HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Marc Staal (10/5: Out indefinitely, on IR)

Closed Thread

Old
10-05-2011, 09:45 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

vCash: 500
Crap, these reports are bad.

Old
10-05-2011, 09:48 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
This is why we need to pull the trigger on a trade for an impact top four caliber defenseman now.

No way to know when Staal will return. It could be months, it could be days. No way to know with head injuries. There's no time table.

Plus, he's a physical player that gets knocked around a lot. And that will effect the head/brain.

This is why, you deal a prospect like Thomas now, and get a guy who can fill Staal's role for however long he's needed to fill the role.

Unless, people are satisfied with a let down season.

Expecting the offense to do a complete 180 and be lights out is not realistic. This team will always be strong because of its team defense.

They need to cover their butts now and acquire someone. Which means someone has to go. Kreider will be ready to take Wolski's spot next year, so its not him. Thomas is several years away, it's gotta be him.

Give to get.
How about you just deal a pick now? Keep the good young player who the organization is high on.

I don't see a team willing to move a top-4 d-man right before the season.....

Old
10-05-2011, 09:52 AM
DrSutton*
Given Up

I'm surprised that Mara would even want to sign here. He'd never be more than a #6 D-man and when Staal came back he'd be splitting his time between the bottom pairing and the press box, or even Hartford. They also aren't going to offer him a lot of money. I guess beggers can't be choosers but the vibe I'm getting was that if he was fine with a position on the team like that he would have been signed somewhere by now.

Old
10-05-2011, 09:54 AM
Chimp

This is nothing to scoff at. Post concussion syndroms can be vicious. It's not like a broken bone healing, the brain is as we all know alot more complicated than that. It doesn't help we don't know much about it either. Players with post concussion syndroms can be out for days, weeks, months or years. Career ending? No one can tell. Needless to say, I'm extremely worried about this. Not to mention, it can affect a player's overall performance on the ice when he gets back. If he gets back.

Out indefinitely. That injury condition is no fun at all. Ask Crosby. One day or week can be great, then all of a sudden you're back at square one. No one can tell, not even yourself. It's very demoralizing and frustrating. There is good reason the league is cracking down on hits to the head, because the hits can look almost harmless, but the injuries can be very serious.

I hope this is a wakeup call to Eric Staal, because he messed his own brother up real good.

Last edited by Chimp: 10-05-2011 at 10:01 AM.
Old
10-05-2011, 09:56 AM
NikC

Quote:
This is why we need to pull the trigger on a trade for an impact top four caliber defenseman now.

No way to know when Staal will return. It could be months, it could be days. No way to know with head injuries. There's no time table.

Plus, he's a physical player that gets knocked around a lot. And that will effect the head/brain.

This is why, you deal a prospect like Thomas now, and get a guy who can fill Staal's role for however long he's needed to fill the role.

Expecting the offense to do a complete 180 and be lights out is not realistic. This team will always be strong because of its team defense.

They need to cover their butts now and acquire someone. Which means someone has to go. Kreider will be ready to take Wolski's spot next year, so its not him. Thomas is several years away, it's gotta be him.

Give to get.
I agree with this. Staal plays a very physical game and lays on the punishment. How in the world can we afford to rush him in? If anything they need to take EXTRA precautions so that when he returns he can
resume his game without any hitches.

It's because of this I feel he's missing significant time even if this is just a precaution. Sauer is going to be okay. I'm concerned about relying on MDZ and Erixon. It's a big gamble.

There are a lot of players I would like, but I won't speculate. We know reports this offseason were that they were interested in Burns. We need to make a move now for a player that will REPLACE Staal
and contribute when/if he returns. This could be a long drawn out affair, one that could affect this team in the standings if they don't act now.

Old
10-05-2011, 09:58 AM
OverTheCap

This is part of the reason why concussions are so scary, they are unpredictable and there is no set time for recovery. Sather is saying Staal could be out for a month, but he could be back before that or return long after that.

If Staal is out for a month, Mara isn't the answer at all. He's even slower than he was when played here, and he has had issues staying healthy the past few seasons. Guess the Rangers are truly in desperation mode now.

Where's the thread that was praising Sather based on the expectations of the season as if we had already won the Cup? That was a jinx. Staal is the most important player on this team next to Lundqvist and if he's out long-term it will be very difficult for us to be one of the top teams in the conference.

Old
10-05-2011, 10:00 AM
SomebodySaveKreider

This is bad. Marc Staal is the anchor of the defense. The defense isn't nearly as good without him.

Old
10-05-2011, 10:00 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Well, I see me optimism regarding Staal was misplaced.

****, well, let's just hope he can get himself healthy. PCS is a serious condition.

It's just pain.
Old
10-05-2011, 10:02 AM
pld459666

Quote:

Give to get.
Agreed.

With the recent waiver activity clears up some good cap space, but I don't think that I would want to part with a Christian Thomas in a package for Gunnarsson. Not the guy I would want the Rangers to target

Old
10-05-2011, 10:03 AM
NikC

agreed. the only thing is for Staal to be healthy. we need to forget about his return for now. I think the team has been looking at this situation all summer. I wouldn't think this has been a surprise to them.
Something's got to happen fast though. I think the MDZ, Erixon, Eminger solution is dangerous..

Old
10-05-2011, 10:03 AM
Fitzy
Relative to what?

vCash: 50
Our D is bottom 5 without Marc Staal, so yeah I'd have to say go and get someone ASAP.

Unless Erixon, Del Zotto, and McDonagh can somehow turn into a great left side...

Old
10-05-2011, 10:04 AM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
This is part of the reason why concussions are so scary, they are unpredictable and there is no set time for recovery. Sather is saying Staal could be out for a month, but he could be back before that or return long after that.

If Staal is out for a month, Mara isn't the answer at all. He's even slower than he was when played here, and he has had issues staying healthy the past few seasons. Guess the Rangers are truly in desperation mode now.

Where's the thread that was praising Sather based on the expectations of the season as if we had already won the Cup? That was a jinx. Staal is the most important player on this team next to Lundqvist and if he's out long-term it will be very difficult for us to be one of the top teams in the conference.
Jinx threads on HF Rangers? Nah, couldn't be

Anyways, shouldn't somebody be getting on creating the "Gaborik Countdown to 50" thread? Thats always been successful.

Old
10-05-2011, 10:04 AM
pwoz

I hope Eric Staal gets destroyed in open ice (clean of course).

Old
10-05-2011, 10:07 AM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSutton View Post
Jinx threads on HF Rangers? Nah, couldn't be

Anyways, shouldn't somebody be getting on creating the "Gaborik Countdown to 50" thread? Thats always been successful.
Hahah, I was half joking, but you're right, that "Gaborik Countdown to 50" thread is a failure every time.

No one start a "Countdown to Staal's Return" thread, he'll be out the whole season then.

Old
10-05-2011, 10:11 AM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
Hahah, I was half joking, but you're right, that "Gaborik Countdown to 50" thread is a failure every time.

No one start a "Countdown to Staal's Return" thread, he'll be out the whole season then.
Not that it matters, because that "Rangers to win stanley cup!" thread assuredly sabotaged any success we would have had this season.
Funny how all this terrible Staal news comes after that thread...

HF Rangers - Counting Eggs before they hatch since forever

Old
10-05-2011, 10:11 AM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSutton View Post
Super, if Thomas is as bad as you say he is, why would any team deal a top 4 defender for him?
Didn't see anyone say Thomas was bad.

He had a poor Traverse City showing, nothing horrible with that.

He's still a legit prospect.

Plus it's going to be Thomas ++ for that top 4 guy

More than enough to get a deal done.

Old
10-05-2011, 10:14 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Sent: Oct 5, 2011 11:07a

Bottom line: Staal isn't progressing, has had setback and sounds like he may shut down rehab completely while getting more medical opinions.

sent via Twitter for BlackBerry®
On Twitter: http://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/st...02334680817666

How does Mckenzie know Staal had a setback?

Old
10-05-2011, 10:18 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Sent: Oct 5, 2011 11:07a

Bottom line: Staal isn't progressing, has had setback and sounds like he may shut down rehab completely while getting more medical opinions.

sent via Twitter for BlackBerry®
On Twitter: http://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/st...02334680817666

How does Mckenzie know Staal had a setback?
He was cleared for contact, skating with the Whale, might make the opener...and now he's not cleared for contact, not skating, might miss a month and go on IR. I don't think it's unreasonable for McKenzie or anyone else to classify that as a setback, without any further knowledge of what's going on.

Old
10-05-2011, 10:18 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

The same lousy media which had no clue Staal was even suffering from headaches. The Rangers and the Staal camp didn't say anything to anyone. No leaks. Without leaks the media are nothing.

Old
10-05-2011, 10:19 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Guys, enough. There are plenty of places where you can discuss Christian Thomas without completely derailing the thread.

Old
10-05-2011, 10:21 AM
Glen Teflon Sather
With an iron fist

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Screw Mara, with what's left on the scrap heap I'd openly welcome a trade. MDZ getting top 4 minutes isn't a good recipe.

Old
10-05-2011, 10:26 AM
Jackson Ranger

It doesn't sound good. Too bad for Marc. Hopefully his head clears and he can comeback to play this year.

Old
10-05-2011, 10:28 AM
The Perfect Paradox
On hiatus.

vCash: 50
Sather says Staal "could be out a month" and people are flipping out and assuming it is very serious.

Am I missing something here or are people just expecting the worst?

Old
10-05-2011, 10:29 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

I don't think Mara would solve this issue.

We need a guy who can play 20+ or more minutes.

Old
10-05-2011, 10:30 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Henrik 30 View Post
Dagger says Staal "could be out a month" and people are flipping out and assuming it is very serious.

Am I missing something here or are people just expecting the worst?
Well, concussions and PCS are very difficult conditions to plan for. If it's severe to the point that he could miss a month, it's very, very possible that it could persist far longer than a month. It's so hard to know how long this will affect him.

Closed Thread