HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Contents of NHL training camps?

Old
09-15-2011, 12:51 PM
Beville
#ForTheBoys

vCash: 500
Contents of NHL training camps?

Hello all,

As you can tell, I'm from the United Kingdom of England Land, and as such, have to face a poor standard of hockey where I can't really find out what I need to know...

As such, I come to you, wise people from across the pond/the channel (For all you Euros )

So, I pose this question to you.

What does the training camp consist of? I mean, I know it consists of fitness tests and drills, but I need something a bit more specific.. Sure, I could say what I did at training, but I highly doubt NHL teams use the Horseshoe at training camp?

Cheers everyone

Beville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 08:06 PM
AIREAYE

Well, camps serve a bunch of purposes. Aside from the drills and conditioning; it's to evaluate all of the players the organization considers competent enough to play pro hockey; be it AHL, NHL or wherever. For rookies and draft picks, it's to evaluate their progress and decide whether they should be returned to their junior team or be given a chance at the big league.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 08:33 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

I haven't seen a lot of them in person, but what I have seen was mainly "station" type drills mixed with full-length breakouts.

For example they might do 10 minutes or so where the defensemen work on checking a puck carrier out of the corner at one end, while the forwards work on pass-pass-onetimer on the other end. Then the whole group gets back together and does 2-on-1 up the ice in one direction followed by a 3-on-2 in the other direction, with players rotating in and out such that they go both directions. After about 10-15 minutes, stop for a water break and listen to the coach explain the next drill.

The main focuses are on individual puck skills, positioning/angles, and conditioning... the coaches are both teaching and evaluating at the same time. It's really not that different from a well-organized youth practice, except done at a very high speed and intensity.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 09:53 AM
Logie

There was just a best of brittish hockey camp in Sheffield. Few of my mates said its was great, all sorts of drills too many to list.

Cant wait for the next one next year, worth keeping your eye out for it. Its 6 days covers on ice, off ice and tactics + fitness

Logie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 12:34 PM
Beville
#ForTheBoys

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
I haven't seen a lot of them in person, but what I have seen was mainly "station" type drills mixed with full-length breakouts.

For example they might do 10 minutes or so where the defensemen work on checking a puck carrier out of the corner at one end, while the forwards work on pass-pass-onetimer on the other end. Then the whole group gets back together and does 2-on-1 up the ice in one direction followed by a 3-on-2 in the other direction, with players rotating in and out such that they go both directions. After about 10-15 minutes, stop for a water break and listen to the coach explain the next drill.

The main focuses are on individual puck skills, positioning/angles, and conditioning... the coaches are both teaching and evaluating at the same time. It's really not that different from a well-organized youth practice, except done at a very high speed and intensity.
Ahh ok, thanks for that. Really helped

And to Logie, Forgot about that BOB camp.. Back in my days no one really cared about it though, my mates were more into the old Anglo Czech camp...

Beville is offline   Reply With Quote