HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Dark horses

Old
09-16-2011, 09:20 AM
bigd

vCash: 500
Dark horses

Who will be the dark horse player or players to make the Pens this season? It doesn't have to be right out of camp. Many of the youngsters will be headed to WBS regardless of how good of a camp they have just because they are on ELC's. But if they have a strong camp they may get the call with injuries or trades.

bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 09:21 AM
Sideline

I'm convinced Jeffrey, Tangradi, and Despres will all play 10+ games in the NHL this year. I think Jeffrey and Tangradi have a good shot to break 40 games.

Sideline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 09:35 AM
HandshakeLine
is probso trolling u

Tangradi's clearly the biggest dark horse, since he's got the most potential and simultaneously, needs to be the most improved to make his mark, since he's got to show immediate results in order to stick. He also has a role which the organization needs to fill, so I think he'll get more looks than most of the other prospects when it comes down to the final cuts.

Jeffery, I think, is guaranteed to see a fair amount of games in the bottom 6. Despres won't get more than a cup of coffee and that's only after the injury bug hits.

HandshakeLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 09:41 AM
HandshakeLine
is probso trolling u

Also, I think that Strait and Bortuzzo would be possible call-ups before Despres, barring an absolutely amazing camp on Simon's part. They're just farther along in their development and conditioning, and could benefit more from a stint in the NHL, I think, especially if Niskanen starts to falter or Engelland gets hurt/suspended.

Old
09-16-2011, 09:50 AM
JTG

I don't know if Jeffrey could be considered a dark horse because I don't think there's a remote threat of him going to WBS since he has to pass through waivers.

I don't really see anyone out of the guys we already know will make the team making it this year.

If you were going to talk about dark horse players who could push for bigger roles this season...I think Jeffrey, Tangradi, and Letestu will all do that. I'm also sort of intrigued by Lovejoy. He had a rough playoffs, but I think he might have a little more left in him. I hope Niskanen turns into a productive player, but I'm not really holding my breath.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 10:14 AM
SirBrad

This is a do or die type year for Tangradi if you ask me. If he doesn't find his way with the Pens this year, he's going to end up being moved to another team I would guess.

SirBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 10:19 AM
HandshakeLine
is probso trolling u

Lovejoy is Scuderi 2.0. And remember how long we suffered under Rob "Skidmark" Scuderi until his last season here? Defenders, even unremarkable #5's and #6's generally take a long time to season. Plus, he's cheap, and we can carry a #7 on the roster, if we need to. He's not a darkhorse by any means. He's right on schedule.

Niskanen and Engelland are the more uncertain NHL players on the blueline. It's not entirely out of the question that Bortuzzo (who's a better skater than Engelland if not as tough) could fill that role servicably if Derek goes down at any point in the season. Strait seems like a better fit if Niskanen and Lovejoy are out for some reason. That's why I pencil those two in.

I don't know why people are on Despres' jock so hard this year. He had a great junior season last year, but so did Kuenhackl. And frankly, we need wingers far more than we need more blueliners, regardless of how much people ***** about Martin's caphit or whatever is the rage this year.

Old
09-16-2011, 10:27 AM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandshakeLine View Post
Lovejoy is Scuderi 2.0. And remember how long we suffered under Rob "Skidmark" Scuderi until his last season here? Defenders, even unremarkable #5's and #6's generally take a long time to season. Plus, he's cheap, and we can carry a #7 on the roster, if we need to. He's not a darkhorse by any means. He's right on schedule.

Niskanen and Engelland are the more uncertain NHL players on the blueline. It's not entirely out of the question that Bortuzzo (who's a better skater than Engelland if not as tough) could fill that role servicably if Derek goes down at any point in the season. Strait seems like a better fit if Niskanen and Lovejoy are out for some reason. That's why I pencil those two in.

I don't know why people are on Despres' jock so hard this year. He had a great junior season last year, but so did Kuenhackl. And frankly, we need wingers far more than we need more blueliners, regardless of how much people ***** about Martin's caphit or whatever is the rage this year.
It's about the cap space, Chi. We don't particularly know what we're going to use it for...but we need it.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 10:55 AM
bigd

I'm picking Joey V. Joe Vitale will be the 4th line center before the allstar break.

Last edited by bigd: 09-16-2011 at 11:36 AM.
Old
09-16-2011, 11:32 AM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd View Post
I'm picking Joey V. Joe Vitale will be the 1st line center at the all star game.
Fixed.

Coach John McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 11:38 AM
bigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach John McGuirk View Post
Fixed.
ChiChi Vitale will be happy.

Last edited by bigd: 09-16-2011 at 12:07 PM.
Old
09-16-2011, 11:47 AM
Darth Vitale
Lesshaus > Morehaus

Do not underestimate the competitive fire that burns in this man's soul.
Games will be played, non-believers will convert, balance will be restored to the force.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 11:47 AM
Jag68Sid87

Could Keven Veilleux beat out Arron Asham for fourth-line RW? Or could his presence take MacIntyre's job? I wouldn't put money on it, but maybe Veilleux becomes a fourth-line fixture by season's end.

I'm sticking to my guns on Despres. He'll win a job out of camp, force Niskanen to be dealt and become our No. 5 as the season progresses.

I am also picking Richard Park to win a job on the fourth line.

As for Jeffrey, his status is tied to Crosby's. I'm not liking Jeffrey's chances if Sid is healthy.

Letestu is on his way out, imo. And Tangradi, well I just don't think he'll get a fair shake. I don't think they like him all that much.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 11:51 AM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
Could Keven Veilleux beat out Arron Asham for fourth-line RW? Or could his presence take MacIntyre's job? I wouldn't put money on it, but maybe Veilleux becomes a fourth-line fixture by season's end.

I'm sticking to my guns on Despres. He'll win a job out of camp, force Niskanen to be dealt and become our No. 5 as the season progresses.

As for Jeffrey, his status is tied to Crosby's. I'm not liking Jeffrey's chances if Sid is healthy.

Letestu is on his way out, imo. And Tangradi, well I just don't think he'll get a fair shake. I don't think they like him all that much.
There is nothing in this post that makes sense or that i agree with.

MrBurgundy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 11:51 AM
BestRussian71*

Plenty of guys will get a shot since sullivan will play in less than 40 games, kunitz will miss 20+ games, and asham will miss around 20. My prediction is that tAngradi will be dealt at the trade deadline after a poor showing this year. Some Gm will be dumb enough to take a chance on him thinking maybe he just needs a change of scenery

BestRussian71* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 11:55 AM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post

What makes you say this?

I think if they didn't like him he would have been Pesonen'ed. Don't see it.

Ugene Malkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 12:04 PM
Darth Vitale
Lesshaus > Morehaus

BTW I don't consider Tangradi a darkhorse at all, by virtue of the fact that he's our best offensive prospect and has clearly worked on his frame and his game since we saw him last year, and thus is at least physically better able to handle things (most likely). That, combined with a continuing need to add more skill on the wings in lines 2 and 3, removes him from darkhorse territory.

All this stuff about signing Park and Williams and maybe giving this guy or that guy a tryout doesn't mean squat. None of these guys are in any better position to win the spot than Tangradi IMO; they have just as much to prove as he does. If I were Disco and Tangradi had a great camp and Williams or Park were just OK, I'd give it to Tangradi based on his size, youth and potential upside / need to get experience. He's got to beat them out clean, but if he does there's no way I wouldn't have him in there the first several games to see if it translates. We should expect Park and Williams to spend some time in WBS this year, so no harm in starting them there at the beginning if Tangradi is showing himself worthy of a shot.

Old
09-16-2011, 12:10 PM
OnlyTheBrave*

From the recent arguments here...

Jordan Staal is a darkhorse, but really...I think it's Nick Johnson.

OnlyTheBrave* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 12:15 PM
Sidney the Kidney
All zee Germans!

vCash: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyTheBrave View Post
From the recent arguments here...

Jordan Staal is a darkhorse, but really...I think it's Nick Johnson.
I was just about to mention him. Seems like every time he's asked a question about the youngsters, Bylsma seems to name drop him as often as he possibly can.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 12:19 PM
cassius

Sullivan isn't gonna play anywhere close to 82 games, so once his body breaks down there will be plenty of room for Tangradi / Jeffrey to stick with the big club.

cassius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 12:26 PM
OnlyTheBrave*

Sidney the Kidney - I think Bylsma is annoyed people here are always ignoring him, lol. I have faith in Nick Johnson, maybe I saw what Dan saw in him when he proclaimed to be an "NHL player" or something like that, a few months ago.

Hopefully Nick has learned that fighting really isn't his thing or that blocking punches with his face is probably a bad idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassius View Post
Sullivan isn't gonna play anywhere close to 82 games, so once his body breaks down there will be plenty of room for Tangradi / Jeffrey to stick with the big club.
It's ok, if Sullivan breaks down, they can rebuild him.

Old
09-16-2011, 12:32 PM
Darth Vitale
Lesshaus > Morehaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassius View Post
Jeffrey will be there to fill in the 3C slot most likely, until Sid comes back. When he does come back I wouldn't be shocked at all if Jeffrey is moved to wing based on his decent offensive skills. In short I will be surprised if Jeffrey doesn't stick the whole season or almost all of it.

Last edited by Darth Vitale: 09-16-2011 at 01:09 PM.
Old
09-16-2011, 12:36 PM
OnlyTheBrave*

What is Jeffrey's waiver situation? I thought Tangradi was the only guy out of the WBS crew that was someone that could pass through waivers?

Old
09-16-2011, 12:41 PM
Tasty Biscuits
with fancy sauce

Quote:
What is Jeffrey's waiver situation? I thought Tangradi was the only guy out of the WBS crew that was someone that could pass through waivers?
You are correct.

Tasty Biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 12:43 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
Correct. Jeffrey would have to pass through waivers to play in WBS.

MrBurgundy* is offline   Reply With Quote