HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

Trottier’s Fearless 2011-12 Predictions

Old
09-16-2011, 01:02 PM
Tyrion Targaryen*
HALFMAN!!!!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PariseforPresident View Post
Need I remind you we did that with Stevens
It's okay to do it every now and again, it happens. I think he earned it in camp though, did he not?

The Rangers do it with every mother****er they sign. Every year. It's ridiculous. I don't think that team knows what true leadership means.

Tyrion Targaryen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 01:04 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddardStark View Post
It's okay to do it every now and again, it happens. I think he earned it in camp though, did he not?

The Rangers do it with every mother****er they sign. Every year. It's ridiculous. I don't think that team knows what true leadership means.
You`d be unpleasantly surprised...

Getzo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 01:05 PM
DatBoyJPP
Good Night

Quote:
By what, refusing to show up?

DatBoyJPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 01:09 PM
Eric Sachs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle evs48 View Post
I think some people are being very harsh on the Rangers. And it probably has something to do with hating them. I hate them too, but if that team isn't a threat to win the division, I don't know who is.
agreed. But I still think the Pens if the 3 C's stay healthy are a better club all around. Losing Talbot will hurt them a bit but guys like Neal should be more adjusted to the system and team. Not to mention they have an absolutely killer D with Letang, Martin, Orpik, and Michalek and a deep offense if they stay healthy. Malkin, Crosby, Kunitz, Neal, Kennedy, Dupuis, Staal, ect. A healthy Williams and Sullivan would give them even more firepower. I just can't see the Rangers or many teams hanging with a healthy Pens team.

Eric Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 01:12 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richer's Ghost View Post
I don't think Thomas can play that good another year - I just don't. I think that was his swan song season. He may still be good even great, but not that great again.

Add to that the cup hangover and I don't see Boston getting near the finals this year.
Thomas has achieved damn near everything he could, all in one season. He may have motivation problems next season. But he seems like he has a good work ethic, so maybe he will have it in him to come close to the same season, even if he can't top it.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 01:19 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Thomas has a PERFECT season behind him. Expecting the same this year is a bold expectation to say at least. Boston didn`t blow up the team, they should survive the hangover much better than any other team. My biggest concern (speaking of individuals) would be Seguin. He could easily have a breakout season this year, but after winning the SC in his first playoff run, I`m just not sure. Also Lucic and Marchand are coming off a career year, I`m curious to see them as well.

Is Horton ok yet? Haven`t heard much about him as of late.

Old
09-16-2011, 01:52 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
For argument sake an NHL players poll had Nielsen ranked #2 in most underrated
Oh I know. And I would weigh players' perspective on such matters over mine 100% of the time. My comment is based on what I see of the player versus the lovefest some of your brethren have with him. The latest, best being a thread referring to him as a poor man's Datsyuk. (You can't make this stuff up!)

Quote:
Stopping to cheer for a team because you dislike the fanbase is a pretty sad excuse to stop cheering for a team. That being said I find it highly ironic that the one year you leave the Islanders and start rooting for the Devils, they have their worst season in 25 years. Maybe you can do both fanbases a favor and bring your condescending negativity and bad luck to the Rangers. lol
Hmm, your criticizing the validity of my fandom choices would be akin to me criticizing you for associating with a franchise that has been a laughing stock bottom feeder in every sense of the word for decades. And, surely you know, my disgust with your franchise (for whom I devoted time and money for decades) had to do with the owner as much as anything else. Life is too short. You can go to your grave proud of your unwavering loyalty; perhaps they'll give out a "Greatest Fan" pin at the Coliseum some night. I'll go to mine rooting for a franchise that is both eternally competitive and run professionally. Unfortunately, NYI has not been either for decades. My patience wore out and I am fully entitled. If that bugs you or any other orange, white and blue flag wavers, so it goes.

As for NJD's record last season - that line might work at one of Wang's annual summer circle jerk fanfests for draft picks yet to step on NHL ice...or movie viewings of the team's "Slapshots" moments. Funny thing is, 2010-11 was NJD's worst season in ages...yet they still finished ahead of your heroes "exciting and promising!" campaign.

Keep 'em coming, punching up from the gutters of Uniondale!

Last edited by Trottier: 09-16-2011 at 02:20 PM.
Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 01:55 PM
apice3*

Quote:
Rangers will only barely make the playoffs as they always do, imo.

Giving an A to a player they just signed in the offseason is so like them, I might add.
Stevens and Kovalchuk come to mind.

apice3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 01:58 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilzdontrule27 View Post
I disagree with you on Montoya, I think he can do well for the Isles provided his knee holds up. Just my opinion though.

I could also see the Bruins slumping a bit. At the same time I'm not feeling Montreal's team. Markov is still a question mark, Gauthier already said he wont be ready for the start of the season....
I went against my head (and with my gut) on several of these picks. Montreal, Boston, and Philly were among them. These choices could easily come back to haunt me.

Didn't know that Markov won't be ready for the start of the season. His presence, even at 75%, is immense. As for their offense - they don't need a ton, IMO, because they are stingy as sin on the other end of the rink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getzo5 View Post
I agree especially with Leafs` and Islanders` goaltending situation. Not sure MTL and PHI will be that good/bad, but I like 70% of the predictions. Essentially because of the Devils, Kings, Capitals, Stars, PHX and Blues. However, Florida, Ottawa, NSH and Boston might surprise you IMO.

Who`s your second finalist (for the East) if Crosby`s not healthy?
Put a gun to my head and I'll say TB. I love Boucher (no homo). Just have a weird hunch about Montreal this season, however. Could be a season similar to '93 where the favorites fall (especially if #87 is out) in the postseason and a stingy, unspectacular Habs team, led by a superb goatender, goes far. Worth remembering that the Canadiens were Confernece Finalists just one season ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
MTL winning the division?

Can't really agree about Nielsen. I'm surprised...if I remember, you're quite high on Bailey, but you don't like Nielsen? I see it the other way around. Nielsen, as far as I can tell, is one of the better defensive forwards in the league.

I think the Predators forwards will perform, collectively, quite well. Big years from Rinne, Suter, Weber, and Jon Blum.
Sting - first, the admiration is mutual.

Funny that my Neilsen throwaway comment is getting so much attention! Perhaps I was a bit influenced by the patent absurdity of that Datsyuk thread I referred to above. Regardless....

As stated, Montreal is a hunch, nothing else. I expect Boston to have a hangover.

Preds are somewhat similiar to what NJD has been for many years (though not as good): the sum is always greater than the individual parts.

Last edited by Trottier: 09-16-2011 at 02:17 PM.
Old
09-16-2011, 02:04 PM
Tedenby21
Boo's Dangles

The Rangers look like a good team on paper. Lets see how it plays out.

For me the Flyers can go either way. They will either be really competitive or they won't be good. They lost two of their best forwards in Richards and Carter.

Tedenby21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 02:12 PM
nyrfan1026

interesting to hear some of your guys thoughts on how the rangers season may play out. just on the topic of ranking the goaltenders, i'd say pekka rinne is looking to be number 1 this year and im quite shocked he isnt getting any love around here. love miller and the sabres will be a threat for sure to contend in the east, especially if the bruins struggle from a stanley cup hangover and the injury brigade continues in montreal..
it may be tough for thomas to replicate what he accomplished last season and tuuka will most likely be getting more playing time..
with that said you have to rank rinne ahead of miller and lundqvist who are toss-ups for the 2/3 seed with carey price knocking right on their doors... love hank but he always go through stretches of inconsistencies, usually from december to mid february, just in time for the team to kick in to gear and make their annual late push towards the 8th playoff seed.

nyrfan1026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 02:19 PM
nyrfan1026

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedenby21 View Post
The Rangers look like a good team on paper. Lets see how it plays out.

For me the Flyers can go either way. They will either be really competitive or they won't be good. They lost two of their best forwards in Richards and Carter.
not to mention that giroux and jvr are now the top go-to-guys and opposing teams will plan their defensive game-plans as such. the lee-way that was there with the 65-goals between richards and carter is no more, and it may take some adapting for them, with the increased responsibility as well as tougher matchups against top opposing shutdown units.

i dont see jagr being much of a factor either. he succeeded in the KHL with larger rinks, more emphasis on speed and skill. the nhl is a different game since he left in 08, there is much more emphasis on physicality and two-way hockey, none of which Jagr ever exhibited in NY, and he's now 3 years older.

Renney let him run the show here, and thus he was never held responsibile for his defensive shortcomings. that ish will not fly in philly under laviolette

nyrfan1026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Getzo5
The Punisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier View Post
I went against my head (and with my gut) on several of these picks. Montreal, Boston, and Philly were among them. These choices could easiliy come back to haunt me.

Didn't know that Markov won't be ready for the start of the season. His presence, even at 75% is immense. As for their offense - they don't need a ton, IMO, because they are stingy as sin on the other end of the rink.

Put a gun to my head and I'll say TB. I love Boucher (no homo). Just have a weird hunch about Montreal this season, however. Could be a season similar to '93 where the favorites fall (especially if #87 is out) in the postseason and a stingy, unspectacular Habs team, led by a superb goatender, goes far. Worth remembering that the Canadiens were Confernece Finalists just one season ago.
I like your self-reflection regarding those picks. Also the team you picked to be the 3rd to make the final seems like a reasonable call.

As for the Canadiens, I agree this might be the year a dark horse steps up (is it MTL? is it BUF? is it STL?), but to me, it`s more about the favorites falling than about the Canadiens making an "unexpected" run to hit the jackpot.

Also it has to be mentioned their successful run in 2010 was a bit of a fluke IMHO. Halak was outstanding and both Capitals and Penguins were certainly not ready for their system, thought they`d outplay them with incredible firepower they had back then. As we all know, both failed miserably. As soon as they got an opponent that was able to go hard to the net (deflections included), right into Halak`s kitchen (something he hates/has always had serious issues dealing with) they got smoked. Price is a different goalie, a very good one, sure, but I`m still not entirely convinced that team is going to break through so many challenges, with or without Markov.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan1026 View Post
interesting to hear some of your guys thoughts on how the rangers season may play out. just on the topic of ranking the goaltenders, i'd say pekka rinne is looking to be number 1 this year and im quite shocked he isnt getting any love around here. love miller and the sabres will be a threat for sure to contend in the east, especially if the bruins struggle from a stanley cup hangover and the injury brigade continues in montreal..
it may be tough for thomas to replicate what he accomplished last season and tuuka will most likely be getting more playing time..
with that said you have to rank rinne ahead of miller and lundqvist who are toss-ups for the 2/3 seed with carey price knocking right on their doors... love hank but he always go through stretches of inconsistencies, usually from december to mid february, just in time for the team to kick in to gear and make their annual late push towards the 8th playoff seed.
Well, read my posts above.

Last edited by Getzo5: 09-16-2011 at 02:25 PM.
Old
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellsLikeNaPalm View Post
Do people forget that Richards was out for like half the season with a concussion?
half meaning 10 games?

Yeah, I thnk people forgot.

pld459666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
ILikeItVeryMuch*

Quote:
Oh I know. And I would weigh players' perspective on such matters over mine 100% of the time. My comment is based on what I see of the player versus the lovefest some of your brethren have with him. The latest, best being a thread referring to him as a poor man's Datsyuk. (You can't make this stuff up!)

Hmm, now your criticizing the validity of my fandom choices would be akin to me criticizing you for associating with a franchise, team and fanbase that has been a laughing stock bottom feeder in every sense of the word for decades. And, surely you know, my disgust with your franchise (for whom I devoted time and money since the late 1970s) had to do with the owner as much as anything else. Life is too short. YOu can go to your grave proud of your loyalty. I'll go to mine rooting for a franchise that is both eternally competitive and run professionally. Unfortunately, NYI has not been either for decades. My paitence wore out. If that bugs you or any other orange, white and blue flag waver, so it goes.

As for NJD's record last season - that line might work on the playground...or one of Wang's annual summer circle jerk fanfest for draft picks yet to step on NHL ice...or movies of the team's slapshot moments. Funny thing is, 2010-11 was NJD's worst season in ages...yet they still finished ahead of your heroes "exciting and promising!" campaign.

Trots makes me smile.

ILikeItVeryMuch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
Stevens and Kovalchuk come to mind.
exceptions that prove the rule?

MartyOwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 02:23 PM
guyincognito

Here's the thing with the Rangers, and this is why I don't do these, the potential to look real dumb.

They don't have a history of putting together big regular seasons. So if you want to put a team 4 and up, you're basically looking at a 100 point team, barring a weak 3 seed.
So you have to buck the trend to put them up there. Of course, the Devils are a team with a history of getting 100 points regardless of what they roll out there, and if you played that trend last year, you looked real dumb.

They do have a rough start to the season because their home opener is a few days before November and they start overseas. They'll make the playoffs (IMO if a team is in the season before you have to find a reason to put someone in over them, and I don't see that), but I think it might be a bit of a grind.

OTOH, the Devils are not a 12-1 team. That's dead money. They're the flip side of the Rangers. They were out. Now you have to eliminate a team to put them in, and the question is who? Montreal, maybe? The Flyers if the bajillion changes don't catch?

guyincognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 02:24 PM
doc e
Bring Back Yanni

Yeah I think the Devils will be a bubble team this year definitely.

I hope not, but I think that's what's going to happen.

doc e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 02:26 PM
Doug Height
Okposwag

Quote:

Hmm, now your criticizing the validity of my fandom choices would be akin to me criticizing you for associating with a franchise that has been a laughing stock bottom feeder in every sense of the word for decades. And, surely you know, my disgust with your franchise (for whom I devoted time and money since the late 1970s) had to do with the owner as much as anything else. Life is too short. You can go to your grave proud of your unwavering loyalty; perhaps they'll give out a "great fan" pin at the coliseum some night. I'll go to mine rooting for a franchise that is both eternally competitive and run professionally. Unfortunately, NYI has not been either for decades. My paitence wore out. If that bugs you or any other orange, white and blue flag waver, so it goes.

As for NJD's record last season - that line might work on the playground...or one of Wang's annual summer circle jerk fanfest for draft picks yet to step on NHL ice...or movies of the team's "Slapshots" moments. Funny thing is, 2010-11 was NJD's worst season in ages...yet they still finished ahead of your heroes "exciting and promising!" campaign.

First off, I wanted to say nice list Trots, you were always one of my favorites on the Isles board. I agree that the Isles hopes this season will be pinned on their goalies, one of the 3 are going to need to step up and take that #1 spot if they want to compete for a playoff spot. I do agree that they will be in that 9-12 range though.

As far as the Nielsen overrating goes, it was one homer on the main board, I don't think most Isles fans are that bad. The poster who started the thread has created a bunch of threads hyping up Isles players, I remember a thread last year asking who had the best offense in the league and the guy said the Isles did.

Doug Height is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 02:26 PM
TheUnseenHand
madest thou look

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc e View Post
Yeah I think the Devils will be a bubble team this year definitely.

I hope not, but I think that's what's going to happen.
I tend to lean this way also. Closer to being a bubble team or maybe even bottom 3rd than easily entrenched in the top 8.

TheUnseenHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 02:32 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyOwns View Post
exceptions that prove the rule?
Examples. Nothing more, nothing less.

Old
09-16-2011, 02:36 PM
Doshell Propivo

Hey Trotts, it's telling that you devoted most of your writing to the ISLANDERS!

Goes to show ya... you can take the elitist out of the Uniondale gutter but you can't take the Uniondale gutter out of the elitist!

Doshell Propivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 02:37 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doshell Propivo View Post
Hey Trotts, it's telling that you devoted most of your writing to the ISLANDERS!

Goes to show ya... you can take the elitist out of the Uniondale gutter but you can't take the Uniondale gutter out of the elitist!

Old
09-16-2011, 02:38 PM
kyle evs48
No words needed

Quote:
Rangers will only barely make the playoffs as they always do, imo.

Giving an A to a player they just signed in the offseason is so like them, I might add.
I believe you are in for an unpleasant surprise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by devilzdontrule27 View Post
agreed. But I still think the Pens if the 3 C's stay healthy are a better club all around. Losing Talbot will hurt them a bit but guys like Neal should be more adjusted to the system and team. Not to mention they have an absolutely killer D with Letang, Martin, Orpik, and Michalek and a deep offense if they stay healthy. Malkin, Crosby, Kunitz, Neal, Kennedy, Dupuis, Staal, ect. A healthy Williams and Sullivan would give them even more firepower. I just can't see the Rangers or many teams hanging with a healthy Pens team.
That is a big if.

kyle evs48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 02:41 PM
RMBoner Stabone

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyincognito View Post
OTOH, the Devils are not a 12-1 team. That's dead money. They're the flip side of the Rangers. They were out. Now you have to eliminate a team to put them in, and the question is who? Montreal, maybe? The Flyers if the bajillion changes don't catch?
I watched the line open when the lines came out at 30/1 and by the time I went to Vegas and made my traditional window devils to win cup bet at the book it was 12/1 and I bought the ticket in late August.

The Devils will be better for the fact that they have more than one guy who can contribute offensively from the backline this upcoming season and can't see any way how they can revert to 1st. half last season, which was an anomaly.

Alot of "ifs" in the East this season, I still think Lou goes big and trades like Minaya when he was with the Expos for Colon and tries to do it one more time.

RMBoner Stabone is offline   Reply With Quote