HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Joey Moss Cup (starting now)

Old
09-19-2011, 04:50 PM
TowMater14

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
I just want to say one thing about Ryan Nugent-Hopkins' style of play, and I hope that this gets noticed by most people here. I watched him a number of times in Red Deer last year, and in the pre season this year as well. What I can tell you for sure, is that he isn't a flashy guy at all. He isn't like Hall in that you notice him on the ice all the time, you don't notice him often at all actually. You notice when he makes an awesome play, like stripping the puck in the JM Cup yesterday (which we'll see a lot of, its one of his favorite moves). The amazing thing about Nugent-Hopkins is how subtle his game is. He does all the little things right, so unless you're watching close, you don't really notice him. Next thing you know, the puck is in the other teams net, and you're left wondering how RNH got the puck and set up the shooter so quickly. He's quite a unique player to watch. I just thought I'd share this because I noticed a few people sharing how they were expecting more out of RNH. Honestly, I was last season as well. It took a few games for me to figure out that RNH wasn't going to be dangling all over the place, he was going to do everything right and be invisible while doing it.
This is what I thought as well. He is the kind of player that doesn't necessarily stand out on the ice all the time, but shows up on the scoreboard.He doesn't seem to carry the puck much but at the same time make simple amazing plays.

TowMater14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 04:54 PM
PumpkinBomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowMater14 View Post
This is what I thought as well. He is the kind of player that doesn't necessarily stand out on the ice all the time, but shows up on the scoreboard.He doesn't seem to carry the puck much but at the same time make simple amazing plays.
With respect to this, Crosby plays like this. Except on the powerplay, I almost never notice Crosby on the ice (except down low in the offensive zone when it seems no one can knock him off the puck).

PumpkinBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 04:56 PM
hockeyaddict101

What I have noticed about RNH at this level is his defensive acumen.

He may not be as dynamic as Hall but IMO he will be trusted in more difficult scenarios.

hockeyaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 05:04 PM
TowMater14

Quote:
Originally Posted by PumpkinBomb View Post
With respect to this, Crosby plays like this. Except on the powerplay, I almost never notice Crosby on the ice (except down low in the offensive zone when it seems no one can knock him off the puck).
I noticed that when I saw him play live in Edmonton. He didn't seem to even notice him much (except the fact that I was watching him specifically) but he killed us with I believe three points that game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyaddict101 View Post
What I have noticed about RNH at this level is his defensive acumen.

He may not be as dynamic as Hall but IMO he will be trusted in more difficult scenarios.
Agreed.

Old
09-19-2011, 05:14 PM
Halibut

Quote:
I noticed that when I saw him play live in Edmonton. He didn't seem to even notice him much (except the fact that I was watching him specifically) but he killed us with I believe three points that game.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking as well but didnt want to say it and spark off the talk of crazy comparisons. He doesnt have the physical tools to ever be Sid Crosby but he does play a smart game and is mostly invisible (from what I've seen). Was at that Penguins game and Crosby was invisible until you looked at the score sheet.

Halibut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 05:27 PM
TowMater14

Lol...O.T. but my brother just called to tell me that my avatar looked like a little boy in underwear....it was actually Wayne Gretzky posing! Needless to say, I just changed it...eeewwww

Old
09-19-2011, 07:51 PM
Philly85
Raps'

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
I just want to say one thing about Ryan Nugent-Hopkins' style of play, and I hope that this gets noticed by most people here. I watched him a number of times in Red Deer last year, and in the pre season this year as well. What I can tell you for sure, is that he isn't a flashy guy at all. He isn't like Hall in that you notice him on the ice all the time, you don't notice him often at all actually. You notice when he makes an awesome play, like stripping the puck in the JM Cup yesterday (which we'll see a lot of, its one of his favorite moves). The amazing thing about Nugent-Hopkins is how subtle his game is. He does all the little things right, so unless you're watching close, you don't really notice him. Next thing you know, the puck is in the other teams net, and you're left wondering how RNH got the puck and set up the shooter so quickly. He's quite a unique player to watch. I just thought I'd share this because I noticed a few people sharing how they were expecting more out of RNH. Honestly, I was last season as well. It took a few games for me to figure out that RNH wasn't going to be dangling all over the place, he was going to do everything right and be invisible while doing it.
I agree whole heartedly.

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 11:58 PM
Oi'll say!

Martindale - straight up comp for Brodziak imo. Similar size and style, junior stats are pretty similar all things considered, unimpressive draft pedigree, will he be better, worse or even?

RNH - Is he that good or that flukey? When he set up Hamilton on the tape, on the fly, thru 2 defenders off just a 1/4 second glance vs the nux it was sublime but lots of guys would have just thrown it out there on that play anyways. So was that a decent overall game with a highlite reel pass or a decent overall game with a flukey pass?

Honestly for an 18 yr old he's doing pretty well against veteran nhl'ers, veteran ahl'ers, etc. His size/strength doesn't seem to be anywhere near as much of an issue as I was thinking b4. I thought guys would be knocking him around like a 19 yr old sedin.

Oi'll say! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 12:28 AM
Hockey Buddha
Darnell Nurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say! View Post
Martindale - straight up comp for Brodziak imo. Similar size and style, junior stats are pretty similar all things considered, unimpressive draft pedigree, will he be better, worse or even?
Similar comparison in some ways, but Martindale has way more tools, and at the same age scored 20 more points in the WHL than Brodziak did, which is rather significant. The biggest knock on Martindale from scouts, who know the player's history better than I, has always been his compete level. Scouts have often said Martindale had the skill level of a first round pick, but often played the game with indifference. If Martindale can continue to play with consistency, as he did last season, he should surpass Brodziak as a player in almost every way imaginable. I really enjoyed his game Sunday, but it is early to tell what his trajectory is as a player. The Brodziak comparison is an interesting one. One never knows how a player will develop, but Martindale is making an interesting case for himself as a prospect imo.

Hockey Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 12:33 AM
dnicks17

vCash: 1115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say! View Post
Hmm?

Brodziak = 0.86 ppg

Martindale = 1.27 ppg

That's a fairly significant difference. Especially when you consider Martindale was the cornerstone of his line, where as Brodziak seems to have been the third wheel.

Martindale is also much more physical.

The comparison is way off, in my opinion.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 12:37 AM
Bryanbryoil

Martindale has a hell of a lot more skill than Brodziak ever had. He also looks stronger at 20 than Brodziak did in his time here.

09-20-2011, 12:54 AM
NAF
Beauty Fakes

vCash: 590
Martindale reminds me so much of Penner on the ice, it's not funny. Soft, soft mitts and that big man's lumbering stride that looks like dog**** but somehow keeps him up in the play. I've been following him pretty closely since the draft and there's certainly nothing wrong with his numbers. Add to that the seen-him-good from the last week and he looks like a real find for the organization. Hope he gets a contract soon. Looking forward to watching him tomorrow.

A part of me wonders if the Oilers have been playing head games with him a bit. They know the knock on him is his effort level and commitment so maybe they're trying to challenge and light a fire under him by keeping him at arm's length for the moment. If so, it's a scheme that's working well and gives a whole new meaning to asset management.

NAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 01:19 AM
Dorian2
Positional Bias.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAF View Post
Martindale reminds me so much of Penner on the ice, it's not funny. Soft, soft mitts and that big man's lumbering stride that looks like dog**** but somehow keeps him up in the play. I've been following him pretty closely since the draft and there's certainly nothing wrong with his numbers. Add to that the seen-him-good from the last week and he looks like a real find for the organization. Hope he gets a contract soon. Looking forward to watching him tomorrow.

A part of me wonders if the Oilers have been playing head games with him a bit. They know the knock on him is his effort level and commitment so maybe they're trying to challenge and light a fire under him by keeping him at arm's length for the moment. If so, it's a scheme that's working well and gives a whole new meaning to asset management.
I haven't seen enough of him to judge properly, but considering your's and others comments on Martindale, I'm wondering if he may be a good comparison to one of the forgotten Oilers: Mike Krushelniski?

Anyone?

Dorian2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 01:23 AM
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade

Quote:

He has an interesting balance of obvious offence/hands and size/physicality, esp. after bulking up over the summer that few people have at his age. He's not Taylor Hall of course but he's certainly looking like he's dedicated himself to meeting his potential.

CanadianCommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 02:18 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
I haven't seen enough of him to judge properly, but considering your's and others comments on Martindale, I'm wondering if he may be a good comparison to one of the forgotten Oilers: Mike Krushelniski?

Anyone?
Best comparison yet. Think you nailed it. Krush likely had better hands. I disagree with BBO's take that Brodziak didn't have comparable hands.

Martindales stronger than Brodz, more like Krush, and somewhere between these two in offensive ability.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 04:40 AM
cheesed-off*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
I agree whole heartedly.
You mean 'hole fartedly'.

cheesed-off* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 04:42 AM
cheesed-off*

Quote:
If so, it's a scheme that's working well and gives a whole new meaning to asset management.
You mean asshat management.

Old
09-20-2011, 04:44 AM
cheesed-off*

Quote:

Anyone?
You mean yours - there is no such thing as your's in the English language

Old
09-20-2011, 04:45 AM
cheesed-off*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianCommie View Post
He's not Taylor Hall of course but he's certainly looking like he's dedicated himself to meeting his potential.
You mean he's defecated himself.

Old
09-20-2011, 09:19 AM
Dorian2
Positional Bias.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesed-off View Post
You mean yours - there is no such thing as your's in the English language
Please Cheesy, give me a break. Did you really have to correct my English faux pas with that? Why not just comment on my post, which was more of a question than any type of statement. I didn't come on these boards to be corrected in the grammatical nuances of the English language.

You've really "cheesed - me - off" this time bub! j/k

Dorian2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 11:23 AM
cheesed-off*

Quote:
Please Cheesy, give me a break. Did you really have to correct my English faux pas with that? Why not just comment on my post, which was more of a question than any type of statement. I didn't come on these boards to be corrected in the grammatical nuances of the English language.

You've really "cheesed - me - off" this time bub! j/k
Well I give you all the credit in the world for coming to our great country and learning the language. We need more hardworking immigrants like you. Work hard, and this country can be your's !!

Old
09-20-2011, 11:58 AM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Exactly. I think that is also why he wasn't at the top of the rankings until closer to the draft when teams start scouting more. Teams overlooked him early on, but after seeing the skill he has, most obviously saw how great his skill set is.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 12:31 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
Hmm?

Brodziak = 0.86 ppg

Martindale = 1.27 ppg

That's a fairly significant difference. Especially when you consider Martindale was the cornerstone of his line, where as Brodziak seems to have been the third wheel.

Martindale is also much more physical.

The comparison is way off, in my opinion.
Your stats are wrong. Brodziak was 5 months older when he got 93 pts than Martindale was when he got 83 points. Pretty straight up don't you think? Martindale also has some pretty good linemates, he's not getting any less help scoring than Brodziak did. I'm not sure he deserves the title "cornerstone" on that line while being the lowest scorer on it. He was 23 goals and 25 total points behind Toffoli.

Oi'll say! is offline   Reply With Quote