HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Winnie hurt at practice today...

Old
09-18-2011, 02:30 AM
Mephias

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehner View Post
Its not that I wish harm on people or anything, just dont want him on the team.
Yeah? Then wtf was this then:

Quote:
Please be done for the year!
Never mind the fact that Winchester being out for the season would have no effect whatsoever on his roster status. NHL contracts are guaranteed, so Winchester would still be on the team. Also, since we are nowhere near the cap, we'd get zero cap relief from putting him on LTIR, meaning the team would simply be down 700k and a 13th forward, with nothing to show for it.

So explain to us why you hope Winchester's injury is season-ending.

Mephias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 02:46 AM
Topside

Is it even possible to have a cheaper, more useful, less complain-y guy in the pressbox? Dumb comment to not want Winnie on the team. Especially since we have suuuch amazing depth, and players who are not injury prone at all. /sarcasm

Topside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 06:19 AM
koreaboy

cmon. no one should be cheering for a guy to get injured. like him or not, this is still a guy trying to earn a living and have a career, and something like this could ruin his ability to do that. if this is indeed a serious injury we should feel bad for the guy. this was a critical camp for him and he deserved a shot to keep his job with a good camp. this obviously is going to make it even more difficult to do that.

koreaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 08:35 AM
sens2k9

I think Winchester has proven he's an NHL player. He's perfect for our fourth line (or any in the league for that matter)
I hope he has a speedy recovery and proves the haters wrong.

sens2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 08:49 AM
Lehner
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephias View Post
Yeah? Then wtf was this then:

Never mind the fact that Winchester being out for the season would have no effect whatsoever on his roster status. NHL contracts are guaranteed, so Winchester would still be on the team. Also, since we are nowhere near the cap, we'd get zero cap relief from putting him on LTIR, meaning the team would simply be down 700k and a 13th forward, with nothing to show for it.

So explain to us why you hope Winchester's injury is season-ending.
I dont want him to play on the Senators, how is it hard to understand? You guys may think hes a perfect 4th liner or something but I dont, I see him as a guy that takes up a roster spot. He has a horrible shot, no offensive awareness on the ice, and doesnt really fight...Great hes good on the boards, but we need more then that.

Last edited by Lehner: 09-18-2011 at 09:08 AM.
Lehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 08:53 AM
robsenz

I really like the guy, but he really does have a horrible shot...maybe even the worst I've seen at the NHL level

robsenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 09:14 AM
EastCoastSensFan

Quote:
I dont want him to play on the Senators, how is it hard to understand? You guys may think hes a perfect 4th liner or something but I dont, I see him as a guy that takes up a roster spot. He has a horrible shot, no offensive awareness on the ice, and doesnt really fight...Great hes good on the boards, but we need more then that.
who is going to replace him in your mind? who else under contract do you want to play the all important 13th forward on a rebuilding team.

EastCoastSensFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 09:20 AM
Iamok
#Panic

Quote:
There's a difference between not wanting him on the team, and being glad that he's injured. Which is the problem with your original statement.

Iamok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 09:28 AM
Lehner
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastSensFan View Post
who is going to replace him in your mind? who else under contract do you want to play the all important 13th forward on a rebuilding team.
Well looking at how our team is shaping up:

Filatov Spezza Butler
Michalek Zibanejad Alfredsson
Foligno Regin Condra
Greening Smith Neil
Konopka, Da Costa, then to a lesser extent Petersson, JOB

We dont need Winchester.

Old
09-18-2011, 09:47 AM
Micklebot

Quote:

Filatov Spezza Butler
Foligno Regin Condra
Greening Smith Neil

We dont need Winchester.
You do understand the role of a 13th forward right? If Zibanejad makes the team, Konopka works. Da Costa, Petersson and JOB should not be the 13th man at this stage in there career.

Winchester's a good 13th man because were not ruining him by sitting on the bench, he can step in and not hurt us, he is good for practice drills and such.

He's already doubled Konopka's career offensive output, and is also a great PK'er and face guy. The only thing Konopka has is fighting.

I don't see what more you want from a guy who's role is to be the healthy scratch.

Micklebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 09:57 AM
eyeno

You couldnt be more wrong

Quote:
You havent a clue what it takes to make a team and who should be playing in what situations.All these negative comments are not original from you thats easy to tell.Not that I agree with any of your crap but I doubt you even know enough about the game to come up with that.People like you that have that type of thought process are not what most of us would call a good fan.Feel sorry for your one or two friends

eyeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 10:07 AM
True Story

Last edited by True Story: 05-11-2012 at 09:26 AM.
True Story is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 10:08 AM
Lehner
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeno View Post
You havent a clue what it takes to make a team and who should be playing in what situations.All these negative comments are not original from you thats easy to tell.Not that I agree with any of your crap but I doubt you even know enough about the game to come up with that.People like you that have that type of thought process are not what most of us would call a good fan.Feel sorry for your one or two friends
Im not exactly sure what your trying to say here, but I think your trying to say I took this from someone else and isnt coming from me. I made these threads trying to get rid of Winchester, I have not liked him for a long time:

Last year:
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=838980
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=828293

Two years ago:
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=693085

Old
09-18-2011, 10:16 AM
True Story

Last edited by True Story: 05-11-2012 at 09:24 AM.
True Story is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 10:23 AM
EastCoastSensFan

looking at all the contracts and young guys looking for jobs it would not shock me if the team started the season with a full 23 man roster. 14 forwards and 7D.

Without winny it will now likely be just 13f and 7d.

EastCoastSensFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 10:25 AM
jordan7hm

He's the best player we have along the boards.

It's really not even close. He almost always comes out with the puck. It's just too bad that he doesn't have skill to do anything with it afterwards.

A solid 4th line player.

jordan7hm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 10:50 AM
Afro Thunder*

I don't like Winny as a player as the next guy but some of these comments are just cruel.

Afro Thunder* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 11:51 AM
Fenix Rises 2026
Alfie forever!

Quote:
Im not exactly sure what your trying to say here, but I think your trying to say I took this from someone else and isnt coming from me. I made these threads trying to get rid of Winchester, I have not liked him for a long time:

Last year:
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=838980
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=828293

Two years ago:
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=693085
Just stop talking already.

Fenix Rises 2026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 12:14 PM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

vCash: 256
This blows. I like Winchester, great fourth liner.

Do Make Say Think is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 12:38 PM
Fenix Rises 2026
Alfie forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Guy View Post
This blows. I like Winchester, great fourth liner.
Agreed. I always see a tiny bit of Alfie in his game. He can slow the game down and control things. As others have mentioned, he's got some shortcomings in his finish, but I think he could find his niche as a role guy.

Fenix Rises 2026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 03:37 PM
trentmccleary

Quote:
He wins face-offs, can be used as a PK'er and because of his board work & cycling... his lines tend to be spent in the opposing teams zone grinding down their defenses down low. That's exactly what you what your 4th line to do.

Quote:

Filatov Spezza Butler
Foligno Regin Condra
Greening Smith Neil

We dont need Winchester.
Zibanejad was a 3rd line centre in the SEL last season. What do you think he will have learned or how do you think he would have progressed over the summer to all of a sudden be an NHL 2nd line centre?

DaCosta & Petersson? ... Offensive prospects won't be wasted on the 4th line or press box.

Did you ever watch Hennessey, Kaigorodov, Hamel, etc playing on our 4th lines? ... 3 of them were much better offensive players at lower levels than Winchester. They were also terribly useless 4th liners. You don't like watching Winchester cycle the puck 200 feet from our net? ... How much more would you like watching soft offensive players refuse to forecheck to recover dump ins and getting blown past in the neutral zone?

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 04:08 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastSensFan View Post
I would say that any one of Z. Smith, Konopka, Greening or JOB could replace Winchester at centre & Condra could replace him on RW. While I agree that he is great along the boards & pinning teams in their own end, I think we have guys who can do that almost as well while putting more points on the board. I also think that both Konopka & Z. Smith are better at faceoffs then Winchester & much tougher. I do agree though that he is a cheap & decent 13th forward but so is Z. Smith or Konopka.

Winchester is in his last yr of his contract, it will be interesting to see if he gets resigned, my guess at the moment is that it's quite likely he could be traded at the deadline, if they can find a team who might want to trade for him or they will just let him walk. There are just too many prospects with greater potential coming in this organization that will take his spot unless he can find that offensive playmaking ability that he supposedly had in college. He needs to finish & put up more points to stay otherwise I think he is gone one way or another.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 04:38 PM
Micklebot

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
I would say that any one of Z. Smith, Konopka, Greening or JOB could replace Winchester at centre & Condra could replace him on RW. While I agree that he is great along the boards & pinning teams in their own end, I think we have guys who can do that almost as well while putting more points on the board. I also think that both Konopka & Z. Smith are better at faceoffs then Winchester & much tougher. I do agree though that he is a cheap & decent 13th forward but so is Z. Smith or Konopka.

Winchester is in his last yr of his contract, it will be interesting to see if he gets resigned, my guess at the moment is that it's quite likely he could be traded at the deadline, if they can find a team who might want to trade for him or they will just let him walk. There are just too many prospects with greater potential coming in this organization that will take his spot unless he can find that offensive playmaking ability that he supposedly had in college. He needs to finish & put up more points to stay otherwise I think he is gone one way or another.
Winchester's career avg is better than either smith or Konopka's career best years as far as point production goes, while Condra and Greening have yet to prove they are full time NHL'ers.

Yes we have guys that will likely be better in the future, he is here now. His point production, 44pts in 201 gms for .2 points per game, is actually not that bad for a fourth liner/13th forward, not great, but not bad.

Micklebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 05:25 PM
Greeningfan14

Hope he can recover
Never good to wish harm to someone

Greeningfan14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 05:32 PM
Countdown0
Painfully Honest

How do I show up back on the Sens part of the boards, and find people hating on our own players. Winnie goes down and some people want him to stay that way. Da Costa being burned even though he's only played two NHL games...

Guys, I just physically face pamed while writing that ^
Its sad, really. These are our guys, on our team. We should all be hoping that Winnie recovers with no permanent damage done, and should have faith that DC (Da Costa) can shape up into a good top 6 palyer. At the very least, his presence and skill set forces Zibanejad to bet better in order to get a spot on the team.

Less hate guys, come on! This is our team. You wanna hate on our guys, head over to the leafs and habs boards!

Countdown0 is offline   Reply With Quote