HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Witt's award and Jason Smith

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-17-2004, 02:49 PM
  #1
Sethis
Registered User
 
Sethis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,402
vCash: 725
Witt's award and Jason Smith

Well, the hard-hitting D man in his late 20s, captain of the Washington Capitals, Brenden Witt was just awarded $2.2 million for one year. Personally I think this is very good news for the Smith negotiations in that they are very comparable (including areas such as leadership, intagibles like shot blocking and minutes played/role on the team).

With Smith coming off a ?2.5 million? contract, I don't see him getting much of a raise.

Thoughts?

Sethis is offline  
Old
08-17-2004, 02:56 PM
  #2
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,860
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Is Smith even better then Witt? Probably, but if he is - it isn't by a whole lot I can say that for sure.

__________________
http://hfboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=160 - the Unofficial HF Political board
thome_26 is offline  
Old
08-17-2004, 03:05 PM
  #3
copperandblue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 10,724
vCash: 500
I like Jason Smith (the one from last year not the year before) and 2.5 mil seems like a pretty reasonable salary for him.

I would expect that if there is a problem in getting him locked up, it will say more about his loyalty to the union above anything else.

In the end I would expect that he gets a token raise (ala Brewer) and is offered 2.7(?)(something he should feel lucky to get) per on a three year deal

If he doesn't sign then too me it suggests that he spent too much time with Marchant and not enough with Moreau and Staios.

copperandblue is offline  
Old
08-17-2004, 04:16 PM
  #4
Cujo_31
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 688
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethis

With Smith coming off a ?2.5 million? contract, I don't see him getting much of a raise.

Thoughts?
Jason Smith made 2.3 million last season.

Cujo_31 is offline  
Old
08-17-2004, 04:39 PM
  #5
Wolfpack
Registered User
 
Wolfpack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,036
vCash: 500
I'll be the first to admit that I don't get a chance to see Witt play very often, but I hope I'm not the only one that thinks that Smith is a better player. Even if he isn't, I think Jason is probably more valuable to his team. Wasn't Witt -22 or something like that last season? I know he was on a bad team, but that is just brutal. With only 12 pts last season I'm actually surprised he was awarded as much as 2.2. I hope the intangibles of being a captain aren't worth that much, because Jason can always lean on that too.

Wolfpack is offline  
Old
08-17-2004, 04:47 PM
  #6
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Darth Milbury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Searching for Kvasha
Country: Bosnia and Herzegovina
Posts: 37,703
vCash: 500
Well, as an Islander fan, I have to point out that both Janne N and Kenny J make about 3 million. I think of Jason Smith as being roughly in the same league as those guys, maybe a notch below, maybe not. So, I think a salary between 2.5 and 3 is fair.

Darth Milbury is offline  
Old
08-17-2004, 04:58 PM
  #7
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,860
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Ya, in value to the team? Smith is in the same league - but offense is what pays in the NHL..... but a 7.5 million deal over 3 years would be splendid.

thome_26 is offline  
Old
08-17-2004, 04:59 PM
  #8
copperandblue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 10,724
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
Well, as an Islander fan, I have to point out that both Janne N and Kenny J make about 3 million. I think of Jason Smith as being roughly in the same league as those guys, maybe a notch below, maybe not. So, I think a salary between 2.5 and 3 is fair.
Niinnimaa has, before last season, been consistantly over 30 pts. I think he struggled playing behind Hamrlik last year so that probably accounts for some of the decline. With that, defenceman who can put up points traditionally have made more than those that don't, guys like Smith.

I was happy Niinnimaa got 3 mil but I think it is a little high for him. Kenny J is definately overpaid and in an ideal world I see Smith as a 2.2 kinda guy. In the scope of the current market, between 2.5 and 3 is probably reasonable.

copperandblue is offline  
Old
08-17-2004, 05:07 PM
  #9
Mr Sakich
Registered User
 
Mr Sakich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Motel 35
Posts: 8,057
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by copperandblue
Niinnimaa has, before last season, been consistantly over 30 pts. I think he struggled playing behind Hamrlik last year so that probably accounts for some of the decline. With that, defenceman who can put up points traditionally have made more than those that don't, guys like Smith.

I was happy Niinnimaa got 3 mil but I think it is a little high for him. Kenny J is definately overpaid and in an ideal world I see Smith as a 2.2 kinda guy. In the scope of the current market, between 2.5 and 3 is probably reasonable.
as matts pointed out in another thread, Janne played injured most of last year and that would account for his poor season. IMO, a healthy Janne is worth 3 mill easy. I would take a healthy janne over hammer any day just for the entertainment value of him occasionally wiring one at his own goalie.

Mr Sakich is offline  
Old
08-17-2004, 05:13 PM
  #10
copperandblue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 10,724
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich
as matts pointed out in another thread, Janne played injured most of last year and that would account for his poor season. IMO, a healthy Janne is worth 3 mill easy. I would take a healthy janne over hammer any day just for the entertainment value of him occasionally wiring one at his own goalie.
He's one of the good guys and can honestly say that in todays NHL where there are MANY players overpaid, I am least bothered by a guy like Niinnimaa being one of them.

However, on the flip side where up till now, players are pretty muched guaranteed raises at every turn and in many cases are paid for what they did last year only to never repeat or live up to their potential, I would submit that injury or not he didn't have a very good year and as such should have been offered and signed a one year deal for no more than he made last year.

If injuries were holding him back then next year should be better and he will get his deserved raise then.

copperandblue is offline  
Old
08-17-2004, 08:34 PM
  #11
Boozers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,408
vCash: 500
Time will tell. I mean Stillman was awarded 3.9 million which is absurd

Boozers is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:20 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.