HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

Denver Jr. Pioneers Tournament

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-19-2011, 09:06 PM
  #1
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion
 
Coach Parker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,644
vCash: 500
Denver Jr. Pioneers Tournament

Hey Fans!

I am a AAA Bantam Head Coach in Vancouver and am looking to enter into tournaments in the Western U.S. that would have NCAA scouts on hand.

I have a handful of players who are skilled enough to make the jump in the future to NCAA but wasn't sure what tournaments in Colorado are worth (if any) attending.

I was thinking of applying for our team to come down and play in the Jr. Pioneers tournament in January. Any information from anyone who has been in the tournament or knows about it?

If not, is there a tournament in the State that stands out for you in the Bantam age group?

Cheers!

Coach Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 02:40 PM
  #2
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion
 
Coach Parker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,644
vCash: 500
LOL, I guess I should take the lack of response as a sign that the tournament is not worth going to!

Coach Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 06:48 PM
  #3
Super Dave
Registered User
 
Super Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 247
vCash: 500
I think I probably played in that tourny when I was younger, as I played for DU.

In my opinion, it's probably not what you're looking for. DU the school really isn't that involved with DU youth hockey, at least when I played (I'm 22 now), and I doubt there would be many scouts there, if any.

I think you'd be better off looking for AAA specific tournaments. Our AAA team in Colorado is called The Colorado Thunderbirds. They may have a tournament or you could check out what tournaments they play in normally.

http://tbirdhockey.org/

Hope this helps.

Super Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 09:50 PM
  #4
hawk30
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Aurora, CO
Country: United States
Posts: 436
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Parker View Post
LOL, I guess I should take the lack of response as a sign that the tournament is not worth going to!
I wasn't aware DU hosted a Tier I tournament. Looking at the website, it says they'll accept AA and AAA teams and that their own team is in it.

Their team is definitely AA and, last year anyway, was a very poor AA team.

I suspect the competition level would be below you and I'm very skeptical that there would be any scouts in attendance. I would suggest emailing DU's hockey director about what other teams have expressed interest.

I'm not aware of any of the AAA programs hosting Bantam tournaments, but they may. Check their respective websites: Pikes Peak Miners, CO Rampage (not sure if they field a Bantam squad), T-birds, and Team Rocky Mountain.

Also check the Colorado Amateur Hockey Association's website - it has a list of tournaments and levels in CO.

hawk30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 10:14 PM
  #5
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Country: South Africa
Posts: 39,945
vCash: 50
I go to DU... I should check this out.

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 12:39 AM
  #6
Super Dave
Registered User
 
Super Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 247
vCash: 500
Edit: Doesn't need to be said


Last edited by Super Dave: 09-21-2011 at 03:06 AM.
Super Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 03:02 AM
  #7
Super Dave
Registered User
 
Super Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 247
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk30 View Post
I wasn't aware DU hosted a Tier I tournament. Looking at the website, it says they'll accept AA and AAA teams and that their own team is in it.

Their team is definitely AA and, last year anyway, was a very poor AA team.

I suspect the competition level would be below you and I'm very skeptical that there would be any scouts in attendance. I would suggest emailing DU's hockey director about what other teams have expressed interest.

I'm not aware of any of the AAA programs hosting Bantam tournaments, but they may. Check their respective websites: Pikes Peak Miners, CO Rampage (not sure if they field a Bantam squad), T-birds, and Team Rocky Mountain.

Also check the Colorado Amateur Hockey Association's website - it has a list of tournaments and levels in CO.
Yeah, this is a better response than mine.

Super Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 09:04 PM
  #8
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion
 
Coach Parker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,644
vCash: 500
Thanks guys!

This was a great help. I was also looking at the Silver Stick Tournament Regional Qualifiers. Either way, we are hoping to stay in Westminister at the Westin and come and see a DU game. I think there is a game we are trying to come and see on the 20th-23rd weekend!

Coach Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 11:43 PM
  #9
hawk30
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Aurora, CO
Country: United States
Posts: 436
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Parker View Post
Thanks guys!

This was a great help. I was also looking at the Silver Stick Tournament Regional Qualifiers. Either way, we are hoping to stay in Westminister at the Westin and come and see a DU game. I think there is a game we are trying to come and see on the 20th-23rd weekend!
The Silver Sticks is probably a much better fit. Its a good facility, though in an uninteresting part of town.
I know that at the Midget level, the U15 AAA T-birds and RoughRiders have played in the Midget Major AA division in the past and have been reasonably competitive. So you may want to consider entering the Midget Minor AA division (In fact, other Bantam AAA teams may also be doing so).

hawk30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 12:01 AM
  #10
RTN
Be Kind, Rewind
 
RTN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,882
vCash: 500
What association are you from? (I'm from BC, played my minor hockey on the Island). It's always nice to see a rep coach be proactive and give his kids a shot at school. Isn't bantam a little early for NCAA though? Most of the guys I know who went to Div I schools didn't really start getting offers until grade 11/12 and they were playing junior A. Anyways, good luck with your team.

RTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 04:17 PM
  #11
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion
 
Coach Parker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,644
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTN View Post
What association are you from? (I'm from BC, played my minor hockey on the Island). It's always nice to see a rep coach be proactive and give his kids a shot at school. Isn't bantam a little early for NCAA though? Most of the guys I know who went to Div I schools didn't really start getting offers until grade 11/12 and they were playing junior A. Anyways, good luck with your team.
I'm out of East Vancouver (Lucic's association) and am Bantam Head Coach of the Vancouver Spirit. Sad thing is that we are still a Tier II association but last year we were the highest ranked T2 team and our whole division was T1 teams (AAA). We are playing BWC A2 team twice next week and I am really trying to expose my top three kids (who didn't move to other associations to get fake addresses.

That is the way out here. Snipe the best players but this year three of our kids parents have been clear that they are not going to teach their kids to cheat and they are staying put. Problem is, I need to get those three exposed in AAA tournaments or down south.

Back in Ontario the Silver Stick is a big deal. If I have to go to Denver to get my kids to qualify so be it. At least then they would get a shot at Nationals in January.


Last edited by Coach Parker: 09-22-2011 at 04:22 PM.
Coach Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 04:21 PM
  #12
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion
 
Coach Parker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,644
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk30 View Post
The Silver Sticks is probably a much better fit. Its a good facility, though in an uninteresting part of town.
I know that at the Midget level, the U15 AAA T-birds and RoughRiders have played in the Midget Major AA division in the past and have been reasonably competitive. So you may want to consider entering the Midget Minor AA division (In fact, other Bantam AAA teams may also be doing so).
Thanks!

Huge help.

I am just confirming hotels as the tournament director told me to avoid certain hotels that were cheaper. Seems that the easist situation is to stay at the Westin right beside the Promenade or if anyone can tell me if the Merriot on the other side of the highway is close enough to walk to the rink that would be great!

One of my coaches buddies plays on the Avalanche so we are seeing if we can arrange something during the game against Chicago on the Thursday. Do you know how far away it would be for us to go to the Avs game?

Cheers

Coach Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 04:49 PM
  #13
hawk30
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Aurora, CO
Country: United States
Posts: 436
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Parker View Post
Thanks!

Huge help.

I am just confirming hotels as the tournament director told me to avoid certain hotels that were cheaper. Seems that the easist situation is to stay at the Westin right beside the Promenade or if anyone can tell me if the Merriot on the other side of the highway is close enough to walk to the rink that would be great!

One of my coaches buddies plays on the Avalanche so we are seeing if we can arrange something during the game against Chicago on the Thursday. Do you know how far away it would be for us to go to the Avs game?

Cheers
Anything on the other side of the highway would be too far to walk, but the Westin should be very walkable.

The Pepsi Center is downtown Denver, so the drive will be very dependent on traffic. Without traffic, it would be about 20 minutes I would guess. With, possibly an hour or more. DU is a bit further South on I-25.

There is a bus that runs from Denver to Boulder on 36, with a stop at 104th. I've never ridden it, but I think it drops off right in LoDo, which would make for an easy and interesting walk to the Pepsi Center from there. It would probably be easier than arranging carpools.

Best of luck.

hawk30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 01:16 AM
  #14
RTN
Be Kind, Rewind
 
RTN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,882
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Parker View Post
I'm out of East Vancouver (Lucic's association) and am Bantam Head Coach of the Vancouver Spirit. Sad thing is that we are still a Tier II association but last year we were the highest ranked T2 team and our whole division was T1 teams (AAA). We are playing BWC A2 team twice next week and I am really trying to expose my top three kids (who didn't move to other associations to get fake addresses.

That is the way out here. Snipe the best players but this year three of our kids parents have been clear that they are not going to teach their kids to cheat and they are staying put. Problem is, I need to get those three exposed in AAA tournaments or down south.

Back in Ontario the Silver Stick is a big deal. If I have to go to Denver to get my kids to qualify so be it. At least then they would get a shot at Nationals in January.
Yeah, BWC was quite the powerhouse. Same thing would happen down in Victoria, everyone would leave Victoria Minor for a private team (Racquet club). I played against Lucic when he was in minor hockey, so it's nice to see you've got a few good players out in East Van this year. I'm actually going to school up at SFU and I've been trying to volunteer with Burnaby minor this year. Hopefully I can get on with a team this year or next year. Again, good luck if you guys head down south.

RTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:49 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.