HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Thornton gets $6.75 million

Closed Thread

Old
08-17-2004, 06:26 PM
Bruinster*

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Bruinster*
Thornton gets $6.75 million

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=95231

Old
08-17-2004, 06:29 PM
guitaraholic*

sounds aboot right, IMO.

Old
08-17-2004, 06:31 PM
HuskyFlames

So does that mean Iginla should get about the same as they are in the same boat kinda. Iginla leads in goals while Thorton leads in overall points???

Old
08-17-2004, 06:32 PM
Hemsky is a gangsta
Hemsky is a gangsta

re

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick - Flames Fan
So does that mean Iginla should get about the same as they are in the same boat kinda. Iginla leads in goals while Thorton leads in overall points???
I don't think Iginla would take a paycut

Old
08-17-2004, 06:35 PM
guitaraholic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick - Flames Fan
Iginla has the definite advantage of having signed a contract back in the 'pre-lockout' atmosphere. He is going into the negotiations with a high salary. Personally, I can't imagine his salary going up and if it does I think the Flames would have some serious explaining to do.

Old
08-17-2004, 06:56 PM
FlyersFan10*

Now, even though Thornton was awarded the $6.75 million dollar offer, doesn't Boston have a certain amount of time to decide whether or not they will walk away from the offer? You never know what that organization will do. Could you picture if they did walk away from the arbitrator's ruling. I believe that would make Big Joe unrestricted. And could you picture all the teams lining up for Joe's services.

Old
08-17-2004, 06:59 PM
jhopspensfan

In my opinion, I just don't see how Niedermayer can get more money than Thornton.
For that matter, I don't see how Niedermayer got $7 million. I'll take tricky Dick Tarnstrom at $1.5 million over Niedermayer any day...and spend the $5.5 somewhere else.

02-03 Tarnstrom= 41 pts (61 games)
02-03 Niedermayer=39 pts (81 games)

03-04 Tarnstrom=52 pts (80 games)
03-04 Niedermayer=54 pts (81 games)

Sure, points aren't the only stats, but these stats make you think. Niedermayer did have a much better +/-, but he played on a contender with the best goalie in hockey. Dicky plays on a re-building team, but is arguably one of the leagues best PP point men.

Just some food for thought.

Old
08-17-2004, 07:01 PM
Ozy_Flame

Although Thornton and Iginla are similar players statistically, I see Iginla getting between $8 and $9 million per year, when all is said and done. I'm perfectly happy with him at that price - he's more than worth it. Besides, it's still only about $1 million more than last year. In hindsight, that million-dollar raise is worth it for him to carry us into the playoffs again.

But good deal for the Bruins on Thornton though - I'd say management won that one.

Old
08-17-2004, 07:12 PM
McDonald19
Hampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhopspensfan
In my opinion, I just don't see how Niedermayer can get more money than Thornton.

They are worth about the same. #1 center & #1 D-man.

Old
08-17-2004, 07:16 PM
McDonald19
Hampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan10
Now, even though Thornton was awarded the $6.75 million dollar offer, doesn't Boston have a certain amount of time to decide whether or not they will walk away from the offer? You never know what that organization will do. Could you picture if they did walk away from the arbitrator's ruling. I believe that would make Big Joe unrestricted. And could you picture all the teams lining up for Joe's services.
Bruins general manager Mike O'Connell said in a statement that the club will accept the arbitrator's decision.

``We feel that the arbitrator came up with a fair award for both sides and we never considered exercising our walk-away option with Joe,'' said O'Connell

Old
08-17-2004, 07:18 PM
neelynugs

Quote:
nope- couldn't picture that at all

Old
08-17-2004, 07:21 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
I'll take tricky Dick Tarnstrom at $1.5 million over Niedermayer any day...and spend the $5.5 somewhere else.
...And you'd end up at the bottom of the division annually, while Niedermayer plays a critical role in his team winning three Cups, appearing in four Finals, with likely several more very productive seasons still left in him.

Talent wins. And one impact player (which Niedermayer is) is more valuable than two to three average-to-OK players (which Tarnstrom and $5.5M will get you). Sure, the collective stats of Dick and his hypothetical playmates may add up to Niedermayer's, but their impact won't.

Old
08-17-2004, 07:36 PM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Do you mean you extrapolate us walking away from Khristich and Berard to walking away from Joe Thornton? LOL....good stuff man.

Maybe TB will walk away from St Louis because they walked on Stillman....never know what they will do!!

Old
08-17-2004, 07:39 PM
BAuldie

Send a message via ICQ to BAuldie Send a message via MSN to BAuldie
Quote:
For that matter, I don't see how Niedermayer got $7 million. I'll take tricky Dick Tarnstrom at $1.5 million over Niedermayer any day...and spend the $5.5 somewhere else.

Sure, points aren't the only stats, but these stats make you think. Niedermayer did have a much better +/-, but he played on a contender with the best goalie in hockey. Dicky plays on a re-building team, but is arguably one of the leagues best PP point men.

Niedermayer can play defense.. thats why he has a better plus minus.. Tarnstrom also had Lemieux to feed to before that.

I can't believe you'd say that. Niedermayer isn't the Norris winner because of his offense solely.

Old
08-17-2004, 07:47 PM
PecaFan

Ah, good ol' arbitration.

A 28% *drop* in your point totals = a 23% *raise* in your salary.

That's a tough pace to set, he may not be able to drop another 28% next contract.

Old
08-17-2004, 08:00 PM
Vic Rattlehead*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PecaFan
Ah, good ol' arbitration.

A 28% *drop* in your point totals = a 23% *raise* in your salary.

That's a tough pace to set, he may not be able to drop another 28% next contract.
They take into account past seasons and Joe Thornton is in the top 5 I believe in the past three seasons for total points.

Old
08-17-2004, 08:16 PM
CanadaAvalanche

Quote:

Are you being serious?

Tarnstrom is not half the defenseman that Niedermayer is. He can score points, that doesn't mean he is even in the same league. Going by your logic Gonchar is hands down the best defenseman in the league because he put up fantastic numbers and had a bad plus/minus because he played the majority of the the year in Washington. I'll take Niedermayer any day at that price over Tarnstrom because afterall he is one of the major components to New Jersey's success in the past and last years norris trophy winner. He is just as good defensively as he is offensively and unfortunately I can't say the same about Tarnstrom.

As for Thornton I'd say that is a fair award for him.

Last edited by CanadaAvalanche: 08-17-2004 at 08:19 PM.
Old
08-17-2004, 08:17 PM
Amen evil king
Amen, Evil King

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19bruins19
They take into account past seasons and Joe Thornton is in the top 5 I believe in the past three seasons for total points.
He's actually 2nd equal:

Naslund 123g-155a-278p
Bertuzzi 99g-143a-242p
Thornton 81g-161a-242p
Iginla 128g-108a-236p
Jagr 98g-132a-230p

Old
08-17-2004, 08:44 PM
PEli*

Quote:
I hope you aren't a chef. That was the worst tasting meal I've ever eaten. No tip.

Old
08-17-2004, 08:52 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

The award seems fair, especially if Thornton returns to 100 point form. The big question is whether he flourishes as a leader as the team turns over its roster.

Old
08-17-2004, 09:42 PM
Vic Rattlehead*

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedave
The award seems fair, especially if Thornton returns to 100 point form. The big question is whether he flourishes as a leader as the team turns over its roster.
Put Samsonov and Bergeron with Thornton, and he could get back to over 90 points.

Old
08-17-2004, 10:09 PM
Tap on the Ankle
Nobody remembers No2

Quote:
Boston is stingy, but not that stingy. They threw an entire season to get him, and I doubt they're gonna toss him out like a used condom. Worst case scenario, the B's sign and trade him to the highest bidder, but even that would be a stretch.

Old
08-17-2004, 10:12 PM
Vic Rattlehead*

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisher
Boston is stingy, but not that stingy. They threw an entire season to get him, and I doubt they're gonna toss him out like a used condom. Worst case scenario, the B's sign and trade him to the highest bidder, but even that would be a stretch.
Exactly, that is the bruins approach.

Awesome avatar

Old
08-17-2004, 10:36 PM
vega007

Seriously, Thornton is an absolute bargain at 6.75. He's probably worth double that. Finally, ten years too late, the owners find out how to use the CBA, instead of giving guys like Holik 45 million

Old
08-18-2004, 01:25 AM
n00dles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary D
Seriously, Thornton is an absolute bargain at 6.75. He's probably worth double that. Finally, ten years too late, the owners find out how to use the CBA, instead of giving guys like Holik 45 million
Wow, you realize that with the current economical climate in the NHL very few franchises want to dish out big money to the superstar players.

Here Thornton's salary seems fair. He is their franchise player and he has shown that he can dominate (101 point season). Fair for both sides I'd say.

Closed Thread