HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers' core ready to contend for Cup

Old
09-13-2011, 12:39 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
Rangers' core ready to contend for Cup

Craig Custance. ESPN.com Insider spoke to the Rangers brass

Love the quote by Jim Schoenfeld in the preview part of the article. Villagers protecting their turf against the mercenaries.

Custance also spoke with Dean Lombardi about Brad Richards

Lombardi was a scout for Philly in 2004 when TB beat Philly in the east finals. He wanted to sign Richards this summer after acquiring Mike Richards.

Quote:
"He's the one who beat us, and I never forgot that," Lombardi said. "The biggest compliment you can give a guy is when you're watching him play your team, it's, 'Man, I hate this guy. He's so fricking good. He's killing us.'"
Custance also spoke to Jeff Gorton

Quote:
The Rangers' Stanley Cup window could end up extending longer than that of other contenders. Rangers assistant GM Jeff Gorton doesn't get enough credit for helping assemble the Stanley Cup-winning talent in Boston, including the drafting of Milan Lucic, Brad Marchand, David Krejci and Phil Kessel. Since joining the Rangers in 2007, he's helped bring in another wave of young talent including Stepan and prospects Chris Kreider, Dylan McIlrath and J.T. Miller.

"If you're drafting well and you keep bringing in blue-chip players, I believe you can always jump back and forth between your windows," Gorton said. "I like to think that a lot of our young players are blossoming into pretty good players. They're the kind of guys you can win with."
http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/blog?...aig&id=6964877

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 01:05 PM
skroob**

Ready or not, good enough or not, this is the team will be going to war with the next few seasons.

Richards. Garborik. Callahan. Dubinsky. Staal. Lundquist.

Most of the top roster spots are locked in for years to come. We will win with these guys, or we wont. No major changes for the next few seasons will be coming our way, IMO.

We made our bet, now here come the cards...

skroob** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 01:12 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by skroob View Post
Ready or not, good enough or not, this is the team will be going to war with the next few seasons.

Most of the top roster spots are locked in for years to come. We will win with these guys, or we wont. No major changes for the next few seasons will be coming our way, IMO.

I wouldn't say that. If the Ranger's are close, there's no way they don't attempt to make a big deadline acquisition that would put them over the top.

DrSutton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 01:23 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by skroob View Post

Thats a bizarre thing to say, and a notion thats all too common on these boards. This team is by no means set - that goes for now and going forward.

In fact, if we're a top 4 seed in the conference headed into the trade deadline, I think its very likely you see a major change as soon as then - involving trading our glut of prospects for a high scoring left wing.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 01:28 PM
MSG the place to be*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Thats a bizarre thing to say, and a notion thats all too common on these boards. This team is by no means set - that goes for now and going forward.

In fact, if we're a top 4 seed in the conference headed into the trade deadline, I think its very likely you see a major change as soon as then - involving trading our glut of prospects for a high scoring left wing.
O god I hope not. We may not be perfect in all areas but we also shouldn't have any holes. No need to make a blockbuster trade at the deadline when its a crapshoot if that player will even contribute or how much of a run the team will make. How did Penner work out for the Kings?

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 01:30 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG the place to be View Post
O god I hope not. We may not be perfect in all areas but we also shouldn't have any holes. No need to make a blockbuster trade at the deadline when its a crapshoot if that player will even contribute or how much of a run the team will make. How did Penner work out for the Kings?
How did Matteau work out for us?

Old
09-13-2011, 01:31 PM
NYRKING30

this year we are very cup worthy but a lot of things have to happen like always. i really see us taking off next year and beyond. we do have more than good chance this year especially with the balance of power shifting in our own division. gonna be a great season.

P.s. if we dont atleast get into the 2nd round this season than i would be a little worried. its no more lets get in and see what happens. this team shouldnt be fighting for 7 and 8th seed with the final 5 games this year. i just hope we stay healthy and focused. LETS GO RANGERS

NYRKING30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 02:00 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG the place to be View Post
Of course this team has holes. Its ridiculous to say otherwise.

Just because we have bodies ready to fill those holes doesnt make them any less of a question mark.

This team, even with Richards lacks firepower up front - especially at left wing. Wouldnt be surprised at all if they made a trade to address that if the team truly contends through February.

They also lack a puck moving defenseman. Can Erixon or Del Zotto be that? Maybe. Fact of the matter is Del Zotto looked terrible last season and Erixon has never played an NHL game.

I just urge people to keep an open mind, not fall in love with too many prospects, and understand that changes are going to happen. Its inevitable.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 02:21 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

It depends on who the deadline acquisition is.

If it's like Parise.........well yeah.

Oh my. The thought of Parise with Richards and Gaborik. Speechless.

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 02:56 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post

About a 0.0% chance of Parise being a deadline acquisition for this team

Old
09-13-2011, 03:03 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSutton View Post
I know, but it's sure fun to fantasize.

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 03:09 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Quote:
I know, but it's sure fun to fantasize.
Of course. Would be a great addition for sure.

Old
09-13-2011, 03:14 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Not sure how you can say that. I'm not putting the odds very high...but certainly greater than 0.0%.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 03:15 PM
broadwayblue

And I'm not sure why anyone would think our team is set. If Wolski doesn't pan out we definitely need another top 6 winger. And even if he does we can always use more scoring depth.

Old
09-13-2011, 03:21 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Not sure how you can say that. I'm not putting the odds very high...but certainly greater than 0.0%.
The Devils wouldn't trade us Parise if their franchise depended on it. Just never gonna happen.

Old
09-13-2011, 03:22 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Part of the beauty of the NHL right now is that every team has holes. Vancouver and Detroit were the two best regular season teams last year and both got exposed in the playoffs. Right now there are 8-10 teams I coluld see winning the Stanley Cup this year. And the Rangers are definitely one of them.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 03:29 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
The Devils wouldn't trade us Parise if their franchise depended on it. Just never gonna happen.
Sorry, guess I missed the part where we were talking about trading for him. Ah, yes, trade deadline acquisition. Yeah, can't see that happening. We'd have to severely overpay for them to deal him to us as opposed to out of the division or preferably conference. Guess I was thinking about next summer and how nice it would be to add him as a UFA...assuming he makes it that far.

Old
09-13-2011, 03:39 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
Part of the beauty of the NHL right now is that every team has holes. Vancouver and Detroit were the two best regular season teams last year and both got exposed in the playoffs. Right now there are 8-10 teams I coluld see winning the Stanley Cup this year. And the Rangers are definitely one of them.
Yeah I honestly didn't see Boston winning the cup last year. Look at that team and you go "damn they really lack top end offense" but they managed to do it.

Every team has holes, it's too hard to build this perfect team under a salary cap

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 03:42 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Quote:
Sorry, guess I missed the part where we were talking about trading for him. Ah, yes, trade deadline acquisition. Yeah, can't see that happening. We'd have to severely overpay for them to deal him to us as opposed to out of the division or preferably conference. Guess I was thinking about next summer and how nice it would be to add him as a UFA...assuming he makes it that far.
Yeah, I mean my personal opinion is that we probably won't have a shot at him in FA, but theres always a chance through that avenue.

Old
09-13-2011, 03:44 PM
Jackpot
Registered Abuser

Can I have some koolaid?

Jackpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 03:46 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackpot View Post
Can I have some koolaid?
Not sure it's that crazy to talk about this group getting close to contending for the cup. Personally I still think we need 1 more year...but then again, that's why they play the games.

Old
09-13-2011, 04:53 PM
frozenrubber

Quote:
Not sure it's that crazy to talk about this group getting close to contending for the cup. Personally I still think we need 1 more year...but then again, that's why they play the games.
For this season, I really hope for a deeper, solid run into the 2nd round of the playoffs. Like you, I really see the window being next year.

Absolute shame that Kreider is waiting a year, as I would really love a 2nd year Kreider for next year, opposed to a rookie.

Off the books:
Wolski - 3.8 million
Avery - ~1.9
Feds - 1.4
Zucc - 1.75
Christensen - .925
Eminger -.8
Cap Penalty - .5
Chris Drury Buy-out Difference: 2.1

Over 13 million in cap space with the true core of the team locked up.

Hard to not drool thinking of a possible UFA Parise. LW: Parise-Dubinsky-Kreider

frozenrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 06:37 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

You guys are still talking about Parise?

CBA talk. It expires 1 year from this Thursday

Quote:
" As I said, there are always going to be a number of clubs who can't spend to the cap and as the cap keeps going up, that number of clubs grows. It's believed some owners in the league would like to roll back the cap from about 58% of hockey-related revenue to 48-50% and, in exchange, likely eliminate the players having to pay escrow in case their take exceeds their allotted share.

" There is going to be a push by the owners to raise the age of unrestricted free agency by at least a couple of years. "You used to have a player until he was 31," said one GM. "Now you can lose them at 25 or 26. You spend a lot of money developing them and just when they're hitting their prime, you can lose them." That means raising the number of accrued seasons to achieve UFA status from seven to nine.
http://www.torontosun.com/2011/09/12...-cba-landscape

The players receive 57% of the gross. They started the current CBA with 54%. Why would they take 48%-50%? This is not the NFL with their 20 billion in projected revenue. The NHL wants to lower the cap. The NHL is a $3B league.

Group III is 7 accrued seasons(40 NHL games per season) or 27 years old. Not that many players have become group III's with 7 accrued seasons before reaching 27.

Some other things in the article about eliminating the floor,removing the option of getting a player off the cap by assigning him to the AHL and limiting how many times a player can file for arbitration were also mentioned.

Anything else? The floor guarantees teams spend a certain amount. The NFL doesn't have a floor but teams are supposed to spend up to 89.1% of the cap. The NFL players took a cut to 48% but their sport will only add billions in revenue. The NHLPA wants the players on the roster to count against the cap. Maybe any player signed to a 1 way contract making over $1M counts against the cap regardless of where he plays counts against the cap is a solution. NHL arbitration is a joke. The NHL never should have allowed it in their CBA.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 07:16 PM
199520002003*

Quote:

I would trade him for one of those Taco Bell Dorito tacos I heard about right now.

199520002003* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 07:19 PM
199520002003*

Quote:
As a devils fan, if you guys got Parise as a FA and i didn't get my Taco Bell Dorito taco, I would be a very upset little boy.

Hope to see you guys playing us in the ECF!

199520002003* is offline   Reply With Quote