HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Opening night lineup

Old
09-16-2011, 05:12 PM
ShootIt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by luby3131 View Post
Matthias is on a 2 way deal for this current season, so he's not subject to waivers.
Incorrect. The only thing the 2way deal means is how much the team owes said player if he goes to the AHL.

Once a player plays X amount of games he is subject to waivers.

Anyways,

Flesichmann-Weiss-Versteeg
Booth-Santorelli-Upshall
Dadanov-Goc-Kopecky
Matthias-Carter-Bradley
Skille

Kulikov-Campbell
Weaver-Garrison
Jovo-Gudbranson
Ellerby

ShootIt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 05:30 PM
PanthersRule96

Quote:
Originally Posted by luby3131 View Post
Matthias is on a 2 way deal for this current season, so he's not subject to waivers.

Remember, this is the opening night thread. I believe if worst comes to worst, Howden is sent back to junior after a 9 game stint. I wouldn't call his performance "underwhelming" at the rookie camp. He just didn't score. Howden does so many other thinks well, especially away from the puck. I'm telling you guys he's on the team.

Markstrom is a question mark. He most likely starts the season in the AHL, but there is that chance the Panthers keep him up and give him a chance early. San Antonio will be fine without him. Brian Foster needs to get some playing time at the AHL level anyway, but let's just see how he does in the pre-season before we place him on a team.

Skille is in a battle for a job. That's all I'm saying.
Howden has no use on the team this year. There are PLENTY of Bottom 6 guys on this roster who have NHL experience, have guaranteed contracts, and who do what Howden can do AND more right now. The org wants Howden to play an offensive role down the road, but by bringing him up this year, he's more than likely to be stunted in that department. He has zero chance of gaining a top 2 line spot and I'd rather let him work his way up from Jrs to the minors in a role like that as opposed to letting him play on the bottom 2 lines as a defensive energy guy. He's more than likely to turn into the next Rob Niedermayer if he's not handled properly. There are many similarities between those two.

Let him go back to jrs, dominate the league as much or more than last year, and light it up for Canada as a 1st liner on the WJC team. Guys like Skille, Carter, Kopecky, Bergenheim, Bradley, and Matthias all bring good speed, checking, and more experience. They'd rather use one of those guys on their guaranteed deal over burning a year of Howden's entry level. I'd rather Howden at 22-23 than at 19.

Unless you're Fialkov......then Howden will win the Rocket Richard and the Selke this year

PanthersRule96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 07:52 PM
I May Be Wrong
I May Be The Stig

Send a message via MSN to I May Be Wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
Fleischmann - Weiss - Versteeg
Booth - Santorelli - Dads
Upshall - Goc - Kopecky
Bergenheim - Carter - Skille
scratches: Bradley, Matthias

Campbell - Kulikov
Garrison - Weaver
Jovo - Gudbranson
Scratch: Ellerby

these D combos seem the most logical

Theodore/Clemmensen

Our top 6 forwards could all break 20 goals. But I wouldn't bet on any breaking 30 :/ This is going to be a competitive team. Unfortunately, we don't have any players who could be counted on to gives us that needed goal.
I agree with this line up, although I have a feeling Matthias will out-work Carter for a spot. Kind of interesting to see Ellerby scratched even though on a one way deal. Can't wait to see how the D situation pans out during camp.

I May Be Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 08:54 PM
Erick

I think predicting lines at this point is rather silly. Maybe not silly, but definitely impossible.

This team is completely brand new. I'm just excited to watch them play and see what happens, but it's just impossible to predict lines.

I think it's a lot easier just to predict who makes the team/who doesn't.

I can't even predict what line 1 is going to look like.
It's a team full of pretty good players but no superstars. I guess Weiss is basically a lock to center our first line because he's clearly better than any other center on the team, but the rest is truly unpredictable.

In terms of skill, Fleischmann is a first liner on this team, imo. Tallon seems really excited to have him as well, so it wouldn't surprise me. Fleisch is definitely going to be in the top-6, and Booth will be as well. Santorelli should be the 2nd line C, as Goc is perfect for the 3rd line C role.

Erick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 09:02 PM
PanthersRule96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
I think predicting lines at this point is rather silly. Maybe not silly, but definitely impossible.

This team is completely brand new. I'm just excited to watch them play and see what happens, but it's just impossible to predict lines.

It's a team full of pretty good players but no superstars. I guess Weiss is basically a lock to center our first line because he's clearly better than any other center on the team, but the rest is truly unpredictable.

In terms of skill, Fleischmann is a first liner on this team, imo. Tallon seems really excited to have him as well, so it wouldn't surprise me. Fleisch is definitely going to be in the top-6, and Booth will be as well. Santorelli should be the 2nd line C, as Goc is perfect for the 3rd line C role.
Idk why but I have a feeling that Santorelli is going to be passed on this team by several players, such as Goc, Matthias, and obviously down the road, guys like Huber, Bjugstad, and co.
Santo had a great year last year as none of of expected it, has sweet hands, and finds ways to put pucks in the net, but he's brutal defensively and isn't strong on the puck (neither was Frolik). He gets knocked over all the time and isn't that fast either, especially compared to the guys we got. Tallon's all about strong bodys and good puck protection. Perhaps that's why it took so long to get Santo's deal done, and I could be totally wrong here, but I'm not sure if they see him as a core piece of the organization moving forward. Goc is almost as good offensively, but is a stud defensively and is stronger.

Of course just as likely, he could take the next step and turn into the next Ray Whitney and pot 50-60 points and 20-30 goals. Just a random thought I've had over time....

And by passed, I don't mean he won't make the team. He'll certainly make the roster and IMO won't be below 3rd line C starting out, but who knows what will happen during the season.

Last edited by PanthersRule96: 09-16-2011 at 09:03 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old
09-16-2011, 09:11 PM
Erick

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersRule96 View Post
Idk why but I have a feeling that Santorelli is going to be passed on this team by several players, such as Goc, Matthias, and obviously down the road, guys like Huber, Bjugstad, and co.
Santo had a great year last year as none of of expected it, has sweet hands, and finds ways to put pucks in the net, but he's brutal defensively and isn't strong on the puck (neither was Frolik). He gets knocked over all the time and isn't that fast either, especially compared to the guys we got. Tallon's all about strong bodys and good puck protection. Perhaps that's why it took so long to get Santo's deal done, and I could be totally wrong here, but I'm not sure if they see him as a core piece of the organization moving forward. Goc is almost as good offensively, but is a stud defensively and is stronger.

Of course just as likely, he could take the next step and turn into the next Ray Whitney and pot 50-60 points and 20-30 goals. Just a random thought I've had over time....

And by passed, I don't mean he won't make the team. He'll certainly make the roster and IMO won't be below 3rd line C starting out, but who knows what will happen during the season.
I agree. I'm not that high on Santorelli for the same reasons.

With that said, I think he starts the year as the 2nd line C.

Old
09-16-2011, 09:18 PM
jakethesnake23

if we cant do better than Timmins for 4th line center ill be severely dissapointed

jakethesnake23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 09:31 PM
PanthersRule96

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakethesnake23 View Post
if we cant do better than Timmins for 4th line center ill be severely dissapointed
No way Timmins makes the roster IMO. He should have dominated rookie camp after seeing time in the show and the A. Big deal if he could score a goal or two against the newly drafted kids right out of high school and what not.

In camp, he's going to be behind Carter, Matthias, Repik, Dadonov, Skille, and Bradley, all guys he's going to have to be better than if he wants a spot. He doesn't have great skills and is more than likely another Globke, Oreskovich, Jacina, Larman, etc., though hopefully he tops out as better than those chumps. Give him a year or two in the A still and let him earn his callups and fill in on the bottom 6 when we have injuries. He'll never end up being more than a 3rd liner in the NHL anyway, so I don't care much either way, but he's definitely not there yet.

Old
09-16-2011, 09:40 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

So, no Huberdeau?

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 09:49 PM
I May Be Wrong
I May Be The Stig

Send a message via MSN to I May Be Wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHGoalie72 View Post
So, no Huberdeau?
Highly doubt it. He just isn't ready. Apparently he is a stick out there. I believe it.

I May Be Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 09:54 PM
PanthersRule96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booootthh View Post
Highly doubt it. He just isn't ready. Apparently he is a stick out there. I believe it.
Shvidki was thin despite all his "potential" when he was brought up pretty early (1 year post draft) and we all know what happened to him. If Huber goes back to jrs this year (after playing in a few exhibition games, perhaps 9 game TO but idk about it) and knows he has to get bigger and stronger and makes it his sole focus this season, he will be much better for it in the long run and certainly for next year when he can challenge for a spot on the team in a top 6 role.

Old
09-16-2011, 09:58 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

no boothweiss

Old
09-16-2011, 10:00 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booootthh View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersRule96 View Post
Shvidki was thin despite all his "potential" when he was brought up pretty early (1 year post draft) and we all know what happened to him. If Huber goes back to jrs this year (after playing in a few exhibition games, perhaps 9 game TO but idk about it) and knows he has to get bigger and stronger and makes it his sole focus this season, he will be much better for it in the long run and certainly for next year when he can challenge for a spot on the team in a top 6 role.
no good news

Old
09-16-2011, 11:05 PM
jol

Keep in mind that Tallon has already said they're going to carry only 22 players so I only had 1 extra forward and 1 extra d-man as a result.[/QUOTE]

Hmm, why not 23 (or which one is roster limit 22/23).

JOL

jol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2011, 07:32 AM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by jol View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn
Keep in mind that Tallon has already said they're going to carry only 22 players so I only had 1 extra forward and 1 extra d-man as a result.
Hmm, why not 23 (or which one is roster limit 22/23).

JOL
I'm not sure why but I assume its so that if either Huberdeau or Howden gets a 9 game tryout, they would fill that 23rd spot temporarily. Also I assume that sitting in the booth upstairs instead of playing on the farm isn't what Tallon wants to do w any of the possible guys fighting for the last few spots.

Coolburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2011, 08:14 AM
JP Mick
Fire trucks beware!

vCash: 120
Quote:

Agreed!

JP Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2011, 08:28 AM
JP Mick
Fire trucks beware!

vCash: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
Booth - Santorelli - Dads
Upshall - Goc - Kopecky
Bergenheim - Carter - Skille
scratches: Bradley, Matthias

Campbell - Kulikov
Garrison - Weaver
Jovo - Gudbranson
Scratch: Ellerby

these D combos seem the most logical

Theodore/Clemmensen

Our top 6 forwards could all break 20 goals. But I wouldn't bet on any breaking 30 :/ This is going to be a competitive team. Unfortunately, we don't have any players who could be counted on to gives us that needed goal.
This would be my line-up guess. The wingers will move up and down especially in the bottom 6, and of course chemistry will be a big factor. Someone will get injured at some point so it's nice to have depth without resorting to SA call-ups.
It's going to be nice to roll four skilled lines! That will be our advantage over other teams this season.

JP Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2011, 10:23 AM
SufferingCatFan

this is my guess. Trader Tallon will try to move a number of players before the start of the season. We just have too many players signed to contracts and too many NHL ready prospects.

I think that Booth , Matthias, Repik, Weaver/Garrison are all available for the right price. I just have a gut feeling about Booth, don't know why.

SufferingCatFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2011, 01:57 PM
luby3131

Quote:
Originally Posted by SufferingCatFan View Post
this is my guess. Trader Tallon will try to move a number of players before the start of the season. We just have too many players signed to contracts and too many NHL ready prospects.

I think that Booth , Matthias, Repik, Weaver/Garrison are all available for the right price. I just have a gut feeling about Booth, don't know why.
I'd have to agree. Matthias and Repik can be had for a bag of pucks. Weaver/Garrison won't be going anywhere though, they're just too good at what they do.

Booth, on the other hand, is a tough case. He is a good player, but not as good as some Panthers fans seem to think. Fleischmann is an upgrade over him. If Huberdeau and/or Howden really flash in camp, Booth could possibly find himself on the outs. It is a long shot though.

luby3131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2011, 02:51 PM
Erick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakethesnake23 View Post
Timmins won't make the team.

Old
09-17-2011, 07:13 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Booth - Santorelli - Dadonov
Upshall - Goc - Kopecky
Bergenheim - Matthias - Bradley
scratches: Skille, Carter

Campbell-Kulikov
Garrison-Weaver
Jovanovski-Gudbranson
Ellerby

(wishful thinking vvv)
Markstrom
Clemmensen
Theodore

Old
09-17-2011, 08:27 PM
bishop12
Ovyously

Booth will be on the top line..no question.

bishop12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2011, 09:01 PM
CatscratchFever
Cup or bust!

Send a message via AIM to CatscratchFever
Quote:

I've always felt this way. It's my belief is that it stems from the video game hockey mentality. I find it trite and boring. I realize I'm in the minority, and I'm okay with that. I assume the actual coach will be making the decisions about personnel on the ice at any given time. That being said, what I think or believe the line combos and defensive parings should be means absolutely nothing. So I choose not to share that in every "line-up" thread that comes down the pike. Thanks for reading my rant!

CatscratchFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2011, 10:27 PM
jakethesnake23

Quote:
Timmins won't make the team.
This is what ive always thought.... I was just surprised that a few posters had him beating out a few regular guys for a spot.

jakethesnake23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 05:00 AM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatscratchFever View Post
I've always felt this way. It's my belief is that it stems from the video game hockey mentality. I find it trite and boring. I realize I'm in the minority, and I'm okay with that. I assume the actual coach will be making the decisions about personnel on the ice at any given time. That being said, what I think or believe the line combos and defensive parings should be means absolutely nothing. So I choose not to share that in every "line-up" thread that comes down the pike. Thanks for reading my rant!
Then why post in here? Most sport fans are armchair GMs, and doing things like this is just a norm for most of us, it passes time, and its just enjoyable.

pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote