wouldn't this affect the schenn value? Wouldnt the same be about right?

Old
09-14-2011, 10:45 PM
The Saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondo3 View Post
Bogosian signed for 2 years for 5m total. Wouldn't this affect the schenn value? Wouldnt the same be about right?
While Schenn is a bit better than Bogosian, they should be earning roughly the same money. I could see Schenn getting about 250,000 more per year for the next two years. Perhaps something like 2.25 in year one, and 3.25 in year two and 3.75 in year three, or an AAV of just over 3.0.

Old
09-14-2011, 11:15 PM
dm1371

2 years, 2,7M per.

Old
09-15-2011, 12:42 AM
Nikolai Coolman

I hope it's something close to 3x3, maybe 3.5 cap hit max.

Old
09-15-2011, 07:34 AM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondo3 View Post
I'd say Schenn is worth more, IMO. Hes played far, far, better up to this point. Somewhere between Bogo and Staal is where he'll end up IMO, hopefully on a long term deal.

Old
09-15-2011, 07:37 AM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
I'd say Schenn is worth more, IMO. Hes played far, far, better up to this point. Somewhere between Bogo and Staal is where he'll end up IMO, hopefully on a long term deal.
As a Jets fan I have to agree.
Schenn > Bogo
To this point
That may change...

I still say Schenn has done more to this point then Bogo.

Old
09-15-2011, 09:15 AM
edruga

vCash: 666
Quote:

Thank you for realizing this. It's laughable that some people think Schenn > Phaneuf.

Old
09-15-2011, 09:17 AM
Liferleafer
RIP Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsButton View Post
Seriously dude. You get into a flamewar in every thead, not me.

How do you evaluate contracts?

You look at comperable players. If someone thinks he's worth $4m, fine with me. Go ahead and post it. But I don't think he's anywhere near as good as Mark Staal and I'd wager that neither does 90% of HF.
I posted what I think the Leafs should shoot for in my original post -- $2.8, for 3yrs.

What have you added to the thread?
You might want to watch yourself......isn't it widely known that 90% of HF is Leaf homersa?

Old
09-15-2011, 09:20 AM
Poignant Discussion
I tell it like it is

Send a message via MSN to Poignant Discussion Send a message via Yahoo to Poignant Discussion
Quote:
Originally Posted by edruga View Post
Thank you for realizing this. It's laughable that some people think Schenn > Phaneuf.
Yup, then again if you took a poll you would have 75% choose Schenn. Shows you the level of hockey IQ on this site

Old
09-15-2011, 09:23 AM
Liferleafer
RIP Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisx101 View Post
I always hate the playoff experience excuse against players b/c essential thats a team downfall not an individual players.
Ah...just turn it around. If Schenn is the reason for the Leafs missing the PO's, Staal must be the reason for the Rangers stellar PO run last year.

Old
09-15-2011, 09:29 AM
The Brewmeister
#Winning.

Send a message via MSN to The Brewmeister Send a message via Skype™ to The Brewmeister
Dunno if this was posted, but on TSN last night, they were saying that Schenn was looking for money that was close to Staal's. I dont see why he wouldnt deserve it, but we'll see what happens I guess.

Old
09-15-2011, 09:56 AM
jmart21
MISC!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poignant Discussion View Post
Yup, then again if you took a poll you would have 75% choose Schenn. Shows you the level of hockey IQ on this site
Agreed. Also shows the level of "i'll close my eyes to reality because I don't like the guy"-ism on this site.

Old
09-15-2011, 10:47 AM
Hounsy

I think part of the Schenn to Staal problems are some people are looking at it as current Schenn vrs current Staal and other are looking at it as current Schenn vrs Staal when he signed his deal. Then they end up fighting about it when they are not even talking about the same thing.

Closed Thread