HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Wade Redden not invited to NY Rangers training camp

Old
09-16-2011, 08:58 AM
Matthew McConaughey
Alright, Alright

vCash: 500
Why do contracts like this - Drury, Gomez, Redden - inevitably have Glen Sather's name written on the bottom?

Matthew McConaughey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 09:00 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by isles31 View Post
This is such a sham. Why can't they at least have the guy at camp.
Apparently it's because if he gets injured in training camp, the Rangers won't be able to send him to Hartford until he's healthy, etc, and it screws with their salary cap bigtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLW View Post
If they bring him back up after waiving him down then any of those teams should be able to grab him at half price. If there was a line up for Wade at 3.25Mill then Sather would do this in a heart beat. I don't think the market is there.
No, Rangers wouldn't move him up to get taken on re-entry waivers. It'd add 3.25 mill to their cap and they're looking like they'll be right at the cap this year as it is. They don't have room to take on half his salary. Even if there was a taker they won't do it.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 09:01 AM
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
I find it hard to believe that there were other similar offers, and again, if so, they were horribly misguided.
I believe Dallas and Calgary were the other teams in the running.

Thordic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 09:04 AM
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by isles31 View Post
This is such a sham. Why can't they at least have the guy at camp. As stated here already, if his salary was half what Sather threw at him, hed be on a team somewhere in the league, but bc he was offered a massive overpayment, he's permanently in the AHL. Pretty weak if you ask me.
Because if he gets injured in training camp then we can't waive him and send him down. We'd be stuck with him on our cap. We'd have to put him on LTIR until he could be waived, but that would hurt our cap situation (look up how LTIR actually works if you want to understand why).

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 09:04 AM
Levitate

Thought it was Columbus that bid things up high

Regardless, Sather overpaid like mad and I was screaming the entire offseason that it was a huge mistake and whoever signed Redden would regret it, but alas, Sather couldn't hear my internet ravings

Old
09-16-2011, 09:11 AM
Shanny
Let's Win It All

I really hope to see Reds back in the NHL sometime in the near future, he's still one of my fav Sens of all time.

Shanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 09:11 AM
some1

I can't believe how he can be #5 or #6 in NHL. It's not like he was one of the best players in AHL. In his last season in Rangers he was horrible. To me, GM's would like to give a chance to someone without his history and not on this decline. He is over in the NHL unless a miracle happens.

some1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 09:22 AM
sparxx87

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Because if he gets injured in training camp then we can't waive him and send him down. We'd be stuck with him on our cap. We'd have to put him on LTIR until he could be waived, but that would hurt our cap situation (look up how LTIR actually works if you want to understand why).
So ummm, deal with it. Sather signed the contract?

He should be invited to camp and at least given an opportunity to make the team. If he's not among the top 7 then fine, send him down.... But he at least deserves his shot at training camp.

Completely classless move by Sather and the organization IMO.

sparxx87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 09:31 AM
tony d
ATD 2015

No surprise really. Redden's play doesn't justify that huge salary. I think a team would pick him up for 1 or 2 million per but not at 6.5 million a season.

09-16-2011, 09:32 AM
SensFan26

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedeSpeedBackstrom View Post
He makes 6.5M a year with the option to leave, sign with another team for the minimum and get back into the NHL

If you feel sorry for him....
Would you walk away from 19.5 million?

SensFan26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparxx87 View Post
So ummm, deal with it. Sather signed the contract?

He should be invited to camp and at least given an opportunity to make the team. If he's not among the top 7 then fine, send him down.... But he at least deserves his shot at training camp.

Completely classless move by Sather and the organization IMO.
He has no shot to make the team at all, there is absolutely no point. They can't afford his cap hit

Call it classless but it hasn't affected their reputation among UFA's apparently.

Also not really any more classless than what teams like Washington or Chicago have done to their players who didn't live up to their contracts

edit: also, the Rangers are "dealing with it" by doing what's allowed under the rules of the CBA. Redden also has to "deal with it" because he didn't demand a NMC in his contract.

Old
TML g u n n e R s*
EDC 2013

Send a message via MSN to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Yahoo to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Skype™ to TML g u n n e R s*
lol ruudeeeeee

you pay him 6.5 per might as well invite him to training camp -____-

TML g u n n e R s* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 09:35 AM
DG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thordic View Post
I believe Dallas and Calgary were the other teams in the running.
Lucky them, then!

DG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 09:42 AM
Cook24

Send a message via AIM to Cook24
Poor Brad Richards...hes next in line.

Cook24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 09:47 AM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cook24 View Post
Poor Brad Richards...hes next in line.
Except Richards actually isn't that bad as a 1st line center currently. Redden might not even be a 2nd pairing D on a lottery pick team right now. That and Richards has a "NMC".

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 09:48 AM
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Thought it was Columbus that bid things up high
I think you're right, I had my C teams mixed up. Dallas and Columbus.

Thordic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 09:53 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 steps View Post
Has his play really dropped off that much?
Hard to say he wasn't exactly worth it when he got the contract. I remember coming back from the lake listening to him shortly after he signed it. He got more years and more money than any other team was offering and then to top it all off Sather tells him that he can have a NTC.

I still think Redden is a NHL d-man the problem is no one will want him at that money. Not even a team that needs to get to the cap.

It's funny the NHL got their way and made it so there is no more holdouts from players with contracts, but now the teams are locking out certain players. Wonder if that changes in the next CBA.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 09:54 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stump View Post
Why do contracts like this - Drury, Gomez, Redden - inevitably have Glen Sather's name written on the bottom?

It's really quite simple. All his years in Edmonton he had no money to spend, so he had to find value via trades. Goes to NYR and while he can still make those trades he doesn't have a clue how free agency works.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 10:05 AM
Zrinski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Except Richards actually isn't that bad as a 1st line center currently. Redden might not even be a 2nd pairing D on a lottery pick team right now. That and Richards has a "NMC".
Don't think he was talking about next season. Richards doesn't need to worry for a while.

Zrinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 10:06 AM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by loadie View Post
Wade is a real nice guy, it's sad to see how his career as gone. If he was making 3 mil a season he would still be playing in the league.
I'm not so sure about this anymore. He's not even all that great in the AHL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TML g u n n e R s View Post
lol ruudeeeeee

you pay him 6.5 per might as well invite him to training camp -____-

Uh, why? Why do the Rangers owe him that courtesy? They owe him money. That's the only thing they owe him.

ECL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 10:44 AM
83DIZ65

I can pin point the exact moment his career went down the tubes and if ya dont belive me watch the game directly before his mother died and the game directly after...... its like night and day and he never saw the light of day again..... mind u hes still a good enough dman to play in the 5 to 6 spot on half the teams in the league...

83DIZ65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 10:48 AM
DesertDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLW View Post
If they bring him back up after waiving him down then any of those teams should be able to grab him at half price. If there was a line up for Wade at 3.25Mill then Sather would do this in a heart beat. I don't think the market is there.
Maybe during the season considering that his salary goes down the following 2 seasons, but it all depends on the player and what he can still accomplish...

DesertDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 10:54 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyTheBrave View Post
It's sort of no ones fault really, Rangers had to pay to get him and no one could guess that his decline would be that drastic. The only crappy thing out of this is that Redden wasn't bought out so he could attend another team's camp and try to resurrect his career elsewhere.
Speak for yourself. It was painfully obvious that he was done for in this league before he ever hit free agency. And me, I wouldn't want him on my team for any price. He's slow and un-involved, two of the worst qualities a player can have, especially in today's NHL.

And why is it crappy? He's making a ton of money. He's clearly lacking the commitment necessary to invest one's self in an NHL season. It's not that he doesn't care, it's just that he clearly isn't as motivated as he may have been in the past, and if he knew that was the case, he could have not signed an enormous contract that screwed the team over.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 11:04 AM
beastly115

Don't feel bad for the guy. He wanted to get paid and he did. He knew going into the contract negotiations that there was always the possibility of being sent to Hartford.

He has the option to nullify his contract and sign with another NHL team. He chose money. Not blaming him because I'd do the same. But it just shows, some players are just in it for the money.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 11:06 AM
beastly115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thordic View Post
I think you're right, I had my C teams mixed up. Dallas and Columbus.
Calgary was definitely in on it too.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote