Skellefteå 3 20.00%
Brynäs 12 80.00%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old
09-29-2011, 02:08 PM
His Beardliness
#SireBabcock

vCash: 1125
Oh man, FBK actually scored. It's a miracle!

His Beardliness is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 03:41 PM
Everlasting

vCash: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by His Beardliness View Post
Oh man, FBK actually scored. It's a miracle!
And Timrå won!

Does god really exist?

Everlasting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 09:54 AM
SurMartin

vCash: 500
So apparently this is a blind-side hit.

SurMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 11:59 AM
His Beardliness
#SireBabcock

He's lucky we don't have Shanny.

Old
10-03-2011, 07:34 PM
SurMartin

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRM View Post
So not only does the GWG in the shootout count for the shooter but also against the goalie? Pure BS.
The real goalie-stats (round 8 not included):
http://northpower.nu/wordpress/?p=2362

Would post it but I have no idea how to make those "tables" here.

Old
10-04-2011, 01:29 AM
Ribban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Names View Post
So apparently this is a blind-side hit.

Granted I watch a lot more hockey from the NHL and the WHL, it sure looks like a pretty nasty hit, and totally unnecessary at that.

The argument of, "His head was down," or whatever, simply doesn't exist anymore. It might seem unrealistic to those of us who are a bit older and have watched the game for a while, but I have to say that the PeeWee's we're coaching now have no problems understanding when and when not to step up and say, "Hello!"

Interesting tidbit from our last coaches meeting, coming straight from the CHL, hockey Canada, and USA hockey, which is that several great hockey minds predict that checking will pretty much be gone from top-level hockey in 5-10 years because the game is picking up in speed so much that it simply won't pay off to go for the big hits anymore. The crystal balls indicate that teams teach players to focus on skating and positioning to get better angles and pinching off opponents to make sure you don't get out of position, keep your speed, and increase your chances of moving the puck to an intended target. If that's a hint of things to come with the ice surface in the NHL (talks have been had about opening it up a bit), who knows? But, USA hockey moved up the checking age from PeeWees (U12) to Bantams (U14) this year, which has a lot to do with liability issues and keeping players in the game, but also a vision of emphasizing speed and skill for a different kind of players and game down the road.

Ribban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 01:39 AM
LiveeviL
No unique points

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to LiveeviL
The hit is a hit to the head (principal area) and there is an intent too. It would be suspension worthy I guess, with reduced suspension due to the reviving player putting himself in an unnecessary bad position and the history of the hitter. 1-2 games in the NHL?

Last edited by LiveeviL: 10-04-2011 at 03:31 AM. Reason: Early Morning Grammar!
LiveeviL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 01:54 AM
Ribban

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveeviL View Post
The hit is a hit to the hit (principal area) and there is an intent too. It would be suspension worthy I guess, with reduced suspension due to the reviving player putting himself in an unnecessary bad position and the history of the hitter. 1-2 games in the NHL?
My guess is that it could render a lot more these days, as the NHL want to set some examples. The intent is there to knock the guy out of his briches because the opportunity presented itself. That could have gone REALLY BAD, and it's sickening and tiring to hear all the hockey experts jump up and down based on the consequence of an action (when someone finally get really injured), as opposed to the action itself, which could have prevented the injury - reactive vs. proactive.

In all reality, the guy with the puck is skating out of control, and the defender could have easily angeled off the guy in white by turning right (going with the flow of the puck), getting the inside, and easily pushed the guy off the puck, squared up and been in an excellent shooting position. Instead he went after the guy's head to turn out the lights?! I mean, really?!

Old
10-04-2011, 04:44 AM
SurMartin

The only thing I was commenting on was the whole "blind side" thing though. Might be a little deceiving as he's turning a bit at the end but he's practically straight in front of him.

I think everyone in the arena was waiting for him to get a 2+game. People are just a bit annoyed by Diciplinnämndens inconsistency.
He got 3 games, which I would have been fine with, but if you take the fact that he doesn't have a history at all of hitting (http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=284)
and the fact that Jimmie Ölvestad (with a history of hitting) got the same amount of games for his hit on Mattias Persson..

Old
10-04-2011, 07:50 AM
Doghandler

Quote:
The only thing I was commenting on was the whole "blind side" thing though. Might be a little deceiving as he's turning a bit at the end but he's practically straight in front of him.

I think everyone in the arena was waiting for him to get a 2+game. People are just a bit annoyed by Diciplinnämndens inconsistency.
He got 3 games, which I would have been fine with, but if you take the fact that he doesn't have a history at all of hitting (http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=284)
and the fact that Jimmie Ölvestad (with a history of hitting) got the same amount of games for his hit on Mattias Persson..
First of all. I am a HV fan. Just to get that part out of the way. And have to say I agree with you here. I see 2-3 games for the Almqvist hit as ok. I however do not understand how a repeat offender as Ölvestad can get the same.

Doghandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 12:02 PM
Ribban

Quote:

I have no horse in this race, so I don't know much about the history. However, I don't know if history should be a factor, as it doesn't matter much to the guy who gets hit, and if I understand the purpose for the rule, it is to protect the players from getting hit.

On that same note, I think the whole "blind side" discussion has gotten away from its original intent, which was to make sure we keep players in the game and do the best we can to keep forced retirements due to concussions and what not to a minimum. I certainly agree with you that the checker is well in sight of the target, but the point is just that the target is out of control, and therefore not playable. I'm torn on the issue, but I believe the original idea was to make these guys untouchable, much like if they didn't have the puck. The drawback is obvious, a guy out of control reaps a favor, so nobody claims the system is perfect, but it was a choice between two evils.

Anyway, if I misunderstod this, or if maybe the SEL took a different view on this from the NHL, I will leave it up to anybody to correct me (I'm far from certain), but that's how I understood the original intent for the rule. It has, from what I gathered, later been somewhat blurred by the Canadian media and reduced to the "blind side" by the old school boys, who seemingly don't dare to stand in front of the fans or have the humility to admit that hockey will be in a ton of trouble if we don't do something about the injuries that come from the increased size and speed of the players that we see today vs. 10-15 years ago.

Old
10-04-2011, 12:11 PM
Ribban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribban View Post

Interesting tidbit from our last coaches meeting, coming straight from the CHL, hockey Canada, and USA hockey, which is that several great hockey minds predict that checking will pretty much be gone from top-level hockey in 5-10 years because the game is picking up in speed so much that it simply won't pay off to go for the big hits anymore. The crystal balls indicate that teams teach players to focus on skating and positioning to get better angles and pinching off opponents to make sure you don't get out of position, keep your speed, and increase your chances of moving the puck to an intended target. If that's a hint of things to come with the ice surface in the NHL (talks have been had about opening it up a bit), who knows? But, USA hockey moved up the checking age from PeeWees (U12) to Bantams (U14) this year, which has a lot to do with liability issues and keeping players in the game, but also a vision of emphasizing speed and skill for a different kind of players and game down the road.
I guess I should add that Hockey Canada is not moving its checking age, which is still PeeWees.

Old
10-04-2011, 02:29 PM
His Beardliness
#SireBabcock

Oh my god Viktor Fasth may never rest again

Old
10-04-2011, 02:33 PM
zecke26

AIK could change their name to LOL.

zecke26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 02:36 PM
Harks

EPIC loss!

Harks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 02:57 PM
Systemfel
Global Moderator
Hockey Talk by Country

vCash: 50
I ****ing hate Hyvönen. Lazy ****ing ******.

Systemfel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 04:43 PM
SirKillalot

vCash: 390
http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportblade...cle13727407.ab

With 12:10 to go, the score was: AIK 7:2 HV71

In 4:55, HV71 scored 5 goals and won the game in a shoot-out!

SirKillalot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 06:26 PM
Ribban

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirKillalot View Post
http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportblade...cle13727407.ab

With 12:10 to go, the score was: AIK 7:2 HV71

In 4:55, HV71 scored 5 goals and won the game in a shoot-out!

I guess it's not nice to laugh at someone else's misfortune, but how likely is it that AIK's players had checked out of the game and basically just hung around on the bench, seeing:

7-3 (no biggie... hey, what's for dinner after the game?)
7-4 (Wow! They got another one. Good for them),
7-5 (Hmmm... this sux. The headlines wud have looked better had we won big)
7-6 (WTF!?!)
7-7 (R U *****ING KIDDIN' ME?!?!).
7-8 (Gimme a gun someone)

Old
10-05-2011, 06:01 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Just unbelievable!

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 06:09 AM
mikjo344

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribban View Post

I guess it's not nice to laugh at someone else's misfortune, but how likely is it that AIK's players had checked out of the game and basically just hung around on the bench, seeing:

7-3 (no biggie... hey, what's for dinner after the game?)
7-4 (Wow! They got another one. Good for them),
7-5 (Hmmm... this sux. The headlines wud have looked better had we won big)
7-6 (WTF!?!)
7-7 (R U *****ING KIDDIN' ME?!?!).
7-8 (Gimme a gun someone)
I Guess Boork didn't see this one coming when saying 3-0 is the toughest lead to protect.

mikjo344 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 08:27 AM
Ribban

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikjo344 View Post
I Guess Boork didn't see this one coming when saying 3-0 is the toughest lead to protect.
Da Boorker!

Old
10-06-2011, 04:23 PM
cheerupmurray

Take away that AIK-HV71 game and the average goal scoring in Elitserien would be around 1 goal/per game, almost...

It's a really low scoring league this season.

cheerupmurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 06:22 AM
Yabob

Looking at last night's results someone who don't know the names of the teams in different sports in Sweden might have thought it was the latest soccer scores.

Yabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 06:52 AM
Ciccarelli

Our boy Jesse Joensuu looking good ATM, only seen one game from him this season but he really seems to know how to use his size to his advantage in the Elitserien rinks. Alot of the bigger, heavier guys have a hard time adjusting to the big rinks in Sweden but JJ seems to have found his way. A couple of seasons in Sweden and back to Ässät, right Jesse?

Ciccarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 07:14 AM
Ciccarelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Systemfel View Post
I ****ing hate Hyvönen. Lazy ****ing ******.
Hyvönen is one of the guys who has this amazing ability to be hated even if he scored PPG

Ciccarelli is offline   Reply With Quote