HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Vinny Damphousse to Avs

Closed Thread

Old
08-18-2004, 08:45 PM
Crossbar

vCash: 500
Are the Avs going to keep Teemu Selanne and re-unite him with Damphousse?

Old
08-18-2004, 08:48 PM
Yayo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moskau
Rumor is Lacoix gave San Jose Wolski and Boychuk because he thought he had too many prospects in the system.
Wow.

You should do stand-up.

Old
08-18-2004, 08:48 PM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtuzzi21
2 million/1 year
Thanks, tuzzi!

Well... that's really borderline for me. But then again Colorado have a pretty big wallet.

Old
08-18-2004, 08:51 PM
Mephisto

Don't forget that Lacroix is very good friends with Damphousse since he was his agent way back...

Old
08-18-2004, 09:01 PM
Russian_fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by detredWINgs
Well, I dont think the Avs will replace Forsberg with Damphousse, but its obvious he isn't coming back.

IMO, Colorado should trade for a guy like Gomez, who is in no way Forsberg, but would be one of the better hole fillers around.
Demitra would be nice?

Old
08-18-2004, 09:12 PM
McDonald19
Hampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaVal575
are they going to try and play him or Gratton on the wing? with Sakic, Forsberg, and Gratton down the middle i don't see the need for him. Gratton could play 4th line center i guess, but it's a waste at $1.5 million. i'd see Hendrickson more suitable for that role.
or he is taking the second line center spot and sakic is first line center as Forsberg is going to play in Sweden?

Old
08-18-2004, 09:13 PM
McDonald19
Hampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossbar
Are the Avs going to keep Teemu Selanne and re-unite him with Damphousse?
no

Old
08-18-2004, 09:21 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
the thing is, he wont be playing with those guys.

people are saying he is a 3rd line center now, but what about gratton?

does this deal act as a safety net if forsberg doesnt come back?
I'm thinking the two will split duties as 2/3 line center. Neither are true second line centers at this moment, but both can contribute offensively if given the chance. I think its an excellent signing for the Avalanche.

I know PL has coveted Damphouse for the last few years. It looks like this time he gets the man he wants without giving up huge assets. Looking at this off-season for the Avs, I'm surprised and impressed with PL. Normally, he isn't one to sign UFA's, but this year he recognized that he needed some players and went out and got nice fillers at very ideal prices.

08-18-2004, 09:37 PM
Moskau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer Time
Wow.

You should do stand-up.
I do. My names Carrottop. That's why my jokes suck without props.

Old
08-18-2004, 09:55 PM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

I've never been high on Damphousse. I think sometimes he's a bit of a wuss, but as far as results go, he's shown that he can still be a streaky offensive center with great vision. This deal CERTAINLY wasn't inked to replace Forsberg. Those who have said in this thread "it's obvious" regarding Forsberg leaving--I'd like to see a link confirming it. Don't get me wrong, I'm not overly optimistic that he'll stay, in fact, I'm preparing for that "what if" in case he's not back. But everyone who "assumes" he's leaving at this point in time is pretending that their random speculation is fact.

I think Damphousse, if anything, provides that Avs with that 2nd/3rd line pivot forward that they've been looking for ever since Reinprecht was dealt. People have said that Gratton could possibily be that guy. I think this deal nullifies such sentiments. Best case scenario sees both Gratton and Damphousse on the third line, worst case scenario sees them fighting it out for the #2 center spot at camp.

Old
08-18-2004, 10:03 PM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moskau
I do. My names Carrottop. That's why my jokes suck without props.

You definitely should do stand-up.

I'm in line with most here: good signing; not a bad price considering the team that is paying him. On the whole he's an underrated player though obviously in decline. He didn't have a very good season last year but he had a fine playoff run which is something Colorado seems to need. Solid leadership which is something else I'd think Colorado could use, though it seems odd saying that considering all the veterans they have.

If Forsberg isn't coming back, Vinny should take the #2 spot over Gratton in my opinion. I doubt, though, that this is the only or even biggest move they'd make should Forsberg leave.

In the end, San Jose should be better for having not re-signed him. They have some quality young guys ready to step in full time. He's done his part teaching what he could from what we saw last year.

Old
08-18-2004, 10:57 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
And Colorado will once again wallow away into oblivion because they are buying players instead of developing players through their (horrendous) system and bringing in players who fill actual roles as opposed to players who are well-known names because of their scoring prowess.

Players who know how to play vs. Players who know how to score

Haven't people learned by now?

I can't wait to see the state of this franchise in 3 years...

Old
08-18-2004, 10:57 PM
Zodiac

Cool. I put forth this scenario about 3 months ago. (Pats self on back) I vaguely remember people laughing at me when I mentioned it too.

I figured that he would be a cheap replacement for Forsberg, if Forsberg was indeed heading back to Sweden. Lacroix tried to snag Vinny before and with the strong playoffs he had this season and cheap salary ...it makes some sense.

Even if Forsberg doesn't head back to Sweden, we have Damphousse or Gratton who can move up if the injury bug hits ...and it usually does.

Tanguay/Forsberg/Hejduk
Konowalchuk/Sakic/Svatos
Damphousse/Gratton/Laaksonen
Worrell/Laperriere/Hinote

Blake/Vaananen
Foote/Liles
Skrastins/Boughner

Abby
Sauve

(Something like that maybe? )

There's some extra bodys layin around, like ...Hahl, Sauer, Hendrickson.

Last edited by Zodiac: 08-18-2004 at 11:11 PM.
Old
08-18-2004, 11:27 PM
avalanche_country

Quote:
Yea I guess two cups , 9 straight division titles and 6 trips to the WCF in nine season does suck :lol

I'll like to see the state of every franchise in 3 years after the CBA gets fixed

Old
08-18-2004, 11:32 PM
Yayo

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
And Colorado will once again wallow away into oblivion because they are buying players instead of developing players through their (horrendous) system and bringing in players who fill actual roles as opposed to players who are well-known names because of their scoring prowess.
Indeed, because they stayed away from role players like Antti Laaksonen and Ian Laperriere and bought well-known names like Pavol Demitra and Ziggy Palffy.

Oh my bad, that never actually happened.

Old
08-19-2004, 12:03 AM
detredWINgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by avalanche_country
Yea I guess two cups , 9 straight division titles and 6 trips to the WCF in nine season does suck :lol

I'll like to see the state of every franchise in 3 years after the CBA gets fixed
and half the team is leaving with one guy. Colorado was half the team without Forsberg this year. I'm not saying its a bad thing-the Wings would be half the team without Lidstrom, but they were having goal scoring problems in the playoffs as well and towards the end of the year. They gonna need to add a big name other than Damphousse...

Old
08-19-2004, 12:31 AM
DRL
Streak killers!

Send a message via MSN to DRL Send a message via Yahoo to DRL
Quote:
And Colorado will once again wallow away into oblivion because they are buying players instead of developing players through their (horrendous) system "
huh, last time i checked they had develop hejduk, drury, tanguay, skoula, vrbata, svatos, liles, aebischer, sauve, mccormick and hahl.

Quote:
"and bringing in players who fill actual roles as opposed to players who are well-known names because of their scoring prowess."

this quote doesnt really go with your first statement unless that first statement was sacrasm, so which is it, are they buying players like say the rangers or are they filling holes, cuz people complain about teams buying the cup but the avs have went out and filled holes in their forward lineup without overpaying for players.

it'll still be in better shape than the flyers

Old
08-19-2004, 12:38 AM
DRL
Streak killers!

Send a message via MSN to DRL Send a message via Yahoo to DRL
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDonald19
or he is taking the second line center spot and sakic is first line center as Forsberg is going to play in Sweden?
the way i see it is there are 2 possibilities:

option 1 with forsberg:

tanguay-forsberg-hejduk
damphousse-sakic-svatos
konowalchuk-gratton-laperreire
laaksoonon-hendrickson-hinote
worrell-mclean-hahl

or option 2 with no forsberg

konowalchuk-sakic-hedjuk
tanguay-damphousse-svatos
laaksoonon-gratton-laperreire
worrell-hendrickson-hinote

either way looks like the avs have one if not the best forward crops in the league on paper.

Old
08-19-2004, 01:02 AM
Captain Conservative

Quote:

Brilliant comment. Please tell me what homegrown player could play a top six forward role in place of Damphousse? There isn't one. In my mind, getting a veteran who can fill that role and who showed up big in last years post season is a good move.

Old
08-19-2004, 01:25 AM
iAvs
JUST WIN

Solid pickup for the Avalanche. Lacroix has done a great job in the offseason.

Old
08-19-2004, 01:39 AM
Law Dawg

You can't argue much with the signing, Lacroix got Damphousse pretty reasonably and only for one year. If he doesn't work out like Kariya or Selanne or is hitting the skids after the season you can wave him off to the airport. It's another example of how well PL does his job .....

Old
08-19-2004, 02:16 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

So does this mean that it's official Forsberg won't return to the NHL anymore?

Old
08-19-2004, 02:20 AM
hockeyfan125
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ott = Snott
So does this mean that it's official Forsberg won't return to the NHL anymore?
i think is pretty obvious....especially with this signing
i would think vinny was going to be 3rd line center for avs, but they already have gratton.
forsberg is making an official decision after world cup, so i guess the waiting game is on.

Old
08-19-2004, 02:29 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
i think is pretty obvious....especially with this signing
i would think vinny was going to be 3rd line center for avs, but they already have gratton.
forsberg is making an official decision after world cup, so i guess the waiting game is on.
We'll see.. They're definitely a fair bit weaker without Forsberg. Damphouse is a decent and proven playmaker, but aside from leadership does not bring any other interesting qualities. Without Forsberg, the Avs are extremely soft up front. But we'll see how it all pans out..

Old
08-19-2004, 02:46 AM
fcbarcelona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ott = Snott
We'll see.. They're definitely a fair bit weaker without Forsberg. Damphouse is a decent and proven playmaker, but aside from leadership does not bring any other interesting qualities. Without Forsberg, the Avs are extremely soft up front. But we'll see how it all pans out..
soft? i beg to differ. less dangerous offensively is the words you're looking for. not soft.

Closed Thread