HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

RANGERS Q&A - Dwight Helminen

Closed Thread

Old
08-17-2004, 05:25 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

vCash: 500
RANGERS Q&A - Dwight Helminen

http://newyorkrangers.com/pressbox/p...es.asp?id=1297

Q: Hey Dwight - I've read a lot about your defensive and penalty killing proficiencies. I have heard comparisons to John Madden and Todd Marchant. What role do you think you will play for the Rangers in the future? Also what player do you most compare your style of play too? – Nick C.

DH: The player that I model myself after would probably be Todd Marchant. We have similar styles of play. He’s a good skater and I also see myself as a checking center that can contribute offensively. I also see myself as a penalty killer who skates and works hard every day. At the end of the night, I know I’ve had a good game if the opponent’s top players have been kept off the scoreboard.

if this kid turns out as good as marchant its another good move by sather.

Old
08-17-2004, 08:02 PM
Bob Froese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner
http://newyorkrangers.com/pressbox/p...es.asp?id=1297

Q: Hey Dwight - I've read a lot about your defensive and penalty killing proficiencies. I have heard comparisons to John Madden and Todd Marchant. What role do you think you will play for the Rangers in the future? Also what player do you most compare your style of play too? – Nick C.

DH: The player that I model myself after would probably be Todd Marchant. We have similar styles of play. He’s a good skater and I also see myself as a checking center that can contribute offensively. I also see myself as a penalty killer who skates and works hard every day. At the end of the night, I know I’ve had a good game if the opponent’s top players have been kept off the scoreboard.

if this kid turns out as good as marchant its another good move by sather.
for some reason i think we have a keeper with this one, great get by sather. imo he will be a excellent checking center who i think could get a very fair amount of 2nd line ice time, at 6'0" 200 lbs if he could add another 10lbs or so maybe a couple lbs less , nyr definitly got the steal. i look foward to seeing this kid playing for NYR.

Old
08-17-2004, 10:34 PM
Aaron Vickers
FC Hockey

Send a message via ICQ to Aaron Vickers Send a message via MSN to Aaron Vickers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Froese
for some reason i think we have a keeper with this one, great get by sather. imo he will be a excellent checking center who i think could get a very fair amount of 2nd line ice time, at 6'0" 200 lbs if he could add another 10lbs or so maybe a couple lbs less , nyr definitly got the steal. i look foward to seeing this kid playing for NYR.
Hate to say it, but Helminen is definitely not 6'0, unless they were measuring him on skates. What he lacks in size, though, he more then makes up in other areas.

Stay tuned, gentlemen, because Hockey's Future had a chance to catch up with the Hancock, Michigan native as well.

08-17-2004, 10:44 PM
NYRangers

"Stay tuned, gentlemen, because Hockey's Future had a chance to catch up with the Hancock, Michigan native as well"

Whoho! I dont think you understand, around here we usually dont get any updates from the site. Nobody wants to volunteer (understandably) so this is awesome, when will it be published?

Old
08-17-2004, 10:46 PM
Aaron Vickers
FC Hockey

Send a message via ICQ to Aaron Vickers Send a message via MSN to Aaron Vickers
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers
"Stay tuned, gentlemen, because Hockey's Future had a chance to catch up with the Hancock, Michigan native as well"

Whoho! I dont think you understand, around here we usually dont get any updates from the site. Nobody wants to volunteer (understandably) so this is awesome, when will it be published?
It's not up to me, in regards to the publish date.

I do know, though, that it isn't far away.

Old
08-18-2004, 12:17 AM
NYR469

here is the HF interview

Q&A with Dwight Helminen

Old
08-18-2004, 10:20 AM
AJ1982

Send a message via AIM to AJ1982
With the lockout looming I don't think there was much to gain at all in helminen leaving school. He should have stuck around in Michigan for one more year. He might be a John Madden type player in the future but I don't think he's there yet. Even John Madden played all 4 years at Michigan and then took a few years in Europe to polish his game before jumping to the Devils. I think Helminen will take at least a couple years in the AHL before making the Rangers.

Old
08-18-2004, 10:46 AM
in the hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Vickers
It's not up to me, in regards to the publish date.

I do know, though, that it isn't far away.
great interview, thanks

will there be more to follow from calgary?

Last edited by in the hall: 08-18-2004 at 10:59 AM.
Old
08-18-2004, 11:06 AM
Funkymoses

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1982
With the lockout looming I don't think there was much to gain at all in helminen leaving school. He should have stuck around in Michigan for one more year.
he could have stuck around UM for another year... but he wouldn't have been able to play hockey, as Dwight apparently was teetering on the knife-edge of grade-eligibility and came down on the wrong side.

Still, I think a defensively-capable center like Helminen could find a place on the Rangers sooner than expected. He's not big and he never will be but he has great wheels and good chemistry with Ortmeyer.

Old
08-18-2004, 11:37 AM
Chief

I am a big Helminen fan and Marchant is the guy I always compare him to. The deal to get Helminen often gets lost in all the deadline deals the Rangers pulled off but it could be one of the most fruitful.

Closed Thread