HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Newport Sports Management (Doughty, Schenn, Marchand, Bailey)

Old
08-27-2011, 03:22 PM
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion

vCash: 500
Newport Sports Management (Doughty, Schenn, Marchand, Bailey)

While we all discuss the players, contracts and value repeatedly and try to place a value on the NHL player, I was wondering how much a players agent truly controls the perception of a player in the NHL.

Enter: Newport Sports Management

http://www.islanderspointblank.com/2...-negotiations/

As we sit here and wonder what Schenn, Marchand, Bailey and Doughty are all going to finally sign for and when I find it very strange that all four are represented by Newport Sports Management. So I decided to look a little deeper into who else was a member of the agency:

http://www.thehockeyagency.com/index2.html

On this page you will see the current players represented by Wade Arnott and company. While I am only looking at this year, I do remember the Phil Kessel situation in Boston where the same events took place that are happening with Doughty, Schenn, Bailey and Marchand. It seems to me that they are maximizing their players values by trying to get an outside bidder (ala Brian Burke) to up their value and will hold out.

My question is this:

1. Do you see the negative player image taking place this year to these players within your own fanbase?

2. Looking over the players represented on their page do you see another player and remember a similar situation as we are seeing this season with Doughty and company?

3. Do you think this will affect GM's and players interactions with Newport Sports Management?

I'm all for the players getting paid their value, but it does seem strange to me that the big holdouts all come from the same agency. I am big fans of these four players and would consider myself a big Marchand fan while Doughty and Schenn are my favorite players on their respective teams. Slowly I am seeing a negative perception of them on the HF Boards due to the holdout.

Cheers

Last edited by Coach Parker: 08-27-2011 at 03:36 PM.
Coach Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 03:45 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Parker View Post
2. Looking over the players represented on their page do you see another player and remember a similar situation as we are seeing this season with Doughty and company?
Who can forget that Brad Richards Circus they had on July 1. Most people assumed he most likely was going to sign with the Rangers and at the end of the day he did, but what the agency did(and I don't blame the player) was ridiculous

I think they might have overtaken Mark Gandler as the most annoying agent(s) in hockey.

boredmale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 03:50 PM
MountainGoat
Re-sign Jagr

Parise is gonna cashout big time next summer.... sigh

MountainGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 03:54 PM
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
Who can forget that Brad Richards Circus they had on July 1. Most people assumed he most likely was going to sign with the Rangers and at the end of the day he did, but what the agency did(and I don't blame the player) was ridiculous

I think they might have overtaken Mark Gandler as the most annoying agent(s) in hockey.
How could I forget that! Remember how they had the GM's fly to them and pitch to their player in attempt to drive up the value? I can agree with getting the top dollar but once again the negative image of the player comes into play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie1987 View Post
That may be televised online with the money from viewers going to the player. Simon Cowell will be a guest judge/agent with the best pitch winning Agent Idol.

Old
08-27-2011, 04:02 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 627
Quote:
That may be televised online with the money from viewers going to the player. Simon Cowell will be a guest judge/agent with the best pitch winning Agent Idol.
Yeah, that would be a sad day for hockey.

That is, unless Parise says he's taking his talents to Dallas.

08-27-2011, 04:06 PM
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
Yeah, that would be a sad day for hockey.

That is, unless Parise says he's taking his talents to Dallas.
No, if I have this correctly, he will say he is interested in every team and drop to the media in each city his interest in being there. Maybe a 'it would be an honour to play for ________' from the player leaked here and there.

Old
08-27-2011, 04:14 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Shea Weber fired Don Meehan just a couple months before his previous contract expired. Jarrett Bousquet is his new agent and was the one who represented him in the arbitration hearing earlier this month. They got a record breaking award.

As for the number of players Meehan's firm represents that are still unsigned, I think it has more to do with this firm representing such a large number of NHL players. Many of those players just happen to be RFAs with no arbitration rights. In these cases the only leverage the agent has is delaying until the last minute, which is what's happenning with Doughty, Marchand et al IMO.

08-27-2011, 04:17 PM
Freudian
No Guenin, No cry

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie1987 View Post
If Parises wish is to get paid next July 1st, I don't think it matters much who his agent is. He's Zach Parise. GMs will be throwing money at him.

Freudian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 04:21 PM
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by JawandaPuck View Post
Shea Weber fired Don Meehan just a couple months before his previous contract expired. Jarrett Bousquet is his new agent and was the one who represented him in the arbitration hearing earlier this month. They got a record breaking award.

As for the number of players Meehan's firm represents that are still unsigned, I think it has more to do with this firm representing such a large number of NHL players. Many of those players just happen to be RFAs with no arbitration rights. In these cases the only leverage the agent has is delaying until the last minute, which is what's happenning with Doughty, Marchand et al IMO.
Now how much of that 'leveraging' is affecting the image of the player they are representing? It seems to me that NSM is trying to turn the RFA status into a UFA status. Maximizing their players' contract value seems to be diminishing their public profile. It seems to me that the players in question have contracts out there (Weber, Couture) that would be deemed equivalent to their players but the process is being pushed to the last possible day.

If this is the common practice by the agency, how will GM's react to them each year? Do you think Chiarelli looks at his Marchand situation and references the Kessel debacle?

Old
08-27-2011, 04:22 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 723
I think that this has more to do with Donald Fehr then we may know--when fehr was in charge of MLB---contract talks went like this a lot

Heaven wont take me and hell is afraid I'd take 0ver
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 04:25 PM
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStig View Post
I think that this has more to do with Donald Fehr then we may know--when fehr was in charge of MLB---contract talks went like this a lot
Great point. I wasn't even thinking of the NHLPA angle. The first red flag was all of these four being represented by NSM, and when you pair a willing agency with a PA boss like Fehr, is this the beginning of the contracts being pushed to the training camp?

How much will this affect sponsorship/marketing of the player? People love the blue-collar guy and the superstar but at what point does this turn negative?

Old
08-27-2011, 04:30 PM
Kitten Mittons

Newport is very well known for the ability to suck the most out of the GMs (Meehan is one of the best in that regard), through "tough" tactics. Players that care a lot about money will always choose this agency, so this cycle will never stop.

Kitten Mittons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 06:23 PM
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
Newport is very well known for the ability to suck the most out of the GMs (Meehan is one of the best in that regard), through "tough" tactics. Players that care a lot about money will always choose this agency, so this cycle will never stop.
Pronger is another one of their clients who got the most out of his retirement deal. I don't think there is anything wrong with that at all.

What I am seeing is this agency pushing the RFA status to the point where perhaps the image of the player is being affected. Right now Marchand is a hero in Boston, but that can change quickly with enough holdout over money. His endorsement value is at an all-time high in Boston.

Imagine if Subban has a strong playoff run?

Old
08-27-2011, 06:43 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Quote:
Now how much of that 'leveraging' is affecting the image of the player they are representing? It seems to me that NSM is trying to turn the RFA status into a UFA status. Maximizing their players' contract value seems to be diminishing their public profile. It seems to me that the players in question have contracts out there (Weber, Couture) that would be deemed equivalent to their players but the process is being pushed to the last possible day.

If this is the common practice by the agency, how will GM's react to them each year? Do you think Chiarelli looks at his Marchand situation and references the Kessel debacle?
Wade Arnott may not be on Chiarelli's xmas card list. However, I think the Boston GM realizes Marchand and Kessel are different situations. For whatever reason, Kessel no longer wanted to be a Bruin and had his agent use the little leverage they had masterfully, to get Phil out of town and in the city he wanted. In Marchand's case, I think Arnott just wants to get his client the best deal.

Apparently there wasn't a deal worth signing early on. So they wait...and wait...and wait a little longer, until both sides put there best offers on the table. I myself don't begrudge a player in that situation, or view him negatively for letting his agent utilize standard RFA (with no arbitration) negotiating strategy.

I think in most cases now a days, in a cap world where budgets are limited and offers are based on precedence, people on both sides of the negotiating table have reasonable expectations and negotiate in good faith. The exception is usually when a player wants out no matter what. Or when a "regular season wonder but a post season bust" type of player has an agent overlooking the player's obvious downside, and still going for the jugular in negotiations.

Its in those cases, I take issue with the agents and may view the player in a negative light.

JawandaPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 07:03 PM
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by JawandaPuck View Post
Wade Arnott may not be on Chiarelli's xmas card list. However, I think the Boston GM realizes Marchand and Kessel are different situations. For whatever reason, Kessel no longer wanted to be a Bruin and had his agent use the little leverage they had masterfully, to get Phil out of town and in the city he wanted. In Marchand's case, I think Arnott just wants to get his client the best deal.

Apparently there wasn't a deal worth signing early on. So they wait...and wait...and wait a little longer, until both sides put there best offers on the table. I myself don't begrudge a player in that situation, or view him negatively for letting his agent utilize standard RFA (with no arbitration) negotiating strategy.

I think in most cases now a days, in a cap world where budgets are limited and offers are based on precedence, people on both sides of the negotiating table have reasonable expectations and negotiate in good faith. The exception is usually when a player wants out no matter what. Or when a "regular season wonder but a post season bust" type of player has an agent overlooking the player's obvious downside, and still going for the jugular in negotiations.

Its in those cases, I take issue with the agents and may view the player in a negative light.
Great response. Now how much 'good faith' does Newport have left with GM's where it seems every season they have a couple of hold-outs. This year stands out more than any before because of the four that are left on the table and their popularity with the fanbase.

In Toronto, Schenn isn't the best defenseman and is actually a great shutdown/defensive defenseman who traditionally don't get paid much compared to PMD/Offensive defensemen but he is a fan favorite.

In Boston, Marchand is a 2nd line winger who had a good rookie campaign when he was finally united with Bergeron and had a stellar playoffs. Also a fan favorite.

In L.A. Doughty had an off year after having two excellent years and is also the fan favorite in L.A.

Now, at what point are they hurting their image to their fanbase by having their agents play hardball. Specifically, if a GM sees Newport Sports Management do they now just agree to let the negotiations sit until late August because they know the offer they give will be turned down until the 11th hour anyways.

You can already clearly see the backlash that Doughty is getting from the L.A. fanbase and other NHL fans and the last two weeks in Boston have started to dismantle Marchand's heroics in attempt to justify him not deserving the money.

For all we know they are far apart on the negotiations but I can tell you that Newport Sports Management always seems to leak to the media information as a tactic to help their clients and you also wonder how much Lombardi, Chiarelli, Burke and Snow will put up with in order to squeeze the franchise.

Old
08-27-2011, 07:04 PM
KingLB

Meehan=Boras??

KingLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 07:21 PM
magic school bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLB View Post
Meehan=Boras??
He wishes he was Boras.

magic school bus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 08:00 PM
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion

Now that I think about it, in Schenn, Doughty and Marchand's case the GMs all said that they would begin talks 'later'. All three clubs didn't begin talking contracts until well into free agency. If every time you deal with an agent they hold out until the last minute, why even begin talks before August?

Old
08-27-2011, 08:10 PM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
What I am seeing is this agency pushing the RFA status to the point where perhaps the image of the player is being affected. Right now Marchand is a hero in Boston, but that can change quickly with enough holdout over money. His endorsement value is at an all-time high in Boston.
Meehan doesn't just do that with the RFAs. Look at Nabokov. I think the GMs know who is represented by who and don't hold it against the players. As for the media, they can play it whichever way their agenda suits them. I don't personally their image gets hurt if they are signed in late August or early September; but if the players hold out purposefully by the training camp or the start of the season, like Nabokov in 2003, then the red flag is raised.

Old
08-27-2011, 08:18 PM
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion

Quote:
Meehan doesn't just do that with the RFAs. Look at Nabokov. I think the GMs know who is represented by who and don't hold it against the players. As for the media, they can play it whichever way their agenda suits them. I don't personally their image gets hurt if they are signed in late August or early September; but if the players hold out purposefully by the training camp or the start of the season, like Nabokov in 2003, then the red flag is raised.
Yeah it seems to many that the cutoff for a contract is the weekend right before training camp. After that, it is a distraction to the team and the media circus goes into overtime. As a player if you sign I guess it means you are comfortable with the summer circus until you sign in order to get paid.

I still think Marchand's deal will be announced at his parade on the 29th but if it isn't, then all the rumors stating up must have validity.

Old
08-27-2011, 10:58 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

As far as Doughty goes, Lombardi has already said that he is willing to make him the highest paid player on the Kings. That would be an AAV above $7M. That leads me to believe that Meehan wants the deal to be for no more than 5 years (same as Stamkos).

Lombardi probably isn't willing to give Doughty a contract with that kind of AAV unless it buys him 3 or 4 UFA years. Lombardi has said that they have given Meehan the parameters around which the Kings are willing to make a deal. I think a 4 or 5 year deal is out of the question as far as the Kings are concerned.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2011, 01:58 AM
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
As far as Doughty goes, Lombardi has already said that he is willing to make him the highest paid player on the Kings. That would be an AAV above $7M. That leads me to believe that Meehan wants the deal to be for no more than 5 years (same as Stamkos).

Lombardi probably isn't willing to give Doughty a contract with that kind of AAV unless it buys him 3 or 4 UFA years. Lombardi has said that they have given Meehan the parameters around which the Kings are willing to make a deal. I think a 4 or 5 year deal is out of the question as far as the Kings are concerned.
I wonder if Marchand wants the longterm deal as well? It seems to me that NSM wants to get the most money possible for RFA years only and is willing to sit to get it.

Old
08-28-2011, 02:13 AM
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion

Now who do you think signs first? Put them in order...

1. Schenn
2. Doughty
3. Marchand
4. Bailey

Old
08-28-2011, 02:55 AM
Kitten Mittons

Bailey
Schenn
Marchand
Doughty

Basically by reversed priority.

Old
08-28-2011, 10:26 PM
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion

Quote:
Bailey
Schenn
Marchand
Doughty

Basically by reversed priority.
Interesting.

You'd think that Marchand (Couture) and Doughty (Weber) would have contracts and comparable numbers to support their contracts being done.

I am really curious to see what Schenn is asking for based upon his popularity.