HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers Training Camp Discussion (9/30: Sauer returns to practice; Kolarik tears ACL)

Old
09-19-2011, 12:07 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post
he played Gilroy over emminger when he wanted to get some offense out of the d crew....no way he keeps Del Zotto out of the line up so he can play emminger

clearly they want offensive contribution from the dmen...erixon is not their answer, not yet at least
emminger will be the 7th man and can fill in for any of our 6 starters if need be, but he's not going to block Del zotto from a roster spot
yeah i agree, emminger will be the 7th man and thats pretty obvious. whats less obvious is who will be on that final pair.

erixon, right now, has proven hes no fluke. he is legit. his play has been stellar and hes shown an ability to play poised and controlled in all 3 zones. he tends to make the right play at the right time, all the time. his offensive abilities are way underrated too. he showed me hes got a very hard, low, acurate shot and hes not shy about using it. lets see how he does in camp though.

no question the buzz is all over erixon right now. no way in hell he isnt breaking camp as the 5th guy.

del zotto should be concerned. bigtime. injuries not with standing, mdz is looking at erixon taking his roster spot and thus sending him back to the whale to start the season. mdz's defensive shortcomings are an issue. unless hes really improved that part of his game, and shows that in camp, erixon has a huge advantage.

if vtank can step up and play his game, i see this as a real possability.

staal/girardi
sauer/mcd
erixon/vtank
emy

mdz to the whale and first call up

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 12:14 PM
ChrisKreider20
Oh Hai Guise

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
yeah i agree, emminger will be the 7th man and thats pretty obvious. whats less obvious is who will be on that final pair.

erixon, right now, has proven hes no fluke. he is legit. his play has been stellar and hes shown an ability to play poised and controlled in all 3 zones. he tends to make the right play at the right time, all the time. his offensive abilities are way underrated too. he showed me hes got a very hard, low, acurate shot and hes not shy about using it. lets see how he does in camp though.

no question the buzz is all over erixon right now. no way in hell he isnt breaking camp as the 5th guy.

del zotto should be concerned. bigtime. injuries not with standing, mdz is looking at erixon taking his roster spot and thus sending him back to the whale to start the season. mdz's defensive shortcomings are an issue. unless hes really improved that part of his game, and shows that in camp, erixon has a huge advantage.

staal/girardi
sauer/mcd
erixon/vtank
emy

I think we are too quick to forget how good this guy was during his rookie season.
I want DZ to make it. He has way more ability than V-tank. The question is whether he can clean up his dzone coverage.

I feel like some people would prefer he doesn't make the team, which is just silly.

ChrisKreider20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 12:20 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRfan68 View Post
I think we are too quick to forget how good this guy was during his rookie season.
I want DZ to make it. He has way more ability than V-tank. The question is whether he can clean up his dzone coverage.

I feel like some people would prefer he doesn't make the team, which is just silly.
its not about ability or comparing him to others.

we have guys like staal, mcd and now erixon who are all capable puck movers. heck, an argument could be made that all our dmen are reasonably good skaters.

its about his mdz showing he can play nhl level defense and hold his own against nhl forwards.

his d game last year was pretty brutal. a guy like vtank brings an element that this team lacks. bigtime.

thats pretty much it.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 12:22 PM
92hatchattack

What time does the second scrimmage start?

92hatchattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 12:22 PM
Revelation
Reanimated

Quote:

staal/girardi
sauer/mcd
erixon/vtank
emy

That's how I see it playing out. Even if MDZ is, as reported, in tremendous shape and plays his game, that still doesn't mean his defense is where it needs to be. He was sent down to the Whale for a reason, and nothing has changed. He got injured and didn't get the necessary time to work on his defensive game. It sucks for him, but he needs time in the AHL to get his defensive game to the NHL level. Then and only then do I want him on the team.

It will be a bonus when we finally get MDZ's offense added to our team, with something resembling adequate defense. Until then, I don't think our offensive situation as it pertains to our D corps is as dire as some have stated. We don't have that big-time puck-mover on the back line, but Staal, McDonagh, and Erixon all have pretty solid outlet passes, and Richards is our PPQB. MDZ needs to dominate the AHL and do it while learning defensive responsibility.

Valentenko adds some snarl and a big shot to our blue line. He's not going to be a world beater, but he is a solid option for the 3rd pair with Erixon. If he impresses throughout the season and MDZ is ready, then you move him in some type of package for futures or a missing piece. Either way, you've turned a spare part into a needed piece or some draft picks.

Revelation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 12:26 PM
Hellion
Stone Age Hockey

It starts at 1 pm eastern I believe

Hellion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 12:30 PM
Hellion
Stone Age Hockey

Some good news finally:

thenyrangersNew York Rangers
Michael Sauer tells me that he will take part in his first camp scrimmage this afternoon..."gonna give it a twirl!" #NYR

Old
09-19-2011, 12:31 PM
92hatchattack

Thanks

Old
09-19-2011, 12:35 PM
haveandare

Did AA play yet or is he in the next scrimmage?

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 12:38 PM
Hellion
Stone Age Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare View Post
Did AA play yet or is he in the next scrimmage?
I think he is coming up at 1 with the Green team

Old
09-19-2011, 12:40 PM
Vito Andolini

Quote:
its not about ability or comparing him to others.

we have guys like staal, mcd and now erixon who are all capable puck movers. heck, an argument could be made that all our dmen are reasonably good skaters.
Being capable and being good are not the same thing. Del Zotto isn't going to make the team because he's a capable puck mover. He's going to make it because he brings something the other players don't.

Quote:
its about his mdz showing he can play nhl level defense and hold his own against nhl forwards.

his d game last year was pretty brutal. a guy like vtank brings an element that this team lacks. bigtime.

thats pretty much it.
No question his D was brutual last year. But then again, it was brutal his first year too. That's just how it is right now. The coaching staff has been willing to live with some defensive shortcomings from him so long as he's making progress offensively. I don't think those expectations have changed. If he produces offense, he'll be in the lineup.

BTW, I'm intruiged by Vtank...but I really don't think this team lacks his style big time. Sauer, Girardi, & Staal all play a strong physical game. McD has the potential to as well.

Vito Andolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 12:45 PM
MugatuNYR
so hot right now

I dont think we realize how lucky we are to be able to pick up a player like Erixon. I really think the kid is gonna be a stud.

MugatuNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 12:46 PM
McDonagh
Slow it down 30GHz

I have a couple questions. What are the details on the first scrimmage this morning? aside from the fight and play fight. What goes on tomorrow? more scrimmaging or drills with pucks?

McDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 12:48 PM
haveandare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
I think he is coming up at 1 with the Green team
Awesome, thanks. I'm really excited to see what he can do this year. It could be a really big step up for him.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 12:49 PM
Revelation
Reanimated

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptCally View Post
I dont think we realize how lucky we are to be able to pick up a player like Erixon. I really think the kid is gonna be a stud.
Agreed. I can't even imagine how much it burns Calgary fans that he wouldn't sign with them.

He's going to make Feaster look like a moron when he's on our roster for the entire season. The man should have just remained professional and kept his mouth shut.

Revelation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 12:51 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 910
Awards:
Agreed with ODC that Del Zotto needs to improve defensively to make the club. Richards and Erixon can run the point on the PP, and Staal, Giardi and McDonagh are competent offensively. Sauer has upside as well. We could certainly use Del Zotto's offense, but he needs to play competent defense to stick. Even with Richards, we're still a team that emphasizes strong defense.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 12:53 PM
beastly115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito Andolini View Post
Being capable and being good are not the same thing. Del Zotto isn't going to make the team because he's a capable puck mover. He's going to make it because he brings something the other players don't.

No question his D was brutual last year. But then again, it was brutal his first year too. That's just how it is right now. The coaching staff has been willing to live with some defensive shortcomings from him so long as he's making progress offensively. I don't think those expectations have changed. If he produces offense, he'll be in the lineup.

BTW, I'm intruiged by Vtank...but I really don't think this team lacks his style big time. Sauer, Girardi, & Staal all play a strong physical game. McD has the potential to as well.
This pretty much.

MDZ brings an element to the team that we don't already have. He's allowed to be sub-par defensively as long as he can provide offense. It's when he doesn't that it becomes a problem. He becomes a liability.

IMO, the bottom pair is a lock with MDZ and Erixon.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 12:53 PM
Hellion
Stone Age Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepan Up View Post
I have a couple questions. What are the details on the first scrimmage this morning? aside from the fight and play fight. What goes on tomorrow? more scrimmaging or drills with pucks?
I read Jim Cerny saying that Bourque "was terrific" and that Thomas "has been quiet".
As to what happens tormorrow I am not certain.

Good twitter group: http://twitter.com/#!/Osminator/nyr posted by Osminator yesterday.

Old
09-19-2011, 12:57 PM
mullichicken25

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaQUp View Post
This pretty much.

MDZ brings an element to the team that we don't already have. He's allowed to be sub-par defensively as long as he can provide offense. It's when he doesn't that it becomes a problem. He becomes a liability.

IMO, the bottom pair is a lock with MDZ and Erixon.
exactly

if there was a rep button here you'd have a +1 from me

MDZ will always be prone to turnovers and dzone blunders to some degree. Its just a matter of positive contribution outweighting negative. Last year we all know which way the scales tipped, but im very confident we'll see them tip back in the right direction this year.

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 01:11 PM
NYR Viper

Has anyone read ANYTHING on McIlrath all TC? I haven't....

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 01:15 PM
92hatchattack

Anyone know how mza is looking?

Old
09-19-2011, 01:15 PM
Nich

yeah sticking to me MDZ to the Whale, with Tank getting the 6th spot (erixon the 5th)

http://hfrangersblog.com/2011/09/19/...p-scrimmage-3/

Michael Del Zotto is the player I focused on the most this morning and I saw good and bad from him. He is still a work in progress as far as his defense goes, and he is still making passes that are easily picked off in the neutral zone leading to scoring chances the other way. We will see how he does in the exhibition games, but the problem appears to be in his head and not his skill or fitness. We shall see if he is ready by seasonís opening.

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 01:20 PM
Hellion
Stone Age Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92hatchattack View Post
Anyone know how mza is looking?
http://hfrangersblog.com/2011/09/18/...scrimmage-one/

Quote:
Mats Zuccarello was also wearing green this morning, and although at first he looked very defensively vulnerable, he picked up his game as the first period moved along. By the second period, he was positioned better and began making some excellent plays. None of them resulted in goals (which sounds familiar), but he created chances.

Old
09-19-2011, 01:32 PM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Has anyone read ANYTHING on McIlrath all TC? I haven't....
Yes:

Quote:
McIlrath continues to show the growth, both physically and in his game, over the past year, though he’s not ready to make the jump from juniors to the NHL.
So, er, no, not really.

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/rangerrants/

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 01:38 PM
92hatchattack

Sauer must be feeling fine if he is scoring goals.