HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Wade Redden not invited to NY Rangers training camp

Old
09-16-2011, 12:08 PM
beastly115

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TML g u n n e R s View Post
lol ruudeeeeee

you pay him 6.5 per might as well invite him to training camp -____-
Why? It's part of the contract. Redden has the right to his money. Rangers have the right to not invite him to camp. What's so hard to understand?

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 12:11 PM
Agalloch

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaQUp View Post
Don't feel bad for the guy. He wanted to get paid and he did. He knew going into the contract negotiations that there was always the possibility of being sent to Hartford.

He has the option to nullify his contract and sign with another NHL team. He chose money. Not blaming him because I'd do the same. But it just shows, some players are just in it for the money.
Well just for the money... he still played 994 nhl games. I don't he has a good career. Now for sure, it's about money. I think it's normal.

Agalloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 12:12 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaQUp View Post
Don't feel bad for the guy. He wanted to get paid and he did. He knew going into the contract negotiations that there was always the possibility of being sent to Hartford.

He has the option to nullify his contract and sign with another NHL team. He chose money. Not blaming him because I'd do the same. But it just shows, some players are just in it for the money.
I don't think there is one UFA that signs a long-term deal that is thinking this, especially not 3 years into the deal.

joestevens29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 12:14 PM
Fehr Time*
The Don of Hockey

The best solution would be if the Rangers paid him out the rest of his contract in one lump sum so he could then be released and be able to sign another lucrative deal with another team. Unfortunately that would require a CBA that made sense, unlike this one.

Fehr Time* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 12:26 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fehr Time View Post
The best solution would be if the Rangers paid him out the rest of his contract in one lump sum so he could then be released and be able to sign another lucrative deal with another team. Unfortunately that would require a CBA that made sense, unlike this one.
CBA seems to be working fine. The NHL doesn't want teams signing all the top UFA's year after year and then being able to get out of the contracts.

This Redden situation is exactly what the NHL saw coming.

Old
09-16-2011, 12:27 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparxx87 View Post
So ummm, deal with it. Sather signed the contract?

He should be invited to camp and at least given an opportunity to make the team. If he's not among the top 7 then fine, send him down.... But he at least deserves his shot at training camp.

Completely classless move by Sather and the organization IMO.
You don't know what the hell you're talking about. It's not classless at all. The NHL is a business, and any time money is involved things are evaluated from a financial POV.

If the Rangers were somehow trying to NOT pay him his money, then your weak comment would make sense, but they're not.

Again, Redden has all the control in the world here. There's no edict from god that says he can't walk away from his contract and play elsewhere.

Maybe you should deal with the fact that the Rangers are doing what's best for their franchise, instead of what's best for a player.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 12:33 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

I said this on our board. I don't feel badly for Redden at all. If people want to feel bad for somebody There are A LOT more people who have it worse than he does right now. Like the friends and family of those KHL players. Wade Reddens plight just seems trivial in comparison.

DrSutton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 12:33 PM
Alberta Yote
Owns the Yotes

vCash: 855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
Again, Redden has all the control in the world here. There's no edict from god that says he can't walk away from his contract and play elsewhere.
Again, I can almost guarantee you that the NHLPA would have a major issue with one of their membership walking away from his contract to accept a lower one elsewhere.

Alberta Yote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 12:35 PM
Fehr Time*
The Don of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
CBA seems to be working fine. The NHL doesn't want teams signing all the top UFA's year after year and then being able to get out of the contracts.

This Redden situation is exactly what the NHL saw coming.
The CBA is not fine. Players should be allowed to sign with teams of their choice and if things do not work out then they should be able to end things via a negotiated settlement.

Old
09-16-2011, 12:38 PM
4ndr3y*

Send a message via MSN to 4ndr3y*
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSutton View Post
I said this on our board. I don't feel badly for Redden at all. If people want to feel bad for somebody There are A LOT more people who have it worse than he does right now. Like the friends and family of those KHL players. Wade Reddens plight just seems trivial in comparison.
one thing is a tragedy the other is known as Sather in offseason.

It ain't Reddens fault Sather has a fetish known as giving up the biggest contract in the offseason.

4ndr3y* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Ed Wood

Redden was so terrible in his last year here in Ottawa that fans couldn't believe he was offered Chris Phillips money (about 3.5 m)to stick around. Needless to say we were laughing ourselves silly when Sather signed him to that ridiculous contract.

Ed Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

This must be fixed in the next CBA. He's clearly an NHL capable defenseman. He shouldn't be allowed to be banished from the league because a team gave him a bad contract. Shame really...

Something is broken here IMO.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 12:40 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSutton View Post
Talk about an absurd comparison that has no place here. Maybe you should post some cancer patient pics next. Get some counseling please.

Old
09-16-2011, 12:41 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Yote View Post
Again, I can almost guarantee you that the NHLPA would have a major issue with one of their membership walking away from his contract to accept a lower one elsewhere.
The NHLPA's major issue wouldn't play any role in Redden's options. Again, he has all the control here.

And he wouldn't be walking away from a contract to just, accept a lesser one. There's no guarantee that a team signs him for less, or starts him on their NHL roster.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 12:41 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
The CBA is not fine. Players should be allowed to sign with teams of their choice and if things do not work out then they should be able to end things via a negotiated settlement.
They can, it's called a buyout.

Old
09-16-2011, 12:43 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
They can, it's called a buyout.
Not really applicable since it would hit their salary cap. Right now, they can afford to pay him to be banished and not bat an eye. Start messing with the Cap though and they'll be held accountable for one of many absurd contracts that helped cause the lockout. Bobby Holik anyone?

Old
09-16-2011, 12:43 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
This must be fixed in the next CBA. He's clearly an NHL capable defenseman. He shouldn't be allowed to be banished from the league because a team gave him a bad contract. Shame really...

I have to wonder if they allow one buyout ever so many years that doesn't count against the cap. Other than that I don't see what they do.

Quote:
Not really applicable since it would hit their salary cap. Right now, they can afford to pay him to be banished and not bat an eye. Start messing with the Cap though and they'll be held accountable for one of many absurd contracts that helped cause the lockout. Bobby Holik anyone?
Do we really want to go back to the Bobby Holik days? I know the NHL doesn't and I know the majority of the teams don't want to either.

Old
09-16-2011, 12:45 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I have to wonder if they allow one buyout ever so many years that doesn't count against the cap. Other than that I don't see what they do.
Interesting idea....maybe combined with a limitation of how many players you can demote to the minors simply to be done with their contract at the NHL level....might work.

It's certainly a tough situation to iron out.

Old
09-16-2011, 12:48 PM
eklunds source

I can't believe some people think this is a bad move, that Redden is a dink for signing that contract, that the Rangers are classless because they didn't invite him to camp, that there should be a CBA amendment for situations like this...

The NHL has guaranteed contracts! If he was in the NFL, the GM would just tear up his contract..

Redden was offered the money. He took it. Somehow that's a fault against him?
If someone offered you $30+ million, or whatever his contract was (I thought it was 5@6.5?), would you decline it because you might not be good enough to play in the NHL in a few years?

If you were running the Rangers, would you risk mucking up your cap situation if he's hurt? He has zero chance of making the team. Their cap structure is set, in a manner that gives Sather what he thinks is the best chance for a great season, and there's no room for a $6.5m defenseman. Doesn't matter if he's overpaid or not!

Really shows you how completely out to lunch some people are..

eklunds source is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 12:48 PM
Fehr Time*
The Don of Hockey

Quote:
Do we really want to go back to the Bobby Holik days? I know the NHL doesn't and I know the majority of the teams don't want to either.
Who would care if we did? Holik did not exactly help put banners in the rafters for the Rangers. If the Rangers want to spend money they or anyone else should be allowed to.

Old
09-16-2011, 12:50 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyTheBrave View Post
It's sort of no ones fault really, Rangers had to pay to get him and no one could guess that his decline would be that drastic. The only crappy thing out of this is that Redden wasn't bought out so he could attend another team's camp and try to resurrect his career elsewhere.
Read this from the day he was traded:

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p...0#post14941840

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 12:50 PM
massivegoonery

Quote:
It's fine the way it is, I don't think anyone involved really has any problems with the situation.

massivegoonery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 12:51 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Who would care if we did? Holik did not exactly help put banners in the rafters for the Rangers. If the Rangers want to spend money they or anyone else should be allowed to.
Sure they should be allowed to, they should also be held accountable at some point for the bad deals they make.

Gomez
Holik
Redden

All absurd overpayments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by massivegoonery View Post
It's fine the way it is, I don't think anyone involved really has any problems with the situation.

Based upon what? The players union is there to look out for the players. Do you honestly think they love the idea of a high priced player banished to the AHL?

Old
09-16-2011, 12:53 PM
Ishad

Quote:

Nothing is broken. If only playing in the NHL was that important to Redden he could have made sure he got a NMC in his contract when he signed (of course this would have meant he would have received less money).

If he really wanted to play in the NHL he has the ability to get out of his contract as mentioned before and sign with any team (again for less money)

Redden is choosing more money to not play in the NHL simple as that. I don't feel bad at all for someone who has anywhere from $13-$16.5 million coming to him in the next 3 years regardless of where/if or how well he plays.

And I really doubt that Wade feels bad about it either.

Quote:
Based upon what? The players union is there to look out for the players. Do you honestly think they love the idea of a high priced player banished to the AHL?
Yes. The players union loves it. Redden gets his money and cap space is freed up for other players. More players get more money because of this. Players union happy.

Ishad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 12:54 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Interesting idea....maybe combined with a limitation of how many players you can demote to the minors simply to be done with their contract at the NHL level....might work.

I know it was mentioned a couple years back that the NHL doesn't like to see NHL players like Redden, Souary and others before them being sent to the AHL as a way to hide around the cap. There was talk that they'd try close this off completely.

Maybe you only allow x amount of one-way contracts as you say, but I'd also change the one-way/two-way to be like it was before.