HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Marc Staal (10/5: Out indefinitely, on IR)

Closed Thread

Old
10-06-2011, 01:17 PM
Pizza

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyStart View Post
I thought most of us were aware that an injury to our blueline would be a tremendous issue especially if it's to Staal. Although we WERE hoping MDZ or Erixon would make progress or both. Not only to shore up the 3rd pairing but I always thought more importantly so we actually have NHL quality depth. Vtank or Kundratek may get their shot yet
I'm just speaking to the general proposition that most of us felt pretty secure about the overall depth of the D corps. As in "we don't need any more D men, draft, sign, trade for scoring".

I read a lot of that, and in the main agreed. But I think this situation w/Staal shows how potentially losing a key part of your Defense long term resets the out look on how much D is enough....

Still in the long term I think the Rangers will be OK. Players will be pushed more and some cream is bound to rise to the top with this group.

Old
10-06-2011, 01:25 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1983 View Post
You hit the nail on the head with this statement.

And i'll admit I was always against us getting all those defensman, but now, its looking like very good move.

If Staal turns injury prone, along with Sauer who already is and has been his whole hockey career almost, we could be looking at quiet the hole. But nice to see what have bodies to fill those holes in a year or two.
Again, I think we will be OK. I'd just give Staal plenty of time to rest and not push it. Hopefully he's back by mid season. In the mean time Erixon and MDZ are really going to be pushed. That's fine as far as MDZ is concerned the timing on him facing a challenge like this is OK. With Erixon it's a little different. I really thought he would have benefited like McD from some time at Hartford, but now he may have to take a larger role quicker that we would have liked. The plus is that mentally I think he can handle it. Seems like an even tempered guy. Not too volatile, high or low. And he's had pro league experience.
He might struggle a bit at first, but I think he'll even out.

The biggest challenge will be how Tort's manages all the assets and pressure.

Old
10-06-2011, 02:56 PM
Jackpot
Registered Abuser

Talk about hitting the "PANIC" button...These player's are professional athletes..This is when you find out what the guy's on your team are made of, if this group folds and looks for excuses, well I'd rather not have them here. On the other hand, if they step it up and overcome this bump, it shows they have what it takes to succeed at this level, and what it takes to win a championship. If the Rangers season depended on Staal, it was over before it even started..JMO

Old
10-06-2011, 04:08 PM
Leetch3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSutton View Post
If so I really hope the Woywitka pick up doesn't stop anything related to this and hopefully they are just waiting to get back to the US to continue talks. Hoping that Faulk or Murphy makes a guy like McBain expendable.
i don't think that woywitka has anything to do with it. they know he is just a depth guy and insurance against erixon or del zotto not being ready, he isn't a replacement for staal if we need one. He eliminates going after mara, mccabe, etc

Old
10-06-2011, 05:33 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
I'll take Mara short of a trade for someone better... At least we know what we're getting and it will only be a 1 year deal...
I disagree--we don't know what what Mara has left in the tank--it's been two seasons since he played for the Rangers and he's been out of the lineup quite a bit in that time (playing 53 games last year and 42 the year before). He hasn't been in training camp or played in pre-season, so he's not in game shape, much less the kind of conditioning that Tortorella expects from all players.

Signing him is a mistake.

Old
10-06-2011, 06:36 PM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

Looks like Sauer is teaching Del Zotto a thing or two about defense.

Old
10-08-2011, 12:29 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

D is looking great without Staal so far....

Old
10-08-2011, 12:35 PM
dtrap

Send a message via AIM to dtrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSutton View Post
D is looking great without Staal so far....
What did you expect...he is one of the 15 best D-men in the league...

Old
10-08-2011, 12:45 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrap View Post
What did you expect...he is one of the 15 best D-men in the league...
Oh I expected this

Old
10-08-2011, 12:59 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

The team is not going to win many games without Staal and his 25 minutes of ice time. This will be a painful month. Hopefully the team isnt in that big of a hole by the time he is back.

Old
10-15-2011, 09:30 PM
3rd Guy High

we're clearly missing him. Have there been any recent updates? does anyone know if hes skating?

Old
10-15-2011, 09:31 PM
Tony D63
Tortsless Rangers

Staal we miss you!

Old
10-15-2011, 10:47 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by li97 View Post
we're clearly missing him. Have there been any recent updates? does anyone know if hes skating?
According to Gross, he hasn't skated since he was up in Hartford back on Oct 1st.

Old
10-15-2011, 11:39 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Its funny when you think back to some of the discussions here pertaining to Staals effect on the Rangers defense, and how he compares to the the elite defenseman in the NHL.

Sure, hes no Lidstrom - but hes damn important. Absence makes the heart grow fonder....

Old
10-15-2011, 11:48 PM
StaalWars
TeaOrrCoffey

Staal was too durable for his own good before he signed that contract extension. He should have missed a couple of weeks mid-season and really make his absence felt.

We really need him back. It just seems like we're getting pinned our own zone for extended periods of time way too much. I know a lot of that is because of all the penalties but really, it's happening at ES too. I think every time the Tavares line was on the ice they were in our zone.

Old
10-16-2011, 12:36 AM
Leetch3

we clearly miss staal and its beyond me how anyone could think he wasn't important...but to be fair, we aren't just missing staal. we are also missing sauer so 2 of our 4 established dmen on top of going into the year with possibly 2 rookies on the 3rd pair...

staal's absence would be much easier to overcome if we had sauer and a veteran on the 3rd pair that wasn't waiver trash

Old
10-17-2011, 10:59 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitter View Post

Looks like Sauer is teaching Del Zotto a thing or two about defense.
"Yeah, when you get the puck you skate it towards the other team's goal....you see, just like this." lol

Old
10-17-2011, 11:06 AM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
"Yeah, when you get the puck you skate it towards the other team's goal....you see, just like this." lol
Hahaha. "Okay, when they are coming toward you with the puck you DON'T let them skate past you. DON'T."

Old
10-17-2011, 11:34 AM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Why isn't he put on IR, even retroactive to the first game of the season? What are they waiting for? We could be saving valuable cap space that may be needed after the deadline. If he's out at least a month, what the hell is the hold up?

Doughty gets hit in the ribs and he's on IR the next day... Staal hasn't played a game in months but he's not on IR.

Hey Glen, i know it may not look like it because your head coach hasnt even come up with a gameplan yet, but the season has started.

Old
10-17-2011, 11:44 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuccarello Awesome View Post
Why isn't he put on IR, even retroactive to the first game of the season? What are they waiting for? We could be saving valuable cap space that may be needed after the deadline. If he's out at least a month, what the hell is the hold up?

Doughty gets hit in the ribs and he's on IR the next day... Staal hasn't played a game in months but he's not on IR.

Hey Glen, i know it may not look like it because your head coach hasnt even come up with a gameplan yet, but the season has started.
All IR will save you is a roster spot.

You're probably thinking of LTIR, but that's not how it works. From Capgeek...

Quote:
Teams receive cap relief when a player is considered to have a "bona-fide long-term injury" injuries that cause a player to miss at least 10 games or 24 days. This is one of the most commonly misunderstood aspects of the CBA.

Just because a player is on LTIR does not automatically grant the team extra cap space. In the event a player is placed on LTIR, his cap hit still counts toward the team's overall cap payroll. Relief only comes if replacing the player's salary pushes the team's cap payroll to date over the cap. The amount of relief is limited to the amount the team has gone over the cap (less the amount of payroll room the team had at the time the LTIR transaction took place), not the entire amount of the injured player's salary.

Old
10-17-2011, 11:48 AM
JeffMangum
Man Girardi

vCash: 50
In simpler terms, IR allows you to fill a roster spot in lieu of the injured player. Cap space is not involved; it jusr allows you to exceed the salary cap by the players cap hit if necessary.

Old
10-17-2011, 12:21 PM
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
In simpler terms, IR allows you to fill a roster spot in lieu of the injured player. Cap space is not involved; it jusr allows you to exceed the salary cap by the players cap hit if necessary.
Well, I wouldn't say cap space isn't involved. If Staal were on LTIR, he would still count against the cap. Any player we bring in to replace him would still count against the cap, and would use up our remaining cap dollars.

LTIR money can't be banked. It's use it or lose it.

Here is an example using simplified numbers:

Salary Cap: 50 mil
Days in Season: 200
Daily cap: 250k
Staal's daily cap hit: 10k
Current daily cap spending: 245k
Banking: 5k per day

So lets say we put Staal on LTIR. He still counts 10k against the cap every day, but now we are allowed to replace him with any number of players as long as they don't cost more than 10k per day. Because we were at 245k per day when he was placed on LTIR, we are allowed to go as high as 255k per day.

So we sign Mara, who costs 3k per day. Now our daily cap spending is 248k per day and we are only banking 2k per day. The fact that Staal is on LTIR makes absolutely no difference in this scenario.

Ok, so lets say instead we claim someone on waivers who is making 10k per day. Because Staal is on LTIR, we are allowed to do that. Our daily cap spending is now up to 255k per day. But we are banking 0 dollars per day because we are over the cap. LTIR cap space cannot be banked.

Unless Staal will be out for the entire year, it makes no sense to put him on LTIR. Even then, I doubt we'd exceed the cap because we still have to make sure we have enough money left at the end of the year to pay our bonuses. And we need to save money to make deals at the deadline.

If it should become necessary to put Staal on LTIR, we can do so retroactively. But right now, it's not to our advantage to do so.

Old
10-17-2011, 12:25 PM
DMPD
Mats, Zuke of NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post

lololol!

Oh man hahah, this picture should get its own caption thread.

rip
Old
10-17-2011, 12:39 PM
DMPD
Mats, Zuke of NY

Old
10-17-2011, 12:40 PM
JeffMangum
Man Girardi

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Well, I wouldn't say cap space isn't involved. If Staal were on LTIR, he would still count against the cap. Any player we bring in to replace him would still count against the cap, and would use up our remaining cap dollars.

LTIR money can't be banked. It's use it or lose it.
That's my point, it doesn't directly affect the cap, it just allows you to bypass it.