HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mayweather VS Ortiz

Old
09-18-2011, 01:14 PM
Oi'll say!

vCash: 500
Boxing is the poster child for everything that's wrong with sports. Just a half step ahead of WWE Wrestling in terms of being a legit sport when you consider how they pad guys' stats, judge and throw fights.

Tough to pay to watch that **** when you know there's a 50% chance that the thing turns into a hoax at the end.

Oi'll say! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 01:17 PM
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade

I watched the end of that fight and as much as Mayweather is an ass for punching Ortiz like that, Ortiz kinda let himself get into that situation. He made Mayweather angry with a headbutt, already hugged Mayweather on the ropes afterwards, and then went for another hug when they came back together...although there is I think some legitimate questions about whether things were restarted for sure, but the whole "protect yourselves at all times" mantra comes to mind here.

CanadianCommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 01:20 PM
jcorb58

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejams View Post
I think Mayweather did what was right.

Ortiz headbutt Floyd and said "Sorry I just threw my head into your chin."

The ref then deducts a point when he should of DQed Ortiz, then says "LET'S GO!" and restarts the fight, Ortiz tries to make out with Mayweather and Mayweather punched his stupid face. It was legal, cheap, but I would of done the same.

EDIT: And anyone giving Mayweather hell for "dodging" Manny should note that he said on many many occasions he would fight if Manny agreed to olympic drug testing. Manny said he will not because he "doesn't like needles." If he was clean he would take the tests and fight.
Manny would give him the fight of his life.

jcorb58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 02:21 PM
Philly85
Moody'

Floyd always reminds us everytime he fights how tremendous an athlete he is. He is naturally gifted and combines those talents with a swagger, belief and work ethic that is second to none.

However, he has never fought anyone, anything remotely close to the beast that is Manny Pacquiao. Manny, unlike Floyd, has never ducked a single opponent in his entire career. Sure he's not undefeated, but he's consistently moved up in weight and pretty much destroyed all comers. A testament to Pacquiao is the fact he's taking a 3rd fight with Marquez for Christ's sake. He wants to entertain the fans and is a true prize fighter in every sense of the meaning.

I used to be skeptical if Manny could ever defeat Floyd if the two met... Floyd's size and skill I thought would be too overwhelming for Manny. But after watching Manny in the last 2 years especially, I'm convinced he would certainly give Mayweather a run for his money, no pun intended.

Its been repeated ad nauseum, beaten to death... But Pacquiao/Mayweather has to happen. Will be one of the biggest sporting events in recent history.

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 02:28 PM
Bryanbryoil
Bozo Buddies

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post
Accidentally my ass. He lunged.
Agreed, pretty obvious by the replay that he lunged his head forward trying to headbutt him.

09-19-2011, 09:58 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 50
Okay I'll post my thoughts first.

While I can see how it was a legal move by Mayweather who in their right mind does that and expects to be respected? The worse thing is Mayweather says we can have a rematch. We'll sure why not. Get another 40mil for a guy that you know you will beat.

This is just downright awful for boxing. Not like they have room for this in the first place.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 10:18 AM
AlanHUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post
Manny not agreeing to a piss test might be the best thing for the haters who keep Floyd "money".

I honestly don't see that fight ending well for Pacquaio.
He agreed to urine tests, then Mayweather wanted blood tests.

Pacquaio agreed to that, then Mayweather wanted multiple blood tests.

Pacquaio agreed to them on set dates, then Mayweather decided that wasn't good enough, plain and simple Mayweather is a coward.

AlanHUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 09:34 PM
Hockey Buddha
Darnell Nurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Okay I'll post my thoughts first.

While I can see how it was a legal move by Mayweather who in their right mind does that and expects to be respected? The worse thing is Mayweather says we can have a rematch. We'll sure why not. Get another 40mil for a guy that you know you will beat.

This is just downright awful for boxing. Not like they have room for this in the first place.
Agreed. While Mayweather obviously has power and speed to burn, he demonstrated zero class with his behaviour either before, during or after the bout. Admittedly, the Ortiz headbutt was cheap, but he did at least try to apologize for it. Mayweather's victory was a complete disgrace, demonstrating no respect for his opponent or the sport of boxing.

If only Lowetide was 50 years younger...

Hockey Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 10:06 PM
bucktown

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHUK View Post

Pacquaio agreed to them on set dates, then Mayweather decided that wasn't good enough, plain and simple Mayweather is a coward.

could you point me to some links pertaining to this info? i have some friends i was trying to convince of this when they were accusing manny of doping...

bucktown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 11:56 PM
Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucktown View Post
could you point me to some links pertaining to this info? i have some friends i was trying to convince of this when they were accusing manny of doping...
With the amount of money involved, you can safely assume that most if not all the top guys are doping in some way.

Not just in boxing. Every professional sport. Including all the ones that start with an "N" in North America...

Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 12:00 AM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHUK View Post

Mayweather wanted random drug tests, which Manny refused. Only recently did he say he would agree to it if it was done by the Olympic commision and not an American agency. Manny refused dope testing multiple times before agreeing to it. Why would you do that if that's the match you want?

Don't get me wrong, Mayweather's being a bit of a ***** about that too. He knows Manny is the only legitimate threat to his perfect record and that's why he's doing it.

Personally, I think Floyd is better than Manny and always has been. After all this noise, it's only a matter of time for the purse to get big enough to convince Floyd to take the fight. We'll see as much.

SK13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 12:58 AM
canovin
Klefbom's charm

Mayweather can be b**** and play hard ball sometime but he's right about a lot of stuff.

canovin is offline   Reply With Quote