HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Vigneault stiffs Hodgson in first game of season

Old
09-21-2011, 03:21 PM
Wetcoaster

vCash: 500
Vigneault stiffs Hodgson in first game of season

Tony Gallagher is wasting no time in getting back to his campaign of vilifying Alain Vigneault - you might say he is already in mid-season form.

I suppose that it has not occurred to him that his good friend Mike Gillis likely had some input into the decision in to how Hodgson was to be utilized in the pre-season.
In a year when Ryan Kesler is hurt and there is finally an opportunity to get the gifted kid a bona fide look in a top six spot in his right position, the first signal the player gets from his coach is yet another shot across the bow.

After eating all that humble pie by publicly stating that he wasn't going to worry about how he was used and that he was going to concentrate on making sure he had the right attitude and worry about his own game, the first thing his coach does is send him to Calgary on the day of the game and start him with a couple of stiffs in Victor Oreskovich and Mike Duco.

What can possibly be achieved by this other than piss the kid off? Perhaps we're getting a little carried away a little early here but seriously, tell me how else he is supposed to interpret that assignment?
http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Ga...936/story.html

Perhaps Tony should look at how Detroit eases its rookies into the line-up and recall that Gillis has clearly said numerous times that is the model which the Canucks intend to emulate.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 03:27 PM
Nachoman AlfieSavage*

I don't think it was a jab at Hodgson.

We all know how Alain Vigneault has a ***** for guys who play well at both ends of the rink. I also believe many within the Canucks organization believe Cody has the offensive potential to be a top 6 player. The only question mark is his skating, softness and defensive zone coverage/play.

I believe they put him on the junk roster knowing full well most of the play would be in the Canucks zone so that AV, a defense first coach, could get a better read on how CoHos defensive game is progressing.

If CoHo is to make the 2c role, it won't be because of his impressive offensive play. Everyone knows he has the offensive play. It will be because he has shown to be respectable in his own zone. AV knows the kid has offensive flare, he wants to make sure that he's responsible in his own end.

That's my opinion on the matter.

Nachoman AlfieSavage* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 03:28 PM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

Well for the first time Hodgson looked great playing with garbage and if that is what the staff is looking for then they got it.

AndyPipkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 03:29 PM
the beat
cursum perficio

It's only one game. If the preseason ends without Cody getting a look with some offensively gifted players, then I would start to question things.

the beat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 03:31 PM
Bobby Lou
Moustache Power

vCash: 894
A bit over-the-top considering it's just the first pre-season game, but I sort of agree it was a damn weird move to pair all our other top prospects (Schroeder, Jensen, Tanev, etc.) with legitimate players, and then toss Hodgson out there with two guys who probably won't make the regular season roster. There were some good reviews on Hodgson's play though so hopefully he gets his shot in the next couple of games with some top six line mates. I didn't watch both games, so I can't really comment on how Hodgson's performance compared to guy's like Ebbett or Schroeder, who are probably his main competition.

Bobby Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
parabola
Global Moderator
novus ordo seclorum

Nothing to see here.

mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser

vCash: 50
How many preseason games are there? Like a 100? Who gives a rip about game 1?

Gallagher at his best.

mrmyheadhurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 03:36 PM
mstad101

I'd be happy with the staff just letting him play the whole pre-season.
Atleast give him the games to show he has the right tools to belong. That's a fair shot, who he plays with doesn't truly matter until we hit the last 2 games of pre-season. Since that's when most teams ice their NHL lineup.
Tony is just blowing this up for a news article, and since its a running theme, like much of what the Canucks do, he can usually sell more by negatively showing any aspect of anything Canucks. He's a smart man if he all of Canucks fans are idiots and by into this outlook.
Personally don't care what Tony G writes or thinks, but I do share his distaste for our coach. But I'm willing to let it slide since he's been so successful.

mstad101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 03:40 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Jumping the gun, IMO. Was I pleased with the choice of Hodgson's linemates? No, but it was also 1 game. You could also look at it as sending him in to be one of the leaders on a pretty bad team.

He'll get better looks as the camp moves along, I'm reasonably confident of that.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 03:52 PM
m9

If they had gotten a bunch of PP's in a row and Hodgson got a ton of chances in a top line role on the road it would've looked like a great move. It didn't work out that way, but whatever.

Nothing to see here at all, except a garbage column.

m9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 03:53 PM
Dado

vCash:
He's also playing against a totally scrub opponent. He could be partnered with Tonya Harding and Nancy Kerrigan and STILL be expected to shine.

When Burrows came up, it didn't matter who you put him with, or what situation he was tossed into - he always shone.

Old
09-21-2011, 03:59 PM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Well, Bowness seemed to really like his game. If the test was on how he would do defensively, he seemed to pass.

ItsAllPartOfThePlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 04:03 PM
Bobby Lou
Moustache Power

vCash: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
He's also playing against a totally scrub opponent. He could be partnered with Tonya Harding and Nancy Kerrigan and STILL be expected to shine.
Considering the Flames dressed pretty much their entire top six outside of Iginla, and started Kipper I dunno if you could say it was a 'scrub' opponent. Especially when you look at the team the Canucks sent over there, now that is a total scrub opponent. One guy on the Flames board accused us of dressing a bunch of homeless guys we found outside the Saddledome because he couldn't name anyone outside of Hodgson. And you can't really blame Hodgson for his scrub team putting itself on the PK for most of the game.

Bobby Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 04:03 PM
VanEric

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsAllPartOfThePlan View Post
Well, Bowness seemed to really like his game. If the test was on how he would do defensively, he seemed to pass.
Likely thought process - We're sending a bunch of fringe guys to Calgary, we need to send at least one guy who knows what he's doing offensively with them, let's send Hodgson.

It's meaningless besides we don't know what the coaches are looking for. Maybe he's already penciled into the lineup in their minds?

VanEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 04:14 PM
BloatedGuppy

What's wrong with Oreo as a line mate? It's a split-squad preseason game. Who is he supposed to be playing with, Daniel and Henrik Sedin? They gave him a chance to be the difference maker on his line, and from the sounds of it he showed pretty well.

BloatedGuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 04:22 PM
crazycanuck

I may not agree with 99% of what TG writes but it's worth having him write it when he goes on team1040 to talk about it, very entertaining, lol.

I think the method to the madness was to see how well Hodgson plays defensively when you know (due to craptastic roster) he will be spending a lot of time playing in the defensive zone.

crazycanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 04:24 PM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Lou View Post
you can't really blame Hodgson for his scrub team putting itself on the PK for most of the game.
I didn't blame Hodgson for anything.

I'm saying I'm not accepting "playing with scrubs" as an excuse. Especially in pre-season, this is an ideal way for a clear leader/skilled player to show himself as being a couple of cuts above the rest.

Old
09-21-2011, 04:28 PM
Luck 6
\\_______

...It's pre-season game 1. There was like a couple of skill guys between a whole bunch of plugs. Sure, he could have sat Hodgson out and waited to let him play with the other skill guys, but why not let him get his feet wet ahead of time? Hodgson isn't an idiot, he's not gonna lose confidence over a pre-season game where he was playing with two guys with stone hands. He's gonna take away from it what he can and move on to the next game.

Luck 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 04:37 PM
VanTampaFan

christ. gallagher needs to be banned from writing at times. There could be a number of reasons why he was paired with Oreo and Duco and played in Calgary. We also have NO CLUE as to what has happened in behind the scenes discussions or decisions. Gallagher also has forgotten that CoHo has been given quite a few impressive linemates in camp so far so what is one game playing with two guys who are not top6 quality wingers REALLY matter? If it continued the whole camp then his stance might be justified.

Top Reasons I can think of:

1) Trying him out with two guys likely to be in the bottom 6 of the forward group.
The brass wanted to see how they jelled together. While a Oreo-CoHo-Duco line looks like a 4th line combo to us, would people have reacted so violently if we saw Manny-Coho-Oreo? A line that could legitimately be a 3rd line in the season? Regardless of everyone's desire (including mine) to see cody do really well and stick in the top 6, a much more likely spot for him will be the 3rd line unless he moves to wing with Kes.

2) Assessing Cody's ability to elevate the play of others with lesser abilities
While pairing a guy with two very skilled guys in preseason would give the guy a chance to shine, pairing someone with two average players can show just how much offensive awareness someone has and their ability to create chances without relying on others. Many of the best pivots in the game are able to do this. Think Henrik, Crosby, Richards, etc. If you pair them up with a dog on skates they will still figure out offensive chances.

3) They simply needed a more skilled centre on that team
Are we overanalyzing yet? ahha. Let's wait for a couple more games before the freak-out "fire AV" crowd gets raucous.

VanTampaFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 05:01 PM
Win One Before I Die
Former Booth Fan

Send a message via MSN to Win One Before I Die
i just heard from a good source that the rift between the Canucks and Hodgson is back. he may have also mentioned that Hodgson is wanting to be traded so rather than lose him to another team when he becomes UFA, we are going to screw up his development so he can't be used against us. I may or may not be making this up.

Win One Before I Die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 05:02 PM
Karl Hungus

Gallagher really does the fans of this team a disservice with articles like this. Puts unnecessary heat on the coach and for Cody it reinforces the negative part of playing in a big market. This city has it's share of terrible sports journalists but Gallagher is right out at the front of them.

Karl Hungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 05:11 PM
crazyforhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iridescently View Post
I don't think it was a jab at Hodgson.

We all know how Alain Vigneault has a ***** for guys who play well at both ends of the rink. I also believe many within the Canucks organization believe Cody has the offensive potential to be a top 6 player. The only question mark is his skating, softness and defensive zone coverage/play.

I believe they put him on the junk roster knowing full well most of the play would be in the Canucks zone so that AV, a defense first coach, could get a better read on how CoHos defensive game is progressing.

If CoHo is to make the 2c role, it won't be because of his impressive offensive play. Everyone knows he has the offensive play. It will be because he has shown to be respectable in his own zone. AV knows the kid has offensive flare, he wants to make sure that he's responsible in his own end.

That's my opinion on the matter.

I tend to agree ......if he succeeds in a tough situation...then coaches can relax because they can put him out there in bad situations and he can shine(which he did)

no worries going forward..

the other factor is putting Oreo and Duco in a more offensive mode with a talented centerman to see what they can do......if they can play the 4th line fine but what if they have to change up lines in a game .... they need to know what they have there.

anyways Tony G goes off half caocked when he just could wait another game or two to see who they play COHo with...and realize he would have been a a@@ if he wrote that article....ooops too late tony

crazyforhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 05:24 PM

It seems quite possible that Cody was verbally prepped for this first game, so that the new linemates weren't any kind of shock to him. Duco is sort of a tough guy, and he may have been there for protection against Flame thugs. Cody may well have perfectly understood and agreed with the whole scenario for this game.

Lots of speculation in my post, but it's much more reasonable speculation IMO than Tony G's. Clarity and fairness are hallmarks of good management, and I don't think a Gillis shop would be allowed to stray very far from those principles.

701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 05:25 PM
BLAME CANADA*
The Canucks did it

I don't think there's anything wrong with testing Hodgson like they did. Lets face AV and Gillis don't want to see Hodgson fail as what good comes from that for them?. You just gotta trust what they're doing and how their testing Hodgson. I'd be shocked if Hodgson doesn't get some good linemates soon as the Canucks are hoping Hodgson can fill Keslers role for a short time. I really hate our sport media, one of the worse in sports, imo.

BLAME CANADA* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 05:26 PM
ubiquitous
*shink*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPipkin View Post
Well for the first time Hodgson looked great playing with garbage and if that is what the staff is looking for then they got it.
They are just prepping him for having Marco Sturm on his wing.

ubiquitous is offline   Reply With Quote