HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Point Moves

Old
09-13-2011, 08:25 AM
nesford2457

vCash: 500
Point Moves

First off I play defense in a beer league in an intermediate division. I am constantly finding myself complaining to the forwards that the points are open in offensive zone (i know nothing new there). What always ends up happening though is when they finally do pass it back to the point I have a guy charging me and I usually either throw a quick shot on net or dump it to the corner. What I was wondering is what move could i use to get around that guy charging me, keep in mind I am usually caught flat footed when I receive the pass from the forwards and I am very very afraid of a turnover going the other way for breakaway. Any help would be appreciated.

nesford2457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 09:10 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Same thing happens with my team.

Two things we worked on in practice helped out quite a bit:

1. Offensive zone game, 3-on-3 with a guy at each point. When there's a turnover, you have to move it to the point before you can shoot.

2. Offensive zone add-on game. 2-on-2 with a line of guys at each point. If you pass to the point, that guy enters the zone for your team up to five guys.

If you get the puck at the point, there are three main options IMO:

1. Skate to the middle and get a shot (ideally skating laterally or backwards if you're stick is facing the boards).

2. Hold the puck to draw the attacker and then pass it back to your man along the boards.

3. Pass it to your defense partner.

Finally, if you're on the weak side (i.e. puck is on the other side of the zone) step up deeper into the zone. Make yourself a passing target. High scoring chance if you do get the puck.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 03:10 PM
NomadFan

That tends to happen in beer leagues. Most times if the other team is covering you properly, all you'll have time for is a wrister on net.

What I like to do is yell out that I'm open if there's too much pressure down low. At least in the beer leagues, someone picks up their head and rushes back - helps to create a bit of space for the forwards.

Only time I'm really able to unload a bomb from the point is if I sneak to open ice between the blue line and the tops of the circle.

But like Jarick said, a quick backhand-forehand might bait winger to go one way, and you can go the other. At least what I do, if I can't unload a bomb, I just try to hit the net or dump it back into the corner.

NomadFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 03:35 PM
ATLhockey437

Don't try any moves around the guy coming at you, very high risk. Even if it's beer league you don't wanna be the guy that gives up a breakaway or an oddman rushed against your gassed line. Don't leave your d partner in the trenches by getting fancy.

If you feel like you have to, drift a little torwards the middle (but be quick), you'll have 3 options: low shot, D to D, or the forward who passed it to you should be cycling around the top of the circle and you can dish it right back to him and he'll be in a great shooting lane where he can shoot or have an easy backdoor pass since someone should be pretty open due to you shifting at the blueline.

Honestly though, just keep it simple with low shots on net or dumping it back in the corner.

ATLhockey437 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 04:10 PM
Steelhead16

Try looking at the guy charging you. He will either be looking at the puck or your chest. If he is looking at your chest then your best play is a shot or a dump in the corner. If he is looking at the puck then try holding the puck to your left or right whichever is on the opponents forehand. You want to try an make him make a bee line for the side of your body. If you hold it towards his forehand you can then pull the puck across your body to the opposite side and take one step in that direction just before the guy gets to you. Your opponent has half the reach to his backhand side so you will have more room and if you rotate your body toward the goal line you can force your opponent behind you and give you room to move toward the slot and shoot or pass from there. Also by rotating your body the opponents stick should only be able to make contact with your leg

I don't know if you are right handed or left handed but I will try and explain it as if you are right handed and the defender is right handed and you are playing the left side of the ice.

Hold the puck on your backhand at 10:00ish facing the net. Just before the defender gets to you or reaches for your stick pull the puck to your forehand and rotate your body so that your butt is facing the boards. Your opponent should then be behind you and you can move forward or along the blue line.

I would still never recommend this as a first option playing from the point. A dump in, pass or shot is still a better option. But in a league with weaker skaters you can let them take themselves out of position. I would try this less and less the better your competition gets. And in a contact league I would try this never.

Steelhead16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 04:56 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I wouldn't try to dangle at the point. A turnover and the attacker has a guaranteed breakaway with no hope of anyone catching him.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote