HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Marc Staal (10/5: Out indefinitely, on IR)

Closed Thread

Old
11-01-2011, 07:21 PM
DM23BK30
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
I'm a glass half-full kinda guy when it comes to Staal. I think his injury allows the Rangers to bring younger guys to the forefront. Girardi has been outstanding so far, but I worry because he's a notorious fast starter. I also think Erixon will be back and getting regular minutes by December or January.

Old
11-02-2011, 03:35 AM
ilovemarkmessier

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
http://slapshot.blogs.nytimes.com/20...-mark-messier/

The Rangers aren't making the playoffs without Staal playing at least 40 games.

His loss has ripped the guts out of this team. 2nd best player on the team. Plays 25 minutes per game. The Rangers don't lose yesterday with Staal on the ice.

All of the projects and plans of the summer are nothing without Staal and everyone focuses on Avery,Zuccarello,Christensen and Deveaux.
Mark Staal is the most overated Ranger of all time. Honestly McDonagh better already and hes still getting better. Our problems is scoring goals . Just cause he has the name Staal doesnt make him the best Ranger ever. We make the Playoffs with or without him.

Old
11-02-2011, 04:12 AM
RunTheJesperFast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemarkmessier View Post
Mark Staal is the most overated Ranger of all time. Honestly McDonagh better already and hes still getting better. Our problems is scoring goals . Just cause he has the name Staal doesnt make him the best Ranger ever. We make the Playoffs with or without him.
wrong from the very first word

Old
11-02-2011, 05:56 AM
TheGrapesOfMcIlrath
Gooey

Quote:
Ridiculous statement.

Marc Staal faces the toughest competition night in and night out, and shuts them down. No one has any delusions about his offensive game, which leaves something to be desired. That doesn't change the fact that he plays monster minutes against some of the NHL's best players on a nightly basis. Overrating would be putting him up there in the Top-10 NHL dmen, which almost noone on this board does. The general consensus is that he's Top-15 to 30, depending on who you ask and what attributes they value most in a dman. That doesn't make him overrated.

McDonagh is not better than Marc Staal. Could he be? Yes, if he keeps adding offense and eliminates the occasional defensive brain fart, but that's a big if. Also, Marc Staal is still young and developing, too. Give McDonagh more than 55 NHL games to show he can play this way every outing. It's not fair to him to be hyped to this extent.

Old
11-02-2011, 06:16 AM
msv957

Quote:
Staal is a real good NHL defenseman. Not sure why you can't see that.

However, I do agree as some are making it seem that missing Staal is like missing Larry Robinson or Chris Pronger here

Players have stepped up their game since Staal has been out. Girardi could be even better than Staal and McD stepped up nicely also.

Old
11-02-2011, 06:27 AM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by msv957 View Post

However, I do agree as some are making it seem that missing Staal is like missing Larry Robinson or Chris Pronger here

Players have stepped up their game since Staal has been out. Girardi could be even better than Staal and McD stepped up nicely also.
Statements like these prove how abosolutely little you understand about the game and our team.

Old
11-02-2011, 06:34 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
It'd be nice if you could actually spell his name right before you make such a moronic post. No one is making him out to be the best rangers player ever. No one. But any average rangers fan would have noticed these past 2 1/2 years Staal has gone up against the opposing teams BEST offensive players night in and night out. He is 6'4" and is just 24 years old. He would be entering his 5th season this year. He has been playing since he was 19-20 years old. Logging over 25 minutes a game thus far in his career playing against the the opposing team's best, he is a +14. His skating and confidence with the puck has improved each year and with that his point totals have been improving each year. Girardi did not have a good game against the Senators on Saturday and it is more likely than not because of all the ice time that he has logged. Torts has him replacing Staal, and while he has done a very impressive job thus far, he still is not Marc Staal.

But let's not forget he is just 24 years old.

Get your facts straight or just keep your unfounded opinions to yourself.
Quote:

No one here is making him out to be like those players because he hasn't gotten there, YET. He is just 24 years old. And YET he has already taken on the role of the #1 shut down defenseman for a reason. He didn't make the all star team last year on the merit of his point totals. That doesnt happen all too often and should speak volume for those who are trying to downplay the value of Marc Staal.

Old
11-02-2011, 07:11 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

What was the name of that poster who always knocked Staal? Was it Shon?

Old
11-02-2011, 07:18 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

This situation hasn't been easy on Eric Staal. He has played like garbage. 5 points in 12 games.-12. He looks like a different player.

Jordan Staal made this comment last week

Quote:
"Obviously I feel bad for both my brothers," Jordan Staal said after the Penguins morning skate Tuesday at Nassau Coliseum. "It's not a great situation, but again, it happens in the games. Hopefully, it will be over soon enough."
http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...th-my-brothers

Old
11-02-2011, 07:38 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Welcome to the board. You're wrong.

11-02-2011, 07:48 AM
McDonagh
Slow it down 30GHz

Quote:
McDonagh better already?

Please get well soon, Staal.

Old
11-02-2011, 08:25 AM
DM23BK30
HFB Partner

Wouldnt it be awesome if Staal came back and was wearing a big-ass helmet like David Wright did.

Or how about Mark Kelso's big friggin helmet pad LOLOLOL

Old
11-02-2011, 08:45 AM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Jesus, this Messier guy is just on a role! He doesn't quit! Gotta love the effort

Mark Staal? Who's that? Is he Marc Staal's cousin?

Old
11-02-2011, 08:47 AM
Ruotsalainen29
Zhoo-Zhitsu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Way of War View Post
Wouldnt it be awesome if Staal came back and was wearing a big-ass helmet like David Wright did.

Old
11-02-2011, 08:52 AM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Gazoo.

Attachment 49631

Old
11-02-2011, 08:57 AM
TheGrapesOfMcIlrath
Gooey

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Way of War View Post

Thank you for that. I almost couldn't contain myself here at work when I saw that football helmet. It looks beyond ridiculous.

Old
11-02-2011, 09:37 AM
msv957

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSutton View Post
Statements like these prove how abosolutely little you understand about the game and our team.
Not sure where you are coming from with that statement. Actually, your statement actually shows how little you understand about the game... Girardi is playing great and it can be argued he is playing at a level even better than Staal was at. This is not downplaying Staal at all. This is more of a reflection how other players have stepped up (especially Girardi).

The Rangers are currently 8th in the NHL in goals against. This is a good defense even without Staal. Of course, adding Staal would only make it even better.

Old
11-02-2011, 09:55 AM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Quote:
Not sure where you are coming from with that statement. Actually, your statement actually shows how little you understand about the game... Girardi is playing great and it can be argued he is playing at a level even better than Staal was at. This is not downplaying Staal at all. This is more of a reflection how other players have stepped up (especially Girardi).

The Rangers are currently 8th in the NHL in goals against. This is a good defense even without Staal. Of course, adding Staal would only make it even better.
Were 8th in goals against because we have a top 3 goaltender and a top 5 back up.

Otherwise, our defense has led us to blown leads, terrible transitioning and giving up a TON of shots against. All of this stems from not having Staal and screwing with our D pairs.

Girardi is playing great, but he will never be Staal and nobody would ever argue that.

How are you missing this?

Old
11-02-2011, 10:03 AM
DM23BK30
HFB Partner

Quote:

Not this season. Through 10 games without Staal, Rangers are 5th worst in the NHL in shots allowed but 5th overall in SVPCT.

Staal's injury throws the rotation off.

Instead of having two excellent pairs of shut-down d-men, you have just one. The bottom pairing of Woywitka and Eminger is God-awful, last game notwithstanding.

Staal-Girardi
Macdonagh-Sauer
MDZ-Erixon/Eminger

A healthy Staal makes that a top-5 group in the league.

Old
11-02-2011, 10:52 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
His name could be snuffluffigus and he'd still be the 2nd most valuable player in this franchise. His last name has absolutely nothing to do with his popularity here in NY.

And assuming McDonagh's already a better dmen than Staal is just dumb.

Keep up the great posting.

Old
11-02-2011, 10:55 AM
Kane One
HFB Partner

vCash: 2550
Quote:
Yea ****ing right. Just go back to the Islander board where you belong. McDonagh's better becore he scores goals? Maybe you don't understand the definition of "defense"man.

11-02-2011, 11:03 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
Yea ****ing right. Just go back to the Islander board where you belong. McDonagh's better becore he scores goals? Maybe you don't understand the definition of "defense"man.
This is the same poster who:

-Believes Prust should be our top-line LW.
-Believes Callahan should play a different position.
-Wants our only two RHD paired together (Sauer+Girardi)
-Believes we could have traded Weisse+4th for Neal last year
-Can't spell Sauer's, Stepan's, or Lundqvist's name right
-Believes the Islanders should compensate the Rangers for Parenteau+Montoya

I think it's safe to say he doesn't really know what he's talking about. Matter of fact, i think it's about time I use the ignore-fuction for my own well-being.

Old
11-02-2011, 11:39 AM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
This is the same poster who:

-Believes Prust should be our top-line LW.
-Believes Callahan should play a different position.
-Wants our only two RHD paired together (Sauer+Girardi)
-Believes we could have traded Weisse+4th for Neal last year
-Can't spell Sauer's, Stepan's, or Lundqvist's name right
-Believes the Islanders should compensate the Rangers for Parenteau+Montoya

I think it's safe to say he doesn't really know what he's talking about. Matter of fact, i think it's about time I use the ignore-fuction for my own well-being.
come on brah...mark stale sux

Old
11-02-2011, 11:51 AM
bmw2004

So when are we going to get some report on Marc? It has been almost a month without any news from the management. I am as a Ranger fan would like to know more. Do you?

Old
11-02-2011, 12:56 PM
Riche16
McCready guitar god

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw2004 View Post
So when are we going to get some report on Marc? It has been almost a month without any news from the management. I am as a Ranger fan would like to know more. Do you?
Quite possible they (the NYR org.) just don't know. It's a worst case scenario at this point, but it's a fact.

There's nothing to update.

Closed Thread