HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Isles sign Tavares to 6-year extension at $5.5M per year

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-14-2011, 06:08 PM
  #101
Raym11
Phaneuf sucks
 
Raym11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,695
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLBarmada View Post
Right now I think he's overpaid, but like most people have said by the end of the year he'll be a bargain.
i guess its a good thing his contract doesnt kick in until next year anyways?

Raym11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 06:09 PM
  #102
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...
 
ForzaZuffa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Country: Italy
Posts: 9,257
vCash: 500
I am so happy he signed and I won't have to see my fellow Leaf fans make embarrassing proposals all season long. Gratz Isle fans, huge statement for the organization.

ForzaZuffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 06:13 PM
  #103
gotmonte
Registered User
 
gotmonte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New York
Country: Italy
Posts: 1,545
vCash: 500
Now I am a DIE HARD RANGERS FAN but I came in here today to congratulate the Islanders and Garth Snow on a FANTASTIC signing in John Tavares.

The kid is the real deal and he is not even 21 years old yet. And to get him for 5 and change a year for 6 years? Thats a pretty good, no VERY GOOD contract.

I dont know what Johnny T' was thinking and I think he could have gotten more but it shows his commitment to the team and his captaincy type qualities in taking less to make the team better and to allow the team to get top tier free agents/trades for top tier players and get them back into the playoffs and ultimately a new Arena deal.

Again, I hate the Islanders but I have to give props where props belongs. And it is squarely on Johhny T's and Garth Snow's shoulders.

Islanders fans, you should be having a good time soon enough. I believe you have the nucleus for a hell of a team. Just give it some time and GO TO THE GAMES. Pack that house out and show the free agents and NMC players that the Island is where it is at.

Just sayin'

gotmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 06:16 PM
  #104
boredmale
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 21,156
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KH1 View Post
To be fair, I think that Moulson would be up around 30 goals no matter what team he played for--he's a classic garbage goal kind of player who scores because of his great positioning.
I think on most teams Moulson could be a 20-25 goal guy for the reasons you stated, but I do think the JT factor ups the count by about 5+ goals

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 06:16 PM
  #105
I Believe
Registered User
 
I Believe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,693
vCash: 500
This is going to be one hell of a good contract in the near future.

I Believe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 06:17 PM
  #106
roflstomper
I don't row.
 
roflstomper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 1,346
vCash: 500
So both Tavares and Stamkos taking reasonable contracts for their respective organizations when they each could have probably gotten a lot more elsewhere. Good for them.

roflstomper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 06:18 PM
  #107
Hull Fan
Duck Hunting
 
Hull Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Arlington, TX
Country: Albania
Posts: 4,479
vCash: 500
This is a great deal for Tavares and the Islanders franchise. Snow deserves all the accolades for going ahead and locking up his young talent. If FAs won't come to the island then keeping your core who's growing up together matters even more. If this helps bring FAs to NYI in the future all the better.

I for one will be sure to watch more Isles hockey this upcoming season. This is a franchise finally on the rise again. After all the dark years this must feel amazing to you fans. Congrats you deserve it.

Hull Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 06:28 PM
  #108
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 5,151
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
This is a great deal for Tavares and the Islanders franchise. Snow deserves all the accolades for going ahead and locking up his young talent. If FAs won't come to the island then keeping your core who's growing up together matters even more. If this helps bring FAs to NYI in the future all the better.

I for one will be sure to watch more Isles hockey this upcoming season. This is a franchise finally on the rise again. After all the dark years this must feel amazing to you fans. Congrats you deserve it.


Tune into game 1 of the playoffs at the NVMC. It's going to sound like a zoo. Years of built up frustration will shake the building to its core.

IslesBeBack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 06:32 PM
  #109
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 5,151
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotmonte View Post
Now I am a DIE HARD RANGERS FAN but I came in here today to congratulate the Islanders and Garth Snow on a FANTASTIC signing in John Tavares.

The kid is the real deal and he is not even 21 years old yet. And to get him for 5 and change a year for 6 years? Thats a pretty good, no VERY GOOD contract.

I dont know what Johnny T' was thinking and I think he could have gotten more but it shows his commitment to the team and his captaincy type qualities in taking less to make the team better and to allow the team to get top tier free agents/trades for top tier players and get them back into the playoffs and ultimately a new Arena deal.

Again, I hate the Islanders but I have to give props where props belongs. And it is squarely on Johhny T's and Garth Snow's shoulders.

Islanders fans, you should be having a good time soon enough. I believe you have the nucleus for a hell of a team. Just give it some time and GO TO THE GAMES. Pack that house out and show the free agents and NMC players that the Island is where it is at.

Just sayin'
This attendance stuff really has to stop. This is a team that had an owner hand out a 15 year contract to a goalie who wasn't even top 10 in his position during his one "good year". This is an owner who recommended sumo wrestlers in net, and went behind Milburys back to sign Yashin to 10 years, and offered Peca 10 years. This is an owner who went to every news outlet two years ago to threaten he would move the team when everyone knows he's not going anywhere.

I think this rebuild, and more importantly GARTH SNOW (who yes, was promoted by Charles, uhhh) has humbled Charles in the biggest way.

Garth has been a true professional in every way, and he has helped turned this franchise around, and guess what? CHARLES LET HIM DO IT! Go figure!

The fans are here. Look at 2001 when the Islanders actually won hockey games. Sold out 1/2 the season. Look at when the Islanders started winning last season.

Attendance rose by 38% to close the season with 5 of 6 sellouts to end the season.

Thank you for all the kind words, NYI-NYR will be put back on the map this season. I look forward to it!

IslesBeBack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 06:40 PM
  #110
Beesfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,277
vCash: 500
This is one of the best contracts in hockey. Tavares will be play like a $7 million/year player for 4 of those contract years.

Beesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 06:48 PM
  #111
bobbyflex
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,385
vCash: 500
wow Tavares takes a huge paycut. Isles could be a force in the coming years

bobbyflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 06:49 PM
  #112
periferal
Registered User
 
periferal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 3,788
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Nooo!!!!

Steal of a contract by the Isles.

Actually...ANOTHER steal of a contract by the Isles.

periferal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 06:56 PM
  #113
periferal
Registered User
 
periferal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 3,788
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotmonte View Post
Now I am a DIE HARD RANGERS FAN but I came in here today to congratulate the Islanders and Garth Snow on a FANTASTIC signing in John Tavares.

The kid is the real deal and he is not even 21 years old yet. And to get him for 5 and change a year for 6 years? Thats a pretty good, no VERY GOOD contract.

I dont know what Johnny T' was thinking and I think he could have gotten more but it shows his commitment to the team and his captaincy type qualities in taking less to make the team better and to allow the team to get top tier free agents/trades for top tier players and get them back into the playoffs and ultimately a new Arena deal.

Again, I hate the Islanders but I have to give props where props belongs. And it is squarely on Johhny T's and Garth Snow's shoulders.

Islanders fans, you should be having a good time soon enough. I believe you have the nucleus for a hell of a team. Just give it some time and GO TO THE GAMES. Pack that house out and show the free agents and NMC players that the Island is where it is at.

Just sayin'


Not "just sayin'." This is the best post in a while.

Why?

It's RATIONAL.

periferal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 07:05 PM
  #114
Oroku Saki*
Pete Hearts Volch
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Rocky Point
Country: United States
Posts: 24,133
vCash: 500
Wow, great cap hit for the Islanders. I like how Tavares is committed to staying and winning.

Oroku Saki* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 07:13 PM
  #115
Axe Man
Brooklyn Bound
 
Axe Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Islander Country
Country: United States
Posts: 811
vCash: 500
This is a great signing. Like I already knew JT is a true professional and a classy guy. All he wants to do is help this franchise and he didn't try to nickel and dime for more money like other people thought he should have.

Axe Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 07:14 PM
  #116
Human
cynic
 
Human's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bandwagon
Posts: 4,393
vCash: 500
well, that's an amazing caphit, no doubt...

Human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 07:28 PM
  #117
Kagee*
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,094
vCash: 500
Steal of a deal after this season, he'll be a top point getter in the last 4, 5 years of this contract.

Kagee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 07:35 PM
  #118
ponder
Registered User
 
ponder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,313
vCash: 500
Steal of a deal, especially since they got him locked up for 6 years at that price. Pretty much the ideal price and term for the Isles.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 07:35 PM
  #119
Schenn
Dirt Road Scholar
 
Schenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Huron County
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,790
vCash: 500
Awesome news for the islanders! Great cap hit.

Schenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 07:43 PM
  #120
WangMustGo
NYI
 
WangMustGo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Long Island
Posts: 3,524
vCash: 500
Great news, 3 huge pieces have been signed this summer in Okposo, Grabner, and now Tavares. Can't wait to see this core continue to develop, could be a really exciting team to watch.

WangMustGo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 07:58 PM
  #121
Bill Omie*
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 159
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundgarden View Post
Could they be announcing his Captaincy?
John Tavares will be named captain tomorrow. Bailey for Turris will be announced Friday. Saturday a new arena will be finalized. What a week

Bill Omie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 08:02 PM
  #122
Tyrion Targaryen*
HALFMAN!!!!
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Casterly Rock
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 567
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Omie View Post
John Tavares will be named captain tomorrow. Bailey for Turris will be announced Friday. Saturday a new arena will be finalized. What a week
Where'd that come from? Looks like the Isles are doing things right, I couldn't be happier for them or their fans. Here's to hoping we can get a rivalry going.

Oh, and crazy deal for JT.

Tyrion Targaryen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 08:07 PM
  #123
Incognito
Registered User
 
Incognito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,343
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipietro View Post
I thought he wanted to play in Toronto?
Why does almost every thread have to have at least one Leafs bashing comment? Tavares is a Toronto native and the Leafs are his favourite NHL team, so it makes sense why people think that he would have welcomed a trade home. That being said, this is business, and business and personal feelings are usually kept separate, hence why he signed this new contract (and quite a steal of one too) with the Isles. Congrats to Isles fans, you guys got a steal. Celebrate the future of your team without bringing the Leafs into the equation.

Incognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 08:08 PM
  #124
gotmonte
Registered User
 
gotmonte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New York
Country: Italy
Posts: 1,545
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Omie View Post
John Tavares will be named captain tomorrow. Bailey for Turris will be announced Friday. Saturday a new arena will be finalized. What a week
***************, is that you?!

gotmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 08:13 PM
  #125
KH1
Registered User
 
KH1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Under the cap floor
Country: United States
Posts: 16,018
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatientlyWaiting View Post
This attendance stuff really has to stop. This is a team that had an owner hand out a 15 year contract to a goalie who wasn't even top 10 in his position during his one "good year". This is an owner who recommended sumo wrestlers in net, and went behind Milburys back to sign Yashin to 10 years, and offered Peca 10 years. This is an owner who went to every news outlet two years ago to threaten he would move the team when everyone knows he's not going anywhere.

I think this rebuild, and more importantly GARTH SNOW (who yes, was promoted by Charles, uhhh) has humbled Charles in the biggest way.

Garth has been a true professional in every way, and he has helped turned this franchise around, and guess what? CHARLES LET HIM DO IT! Go figure!

The fans are here. Look at 2001 when the Islanders actually won hockey games. Sold out 1/2 the season. Look at when the Islanders started winning last season.

Attendance rose by 38% to close the season with 5 of 6 sellouts to end the season.

Thank you for all the kind words, NYI-NYR will be put back on the map this season. I look forward to it!
I can't agree with you that Garth Snow has been "a true professional in every way." The way that he treats the media (specifically that whole mess with Chris Botta) is pure bush league.

He got one helluva deal for John Tavares though, no denying that.

KH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:57 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.