HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Marc Staal (10/5: Out indefinitely, on IR)

Closed Thread

Old
10-28-2011, 08:56 AM
Giglio NYR15
Section 417

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by useref15 View Post
I think giving him the A had more to do with opening night at MSG. They would have given him the A a few games ago, if it had anything to do with Staal, imo.
Well maybe they were waiting to see the Staal news that never happened last week, which Im completely taking as bad. I agree that for opening night, but still either way not a good sign.

Old
10-28-2011, 09:07 AM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Henrik 30 View Post
Saying he will be out for the season is a bit premature. It really is concerning that the fans are being left in the dark about this, but we really have no indication to how long he will be out for.

All we can do at this point is sit and wait for news. The team and management must assume that he is out indefinietly and should manage the roster as such.
Who is saying that? If he actually has PCS, though, the Rangers must ACT as if he may be out the full year. They need to be pro-active with this. Not sit on their ***** and hope.

Old
10-28-2011, 12:04 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

With Sauer back, im content to play the 6 we have. If another injury happens, then id make a move.

Old
10-28-2011, 12:10 PM
HockeyBurd*

I'm sure the moment that the organization is under the impression that Staal is no longer in the Rangers immediate formula for success, they will make some kind of move.

Old
10-28-2011, 12:40 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBurd View Post
I'm sure the moment that the organization is under the impression that Staal is no longer in the Rangers immediate formula for success, they will make some kind of move.
well, i guess i disagree with everyone here because i dont see how you can replace a guy like Marc Staal w/o gutting the team going forward. Its not like youre going to get Weber for Wolski, Christensen and a First. any move would probably be to bolster the 3rd pairing, at best, and i think Eminger is just fine for that role anyway, and i dont want to take away time from Sauer, MDZ, MCD, Girardi, or Erixon. so either you have to go out, break the bank, and bring in an elite first pairing defenseman, or you have a marginal upgrade on the bottom pairs.

I just dont see the need to do either.

If it was easy to replace Marc Staal, we'd already have 5 other defenseman who are just as good as him.

You can't. He's too damn good. I think the Rangers need to stand pat right now. They arent giving up 7 goals a night. They arent giving up 50 shots a night. They are playing fine on the back end.

Old
10-28-2011, 01:02 PM
HockeyBurd*

You can't replace a guy like Staal. But if they come to the realization that he is likely not coming back this season or his career becomes entirely uncertain, they are going to make some kind of move. They aren't giving up 7 goals a night. But they are suffering badly on the defensive end. Those things usually compound. The bottom 4 is a problem. DLZ is in over his head. Erixon can only be reasonably expected to handle so much. Sauer has to get his game back. Eminger has been all the Rangers could have ever hoped for but he is still Steve Eminger. Girardi is now asked to be something beyond reason. These things compound. It doesn't look like a situation that will stabilize. The pressure will build and the cracks will get bigger without some relief.

They would stand pat if they were honest about their chances for the season. But they usually behave like they have to do anything and everything to appear as though they are a contender.

Old
10-28-2011, 02:01 PM
varanger94

A new show on MSG called Beginnings debuted last night featuring Callahan. I think Staal is next. It will be interesting to see if the concussion subject is brought up. Mom should have some choice words to say. For Eric's sake I don't think they will be very harsh on the air. Behind the scenes, I think both parents let him have it. He was probably warned before that hit because he took cheap shots at Mark before that. Still I think it will be interesting.

Old
10-29-2011, 03:03 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

I can't believe people thought this team would be fine without Staal...

Old
10-29-2011, 03:12 PM
Vitto79

Losing Staal really hurts but its no excuse for the overall crappy play

Old
10-29-2011, 03:52 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSutton View Post
I can't believe people thought this team would be fine without Staal...
Marc Staal is the most important player on this team other than Lundqvist. The loss of a #1 defenseman is a major blow to any team, but it's compounded even further on our team due to the youth and inexperience of the other defensemen. Injuries are not an excuse, but to expect the team to play the same without Staal is a ridiculous notion.

Erixon belongs in Hartford, and Eminger should not be playing every night. Girardi will be burnt out by January if he keeps averaging 27 minutes a game. Obviously the Rangers aren't going to find anyone of Staal's caliber to replace him (unless they want to gut the team), but they need to find a top 4 defensemen to take some pressure off Girardi and let Erixon develop in the AHL.

Old
10-29-2011, 04:17 PM
Nyrvana

I think this is a great opportunity for the Rangers' defensemen. Everyone has had to step up. McDonagh, Del Zotto, and Erixon's games have all improved. Replacing Staal isn't neccessary when everyone's stepping up. Even Eminger has been really solid this year. I like the 6 we have now. If someone ends up getting hurt, then we will have to make a move, but not now.

Old
10-29-2011, 05:01 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Where are the people who said missing Staal wouldn't be that bad? I'd love for them to step forward right about now.

Old
10-30-2011, 08:42 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Q. What’s your scouting report on the Rangers?

A. Every team starts off the year very optimistic, and we’re one of those teams. We came into the season very healthy and with everybody signed. No distractions over the summer. We targeted the free agents Brad Richards and Mike Rupp. Our kids are growing up, so there’s a lot of optimism. Then sure enough, Marc Staal didn’t feel good during training camp, so he’s still out. We missed Michael Sauer at the start of the season. But over all we’re optimistic. We like the direction the team has gone in the last couple of years. We added some strong pieces to the group. And of course, when you have a goalie likeHenrik Lundqvist, you’re always in the game. We feel pretty good.
http://slapshot.blogs.nytimes.com/20...-mark-messier/

The Rangers aren't making the playoffs without Staal playing at least 40 games.

His loss has ripped the guts out of this team. 2nd best player on the team. Plays 25 minutes per game. The Rangers don't lose yesterday with Staal on the ice.

All of the projects and plans of the summer are nothing without Staal and everyone focuses on Avery,Zuccarello,Christensen and Deveaux.

Old
10-30-2011, 10:55 AM
surf
Wheres the Reggae?

They are surving without him..3-3-3 is treading water..Most of our losses came from not scoring enough..What do you care anyways? You already gave up on them..

Quote:
Where are the people who said missing Staal wouldn't be that bad? I'd love for them to step forward right about now.

Old
10-30-2011, 11:01 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
http://slapshot.blogs.nytimes.com/20...-mark-messier/

The Rangers aren't making the playoffs without Staal playing at least 40 games.

His loss has ripped the guts out of this team. 2nd best player on the team. Plays 25 minutes per game. The Rangers don't lose yesterday with Staal on the ice.

All of the projects and plans of the summer are nothing without Staal and everyone focuses on Avery,Zuccarello,Christensen and Deveaux.
We can't exactly wish him back onto the roster, can we?

Those guys you listed are something that can be done about. Staal just has to get better, sooner or later.

10-30-2011, 11:07 AM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by surf View Post
They are surving without him..3-3-3 is treading water..Most of our losses came from not scoring enough..What do you care anyways? You already gave up on them..
"Surviving"? More like getting embarrassed nightly.
It's easy to look at numbers and make an assessment but that's incredibly short sighted. Blown leads, consistently outshot, the list goes on and it all stems from the loss of Staal. Maybe 3-3-3 is content for you, but I strive for a bit more.

Rangerboy said it best, the guts of the team have been ripped out.

Old
10-30-2011, 11:31 AM
surf
Wheres the Reggae?

Nah..you strive to quit on them 8 games in..My fair weather friend.

Quote:
"Surviving"? More like getting embarrassed nightly.
It's easy to look at numbers and make an assessment but that's incredibly short sighted. Blown leads, consistently outshot, the list goes on and it all stems from the loss of Staal. Maybe 3-3-3 is content for you, but I strive for a bit more.

Rangerboy said it best, the guts of the team have been ripped out.

Old
10-30-2011, 11:40 AM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by surf View Post
Nah..you strive to quit on them 8 games in..My fair weather friend.
Doesn't make me any less right.

Old
11-01-2011, 04:03 PM
bluecollarblueshirt*

Staal

Why won't they tell us anything on our all-star defensemen?

I wouldn't even mind if all torts said was things have not changed and he's still being treated.
Thoughts on why they would keep it so quiet?

Old
11-01-2011, 04:13 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecollarblueshirt View Post
Why won't they tell us anything on our all-star defensemen?

I wouldn't even mind if all torts said was things have not changed and he's still being treated.
Thoughts on why they would keep it so quiet?
Because there's nothing to report?

11-01-2011, 04:16 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Seriously, they need to give us some kind of update. I think we're a playoff team with Marc but you can see the effect he has on our defense. With him, we very likely have at least 5 or more wins. (I say he stops us from losing to Ottawa definitely, with some more possibles throughout the season so far.)

Old
11-01-2011, 04:32 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Seriously, they need to give us some kind of update. I think we're a playoff team with Marc but you can see the effect he has on our defense. With him, we very likely have at least 5 or more wins. (I say he stops us from losing to Ottawa definitely, with some more possibles throughout the season so far.)
I was looking over it today. I'd give us the LA game and Ottawa game for sure.

Old
11-01-2011, 04:37 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Damn you Micheletti, damn you!

Old
11-01-2011, 04:48 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Meant to say we're a playoff team WITHOUT Marc. But yeah, you get my point. We're a much better team with him.

Just the fact that we get to push down our LD's, and maybe when he's back Erixon has improved enough to the point where the organization wants him on the roster (though personally I felt he was more than fine defensively.)

Staal-Girardi
McDonagh-Sauer
MDZ-Erixon

or even MDZ-Sauer McDonagh-Erixon.

Old
11-01-2011, 05:33 PM
bluecollarblueshirt*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Meant to say we're a playoff team WITHOUT Marc. But yeah, you get my point. We're a much better team with him.

Just the fact that we get to push down our LD's, and maybe when he's back Erixon has improved enough to the point where the organization wants him on the roster (though personally I felt he was more than fine defensively.)

Staal-Girardi
McDonagh-Sauer
MDZ-Erixon

or even MDZ-Sauer McDonagh-Erixon.
agreed but i feel as if torts had a problem with the last game he played when he pulled a dz move and pinched in on the wrong time and led a 2 on 1 back the other way with dz diving to break up the play and erixon diving right behind him to attempt to break up the play. Other than a few hiccups he was fine

Closed Thread