HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trottier’s Fearless 2011-12 Predictions

Old
09-16-2011, 02:54 AM
Tyrion Targaryen*
HALFMAN!!!!

vCash: 500
I see the Devils at the 4 or 5 seed. Swap Tampa and Montreal too.

I also think LA at #1 in the west is an insult to SJ's incredible offseason.

Tyrion Targaryen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 02:59 AM
Eric Sachs

I disagree with you on Montoya, I think he can do well for the Isles provided his knee holds up. Just my opinion though.

I could also see the Bruins slumping a bit. At the same time I'm not feeling Montreal's team. Markov is still a question mark, Gauthier already said he wont be ready for the start of the season, and their offence is full of holes. Does Gomez return to respectability, can Cammy start finding the net more, will Cole produce in Montreal? Too many questions for my tastes.

Eric Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 03:00 AM
Eric Sachs

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddardStark View Post
I see the Devils at the 4 or 5 seed. Swap Tampa and Montreal too.

I also think LA at #1 in the west is an insult to SJ's incredible offseason.
that would be hard to do considering he has the Caps winning the division.

Eric Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 03:10 AM
Tyrion Targaryen*
HALFMAN!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilzdontrule27 View Post
that would be hard to do considering he has the Caps winning the division.
Oh, yes, I didn't see that. I think in that particular scenario, people are really underestimating how talented the Lightning are. I think they're a top two seed team and would beat even a healthy Sidney Crosby team.

Caps might go through a bit more turmoil, some cracks have been exposed this offseason, with a few ex-caps calling out Semin and the like. It may be in their best interest to move him.

Tyrion Targaryen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 05:26 AM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier View Post
Indeed, I know nothing about hockey...if my opinions do not align with yours.
For argument sake an NHL players poll had Nielsen ranked #2 in most underrated

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/alls...ated-player-2/

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilzdontrule27 View Post
I disagree with you on Montoya, I think he can do well for the Isles provided his knee holds up. Just my opinion though.
One problem I have with Montoya would be I seen many goalies make the jump from the AHL to the NHL and have a hot start to their career but once other teams get a good read on them they find holes in there game(see Lalime, Hedberg, etc). There is always that worry is Montoya the "real deal" or will other teams start picking his game apart.

Quote:
You and your ilk are precisely why I (and numerous other long-time NYI fans) left that wretched fanbase/board.
Stopping to cheer for a team because you dislike the fanbase is a pretty sad excuse to stop cheering for a team. That being said I find it highly ironic that the one year you leave the Islanders and start rooting for the Devils, they have their worst season in 25 years. Maybe you can do both fanbases a favor and bring your condescending negativity and bad luck to the Rangers. lol

Last edited by boredmale: 09-16-2011 at 05:35 AM.
boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 05:32 AM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Quote:
With a record of picking four of the last six Cup Finalists, I immodestly submit to you my 2011-12 NHL predictions. Have at it.
I agree especially with Leafs` and Islanders` goaltending situation. Not sure MTL and PHI will be that good/bad, but I like 70% of the predictions. Essentially because of the Devils, Kings, Capitals, Stars, PHX and Blues. However, Florida, Ottawa, NSH and Boston might surprise you IMO.

Who`s your second finalist (for the East) if Crosby`s not healthy?

Getzo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 06:29 AM
OglethorpeBeatdown

Send a message via AIM to OglethorpeBeatdown
I have San Jose and the Capitals in the SCF. If Nashville gets more offense on their team, depending on the seeding, I have them knocking out Vancouver. I think San Jose and Washington are going to finally break their choking streak and Ovechkin will lead the way for the Capitals.

OglethorpeBeatdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 07:08 AM
Rob Nieds work ethic
Swarm it up Devils!

I think the Devils will finish higher than 7th. As much as I usually agree with Trottier, I don't think the East will end up like that. The West looks more believable, in my opinion.

1. Washington
2. Pittsburgh
3. Buffalo
4. Boston
5. New Jersey
6. Carolina
7. Philadelphia
8. Tampa Bay
9. Montreal
10. New York Rangers
11. New York Islanders
12. Florida
13. Toronto
14. Winnipeg
15. Ottawa

1. Los Angeles
2. Detroit
3. Vancouver
4. San Jose
5. Anaheim
6. Chicago
7. St. Louis
8. Dallas
9. Minnesota
10. Columbus
11. Nashville
12. Calgary
13. Colorado
14. Edmonton
15. Phoenix

Last edited by Rob Nieds work ethic: 09-17-2011 at 06:48 PM.
Rob Nieds work ethic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 07:11 AM
azrok22

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellsLikeNaPalm View Post
Do people forget that Richards was out for like half the season with a concussion?
10 games is far from half-the-season, but it's always a concern.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 09:06 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Interesting list, Trottier. Though you are one of my faves, I have to take issue with a couple of things:

- MTL winning the division? Granted, the health of Markov will be of paramount importance, but I don't think they make the playoffs much less win the division. Boston wins the NE, and NJ/Philly pick up the final 2 playoff spots

- I agree about the Pens and Devils, respectfully. If Crosby and Malkin play, the Pens are a top 2 team in the reg. season and probably make the finals (as they would have last season). If Zajac returns relatively early, the Devils will make the playoffs. I also agree that if the Devils get healthy and make it, they'll cause teams problems.

- Can't really agree about Nielsen. I'm surprised...if I remember, you're quite high on Bailey, but you don't like Nielsen? I see it the other way around. Nielsen, as far as I can tell, is one of the better defensive forwards in the league.

- Calgary over Columbus and/or Nashville? I don't see it. I'm not sure what depth you are talking about with the Flames, especially down the middle or on the blueline. They're terribly weak at both positions, IMO, although they're great along the wings.

I think the Predators forwards will perform, collectively, quite well. Big years from Rinne, Suter, Weber, and Jon Blum.

1) WSH
2) PIT
3) BOS
4) TB
5) NYR
6) BUF
7) NJ
8) PHI
9) MTL
10) CAR
11) TOR
12) NYI
13) OTT
14) FLA
15) WPG

1) SJ
2) VAN
3) CHI
4) LAK
5) DET
6) NSH
7) STL
8) ANA
9) CBJ
10) MIN
11) CGY
12) PHX
13) DAL
14) COL
15) EDM

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 09:24 AM
Pattysaurus

Good predictions. I could certainly see that Finals matchup, as well.

Pattysaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 09:28 AM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
Stopping to cheer for a team because you dislike the fanbase is a pretty sad excuse to stop cheering for a team. That being said I find it highly ironic that the one year you leave the Islanders and start rooting for the Devils, they have their worst season in 25 years. Maybe you can do both fanbases a favor and bring your condescending negativity and bad luck to the Rangers. lol
lol Clarkson yapped at your coach…problem?

trots, I personally would swap boston and Ny. but otherwise, agreed (although the homer in me wants to put the devils higher). well done

MartyOwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 09:54 AM
Robert Theodorson

Boston finishing 8th is laughable. They've kept their Cup winning team together for the most part and have enough cap space to make moves at the TDL.

Robert Theodorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 09:59 AM
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH

I hate Toronto probably more than the Rangers/Flyers and it's solely based on their fans where I live.

GM17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 10:20 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
I don't think the Flames will make the playoffs. That is a team in swift decline, the only way they make it is if Iginla does it himself through sheer force of will (which is possible, but unlikely).

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 10:23 AM
CerebralGenesis

The Pitt fanbase has made me go sour on them. Not as much as the rags or flygirls.

That said I'll have to think about my rankings but 7th is about what I'd expect from our team from Jersey.

CerebralGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 11:38 AM
GhostofKenKlee

Vegas bookmakers have the Devils at 12/1 to win the cup.

I think the Devils will be better than it's critics and haters pegged them at. I think the homers have it right this season.

GhostofKenKlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 12:15 PM
Valor

I can't see the Devils finishing that low. It depends on how we stack up against the Rangers, I think, because that head to head matchup might matter when it comes to placing in the Atlantic. Pittsburgh will probably take tops with Devils/Rags jockeying for second. I'm kind of down on the Flyers because they don't feel nearly as intimidating as they had been the past two seasons.

I wouldn't be surprised with a 5th finish for Jersey, and I also wouldn't be surprised if the Rangers miss the playoffs. It's hard to tell now, but once November hits we'll probably all get a better look at the teams and be able to judge more accurately. I also don't think LA will take 1st in the West, but anything can happen I suppose.

Valor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 12:19 PM
TheUnseenHand
Hashbrown Selfie

I don't mind where he put the Devils because I could honestly see this team finish anywhere between 5th and 12th.

TheUnseenHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 12:21 PM
apice3*

Trotts, I like your predictions as a whole, although there's a few teams I disagree with. I'm not going to touch your opinions on the West because I'm nowhere near as familiar with them as the East, although I do think this is the year that the Kings finally prove to be elite.

I think your analysis of Philly is spot on. People say that they're still Philly, which is true, but they lost their two best offensive talents. Look at the Penguins without Malkin and Crosby - very mediocre. Philly will have the same fate, although worse because their supporting cast isn't as good.

Out of your 8 playoff teams, I agree with 7 of them. The only team I disagree with is Montreal. I don't see Boston losing that division. Their team is way too complete the I don't recall them losing any real important pieces in the offseason. Montreal rode a heroic Price effort last season, and I think he won't have as good of a year. With the parity in the East at the moment (seeds 4-11 or so), I can't see Montreal riding Price that far again. I think Carolina will take their spot, although they'll be one of the lower seeds.

My East predictions would be:
1. Caps
2. Rags
3. Bruins
4. Penguins
5. Sabres
6. Lightning
7. Devils
8. Canes

I would love to play the Rangers in the 1st round. Even though they've had our number lately, divisional games can always go either way. After that, momentum can do a lot.

apice3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 12:24 PM
apice3*

I think a lot of us here are underrating the Rangers, simply because they're the Rangers. With the players they have, they're running a great system. They have the best goalie in the league, at the moment, their defense is pretty solid, and they have a very good top 6, with a bottom 6 that can generate some goal scoring. I think they are going to be a big time force in the East this year. If Richards can re-ignite a spark with Gaborik, look out.

apice3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 12:25 PM
Tedenby21
Boo's Dangles

I like the rankings. It is difficult to cut some teams out of the playoffs but it has to be done.

East:
1.Washington
2.Boston
3.Pittsburgh
4.Tampa Bay
5.New York Rangers
6.Montreal
7.New Jersey
8.Buffalo
9.Carolina
10.Philadelphia
11.New York Islanders
12.Toronto
13.Winnipeg
14.Florida
15.Ottawa

West:
1.San Jose
2.Vancouver
3.Chicago
4.Los Angeles
5.Detroit
6.Nashville
7.Anaheim
8.St. Louis
9.Colorado
10.Calgary
11.Minnesota
12.Columbus
13.Phoenix
14.Edmonton
15.Dallas

Tedenby21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 12:26 PM
ILikeItVeryMuch*

I personally think we are fighting for a playoff spot and if we get in its 7 or 8.

The Rangers look like a 4 or 5.

ILikeItVeryMuch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 12:29 PM
kyle evs48
No words needed

IMO the Rangers have the personnel to win the division. Just a matter of winning the games.

kyle evs48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 12:36 PM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

The Rangers have a very good team but I don't think they're a great team at all. They're probably going to finish higher than us and make the playoffs handily, but.......I don't know, I look at their roster and nothing jumps out at me saying "wow these guys are gonna be great this year!" And Tortorella better deliver because if they struggle at any point this season I think he'll be the first one to go.

AfroThunder396 is offline   Reply With Quote