HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Sergei Makarov

Old
09-15-2011, 03:37 PM
Hockeysemin

vCash: 500
Sergei Makarov

Hi hockey friends!
I made a series of russian hockey legend, and yesterday i made a video of Sergei Makarov. And i thought that maybe someone would like it here in history of hockey. My self was very young when he played so i don't remember much about him. I know he played for the famous KLM line and won alot of international gold medals, but then he went over to NHL some years. So for you people who watch him how do u compare him to other hockey legends. From the few games and clips i have seen he look like a Bure kind of player, do u agree?

Hockeysemin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 03:50 PM
Reds4Life
HFBoards Sponsor

Best Russian forward, bar none. He had tremendous shooting and passing skills. Great skater. His hockey vision was off the charts and his endurance was as good as it gets. Very underrated player IMHO.

Reds4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 03:52 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

He has a reputation as a guy who was a much better rounded player than Bure. An excellent playmaker, even way past his prime in the NHL.

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 04:57 PM
connellc

Should have been in the Hockey Hall of fame a long time ago....

connellc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 06:45 PM
Big Phil

Yeah certainly no case for Bure being better than him if that tells you something. With the exception of Kharlamov, Makarov is the best Russian forward of all-time. Many of us would take Makarov anyways. It remains to be seen how the careers of Ovechkin and Malkin develop but right now Makarov is the best Russian

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 08:43 PM
Actp
DO NOT TRADE KREJCI!

Makarov was an excellent player with good speed and great, great agility, coordination and hockey sense. He had different attributes than Bure that gave him a much more rounded game. He should be in the HHOF. Edit great video with some stuff from the prime of his career, very enjoyable.

Actp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 11:26 PM
McNuts

The Summit series and Canada cup are good gauges to tell whether an european player was on par with NHL players. That guy got 7 goals and 15 points in 9 games in the 87 Canada cup. He absolutely smoked the best players in the world.

Replace Lemieux and Gretzky with two elite players of the skill of Yzerman and Messier and Canada gets destroyed.

McNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 02:03 AM
VMBM

Although on all-time lists and such I have him behind Kharlamov and Firsov, in my heart I feel that he is the best Soviet forward ever.

And I'm glad that someone did a highlight video on Makarov; there are already a few of those for Kharlamov (not that he doesn't deserve them, but a nice change anyway!).

And yes, he was a more well-rounded player than Bure. A goal-scorer AND playmaker.

VMBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 02:28 AM
Der Kaiser

Magnificent hockey player. Such a stylish game. Very fluid in skating and puck control. Krutov and Larionov deserve their due praise aswell, but Makarov was something different. Outstanding.

Thanks for the compilation.

Der Kaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 05:58 AM
Fredrik_71

Just adding an observation. I read somewhere that Mararovs strength/size ratio was of the chart. Many players who checked him were surprised at his balance and strength. He should be a sure thing for the HHOF.

Tanks for the clip.

//Cheers

Fredrik_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 03:50 PM
LeBlondeDemon10

A little bit of Fleury, a dash of Lafleur and a cup of Trottier and you get Makarov. Great stickhandler and passer. Faster than I remembered.

LeBlondeDemon10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2011, 12:01 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Makarov was the man.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 01:18 AM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
Yeah certainly no case for Bure being better than him if that tells you something. With the exception of Kharlamov, Makarov is the best Russian forward of all-time. Many of us would take Makarov anyways. It remains to be seen how the careers of Ovechkin and Malkin develop but right now Makarov is the best Russian
I agree with this and Makarov was more well rounded and had better hockey sense but Bure was probably the better goal scorer and was more dynamic against better competition with less support than Makarov had as well.

Federov and his incredible 4 year playoff run (95-98) and outstanding career puts him in the mix for best Russian forward ever IMO as well.

Not to say that Makarov might not come out on top but the gap isn't as large as some might want to romanticize here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cursednumber6 View Post
Makarov was an excellent player with good speed and great, great agility, coordination and hockey sense. He had different attributes than Bure that gave him a much more rounded game. He should be in the HHOF. Edit great video with some stuff from the prime of his career, very enjoyable.

Agree he should be in the Hall along with his center Larinov who was very classy.

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 03:23 PM
CJ Boyd

Makarov didnít play his first NHL season until he was 31. He played six seasons followed by an abbreviated comeback at the age of 38 with the Stars in 1996-97. His point total of 424 during his first six seasons ranks 23rd all-time for NHL forwards aged 31 through 36. Of the 22 players ahead of him, 18 are in the Hall of Fame. The other four are Adam Oates, Martin St. Louis, Daniel Alfredsson, and Joe Sakic. Of course, only Oates is currently eligible for the Hall.

Incidentally, the six players ranked 24 through 29 includes four Hall of Famers plus Mats Sundin and Jaromir Jagr.

CJ Boyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 05:03 PM
Kshahdoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 View Post
I agree with this and Makarov was more well rounded and had better hockey sense but Bure was probably the better goal scorer and was more dynamic against better competition with less support than Makarov had as well.

Federov and his incredible 4 year playoff run (95-98) and outstanding career puts him in the mix for best Russian forward ever IMO as well.

Not to say that Makarov might not come out on top but the gap isn't as large as some might want to romanticize here.

Agree he should be in the Hall along with his center Larinov who was very classy.
Bure was a better goalscorer? Hardly. It's just different hockey. Makarov was always just a part of a team. Who knows how many goals he'd score if he was a main sniper with a 1st line playmaker (as NHL system works).

Kshahdoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 07:20 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kshahdoo View Post
Bure was a better goalscorer? Hardly. It's just different hockey. Makarov was always just a part of a team. Who knows how many goals he'd score if he was a main sniper with a 1st line playmaker (as NHL system works).
Bure is probably one of the 10 best goal scorers in history, Makarov was a better overall and complete player but there is a very strong argument that Pavel was the better goal scorer IMO.

Not sure if by hardly that you meant it wasn't close but it sure is to most observers.

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 07:33 PM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

That video sure profiles his skating and puckhandling skills!

VanIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 08:17 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Interchangeable #1/2/3 Russian forward of all time, & thanks for compiling & posting that here.

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 08:51 PM
crobro

ill never forget the goal he scored against canada in the 84 canada cup semi-final.

crobro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 08:54 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

I honestly think that once you get past Howe, Richard, Jagr, and Lafleur that Sergei Makarov, Mike Bossy, and Bill Cook are a tossup for the 5th best RW of all time, but I realize that isn't a popular opinion here.

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 04:30 AM
Kshahdoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
I honestly think that once you get past Howe, Richard, Jagr, and Lafleur that Sergei Makarov, Mike Bossy, and Bill Cook are a tossup for the 5th best RW of all time, but I realize that isn't a popular opinion here.
It's hard to compare Soviet stars to NHL stars. How can you say that Bossy or Lafleur were better than Makarov if they played one vs other in two tournaments (Canada Cup 81 & 84)? Sure on HF people are mostly for Canadians. But in Russia they would say that Makarov's better.

Kshahdoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 08:23 AM
McNuts

Quote:
It's hard to compare Soviet stars to NHL stars. How can you say that Bossy or Lafleur were better than Makarov if they played one vs other in two tournaments (Canada Cup 81 & 84)? Sure on HF people are mostly for Canadians. But in Russia they would say that Makarov's better.
Makarov was better than all Canadians except Gretzky and Lemieux in the 87 Canada Cup. Sure that's a small sample size, but you have to give him the benefit of the doubt.

EDIT: Misread your post

Last edited by McNuts: 09-19-2011 at 09:05 AM.
McNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 11:18 AM
Reds4Life
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Yes, of course. We can only compare their accomplishments. When it comes to physical package and skills, Makarov is at the very top IMHO.

Reds4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 12:02 PM
Anderson9

Among other components, he was absolutely deadly on the breakaway. Feet wide apart, a series of shoulder fakes and there you go - a lethal wrister in the top shelf. Delicious.

Anderson9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 10:55 PM
Hammer Time

vCash: 533
And he's still not in the Hall of Fame? Do Russians have different eligibility rules?

Hammer Time is offline   Reply With Quote