HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

The Brandon Saad Thread

Old
03-31-2012, 10:58 AM
Kaner Coffee
Anna for Hart Trophy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
if Sarnia comes back and knocks out Saginaw, he can directly jump to the Hawks for the playoffs if he wants to.
If he wants to? Don't you mean if the Blackhawks want him to? Don't get me wrong, I think he's a great prospect and has to bright future in the NHL, but the jump from the OHL to the NHL is really big. Also, take into consideration that it would be the NHL playoffs, and that because of his role as a top-6 forward, he would see a lot of top defensive pairings from NHL playoff teams. How about next year...

Kaner Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 11:06 AM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaner Coffee View Post
If he wants to? Don't you mean if the Blackhawks want him to? Don't get me wrong, I think he's a great prospect and has to bright future in the NHL, but the jump from the OHL to the NHL is really big. Also, take into consideration that it would be the NHL playoffs, and that because of his role as a top-6 forward, he would see a lot of top defensive pairings from NHL playoff teams. How about next year...
if he wants to refers to him actually wanting to jump if the Hawks did want him. some players do get fatigued or burned out, so if the Hawks want him to come it would still be his choice.....though the obvious choice would be yes.

he likely wouldnt be in our top 6 right away, but I dont know with the way Q changes lines so dang much..

AmericanDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 11:54 AM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

12 points (6G+6A) in 5 games in first round vs Sarnia. That bests the combined point totals of Yakupov and Galchenyuk who had 5 and 4 points respectively. #hesonfire

03-31-2012, 01:39 PM
EbonyRaptor

Quote:
if he wants to refers to him actually wanting to jump if the Hawks did want him. some players do get fatigued or burned out, so if the Hawks want him to come it would still be his choice.....though the obvious choice would be yes.

he likely wouldnt be in our top 6 right away, but I dont know with the way Q changes lines so dang much..
I disagree. Although Q is known for his line juggling, he usually doesn't change the players who dress if things are going well. I doubt Saad would get into the lineup unless there were an injury or the Hawks were playing poorly - and if they're playing poorly I wouldn't want to throw Saad in there like he's some kind of saviour. That would put undue pressure on a kid.

If Saginaw had missed the playoffs and Saad had been here for a week or more and gotten into 5 or 6 games before the playoffs started - then OK, but that didn't happen so the timing just didn't work out.

The best possible thing for Saad is that he leads his team and does very well in the OHL playoffs, then parlays that and comes to training camp with a lot of confidence and does well. That would be the best case transition for him from Jrs to NHL.

EbonyRaptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 02:06 PM
hawksfan50

BUT--why do OTHER teams insert late additions (OK most are fro the NCAA so maybe 20 or older if left after soph yer or Jr. year in college) --STILL SAAD did make the Hawks out of pre-season but was sent back after a few games as that was felt best for him-STILL he almost made in then-and NOW hass "developed" (nobody canargue it) to the point he dominates in the OHL and if he isn't "ready" nobody from Jrs ever wILL be readier than this...I think you have to watch to see just how good he is in dominating now --he just looks like he can help an NHL tean RIGHT NOW - I mean if ANDREW SHAW could "make it' -SAAD who is bigger and with much more talent but this year also showing desire and leadership as captain of his team -how canhe NOT add a lot to the Hawks lineup? It is not ass if their PP couldn't use someone to pot in goals --what you would still stick with kANE after his horrible (JUST 20 goals-just 3 PP goals?) --come on....

FURTHER SAAD also is good on the PK --Hawks could also use another good PK forward...

PUT IT THIS WAY: SAAD or BRUNETTE? I think SAAD adds "MORE" thn the SLOW geezer vet...

PUT IT ANOTHER WAY: Last year ANDREW SHAW was TERRFIC in OWNE SOUND'S playoff march to the MEM CUP--it got himdrafted in round 5 ythe Hawks -HE is already a regular on the 3rd line NOW ....WHY can't SAAD add to a top 2 line LW spot and give MORE than an aging slow Brunette?

The trouble is--he is leading saginaw over Sarnia--i doubt Sarnia comes back to win the series..THUS questions of SAAD joining the Hawks willbe delayed at least 1 more series...BUT if he continues to shine like this much domnatiion ,maybe Saginaw wins their next series too...THUS the Hawks will just have to wait...AND if they go all the way to the mEM cUP (not saying they will ,but IF)--then the Hawks could be out of the playoffs by then (Late MAY--runs MAY 18-27)...

SO do not count on a SAAD insertion--he my not e available for a long time yet. BUT once he is and IF the Hawks are still in it-THEN you play your best lineup....I just do not think Brunette adds more than Saad can right NOW...

hawksfan50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 06:02 PM
islandermaniac

i was at last night's game...he was a man among boys. one of my favourite parts of the game was seeing he and yakupov going into the corner, and saad easily winning the puck. also, he seems to me to be a beautiful skater when you factor in his size. how on earth did he slip to 43rd in last year's draft? hawks fans should be very happy to have this kid.

islandermaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 08:40 AM
krazyhawk

Send a message via MSN to krazyhawk
Quote:
Originally Posted by islandermaniac View Post
i was at last night's game...he was a man among boys. one of my favourite parts of the game was seeing he and yakupov going into the corner, and saad easily winning the puck. also, he seems to me to be a beautiful skater when you factor in his size. how on earth did he slip to 43rd in last year's draft? hawks fans should be very happy to have this kid.
Believe me we are thrilled about the pick and we still ask the same question,how did so many scouts and GMs miss this one.Even the Hawks passed on him 3x before taking him with their 2nd pick in the 2nd rd.

Hard to believe all those people mistook a bad groin for a sign of poor work ethic and no heart,but they did.So to the 29gms who missed out,thank you for being fooled and allowing the Hawks to take a top 10 talent at #43.

krazyhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 09:05 AM
oilsands
dirty oil, comin 4 u

Saad is impressive, but he is an overager

Guy put up some mean stats in the OHL this year and OHL playoffs. But I wouldn't get too excited by it, look at all the guys who were drafted and went back to junior, to light it up, but never turned out that well in the NHL (Schremp, it is early, but... Kadri).

Observe Oilers 4th 2011 draft pick, Tobias Rieder:

Kitchener Rangers: 60GP 42G 42A 84P Regular Season
Kitchener Rangers: 5GP 7G 6A 13P OHL Playoffs

Can someone who has seen both play tell me Saad is head-and-shoulders ahead of Rieder in hype, yet the stats are the similar?

oilsands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 10:11 AM
Torts
Dont Doubt the Trout

at times he looks and plays like the best player in the ohl

should be a candidate to win ohl mvp

great future ahead for this kid, glad to see a kid slip in the draft and take some flak from people about his attitude and other issues bounce back and play very well

Torts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 11:53 AM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsands View Post
Guy put up some mean stats in the OHL this year and OHL playoffs. But I wouldn't get too excited by it, look at all the guys who were drafted and went back to junior, to light it up, but never turned out that well in the NHL (Schremp, it is early, but... Kadri).

Observe Oilers 4th 2011 draft pick, Tobias Rieder:

Kitchener Rangers: 60GP 42G 42A 84P Regular Season
Kitchener Rangers: 5GP 7G 6A 13P OHL Playoffs

Can someone who has seen both play tell me Saad is head-and-shoulders ahead of Rieder in hype, yet the stats are the similar?
how is he an overager?

this is his second year in the OHL...an overager is in their 4th to 5th season of CHL hockey.

Kadri didnt put up stats like this until his 4th SEASON...and his ppg isnt near Saad's.

and with Schremp...oh wait 4th SEASON again.. not sure why people arent understanding this. those guys havent put up the numbers that Saad has this early on.

and for Rieder, again you need to look at his teammates... how many teammates does Rieder have in the top 20 in playoff scoring? how many teammates does Saad have in the top 20 in scoring?? big difference....Saad has done this primarily as a one man show, Rieder has plenty more top performers with him.

Old
04-01-2012, 02:05 PM
oilsands
dirty oil, comin 4 u

Quote:
how is he an overager?

this is his second year in the OHL...an overager is in their 4th to 5th season of CHL hockey.

Kadri didnt put up stats like this until his 4th SEASON...and his ppg isnt near Saad's.

and with Schremp...oh wait 4th SEASON again.. not sure why people arent understanding this. those guys havent put up the numbers that Saad has this early on.

and for Rieder, again you need to look at his teammates... how many teammates does Rieder have in the top 20 in playoff scoring? how many teammates does Saad have in the top 20 in scoring?? big difference....Saad has done this primarily as a one man show, Rieder has plenty more top performers with him.
Fair enough, thanks, that was what I was looking for. It's all about the context, as you say.

oilsands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 02:35 PM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
how is he an overager?

Technically, that isn't true. CHL teams are allowed 3 overagers (I think this is the rule, correct me if I'm wrong), players who are of 20-years old.

So even if he was in his first OHL season, if he's eligible for the AHL because he meets the age requirement for CHL players, he would be overager.

Thats how I understand it

Circulartheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 02:38 PM
leafhky88

Quote:
how is he an overager?

Some people (including myself) go more on age than OHL seasons of experience. For example, Charlie Coyle has incredible statistics in the QMJHL, but my comparison would be against other players who are 92 birthdays, or in prior years, 19 year olds. In the case of say Kadri, who is also an October birthday, his 4th season and Saad's second season occurred at the same age, just Saad played 2 years in the States before joining the OHL.

For me, Saad's comparisons should be against other 92 birthdays, not 94 birthdays. Nonetheless, it would be difficult to say he has not exceeded most expectations this year.

As for say, Kadri's PPG at the same age as Saad their paces over a full season would be:

Kadri
18 year old - 94 points
Playoffs: 14 games 21 points
19 year old - 112 points
Playoffs: 12 games 27 points

Saad:
18 year old - 63 points
Playoffs: 12 games 12 points
19 year old - 117 points
Playoffs: 6 games 12 points

Last edited by leafhky88: 04-01-2012 at 02:45 PM.
leafhky88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 02:47 PM
Judrix
Teuvo is Kane's son

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmarketmob View Post
Some people (including myself) go more on age than OHL seasons of experience. For example, Charlie Coyle has incredible statistics in the QMJHL, but my comparison would be against other players who are 92 birthdays, or in prior years, 19 year olds. In the case of say Kadri, who is also an October birthday, his 4th season and Saad's second season occurred at the same age, just Saad played 2 years in the States before joining the OHL.

For me, Saad's comparisons should be against other 92 birthdays, not 94 birthdays. Nonetheless, it would be difficult to say he has not exceeded most expectations this year.

As for say, Kadri's PPG at the same age as Saad their paces over a full season would be:

Kadri
18 year old - 94 points
19 year old - 112 points

Saad:
18 year old - 63 points
19 year old - 117 points
it's quite obvious that Saad's previous season was due to his nagging groin injury...not supposed lack of effort or w/e people were saying. I think it's safe to throw that season out.

Judrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 04:18 PM
leafhky88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judrix View Post
it's quite obvious that Saad's previous season was due to his nagging groin injury...not supposed lack of effort or w/e people were saying. I think it's safe to throw that season out.
I would tend to agree. My statement was more that I would not compare his second year of OHL to other player's second years (when they are 17). He should be compared to other 92's or 19 year olds be it their first or 4th year. That is the truest comparison in my mind, and he looks to be having a great year regardless.

leafhky88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 04:28 PM
bruinsfan46

Quote:
how is he an overager?

Saad's a '92, he's not an overager, '91s are overagers this year but he's certainly not young, comparing Kadri's fourth season to Saad's second is plenty relevant because they're both 19 year old seasons.

Saad is great but you're going a little overboard, he's far from alone in Saginaw and he is not a one man show. And the fourth to second season thing is irrelevant because Saad played NDTP instead of coming to the OHL at 16 or 17.

Last edited by bruinsfan46: 04-01-2012 at 04:56 PM.
bruinsfan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 04:33 PM
Erza Scarlet
following the mantle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judrix View Post
Kadri was injured in his draft year which affected his points per game average afterwards.

Erza Scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 09:57 PM
DuklaNation

Comparing Rieder to Saad??? Saad is 6'2, 210 with speed. Enough said.

DuklaNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 12:24 AM
leafsfan1990

The Sting were terrible in their own zone, Saad could do whatever he wanted they couldn't get the puck from him. Everytime he had the puck in the Sting zone I thought it was going in the back of the net.

leafsfan1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 03:42 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by danccchan View Post
Technically, that isn't true. CHL teams are allowed 3 overagers (I think this is the rule, correct me if I'm wrong), players who are of 20-years old.

So even if he was in his first OHL season, if he's eligible for the AHL because he meets the age requirement for CHL players, he would be overager.

Thats how I understand it
he wasnt eligible for the AHL...he was 18-19 years old this season.

and when I here overager, I surely dont think of 18-19 year old kids as that..

Old
04-02-2012, 03:44 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmarketmob View Post

Kadri
18 year old - 94 points
19 year old - 112 points

Saad:
18 year old - 63 points
19 year old - 117 points
age is misleading. those players had more years of understanding the league, their teammates, the schedule etc...

I go by years in the league as a fair barometer of how a player is doing, especially American kids that come in from far less games played and less competition.

what Saad has done is more impressive then those you listed considering he is in his second OHL season.

Old
04-02-2012, 03:50 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
he wasnt eligible for the AHL...he was 18-19 years old this season.

and when I here overager, I surely dont think of 18-19 year old kids as that..
It seems to be a common misconception on this board.

Many Hawk fans reffer to Beach's final Junior season as an overage year, when it was his 19-year-old campaign.

An overager is not someone in their last OHL season prior to being eligible to turn Pro. An overager is a player playing in the OHL, despite meeting the age requirements of a Pro league (AHL).

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 05:24 PM
RossyYoungblood
Director of Scouting

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfan46 View Post
Saad is great but you're going a little overboard, he's far from alone in Saginaw and he is not a one man show. .
Yes he was in the first round series. He's got Shalla and Fine to play with and occassionally Trocheck plays with him but he's the motor that drives that team and IS A ONE MAN RECKING BALL in the OHL right now.

RossyYoungblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 05:42 PM
Hawkaholic

Comparing Kadri to Saad?

First, Saad plays a complete game, and is a lot bigger than Kadri.

Secondly, Kadri had a lot more talent surrounding him than Saad does in Saginaw.

Hawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 10:45 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfan46 View Post
Saad's a '92, he's not an overager, '91s are overagers this year but he's certainly not young, comparing Kadri's fourth season to Saad's second is plenty relevant because they're both 19 year old seasons.

Saad is great but you're going a little overboard, he's far from alone in Saginaw and he is not a one man show. And the fourth to second season thing is irrelevant because Saad played NDTP instead of coming to the OHL at 16 or 17.
you couldnt be more wrong if you tried.

Saad was a 1 man show in the first round, anyone who watched those games (I saw every single one of them) would attest to this.

I am not calling him the best player in the CHL, but my lord give the guy some credit for carrying his team past Sarnia..Saginaw beats Sarnia because of one man only: meet Brandon Saad.