HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rookie Tourney Update Thread

Closed Thread

Old
09-11-2004, 07:34 AM
_Del_

vCash: 50
Thank you, McD. Didn't figure it'd be much good news when they gave up 11

Old
09-11-2004, 09:16 AM
Old Hickory

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathFromAbove
I fixed that. He only had 1 goal, not 2. And his lone goal was scored while I was looking up some stats, so I didn't see it. Opps!
Steckel's goal was a rebound

Old
09-11-2004, 09:22 AM
Old Hickory

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babachka
Has anyone by any chance gotten any pics of Greb s?

I will post more as they appear

Old
09-12-2004, 12:08 AM
Babachka

vCash: 500
Thanks much for posting

Old
09-12-2004, 08:26 AM
Old Hickory

vCash:

Old
09-12-2004, 09:34 PM
McDonald19
Hampus

Hey anyone from this board see the Ducks/Coyotes game and have a Fight Report...I heard there were a lot of PIMS.

Old
09-12-2004, 10:48 PM
David A. Rainer

Send a message via MSN to David A. Rainer
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDonald19
Hey anyone from this board see the Ducks/Coyotes game and have a Fight Report...I heard there were a lot of PIMS.
I couldn't tell you any details about the fights, but I could list all the fights for you.

Cormier (Phx) and Staubitz (Ana) in the 1st period
Bathe (Phx) and Saunders (Ana) in the 2nd period
Jenner (Phx) and Alen (Ana) in the 2nd period

Alen tried to fight someone on Phoenix in the 3rd period but the guy would not fight back so Alen piled on top of him, received an instigator and was ejected. I believe the Jenner/Alen fight had a couple of good shots in (you could here Alen's fist hitting Jenner's helmet), but it ultimately ended when both players just ran out of breathe and agreed to let go of each other.

09-12-2004, 11:01 PM
David A. Rainer

Kings and San Jose skated to a 3-3 draw tonight. As a result, the Kings will face Anaheim in the Championship game on Monday.

Kings stats:
Lukajic 1-0=1
Grebeshkov 1-0=1
Hogeboom 1-0=1
Ryan 0-1=1
James 0-1=1
Steckel 0-1=1

Brust left the game behind 3-2. Marsters came in and did not allow a goal.

The Kings went down early 3-0 after the first period. After San Jose's showing last night, the coach must have said something right because the Sharks came into the 1st period and took it to the Kings. They were playing aggressive, playing up-ice (three men in on the forecheck and pinching in as much as possible with their dmen), assertive in the offensive zone and challenging the Kings defensemen deep in the zone. If San Jose was going to go down, they were going to go down shooting. This play had the Kings back on their heels and they were turning the puck over with regularity. By the 2nd period, the Kings turned it around and started to take the game to the Sharks, spending a good amount of time in the Sharks zone. With the momentum swinging back to the Kings, they tied the game up 3-3 in the 2nd period. The ice conditions were once again horrible on the 3rd period and overtime as neither team could get anything going with their players falling over and the puck bouncing unpredictably. But by that time I was destracted because this really cute girl sat down next to me.

Kanko was invisible most of the night. He tried to mix things up a bit, but was largely shut down. Grebs was horrible in the 1st period (when San Jose pressured the dmen) but excellent in the 2nd period. Hogeboom was very active and was probably the best man on the ice for the Kings.

Old
09-13-2004, 03:50 AM
McDonald19
Hampus

Quote:
I couldn't tell you any details about the fights, but I could list all the fights for you.

Cormier (Phx) and Staubitz (Ana) in the 1st period
Bathe (Phx) and Saunders (Ana) in the 2nd period
Jenner (Phx) and Alen (Ana) in the 2nd period

Alen tried to fight someone on Phoenix in the 3rd period but the guy would not fight back so Alen piled on top of him, received an instigator and was ejected. I believe the Jenner/Alen fight had a couple of good shots in (you could here Alen's fist hitting Jenner's helmet), but it ultimately ended when both players just ran out of breathe and agreed to let go of each other.
Thanks Man!

Old
09-13-2004, 04:23 PM
girl4kings
2012 & 2014 Champs

Send a message via AIM to girl4kings Send a message via Yahoo to girl4kings
Great tourney! To bad I cant make tonights game. But the games where awsome. It was so warm inside nd the ice was BAD. But go Kings.

Old
09-14-2004, 12:45 AM
David A. Rainer

Kings lose 7-2. For the most part, they looked lifeless all game and the Ducks just took it to them.

There ws an awesome fight in the 3rd period between Neilson and Smith. The first punch thrown was by Neilson and it landed squarely on Smith's chin, snapping his head back. It was so clean that there was a collective "oooooooo" from the crowd.

Old
09-14-2004, 01:08 AM
dafranchz

Quote:
Kings lose 7-2. For the most part, they looked lifeless all game and the Ducks just took it to them.

There ws an awesome fight in the 3rd period between Neilson and Smith. The first punch thrown was by Neilson and it landed squarely on Smith's chin, snapping his head back. It was so clean that there was a collective "oooooooo" from the crowd.
I ran into Neilson on the way out and he stopped me. He said, "now that is a better one eh!" I said, "most definetly....I was surprised he wanted more." Eric replied, "yeah, I have to give to him, he shook it off pretty good."

Old
09-14-2004, 10:36 AM
girl4kings
2012 & 2014 Champs

Send a message via AIM to girl4kings Send a message via Yahoo to girl4kings
I was their good luck charm!

Old
09-14-2004, 10:39 AM
dafranchz

Quote:
Originally Posted by girl4kings
I guess!

Old
09-14-2004, 11:36 AM
Sofa King

Quote:
Originally Posted by girl4kings
I knew something was different last night! Missed you

Old
09-14-2004, 11:40 AM
Old Hickory

vCash:
Here's my post tourney thoughts on the Kings prospects and tryout guys

34 Hogeboom- Should have a good year in Manchester. Good 2 way player.
35 Brust- I understand why Minnesota let him go
36 Fukufuji- Ready for the ECHL , great first game not as good last night
38 Grebs- Still needs some more seasoning , close to being NHL ready
39-Clarke- impressive....most impressive
40- Ryan- Good FA pickup, will probably start the year in the ECHL. Solid game good players, needs to add some muscle
46- Taylor- Best goalie prospect for the Kings in thei tourney. I wish he had played last night
48 -Kanko- Incredible first 2 games, invisible the last 2. Ready for the AHL, should be in the NHL in 2005
52- Steckel- still Steckel
56- James- Good defensive player, has no business ever being on th PP again. The Kings should sign him.
57- Parros- Getting a little better each time I see him. If he could ever develop a scoring touch he would fit in great on the Kings
61- Dora- Pesky Avery type player, but really small, didn't impress me
63- Geisler- injured didn't see much of him
64- Neilson- good hockey skills for an enforcer. Should make the NHL as a light/middleweight
65 Munce- Looked really good living up to the hype
67- Bull- With a name like Max Bull , I expected a big guy. Chippy little guy
68- Peters- not impressed
69- Barr- Physical D man lost more fights than he won
70-Korokovin- very offensive d-man. Needs to work on the D a little
71- Basiuk- the best of the tryout D-men. Should earn a contract
72-Lukajik- I like this kid, good hockey sense, sees the ice well. Should earn a contract
73- Fortier-recently signed by the Monarchs will probably replace Kelly.
74-Lukacevic- Needs some more season , but the potential is there
75- Marsters- DFA had the guy scouting perfectly. Mr Rebound. Good fundamentals, good goalie, just needs to work on the rebounds

Last edited by Old Hickory: 09-14-2004 at 11:43 AM.

Old
09-14-2004, 11:40 AM
Matt13

I posted this on a fight board as well.

The final day of the tournament was pretty good.

With San Jose losing 3-1, Jonathan Tremblay (6-3/240) who played for Acadie_Bathhurst lined up against Landon Bathe (5-11/200). Tremblay who was looking to spark his team at the drop of the puck after the the 3rd goal was scored did just that. With a massive left that connect and stung Landon, and then throwing some more the fight was all pretty much Tremblay with Bathe landing a few that were ineffective. Win Tremblay. After that San Jose for the next 5 minutes controlled the ice Doug Andress (D 6'2"/2-5)
leveled Roman Tomanek (F 6-1/176) with a great blue line hit. (Think Stevens vs Lindros), but the Phx Goaltending was to great and Phx ended up winning the game anyways.

For the championship game was the Ducks and Kings. Rolling a line with Parros and Neilson on it I was expecting a lot. During the first period Eric Neilson (F 6-0/203) who was Sydney Crosbys enforcer last season and Shane O'brien (D 6-2/235) both got roughing penalty's after the whistle in a little scrum behind the Anaheim net. They were jawing the whole trip to the box and the first 30 seconds of the penalty. You knew they were going to go until the Kings committed another penalty which stopped them from going when they left the box since Ana was on the PP. I was disappointed since O'brien led the Tourney last year in penalty minutes and this was the fight I was looking for. Since O'brien was one of the better Dmen for Anaheim, on Neilsons next shift Nathan Saunders (D 6-4/215) who played in the QMJHL last season challenged Neilson. As with every fight, the rooks all took off there helmets, dropped gloves and skated to center ice to go. Both fighters locked up and started throwing rights. Saunders started to over power Neilson with his size and got his jersey over his head. Neilson never stopped though and was still throwing punches that connected while blind, as well as eating a few. Advantage Saunders. For some reason the announcer said each fighter got 4 minute pens each. Whatever!

Next up was George Parros accepting the challenge from Dustin Penner a 6-4 240 pound winger who played for U of Maine last season. He played 43 games and had only 52 PIMS. I was expecting Parros who is expected to be an enforcer to make quick work of this guy. Well it was a quick fight as they locked up and Parros quickly tripped himself up and since Parros had a good grip on the jersey both fighters went down. Parros was throwing as he fell though and may have landed one to the top of Penners head.
I am trying to be a George Parros fan. At 6-5/224 he has all the size needed, he has some huge arms and is strong which should give him all the advantage. Yet his skating skills are not that good. He misses a lot of checks since he can't seem to keep up.

Finally was the main event and the best fight I saw of the tourney. Eric Neilson vs Jordan Smith (D 6-2/220) who played in Sault Ste. Marie and in 68 games had 140 PIMS. I saw Jordan fight before and he is a good fighter. As both players lock up Neilson landed a huge left that whipped Smith's head backwards. After he landed that left Neilson grabbed hold of the jersey with it and started throwing rights, one of which that tagged Jordan again square. Jordan is tough as nails though and started throwing back at this point even landing one on Neilson. At this point they start hugging a bit and the linesmen start to come in, Smith saw them coming and started shaking his head "no" and lifting a finger signaling the linesmen who were from the ECHL not to come in. They obliged him and didnt. Each fighter threw a couple more that were ineffective really and then the linesmen came in. The whole crowd gave them a standing O. Even the non fight fans were taking notes on that one. Jordon had some blood spots on his jersey as he skated off. I even applauded that Duck as he skated off. Advantage Neilson.

Last edited by Matt13: 09-14-2004 at 11:46 AM.
Old
09-15-2004, 01:07 AM
Sam
HFBoards Sponsor

My Impressions

Grebeshkov - was great in the first two games but mediocre in the final two (although he had a great slapshot goal that was crossbar-and-in during the third game); seemed to wear down as the tournament progressed and also in the third period in games (I'd guess Grebeshkov isn't used to playing half the game, as it was essentially him and a bunch of tryouts for the defensemen); was an alternate captain

Kanko - offensively, very inconsistent; had four goals and an assist in the game against Phoenix and a goal in the first game against Anaheim, but I don't remember Kanko even having a quality offensive scoring chance in the last two games; as an agitator, played extremely well; drew two penalties in each of first three games (by my count) and was still doing a good job agitating in the final (the Ducks just kept their composure and didn't bite on the bait)

Hogeboom – was solid, neither good nor bad; had a sweet shorthanded breakaway goal against the Sharks; overall, didn’t create as many chances offensively as I had hoped but did a lot of the little things right

James – probably the fastest player in the tournament but turned the puck over too much, including one on his own blue-line that led to Armstrong’s goal in the Sharks’ game; some of that can be attributed to him playing the point on the power pay, which was likely foreign to him

Clarke – the Kings’ most consistent offensive threat in the tournament and was more aggressive than I expected, mucking it up around the net and after the whistles; was the Kings’ captain

Approximate GAA of Kings’ goaltenders (counting each appearance as 30 minutes, as the Kings had each goalie play approximately one half of each game)
Brust – 6.00 GAA (1 appearance)
Fukufuji – 4.00 GAA (2 appearances)
Munce – 4.00 GAA (1 appearance)
Marsters – 2.67 GAA (3 appearances)
Taylor – 2.00 GAA (1 appearance)

The final game was disappointing for the Kings, but overall, I was rather pleased with the Kings' second place finish in the tournament, considering the Kings had the least number of prospects in their respective HF top 20 (Kings had 5 in their HF top 20; Sharks - 7; Coyotes - 9; and Anaheim - 11) and the second least amount of AHL seasoning (Kings had 192 regular season games of AHL experience; Sharks - 84; Coyotes - 242; Anaheim - 489)

Brief impressions of the other teams’ prospects (I didn’t concentrate as hard on the other teams’ prospects so take it for what it is worth):
Kaspar - performed very well for an 18-year old; a possible steal for the Sharks
Bernier - was better this year than he was last year, but that's not saying much; still disappointing for a first rounder
Gorges - a bit disappointing as he was very quiet throughout the tournament
Glencross – MVP of the tournament; led it in scoring by my count with six goals and two assists; was a consistent offensive threat; had a sweet goal in the first game against the Kings, schooling one of the Kings D before putting it by Marsters
Perry – very productive on the power play, creating a lot of chances; didn’t do much off it, though
Getzlaf – was pretty inconsistent; was poor in the first game; fantastic in the second with some great pinpoint passes to set up a couple goals, mediocre in the third game, and good in the fourth
Rome – was a bit disappointing in the first three games, although some of that can probably be explained from an injury in the first game, but had a great fourth game, making some good pinches to keep the puck in and also adding a couple assists
Ballard – easily the most impressive of the Coyotes’ prospects; stayed calm and cool with the puck and showed great positioning throughout the tournament
McLeod - had a great game in the consolation game, really earning his two goals
Koreis – disappointing; didn’t show much offensively at all, don’t think he had a point in the whole tournament

Old
09-26-2004, 10:21 PM
Venom_17

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsjohn
Here's my post tourney thoughts on the Kings prospects and tryout guys

34 Hogeboom- Should have a good year in Manchester. Good 2 way player.
35 Brust- I understand why Minnesota let him go
36 Fukufuji- Ready for the ECHL , great first game not as good last night
38 Grebs- Still needs some more seasoning , close to being NHL ready
39-Clarke- impressive....most impressive
40- Ryan- Good FA pickup, will probably start the year in the ECHL. Solid game good players, needs to add some muscle
46- Taylor- Best goalie prospect for the Kings in thei tourney. I wish he had played last night
48 -Kanko- Incredible first 2 games, invisible the last 2. Ready for the AHL, should be in the NHL in 2005
52- Steckel- still Steckel
56- James- Good defensive player, has no business ever being on th PP again. The Kings should sign him.
57- Parros- Getting a little better each time I see him. If he could ever develop a scoring touch he would fit in great on the Kings
61- Dora- Pesky Avery type player, but really small, didn't impress me
63- Geisler- injured didn't see much of him
64- Neilson- good hockey skills for an enforcer. Should make the NHL as a light/middleweight
65 Munce- Looked really good living up to the hype
67- Bull- With a name like Max Bull , I expected a big guy. Chippy little guy
68- Peters- not impressed
69- Barr- Physical D man lost more fights than he won
70-Korokovin- very offensive d-man. Needs to work on the D a little
71- Basiuk- the best of the tryout D-men. Should earn a contract
72-Lukajik- I like this kid, good hockey sense, sees the ice well. Should earn a contract
73- Fortier-recently signed by the Monarchs will probably replace Kelly.
74-Lukacevic- Needs some more season , but the potential is there
75- Marsters- DFA had the guy scouting perfectly. Mr Rebound. Good fundamentals, good goalie, just needs to work on the rebounds
Very comprehensive, thanks for all the info...great work!

Why is Clarke so underrated? Obviously he is a greatly skilled player. I hope we hold on to this kid for a while.

Old
09-27-2004, 11:21 AM
Old Hickory

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom_17
Very comprehensive, thanks for all the info...great work!

Why is Clarke so underrated? Obviously he is a greatly skilled player. I hope we hold on to this kid for a while.
In his own words. He is a late bloomer. I saw him at prospect camp after prospect camp, when he got called up last year and most recently at the rookie tourney. Each time I see him he has taken a big step towards being an NHL player. He is much grittier than I ever thought he could be

Closed Thread