HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

Trottier’s Fearless 2011-12 Predictions

Old
09-16-2011, 02:51 PM
apice3*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyOwns View Post
exceptions that prove the rule?
Not saying we're the rule or the exception. Not saying the Rangers/Richards are the rule or the exception. Just saying it's stupid to bash a team for things that we've done ourselves, several times.

If anything, the rule is when a team brings in an elite player with leadership, he is worthy of at least an A. Just like Stevens, Just like Kovalchuk. Just like Jagr. And just like Richards.

apice3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 02:52 PM
TheUnseenHand
madest thou look

Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
Not saying we're the rule or the exception. Not saying the Rangers/Richards are the rule or the exception. Just saying it's stupid to bash a team for things that we've done ourselves, several times.
Agreed. Why not give Richards an A? In fact, who the hell cares? Why does it even matter?

TheUnseenHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 02:56 PM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

For the life of me, I dont understand why people think the Rangers are going to be so solid. I see them finishing anywhere from #6 to #9.

BenedictGomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 02:56 PM
RMBoner Stabone

Rangers have rolled out the red carpet for Richards, from Tommy Lee "hacking" his twitter account, front row seats at Fashion Week and Fireworks at D+++++'s house on the 4th. of the July. He's the new king of broadway.

RMBoner Stabone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 02:57 PM
RMBoner Stabone

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
For the life of me, I dont understand why people think the Rangers are going to be so solid. I see them finishing anywhere from #6 to #9.
That's because the negative Devils coverage coupled with the extra heapings of Satherade has everyone everywhere believing it.

Big free agent in NY will do that to people.

Old
09-16-2011, 03:00 PM
nyrfan1026

Quote:
welllll, we were a playoff team despite significant injuries throughout the season. we have a top 5 goaltender in the league, a young yet improving defensive corps led by one of the premier shutdown pairings in the league, a stanley cup winning coach... oh and we just added a conn-smythe, 80-point center...simple logic, no?...

but hey, what the hell do I know?

nyrfan1026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 03:01 PM
apice3*

The funny thing is that the Devils fans that have came out and said why the Rangers are contenders have listed reasons.

The Devils fans that think the Rangers will barely limp in have yet to provide a single reason aside from Saugus who said they may be injury prone.

The Rangers have the makings of a very good to great team. They don't really have any holes, assuming their health.

Old
09-16-2011, 03:02 PM
apice3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan1026 View Post
welllll, we were a playoff team despite significant injuries throughout the season. we have a top 5 goaltender in the league, a young yet improving defensive corps led by one of the premier shutdown pairings in the league, a stanley cup winning coach... oh and we just added a conn-smythe, 80-point center...simple logic, no?...

but hey, what the hell do I know?
If you're going to be arrogant about it, you probably shouldn't post here.

Old
09-16-2011, 03:04 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
The difference, of course, between a #4 seeding (which is what I guessed, er predicted) and a #6 or even #9 seed can often be a matter of a mere couple of points.

So the difference in opinion is not nearly as stark as you suggest.

Last edited by Trottier: 09-16-2011 at 06:23 PM.
Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 03:07 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Quote:
The funny thing is that the Devils fans that have came out and said why the Rangers are contenders have listed reasons.

The Devils fans that think the Rangers will barely limp in have yet to provide a single reason aside from Saugus who said they may be injury prone.

The Rangers have the makings of a very good to great team. They don't really have any holes, assuming their health.
Shut up, we all know you`re a closet Ranger fan.

Getzo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 03:13 PM
apice3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getzo5 View Post
Shut up, we all know you`re a closet Ranger fan.

Old
09-16-2011, 03:15 PM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

Quote:

because we’ve heard this song and dance before, every single year. why bother reeling off the free agent failures whose eyes were bespeckled with twinkles? they got this year’s shiny new toy, they wont be able to score with torts, lundqvist will stuff his equipment bag down his jersey and sit in the net all year (in a top-5 goalie kinda way) and they wont make it past the second round. this has nothing to do with the devils, they are just stuck in mediocrity. could be worse, but to participate in the gobbling of blue and red nutsax is ridiculous. theres plenty of that going on amidst the hussle and bustle across the hudson

MartyOwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 03:17 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Quote:
Well yeah, his closet must`ve been very interesting too.

Getzo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 03:19 PM
ILikeItVeryMuch*

Do any of us have the gaul to plead the case for the Devils on the Rangers forum?

Christ, most of us have been complimenting the NYR team this season.

Also...premiere shutdown pairing?

ILikeItVeryMuch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 03:20 PM
guyincognito

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMBoner Stabone View Post
I watched the line open when the lines came out at 30/1 and by the time I went to Vegas and made my traditional window devils to win cup bet at the book it was 12/1 and I bought the ticket in late August.

The Devils will be better for the fact that they have more than one guy who can contribute offensively from the backline this upcoming season and can't see any way how they can revert to 1st. half last season, which was an anomaly.

Alot of "ifs" in the East this season, I still think Lou goes big and trades like Minaya when he was with the Expos for Colon and tries to do it one more time.

I just think 12/1 is too low for a team that might not make the playoffs. 30/1 was kneejerk from last season because that was probably around bottom 5 in the league.

There's a load of "ifs" here as well, I can't recall seeing this many mercs in camp ever.

guyincognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 03:23 PM
Oroku Saki*
Pete Hearts Volch

East:

1. Washington
2. Pittsburgh
3. Boston
4. New York Rangers
5. New Jersey Devils
6. Tampa Bay
7. Buffalo
8. Montreal/Carolina

West:

1. San Jose
2. Chicago
3. Vancouver
4. LA
5. Nashville
6. Detroit
7. Anaheim
8. Columbus

Oroku Saki* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 03:24 PM
RMBoner Stabone

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyincognito View Post
I just think 12/1 is too low for a team that might not make the playoffs. 30/1 was kneejerk from last season because that was probably around bottom 5 in the league.

There's a load of "ifs" here as well, I can't recall seeing this many mercs in camp ever.
IF the bookmakers process what took part in the 2nd half and the epic run it was and also the fact they added a 1st. rounder. I don't know how they factor it or maybe they moved it down because some heavy money did come down in July and wanted to balance out the payout or collection or slow it down to a degree, I have a cousin who works in the gaming industry and he said they use guys that are MIT and craziness to come up with odds internally. While we have our biases,these guys have talents.

Old
09-16-2011, 03:29 PM
kiwidevil

What if Gaborik doesn't bounce back from last year? He seemed very un-inspired. You can argue that a new top centre might inspire him, but what if they don't mesh well? Does he become terrible again once he gets shifted to another line?

kiwidevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 03:29 PM
guyincognito

Quote:
IF the bookmakers process what took part in the 2nd half and the epic run it was and also the fact they added a 1st. rounder. I don't know how they factor it or maybe they moved it down because some heavy money did come down in July and wanted to balance out the payout or collection or slow it down to a degree, I have a cousin who works in the gaming industry and he said they use guys that are MIT and craziness to come up with odds internally. While we have our biases,these guys have talents.
That book definitely got slammed at 30/1. Well, slammed in the context of what NHL futures odds getting slammed is.

It'll probably settle back when more money comes in. I mean the tough thing about setting odds on a team like the post-lockout Devils is, they're normally around. But they never do anything. They were pretty much becoming the 90's/pre-lockout 00's Blues.

guyincognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 03:30 PM
apice3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyOwns View Post
because we’ve heard this song and dance before, every single year. why bother reeling off the free agent failures whose eyes were bespeckled with twinkles? they got this year’s shiny new toy, they wont be able to score with torts, lundqvist will stuff his equipment bag down his jersey and sit in the net all year (in a top-5 goalie kinda way) and they wont make it past the second round. this has nothing to do with the devils, they are just stuck in mediocrity. could be worse, but to participate in the gobbling of blue and red nutsax is ridiculous. theres plenty of that going on amidst the hussle and bustle across the hudson
So you're logic is that Gretzky and Jagr didn't turn them into elite teams, so they can't possibly be an elite team now. Makes sense.

I guess this won't be the Kings or Sharks year, since it hasn't been their year before. Everyone knows that if history will dictate the present.

Old
09-16-2011, 03:31 PM
KarmaIsAKiller
Larssonist

What about secondary scoring for the Rangers?

Not exactly their strength.

KarmaIsAKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 03:36 PM
nyrfan1026

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaIsAKiller View Post
What about secondary scoring for the Rangers?

Not exactly their strength.
wolski, boyle, stepan, anisimov, all 20 goal scorers, no?

also finished top 8 amongst eastern conference teams in goals for despite our top scorer struggling and missing times with injuries.

Old
09-16-2011, 03:39 PM
RMBoner Stabone

Quote:
So you're logic is that Gretzky and Jagr didn't turn them into elite teams, so they can't possibly be an elite team now. Makes sense.

I guess this won't be the Kings or Sharks year, since it hasn't been their year before. Everyone knows that if history will dictate the present.
Gretzky and Messier never made the playoffs, despite Messier's guarantee. Jagr had a few monster seasons there, but I wouldn't consider any season with him there to make them elite. They had a seven year drought without playoffs.

Old
09-16-2011, 03:40 PM
nyrfan1026

Quote:
Gretzky and Messier never made the playoffs, despite Messier's guarantee. Jagr had a few monster seasons there, but I wouldn't consider any season with him there to make them elite. They had a seven year drought without playoffs.
gretzky and messier led the rangers to the ECF.

Old
09-16-2011, 03:42 PM
TheUnseenHand
madest thou look

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan1026 View Post
wolski, boyle, stepan, anisimov, all 20 goal scorers, no?

also finished top 8 amongst eastern conference teams in goals for despite our top scorer struggling and missing times with injuries.
I might get killed here, and I know this isn't the case for everyone, but I think some of us may just be nervous about the Rags and are in denial. I think they have a good team and are moving in the right direction. That's hard for me to say, but after years of spinning the tires, I think it's the case. Where they finish this year, well it depends on a lot of factors as it does for the Devils. They have potential to be a very good team, though.

**** the Rags. Back to predictions. That feels better

TheUnseenHand is offline   Reply With Quote