HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

Trottier’s Fearless 2011-12 Predictions

Old
09-16-2011, 03:42 PM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
So you're logic is that Gretzky and Jagr didn't turn them into elite teams, so they can't possibly be an elite team now. Makes sense.
lol..yes, thats exactly what i said. well done.

your method is flawed

MartyOwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 03:43 PM
RMBoner Stabone

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan1026 View Post
gretzky and messier led the rangers to the ECF.
What year, refresh my mammaries.

RMBoner Stabone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 03:45 PM
guyincognito

1997. Adam Graves. Crease rule. Getting suckered at MSG by that peelback rush that Gretzky had done 4,000 times already in his career. Ugh.

guyincognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 03:53 PM
nyrfan1026

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnseenHand View Post
I might get killed here, and I know this isn't the case for everyone, but I think some of us may just be nervous about the Rags and are in denial. I think they have a good team and are moving in the right direction. That's hard for me to say, but after years of spinning the tires, I think it's the case. Where they finish this year, well it depends on a lot of factors as it does for the Devils. They have potential to be a very good team, though.

**** the Rags. Back to predictions. That feels better
good for you to admit that. but hey what do we know, these predictions mean nothing until the puck drops... I guess we're all just super pumped for hockey to be back after a brutal off-season.

nyrfan1026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 04:02 PM
AirheadPete

as it stands right now i think in the east pittsburgh, washington, buffalo, boston, philadelphia, and the rangers are very likely to get in, with the final two playoff spots up for grabs between a bunch of teams.

AirheadPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 04:16 PM
ILikeItVeryMuch*

Enough of the fishing for compliments Steve Sommers crap.

ILikeItVeryMuch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 04:17 PM
Devils Nick30

I think this is a pretty good analysis.

The only things I would change are that:
Montreal is too high
Bruins and Philly too low

Not sure who else I would drop out to make room for them though.

For the Western Conference I think LA is a bit too high, but if they are able to lock Doughty up long term, who knows.

I'd push the Sharks up instead, but I guess it doesn't matter when you have them going to the Cup anyways

Devils Nick30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 04:47 PM
JeffMangum
A Love Supreme

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellsLikeNaPalm View Post
Do people forget that Richards was out for like half the season with a concussion?
He missed 10 games.

I will be breaking down your analysis in a bit, Trots, I actually started doing so, but I accidentally closed the tab.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 04:49 PM
apice3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyOwns View Post
lol..yes, thats exactly what i said. well done.

your method is flawed
Legitimate reasons you've listed thus far: 0.

Your main basis is that it's the same old song and dance with the Rangers. It's completely irrelevant. I'm still waiting for a reason other than possibly being injury prone for why the Rangers are an average Eastern team. You and the rest of this board haven't provided a reason yet. That's all I'm asking for.

apice3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 04:54 PM
apice3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzanimal8 View Post
as it stands right now i think in the east pittsburgh, washington, buffalo, boston, philadelphia, and the rangers are very likely to get in, with the final two playoff spots up for grabs between a bunch of teams.
Semi-agree. IMO:

Locks:
Washington, Pittsburgh, Tampa, NYR

Likely In:
Buffalo
Boston

Fighting for Remaing Spots, in order of likelihood:
Montreal
NJ
Carolina
Philly
NYI
Toronto

Highly Unlikely:
Winnipeg
Florida
Ottawa

apice3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 04:56 PM
SLNP
Gettin' Sykie wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to SLNP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
He missed 10 games.

I will be breaking down your analysis in a bit, Trots, I actually started doing so, but I accidentally closed the tab.
Exactly, that's like half the season!

In all seriousness though concussions are issues that need to be treaded carefully with, especially with your #1 center.

SLNP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 05:23 PM
JeffMangum
A Love Supreme

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellsLikeNaPalm View Post
Exactly, that's like half the season!

In all seriousness though concussions are issues that need to be treaded carefully with, especially with your #1 center.
Yeah, concussions are always an issue, but Richards' was relatively minor. He was slow the first few games back, but looked his old self down the stretch. He had a heck of a last game, despite the result favoring Minnesota.

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 05:58 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Almost the same top 8 as me, I think I had Rangers and Buffalo flipped. I think you realistically have 9 teams that control play enough that they should make the playoffs. There are always fluke teams with high shooting % that sneak in.

Jason MacIsaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 07:32 PM
Ripshot 43

Good write up Trots! I find it hard to believe the Flyers will be out of the playoffs, even if they traded two of their biggest weapons. I'd laugh at it though....

Ripshot 43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 08:30 PM
njdevils1982
Chico for HOF!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM17 View Post
I see the same Rangers team I see every year. Lindros Bure. Jagr Gomez. Gaborik Richards

.....and another (paper) cup is paraded down broadway

njdevils1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 11:18 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils43 View Post
Good write up Trots! I find it hard to believe the Flyers will be out of the playoffs, even if they traded two of their biggest weapons. I'd laugh at it though....
They were a very lucky team in the regular season last year plus they tossed away their hardest minute eating center. Pronger is getting no younger as well.

Old
09-16-2011, 11:44 PM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan1026 View Post
welllll, we were a playoff team despite significant injuries throughout the season. we have a top 5 goaltender in the league, a young yet improving defensive corps led by one of the premier shutdown pairings in the league, a stanley cup winning coach... oh and we just added a conn-smythe, 80-point center...simple logic, no?...

but hey, what the hell do I know?
Not history I suppose. Same crap, different year.

The New York Rangers are the Notre Dame football of the NHL. There's not doubt the team IS improved, I'm just saying I dont see them as high as #4, and I'll stand by my #6 to #9 prediction, despite what all the "experts" say.

The Rangers defense frankly isnt good at all (understatement), and will rely on the Swedish Staypuff way too much.

What if Gaborik has another poor year (or misses 20 games......or 70 games.......again)?

What if Richards gets another brain boo-boo?

And WTH is scoring going to come from other than that top line?

Look, I've seen this film before, and I know how it ends, regardless of what the "experts" are saying. Sometimes the experts pick a team to win the Stanley Cup and that team just barely limps into the playoffs because of 13 OT+SO loss "loser points".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier View Post
The difference, of course, between a #4 seeding (which is what I guessed, er predicted) and a #6 or even #9 seed can often be a matter of a mere couple of points.

So the difference in opinion is not nearly as stark as you suggest.
True. If you see a tight stacking of #4 through #9, then anything is possible, but generally there is some separation.

BenedictGomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 11:47 PM
Strong Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils43 View Post
The main thing with the Flyers for me is that getting Bryzgalov isn't that much of an upgrade (if any) over the goaltending they had last year. Yes he will provide them more consistent goaltending year to year, but I doubt he improves much upon the Flyers' .915 team save percentage. That they are relying on improved goaltending to offset losing Richards/Carter is definitely cause for concern.

Strong Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2011, 12:16 AM
KarmaIsAKiller
Larssonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post

The Rangers defense frankly isnt good at all (understatement), and will rely on the Swedish Staypuff way too much.
Thank you.

I'm not sure how Sauer and McDonagh somehow turned into Rafalski and Stuart over night, but they have quite a ways to go. Ditto for MDZ. What was a serviceable job last season has turned into "one of the best d-corps" in the league in the eyes of many a delusional Rags fan.

For what it's worth, I still think an M. Richards-less Flyers team is better than this Rangers squad. If Wolski and Boyle is your secondary forward depth, that's a problem.

KarmaIsAKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2011, 01:27 AM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaIsAKiller View Post
Thank you.

I'm not sure how Sauer and McDonagh somehow turned into Rafalski and Stuart over night, but they have quite a ways to go. Ditto for MDZ. What was a serviceable job last season has turned into "one of the best d-corps" in the league in the eyes of many a delusional Rags fan.

For what it's worth, I still think an M. Richards-less Flyers team is better than this Rangers squad. If Wolski and Boyle is your secondary forward depth, that's a problem.
I think Rangers are a better team then Philly and should make the playoffs near the bottom. Two of the top 9 teams, IMO, will miss the playoffs due to a team like Carolina shooting over 10% ES or something stupid like that.

Montreal
Washington
Pittsburgh
Tampa Bay
Boston
New Jersey
Buffalo
New York Rangers
Philadelphia

Old
09-17-2011, 09:08 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
All I care about is that we make it, and I think we have a good enough roster and a good enough coach to do it. We just need to execute properly and maybe get a little lucky too.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2011, 09:23 AM
Eggers
:panic:

Send a message via AIM to Eggers
Why is everyone worried about the Rangers' secondary scoring? They can probably throw whoever they want with Richards and Gaborik. After that, there's Dubinsky, Callahan, Anisimov, Stepan, and Boyle, and those aren't scrubs. I feel like theyre a deeper team than a lot of us want to admit.

Eggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2011, 09:47 AM
KarmaIsAKiller
Larssonist

They're not scrubs. But past Richards, this is still the same team. It's not as if they made the adjustments that a San Jose or LA did.

I think there are more Rangers fans out there extrapolating last year's positive trends into wildly unrealistic expectations - like being a top three seed - than there are people selling them short.

KarmaIsAKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2011, 10:46 AM
Chessarmy
Its a Marty Party

Considering our 2010-11 season, and some of the talent lost over the last few months, I'm sure many of you are going to disagree completely with this prediction I'm about to make, but I truly feel this Devils team is going to finish as a top 4 seed in the East. We've always been the ones to surprise people, other than last year (when the roster looked awesome on paper).

I've never written this team off and I think someone is going to under perform, leaving a spot open for the Devils.

Chessarmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2011, 11:09 AM
nyrfan1026

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
Not history I suppose. Same crap, different year.

The New York Rangers are the Notre Dame football of the NHL. There's not doubt the team IS improved, I'm just saying I dont see them as high as #4, and I'll stand by my #6 to #9 prediction, despite what all the "experts" say.

What if Gaborik has another poor year (or misses 20 games......or 70 games.......again)?

What if Richards gets another brain boo-boo?

And WTH is scoring going to come from other than that top line?

Look, I've seen this film before, and I know how it ends, regardless of what the "experts" are saying. Sometimes the experts pick a team to win the Stanley Cup and that team just barely limps into the playoffs because of 13 OT+SO loss "loser points".

True. If you see a tight stacking of #4 through #9, then anything is possible, but generally there is some separation.
Listen, there is no point in arguing over this because there is no way to tell how this could play out. Hockey is a crazy sport, however your "history will 100 percent repeat itself no ifs ands or buts" argument holds little to no merit. If history was guaranteed to repeat itself, the bruins would have blown the 3-0 lead against the flyers yet again, the rangers defensive corps would be top 5 in goals against, yet again (true that their mistakes may be covered up by lundqvist, but hey that's the beauty of sports, your teammates are always their to bail you out, and vice versa). Oh, and if history is guaranteed to repeat itself, then one zach parise will be signing a nice 7-year deal with the rangers come july 1st, 2012. See what I did there? And once again, secondary scoring should not be a problem. Beyond the probable top line of dubi-richards-gaborik, callahan, stepan, anisimov, boyle and wolski all have 20-goal seasons under their belts. Its not un-realistic to expect 10+goal seasons from fedotenko, avery and prust. And while injuries are certainly something to worry about on the gaborik/richards front, this is hockey, and players get hurt. If richards who suffered the first concussion of his career last year is injury prone, then parise who suffered the first knee injury of his career is injury prone, and other then banking on tedenby, josefson and all the other young'ins magically taking the next step over-night in a very tough atlantic division, where is your secondary scoring coming from? (No need to answer that hypothetical question as I'm more then well aware about the devils roster)

nyrfan1026 is offline   Reply With Quote