HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Marc Staal (10/5: Out indefinitely, on IR)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-05-2011, 09:45 AM
  #426
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 14,757
vCash: 500
Crap, these reports are bad.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline  
Old
10-05-2011, 09:48 AM
  #427
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 27,287
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
This is why we need to pull the trigger on a trade for an impact top four caliber defenseman now.

No way to know when Staal will return. It could be months, it could be days. No way to know with head injuries. There's no time table.

Plus, he's a physical player that gets knocked around a lot. And that will effect the head/brain.

This is why, you deal a prospect like Thomas now, and get a guy who can fill Staal's role for however long he's needed to fill the role.

Unless, people are satisfied with a let down season.

Expecting the offense to do a complete 180 and be lights out is not realistic. This team will always be strong because of its team defense.

They need to cover their butts now and acquire someone. Which means someone has to go. Kreider will be ready to take Wolski's spot next year, so its not him. Thomas is several years away, it's gotta be him.

Give to get.
How about you just deal a pick now? Keep the good young player who the organization is high on.

I don't see a team willing to move a top-4 d-man right before the season.....

NYR Viper is offline  
Old
10-05-2011, 09:52 AM
  #428
DrSutton*
Given Up
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,093
vCash: 500
I'm surprised that Mara would even want to sign here. He'd never be more than a #6 D-man and when Staal came back he'd be splitting his time between the bottom pairing and the press box, or even Hartford. They also aren't going to offer him a lot of money. I guess beggers can't be choosers but the vibe I'm getting was that if he was fine with a position on the team like that he would have been signed somewhere by now.

DrSutton* is offline  
Old
10-05-2011, 09:54 AM
  #429
Chimp
Registered User
 
Chimp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: In my food garden.
Country: Sweden
Posts: 10,248
vCash: 500
This is nothing to scoff at. Post concussion syndroms can be vicious. It's not like a broken bone healing, the brain is as we all know alot more complicated than that. It doesn't help we don't know much about it either. Players with post concussion syndroms can be out for days, weeks, months or years. Career ending? No one can tell. Needless to say, I'm extremely worried about this. Not to mention, it can affect a player's overall performance on the ice when he gets back. If he gets back.

Out indefinitely. That injury condition is no fun at all. Ask Crosby. One day or week can be great, then all of a sudden you're back at square one. No one can tell, not even yourself. It's very demoralizing and frustrating. There is good reason the league is cracking down on hits to the head, because the hits can look almost harmless, but the injuries can be very serious.

I hope this is a wakeup call to Eric Staal, because he messed his own brother up real good.


Last edited by Chimp: 10-05-2011 at 10:01 AM.
Chimp is online now  
Old
10-05-2011, 09:56 AM
  #430
NikC
Registered User
 
NikC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 3,307
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
This is why we need to pull the trigger on a trade for an impact top four caliber defenseman now.

No way to know when Staal will return. It could be months, it could be days. No way to know with head injuries. There's no time table.

Plus, he's a physical player that gets knocked around a lot. And that will effect the head/brain.

This is why, you deal a prospect like Thomas now, and get a guy who can fill Staal's role for however long he's needed to fill the role.

Unless, people are satisfied with a let down season.

Expecting the offense to do a complete 180 and be lights out is not realistic. This team will always be strong because of its team defense.

They need to cover their butts now and acquire someone. Which means someone has to go. Kreider will be ready to take Wolski's spot next year, so its not him. Thomas is several years away, it's gotta be him.

Give to get.
I agree with this. Staal plays a very physical game and lays on the punishment. How in the world can we afford to rush him in? If anything they need to take EXTRA precautions so that when he returns he can
resume his game without any hitches.

It's because of this I feel he's missing significant time even if this is just a precaution. Sauer is going to be okay. I'm concerned about relying on MDZ and Erixon. It's a big gamble.

There are a lot of players I would like, but I won't speculate. We know reports this offseason were that they were interested in Burns. We need to make a move now for a player that will REPLACE Staal
and contribute when/if he returns. This could be a long drawn out affair, one that could affect this team in the standings if they don't act now.

NikC is offline  
Old
10-05-2011, 09:58 AM
  #431
OverTheCap
Registered User
 
OverTheCap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 9,240
vCash: 500
This is part of the reason why concussions are so scary, they are unpredictable and there is no set time for recovery. Sather is saying Staal could be out for a month, but he could be back before that or return long after that.

If Staal is out for a month, Mara isn't the answer at all. He's even slower than he was when played here, and he has had issues staying healthy the past few seasons. Guess the Rangers are truly in desperation mode now.

Where's the thread that was praising Sather based on the expectations of the season as if we had already won the Cup? That was a jinx. Staal is the most important player on this team next to Lundqvist and if he's out long-term it will be very difficult for us to be one of the top teams in the conference.

OverTheCap is offline  
Old
10-05-2011, 10:00 AM
  #432
SomebodySaveKreider
Registered User
 
SomebodySaveKreider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,488
vCash: 500
This is bad. Marc Staal is the anchor of the defense. The defense isn't nearly as good without him.

SomebodySaveKreider is online now  
Old
10-05-2011, 10:00 AM
  #433
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 22,314
vCash: 500
Awards:
Well, I see me optimism regarding Staal was misplaced.

****, well, let's just hope he can get himself healthy. PCS is a serious condition.

__________________

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline  
Old
10-05-2011, 10:02 AM
  #434
pld459666
Registered User
 
pld459666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 15,234
vCash: 500
.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
This is why we need to pull the trigger on a trade for an impact top four caliber defenseman now.

No way to know when Staal will return. It could be months, it could be days. No way to know with head injuries. There's no time table.

Plus, he's a physical player that gets knocked around a lot. And that will effect the head/brain.

This is why, you deal a prospect like Thomas now, and get a guy who can fill Staal's role for however long he's needed to fill the role.

Unless, people are satisfied with a let down season.

Expecting the offense to do a complete 180 and be lights out is not realistic. This team will always be strong because of its team defense.

They need to cover their butts now and acquire someone. Which means someone has to go. Kreider will be ready to take Wolski's spot next year, so its not him. Thomas is several years away, it's gotta be him.

Give to get.
Agreed.

With the recent waiver activity clears up some good cap space, but I don't think that I would want to part with a Christian Thomas in a package for Gunnarsson. Not the guy I would want the Rangers to target

pld459666 is online now  
Old
10-05-2011, 10:03 AM
  #435
NikC
Registered User
 
NikC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 3,307
vCash: 500
agreed. the only thing is for Staal to be healthy. we need to forget about his return for now. I think the team has been looking at this situation all summer. I wouldn't think this has been a surprise to them.
Something's got to happen fast though. I think the MDZ, Erixon, Eminger solution is dangerous..

NikC is offline  
Old
10-05-2011, 10:03 AM
  #436
Fitzy
Relative to what?
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 19,199
vCash: 50
Our D is bottom 5 without Marc Staal, so yeah I'd have to say go and get someone ASAP.

Unless Erixon, Del Zotto, and McDonagh can somehow turn into a great left side...

Fitzy is offline  
Old
10-05-2011, 10:04 AM
  #437
DrSutton*
Given Up
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,093
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
This is part of the reason why concussions are so scary, they are unpredictable and there is no set time for recovery. Sather is saying Staal could be out for a month, but he could be back before that or return long after that.

If Staal is out for a month, Mara isn't the answer at all. He's even slower than he was when played here, and he has had issues staying healthy the past few seasons. Guess the Rangers are truly in desperation mode now.

Where's the thread that was praising Sather based on the expectations of the season as if we had already won the Cup? That was a jinx. Staal is the most important player on this team next to Lundqvist and if he's out long-term it will be very difficult for us to be one of the top teams in the conference.
Jinx threads on HF Rangers? Nah, couldn't be

Anyways, shouldn't somebody be getting on creating the "Gaborik Countdown to 50" thread? Thats always been successful.

DrSutton* is offline  
Old
10-05-2011, 10:04 AM
  #438
pwoz
Registered User
 
pwoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: NJ
Posts: 2,328
vCash: 500
I hope Eric Staal gets destroyed in open ice (clean of course).

pwoz is offline  
Old
10-05-2011, 10:07 AM
  #439
OverTheCap
Registered User
 
OverTheCap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 9,240
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSutton View Post
Jinx threads on HF Rangers? Nah, couldn't be

Anyways, shouldn't somebody be getting on creating the "Gaborik Countdown to 50" thread? Thats always been successful.
Hahah, I was half joking, but you're right, that "Gaborik Countdown to 50" thread is a failure every time.

No one start a "Countdown to Staal's Return" thread, he'll be out the whole season then.

OverTheCap is offline  
Old
10-05-2011, 10:11 AM
  #440
DrSutton*
Given Up
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,093
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
Hahah, I was half joking, but you're right, that "Gaborik Countdown to 50" thread is a failure every time.

No one start a "Countdown to Staal's Return" thread, he'll be out the whole season then.
Not that it matters, because that "Rangers to win stanley cup!" thread assuredly sabotaged any success we would have had this season.
Funny how all this terrible Staal news comes after that thread...

HF Rangers - Counting Eggs before they hatch since forever

DrSutton* is offline  
Old
10-05-2011, 10:11 AM
  #441
pld459666
Registered User
 
pld459666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 15,234
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSutton View Post
Super, if Thomas is as bad as you say he is, why would any team deal a top 4 defender for him?
Didn't see anyone say Thomas was bad.

He had a poor Traverse City showing, nothing horrible with that.

He's still a legit prospect.

Plus it's going to be Thomas ++ for that top 4 guy

More than enough to get a deal done.

pld459666 is online now  
Old
10-05-2011, 10:14 AM
  #442
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 30,992
vCash: 500
From: @TSNBobMcKenzie
Sent: Oct 5, 2011 11:07a

Bottom line: Staal isn't progressing, has had setback and sounds like he may shut down rehab completely while getting more medical opinions.

sent via Twitter for BlackBerry®
On Twitter: http://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/st...02334680817666


How does Mckenzie know Staal had a setback?

RangerBoy is offline  
Old
10-05-2011, 10:18 AM
  #443
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 22,314
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
From: @TSNBobMcKenzie
Sent: Oct 5, 2011 11:07a

Bottom line: Staal isn't progressing, has had setback and sounds like he may shut down rehab completely while getting more medical opinions.

sent via Twitter for BlackBerry®
On Twitter: http://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/st...02334680817666


How does Mckenzie know Staal had a setback?
He was cleared for contact, skating with the Whale, might make the opener...and now he's not cleared for contact, not skating, might miss a month and go on IR. I don't think it's unreasonable for McKenzie or anyone else to classify that as a setback, without any further knowledge of what's going on.

nyr2k2 is offline  
Old
10-05-2011, 10:18 AM
  #444
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 30,992
vCash: 500
The same lousy media which had no clue Staal was even suffering from headaches. The Rangers and the Staal camp didn't say anything to anyone. No leaks. Without leaks the media are nothing.

RangerBoy is offline  
Old
10-05-2011, 10:19 AM
  #445
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 22,314
vCash: 500
Awards:
Guys, enough. There are plenty of places where you can discuss Christian Thomas without completely derailing the thread.

nyr2k2 is offline  
Old
10-05-2011, 10:21 AM
  #446
Glen Teflon Sather
With an iron fist
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bloomfield, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 4,495
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Screw Mara, with what's left on the scrap heap I'd openly welcome a trade. MDZ getting top 4 minutes isn't a good recipe.

Glen Teflon Sather is offline  
Old
10-05-2011, 10:26 AM
  #447
Jackson Ranger
Registered User
 
Jackson Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 2,480
vCash: 500
It doesn't sound good. Too bad for Marc. Hopefully his head clears and he can comeback to play this year.

Jackson Ranger is offline  
Old
10-05-2011, 10:28 AM
  #448
The Perfect Paradox
On hiatus.
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,459
vCash: 50
Sather says Staal "could be out a month" and people are flipping out and assuming it is very serious.

Am I missing something here or are people just expecting the worst?

The Perfect Paradox is offline  
Old
10-05-2011, 10:29 AM
  #449
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 14,757
vCash: 500
I don't think Mara would solve this issue.

We need a guy who can play 20+ or more minutes.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline  
Old
10-05-2011, 10:30 AM
  #450
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 22,314
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Henrik 30 View Post
Dagger says Staal "could be out a month" and people are flipping out and assuming it is very serious.

Am I missing something here or are people just expecting the worst?
Well, concussions and PCS are very difficult conditions to plan for. If it's severe to the point that he could miss a month, it's very, very possible that it could persist far longer than a month. It's so hard to know how long this will affect him.

nyr2k2 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:11 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.