HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Top 5 most disappointing Oilers of all time

Old
09-16-2011, 12:02 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to thadd
Arnott
Corson
Schremp
JFJ
Mikonov

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 12:04 PM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

The consensus top 5 should be:

Pronger
Carson
Corson
Souray
Moreau

The only players who disappoint me are the ones who quit on their team and throw teammates and coaches under the bus.

Psycho Dad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 12:09 PM
JustinCider

If only the Oilers would of taken Lucky Luc, instead of Carson in the Gretz trade, things would be a lot different.

JustinCider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 12:49 PM
ekcut

Send a message via MSN to ekcut
For me it's

Damphouse
Stajuhar
Mikhinov
Schremp
Isbister

ekcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 03:47 PM
mrzael

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect_Drug View Post
Cory Cross
Igor Ulanov
Tom Poti
Brad Isbister
Pat o Sullivan
Ty Conklin
oh man...Igor "Pain doesn't hurt" Ulanov is one of my all time favorites. How could you not love that mug.

mrzael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 04:30 PM
bleed_oil

Semenov is the top of the list for me. Huge guy, great skater, massive shot, one of the biggest hitters in the OHL in his day... came to the NHL and couldnt do a damn thing.
Also Jani Rita, I dont know what the hell happened to that guy. He was a very high end prospect after the draft. The guy was a fridge with wheels, could have been a dynamite power forward.

bleed_oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 04:31 PM
bleed_oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Take the Shot View Post
C'mon. His story has yet to be written.
Too small, not enough physical tools. I dont think he'll ever be a good NHL 2nd line center. And thats just about the only position he can slot into.

bleed_oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 05:51 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post
Horcoff
Gilbert
Hemsky
Gagner
Omark

Am I doing it right?
lol.

Threads like this are sure to be trouble.

j/k aside how are guys like Steve Kelly and Jiri Dopita on this list. I never expected jack squat from either of them and they didn't disappoint. From the word go Dopita was a sad sack of useless here.

But with all Czech supporters going: "Wait for it he do magician" or "He very think intelligent game" or "I guess he too skilled for NA game and the game needs to be better for him to get good at it. The NA game, it no make sense for Jiri"

gawd, nothing compared to the Omark stuff the support that Jiri got from certain corners.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 06:02 PM
Njoy Oilers

Sorry can't think of any player I hated worse than Jimmy FN Carson. No god damn drive or heart. He had all the talent in the world, but big FN baby chose to throw his new team under the bus from the get go. Not to many other players I've seen metioned here did that.

Njoy Oilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 10:34 PM
cheesed-off*

Carson got us vital pieces that won us a Cup in 1990. The Oilers' record before and after the trade was like night and day.

cheesed-off* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 10:50 PM
gr8haluschak

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinCider View Post
If only the Oilers would of taken Lucky Luc, instead of Carson in the Gretz trade, things would be a lot different.
The oilers wanted him, the kings would not give him up.

As for some of you people's lists, how dumb are you ? San Gagner Yeah I mean ranking second in points per game among his draft year comrades, hovering around on average (if played 82 games) 50 points, and 22 years old with 4 years in the league is so disappointing, you people need to give your heads a shake.

gr8haluschak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 10:52 PM
tiger_80

Only started following Oilers in 2002.

1) Pronger
2) Souray
3) Nilsson
4) O'Sullivan
5) Lupul

tiger_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 11:04 PM
KarmaPolice
Masterdebater

vCash: 777
Send a message via MSN to KarmaPolice
Chris Joseph
Steve Kelly
Jani Rita
Brad Isbister
Alexei Mikhnov

KarmaPolice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 11:33 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Kind of an unusual list but the thread is "most disappointing" which to me infers high expectations in the first place.

1)Mark Napier. Outstanding player. Was putting up near 100pt seasons in WHA as a 20yr old. Quite simply one of the best talents in the league at the time. Went to the Habs and put up 40goal seasons and over ppg. Comes here at age 27 and should be at peak of his career and literally disappears offensively. Sure he played some different roles for the club but his time here he was a shadow of his former self.

2) Bengt Ake Gustaffson. Few here will know this player. His claim to fame? Being the second Oiler skater on their protection list when they entered the NHL under a plan that allowed each WHA team to protect only 2 skaters and 2 goalies. Otherwise known as a **** of talent by the NHL.
Why disappointment. Not Bengt's fault The NHL in its wisdom, ruled that the Oilers couldn't have him on their list(yet they accepted the Oilers putting him on the protection list) but then awarded him to Washington afairc without compensation.
Gustaffson would have had a sick career playing out his years here. He was wasted with the Hapless Caps.

3)Willy Lindstrom. Another complete disappearing act in his time here when he should've been on fire on a hot club.

4)Jim Playfair. Horrible #1 draft in 82. Keep in mind the Oilers picks and Org was legendary at the time. Hands of gods stuff. Then Jim Playfair, Crash, thud. The first major kink in the Oilers draft arsenal and that they would start paying for years later. Played a grand total of 6NHL games. Looked pretty bad even in the AHL. To add to injury spent yrs coaching the hated Flames. Although maybe that helped us out..

5)Selmar Odelein. Yeah bad first round pick in 84 and one in a series of bad first picks that would hurt the Oilers down the road when they discovered virtually nothing of use in their system. Picks like Playfair and Odelein started a curse of 1st picks that would plague the Oilers until Arnott, or depending on your view, all the way to Ales Hemsky. Nearly 20 yrs of brutal first picks and 2 painful viewing decades.
Blame it on Odelein..

Old
09-17-2011, 02:54 AM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

I find having carson on the list is amusing. He was frustrating. Only if he had a heart. But pt wise he was not that bad.

For me

Jason bonsignore
Steve kelly
And those ten years of wasted first rounder

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2011, 03:09 AM
Senor Catface

Raffi Torres x 5

Senor Catface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2011, 08:07 AM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

carson scores 103pts in 84 games with the oilers--he was not around long enough to make any list

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2011, 08:26 AM
Roof Daddy

Bonsignore (because at that time it was our highest pick in team history)
Kelly (because Doan was the all too obvious choice)
Schremp (because I defended the guy far too often)
MAB (the hobbit cost us the cup)
Peter Pocklington (double edged sword here, we wouldn't have the team without him, but he shredded a dynasty to cover up horrible non-hockey business endeavours. I hope that greedy ***** chocked on his own wallet when he saw what Katz paid for the team.)

Roof Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2011, 11:04 AM
DisgruntledGoat

5. Jason Bonsignore

He was Taylor Hall before there was Taylor Hall.

4. Alexei Semenov

I feel Semenov's place in Oilers history gets forgotten sometimes; people don't remember how anticipated and hyped this guy was. Imagine the way people talk right now about Martin Marincin and times that by 10.

Huge, could skate, and a had a rocket of a shot. CHL defenseman of the year one year, and was voted best defenseman in Sudbury Wolves history (Norris winner Randy Carlyle played for the Wolves)

3. Jani Rita

The forward version of Semenov. He dominated at every level, right up to the AHL, and never made an impact in the big leagues.

On a side note, the 1999 draft, at one time, was supposed to be the foundation of a Franchise rejuvenation. For a few years after, most fans were convinced (on some pretty encouraging early returns) that we had drafted a first-line center (Comrie), a no. 1 defenseman (Semenov), a scoring two-way winger (Rita), and a speedy third-line checker (Salmelainen). Its a good lesson for all of the posters here that every year want to jettison half the NHL roster for the shiny new penny of the day.

2. Jason Arnott/ Tom Poti

Both these guys had reasonable NHL careers once we boo'ed them out of town. We overhyped them both because we didn't have much else to cheer for. Looking back, expecting Mark Messier and Brian Leetch was excessive.

1. Mike Comrie

Nowadays, its fashionable to say that Comrie had about as good of a career as he could have, given his size. In my opinion, that's letting the heartless, mini-Alexei Yashin off the hook. The guy quit on every team he ever played for, until his career finally bottomed out and he no longer had any leverage.

Mike Comrie could have been Daniel Briere if he'd wanted it. Instead, he was content to bounce around the league, live off Daddy's money, and be more famous for marrying Hilary Duff than anything.

Remember the drama during his time with Edmonton? The record-setting pace in the WHL. . . the hype as the next Paul Kariya. . . the will-he-sign drama. . . taking over from Doug Weight as the first-line center as a sophmore and scoring 33 goals. . . the no-look passes and incredible dangles that he did routinely in his first two years and then never bothered with again. . . and that's even before demanding a trade.

DisgruntledGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2011, 11:07 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStig View Post
carson scores 103pts in 84 games with the oilers--he was not around long enough to make any list
Yeah I don't get it either.

Carson produced pretty good here. Goes without saying anybody was gonna pale compared to Gretz. The big knock on Carson is he never disguised the fact that he didn't want to be here. Plus that this is the guy everybody loves to hate because of the Gretz trade.

Plus as mentioned Carson's value still led to the landmark trade that greatly contributed to our SC win in 90.

Old
09-17-2011, 11:37 AM
Stoneman89

Any list of Oiler disappointments has to have Jason Bonsignor on it, based on where he was picked in the draft (prior to Taylor Hall and RNH, that is the highest this team has ever picked), and the hype given from his junior achievements.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2011, 11:41 AM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_80 View Post
Only started following Oilers in 2002.

1) Pronger
2) Souray
3) Nilsson
4) O'Sullivan
5) Lupul
Hard to be disappointed in Prongers short time here. Went within a game of winning it all. Pissed off at him for leaving, but not in his play.

Old
09-17-2011, 11:44 AM
Stoneman89

Hey, doesn't Joe Hulbig (Joe Big) get any love from these lists?

Old
09-17-2011, 11:47 AM
ManByng
Moroz fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
Hey, doesn't Joe Hulbig (Joe Big) get any love from these lists?
...or Kim Issel

ManByng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2011, 11:56 AM
Stoneman89

I can help put it in a nutshell.

Barry Frasers last 10 years of his career, while sitting in his lounger in Cabo making draft selections.