HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Nedved and things that go bump in the night

Closed Thread

Old
08-18-2004, 01:46 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

vCash: 500
Nedved and things that go bump in the night

I know it is just me---but am I am getting tired of all the Nedved is about to sign rumours that pop up like clock work every two weeks.....

I know we are all gossip mongors--I am usually the head gossip--but the song and dance it getting old and it is getting old real quick. Only teams with power and deep check books are giving out multi-year multi-million year deals. Toronto knows full well that whatever CBA comes down the pike--they will have their ***** covered when it comes to whatever the CBA looks like at the end of the day. The Oilers are not the Toronto Maple Leafs(I usually call them the laughs--but I am trying to be serious) and do not have the finacial resouces to protect themselves from signing a big money contract that Nedvd will require---if there is a salery cap without shared revenue.

Every two weeks someone post or a reporter reports "Nedved signed in 72 hours" 72 hours and nothing.

Question----How many UFA have signed for above 3million a year in the off season so far? how many are still out there......

Just tired of all the Nedved talk--but that is just me

Old
08-18-2004, 01:57 PM
Digger12

What would you suggest we talk about, then?

It's August, man...

And I don't know if you've noticed or not, but I don't see any other team besides the Oilers exactly banging down the door for Nedved's services. Even the Kings haven't done more than tirekick, Nedved's agent can spin it how he wants.

Small market teams can still hand out a healthy sized contract, they just have a much smaller margin for error than the Porky Pigs of the NHL do.

Old
08-18-2004, 02:37 PM
igor*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
... I don't know if you've noticed or not, but I don't see any other team besides the Oilers exactly banging down the door for Nedved's services. Even the Kings haven't done more than tirekick, Nedved's agent can spin it how he wants.
Yup, there doesn't seem to be any real need to rush this decision from an Oiler POV. From the sounds of Brownlee lately ... the Oilers and Nedved both seem very interested though.

Old
08-18-2004, 03:10 PM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by igor
Yup, there doesn't seem to be any real need to rush this decision from an Oiler POV. From the sounds of Brownlee lately ... the Oilers and Nedved both seem very interested though.
Which kinda begs the question of why NEDVED is showing such interest...I can justify the Oilers' interest simply by their history of previous behaviour, but why isn't Nedved playing it quiet and simply waiting a while? There may not be much interest now by anyone other than the Oilers, but could change in a hurry depending on how the NHL world plays out in the coming months. Or maybe it's just as simple as him wanting to cash in now before any potential 'cost certainty' rears its conforming head?

Old
08-18-2004, 03:43 PM
copperandblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark
Only teams with power and deep check books are giving out multi-year multi-million year deals. Toronto knows full well that whatever CBA comes down the pike--they will have their ***** covered when it comes to whatever the CBA looks like at the end of the day. The Oilers are not the Toronto Maple Leafs(I usually call them the laughs--but I am trying to be serious) and do not have the finacial resouces to protect themselves from signing a big money contract that Nedvd will require---if there is a salery cap without shared revenue.
I don't think there has ever been a problem with small market teams having the ability to sign UFA's. The problem lies with the price they were commanding as a result of what teams like the Leafs were offering.

This year we are seeing Phoenix, as an example, go somewhat nutty on the UFA market and yet their payroll isn't climbing by leaps and bounds because the big spenders can't take the risk of getting involved and therefore driving up the price. So although Phoenix is signing guys, they do it in a manner where their overall payroll still supports it.

In the case of Edmonton and a potential salary cap, similar to Phoenix their starting point is low enough and their spending is reasonable enough where even if they do sign a 3 mil player over and above their current roster they will still be reasonable enough overall to fit into the new economic landscape. Same a before, their signing a player has more to do with their own ability to afford it that anything outside of the org.

Old
08-18-2004, 05:35 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

if we didn't talk about Nedved, we would have to talk about the CBA all summer, and that gets boring quick.

Lets hope we sign him soon and all the Nedved talk will be over.

Last edited by SeriousBusiness: 08-18-2004 at 09:20 PM.
Old
08-19-2004, 06:01 AM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

You all missed my point

My complaint was about the posts--NEDVED TO SIGN IN 12/24/48/72hours that someone posts every two weeks--

Lets talk about Nedved--but no more===my buddy told me that he will be signed in 72 hours posts--the media is gone goofy with bordom

Closed Thread