HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

About "NHL Rumor" Sources (criticism)

Old
09-16-2011, 01:43 PM
Sureves

vCash: 500
About "NHL Rumor" Sources (criticism)

Inspired by the recent report by *************** about the Schenn signing, I have something I'd like to say.

I don't understand how most rumor reporters get any credibility. I mean, almost all rumors have no actually substance to them at all. For example, *************** said:

**BREAKING NHL NEWS**Source: Leafs & Schenn drama is finally over, Burke has finally finalized a Multi Year deal with Schenn #DealDone

So while this happens the next day, it is obviously a completely fabricated rumor. For how much? How many years? Without those details this guy is just completely talking out of his ass.

And I don't mean to pick on him, there are hundreds of "rumor reporters" out there who do the exact same thing. I mean, you'll constantly hear people say:

"Hearing that Chris Phillips might be traded to the Western Conference"

What an empty, blanket statement. For what? To who? When? What about his NTC?

Without providing those kind of details these rumors are complete bs and are clearly just trying to generate hits. These sources shouldn't even be allowed to be posted on the site. It's total garbage, and I'm sick of it.

Anyone else feel the same way?

Sureves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 01:49 PM
jmart21
MISC!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sureves View Post
Inspired by the recent report by *************** about the Schenn signing, I have something I'd like to say.

I don't understand how most rumor reporters get any credibility. I mean, almost all rumors have no actually substance to them at all. For example, *************** said:

**BREAKING NHL NEWS**Source: Leafs & Schenn drama is finally over, Burke has finally finalized a Multi Year deal with Schenn #DealDone

So while this happens the next day, it is obviously a completely fabricated rumor. For how much? How many years? Without those details this guy is just completely talking out of his ass.

And I don't mean to pick on him, there are hundreds of "rumor reporters" out there who do the exact same thing. I mean, you'll constantly hear people say:

Without providing those kind of details these rumors are complete bs and are clearly just trying to generate hits. These sources shouldn't even be allowed to be posted on the site. It's total garbage, and I'm sick of it.

He's just grasping at straws.

It was obvious he'd be resigned....especially with camp approaching.

jmart21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 01:50 PM
VanJaysFan*

Gives us something to discuss on here but no value beyond that.

VanJaysFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 01:54 PM
Paradingwolves

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmart21 View Post
He's just grasping at straws.

It was obvious he'd be resigned....especially with camp approaching.
This. He wasn't being traded and both parties wanted him on the ice to start camp. So any smart reporter looking to seem credible would make this claim and almost be certain it would be right.

Although I believe Eklund had Schenn traded a few times this summer, gotta love that guy.

Paradingwolves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 01:55 PM
ekcut

Send a message via MSN to ekcut
You've been here since Sept 2008 and your JUST figuring this out now????

FYI...Santa doesn't exist, and neither does the easter bunny!

ekcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 01:56 PM
jmart21
MISC!!!

in before "But he'z sooo guud at MLB n' NFL stuffz"

IB has proven time and time again that he is unreliable when it comes to anything hockey. Paul Statsny to TO? How many firestorms did he start with that time and time again?

jmart21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 01:56 PM
caley

I understand what you're saying, but I also understand the appeal of the sites. Sure, they're wrong most of the time, but when player movement is slow, it's exciting to read that Boston might trade Brad Marchand or that Toronto might deal Luke Schenn, even while the rational part of you knows that it will never happen.

Also, I know some people might get upset when certain sources are disallowed (IB, NHL Sources Say, that other one people have been using this summer whose name I forget), and to the casual observer, it may seem rather arbitrary. But, it makes things so much better that we keep it rather strict here. When the NFL season was coming up, I went looking for a similar board to this one, only for football. I found one, and ended up completely frustrated because of the lack of policing. For instance, one guy started a thread saying that Denver was shopping Tim Tebow. People argued about his worth, talked about speculative destinations, made fun of him, made fun of Denver and the like, and, finally, after about 10 pages of this, someone finally decided to point out that the source had no connections to anyone, no credibility, and never actually said what was in the OP. It gave me a newfound appreciation for the strict policies and policing of HF.

caley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 02:04 PM
vezna*
Canada's Team

Eklund did the same. just off the top of my head, he started a Malkin to TO and a Stamkos to TO rumours. both in this offseason.

high standards here in HF

vezna* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 02:08 PM
Generic User
Generic Moderator

I would like to rant as well. Just for a second, though.

I HATE it when someone who knows better posts an Eklund rumor and in the OP it says something like "I know it's Eklund so take it for what it's worth" (which isn't anything). So that basically means "I know this isn't true, but I want my threads created count to go up."

Generic User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 02:22 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User View Post
I would like to rant as well. Just for a second, though.

I HATE it when someone who knows better posts an Eklund rumor and in the OP it says something like "I know it's Eklund so take it for what it's worth" (which isn't anything). So that basically means "I know this isn't true, but I want my threads created count to go up."
I will give Eklund credit for waivers though. He seems to have an inside track with them.

But the rest of it is crap. I mean how hard is it to make one up? There are a lot of things that make a lot of sense on paper, such as a d-man to Edmonton and them trading away a young kid.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 02:28 PM
Sureves

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
I will give Eklund credit for waivers though. He seems to have an inside track with them.

But the rest of it is crap. I mean how hard is it to make one up? There are a lot of things that make a lot of sense on paper, such as a d-man to Edmonton and them trading away a young kid.
I didn't want to bring up Eklund because he's a poster here but he is the worst person imaginable for this.

He constantly mentions "I hear a western conference team is interested in a Toronto Maple Leafs player" for example.

Which team? Which player? Who's going the other way?

He (rather most rumor reporters) just try to be as broad as possible so that they might be right every now and then even though it was a complete guess.

If they want me to take their rumors seriously, and you guys should feel the same way, specifics are required.

Sureves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 02:35 PM
hawksfan79

To me, frankly, if you care that much about hockey rumors, then you need to focus your energy on something else. All it is to me is just a basis for conversation. Maybe he made it up, maybe the source he talks to is trying to work him, maybe it was something that was discussed but quickly shot down, maybe it's actually true, does it really matter? A rumor site is not the New York Times and it shouldn't be treated as such. It's actually interesting to me how people get so bent out of shape on Eklund, it's not life or death, it's just RUMORS.

hawksfan79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 02:38 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 374
I remember the days when the only rumors you'd get would be in the Sunday papers.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 02:45 PM
Canuckfan4Life2

*************** is a joke,this is the same clown that was saying D Howard had been traded to the lakers and when it didn't happen he was blocking everyone that called him out on it

Also same guy that said Tyler Beede has signed with the jays which never happened

Pretty sure there's a long list of his crap

Canuckfan4Life2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 03:39 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 504
Quote:

if you know where to look you know where Bob gets his info

Heaven wont take me and hell is afraid I'd take 0ver
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 10:41 PM
The Infamous Tank
Franklinator Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekcut View Post
You've been here since Sept 2008 and your JUST figuring this out now????

FYI...Santa doesn't exist, and neither does the easter bunny!
What!!!!!!!!!! Are you kidding me?!?!?!!?

The Infamous Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2011, 12:56 PM
palindrom

Quote:

I get the spirit of your post, and its worthy to be discussed about. But im not sure you did formulate it correctly.

The problem i have with rumor, is when people start to base the value of a player according to a rumor. (Kaberle for Carter + 1st anyone?)

Like if we see a 1st is offered for a X player.

it could be a early or a late 1st, it could be a 1st +++ or a 1st for the player +++++. It could be almost anything, there is a lot of room for misinterpretation.

and why did the trade didnt pass in the first place? Probably because the value wasn't right.

So how can people base the value of a player according to a rumor?

palindrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2011, 01:41 PM
TrollololBoyle

I think hockey reporters are the worst from a credibility standpoint... Baseball and football by far have the best reporters who actually have inside info from front offices.

TrollololBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2011, 01:59 PM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckfan4Life2 View Post
*************** is a joke,this is the same clown that was saying D Howard had been traded to the lakers and when it didn't happen he was blocking everyone that called him out on it

Also same guy that said Tyler Beede has signed with the jays which never happened

Pretty sure there's a long list of his crap

----------------------------

He did however call the Peyton Manning neck surgery 5 days before anyone else.

Beerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2011, 02:01 PM
Jeffler
Shut Up Jeffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerz View Post
----------------------------

He did however call the Peyton Manning neck surgery 5 days before anyone else.
He's alright with football. Hockey though? He's been right ONCE. That being the Scott Gordon firing.

Old
09-17-2011, 02:11 PM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffler View Post
He's alright with football. Hockey though? He's been right ONCE. That being the Scott Gordon firing.
----------------

yeah... i just recently started following him...and havent seen him call anything correctly on hockey but... it is what it is... Not sure why people get upset over it tho'.

Beerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2011, 02:43 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

I can't see how anyone can bash incacerated bob...The guy has been bang on with 90% of everything he says. The Peyton Manning thing was huge.

You want to bash him for his hockey rumours, but he's been very accurate as of late. He said he say Tavares' agent with Snow and that the deal was done...The next day it was announced. He also said Bailey was given an ultimatum to sign before 7 AM the following day, and his contract was completed overnight. He also correctly called Staios to the Islanders for a tryout way before anyone else. The guy is legit, I don't see how anyone can deny it.

waffledave
waffledave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2011, 02:52 PM
Slashers98

For the NHL, Incarcerated Bob is very accurate about the New York teams, for the rest, take it with a grain of salt!

Slashers98 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2011, 03:25 PM
Renbarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slashers98 View Post
For the NHL, Incarcerated Bob is very accurate about the New York teams, for the rest, take it with a grain of salt!
No he's not. He called a Semin to the Islanders trade a half dozen times already.

Renbarg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2011, 03:30 PM
LeafsGetTavares*

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
I can't see how anyone can bash incacerated bob...The guy has been bang on with 90% of everything he says. The Peyton Manning thing was huge.

You want to bash him for his hockey rumours, but he's been very accurate as of late. He said he say Tavares' agent with Snow and that the deal was done...The next day it was announced. He also said Bailey was given an ultimatum to sign before 7 AM the following day, and his contract was completed overnight. He also correctly called Staios to the Islanders for a tryout way before anyone else. The guy is legit, I don't see how anyone can deny it.
Bold 1. Wrong, that was Bobby Mac
Bold 2. Wrong, that was hockey break
Bold 3. Wrong, Katriestrang

LeafsGetTavares* is offline   Reply With Quote