HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Mika Zibanejad or Mark Scheifele?

Old
09-19-2011, 02:53 PM
Pilgore88

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
How is either a "reach". How do you know where other teams had them ranked?

All these Senator fans jumping in here saying Scheifele is a reach are being ludicrious. He went #7, one pick behind Mika. This is a very realistic and fair comparison, considering they both went in the Top 10 of the same draft. God as a fanbase you are becoming unbearable in the prospects sub-section.
When one is generally ranked much lower then he went, it is considered a reach, it doesnt mean it wasnt a good pick. Erik Karlsson was a reach at the time, but now has turned into a very good pick. Scheifele as of now is a reach, nobody expected him to go at 7, many people were hoping to grab him at 15 or so, i.e he was expected to be around later then 7th.

He could, and very well might seeing his yearly jump turn out to be a great pick at 7th, but as of now would be considered a reach.

Pilgore88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 02:58 PM
bert

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Sigh another thread that brings Couturier in the thread. Seriously, I am glad you guys love Z, but Flyers fans and management are THRILLED to have Couturier. We do pretty well drafting in the first round, so Im not scared at all how he does.

And Zbad is going to be a 4th line player.

See I can play that game also. But seriously, if you guys drafted Couturier, I bet you would be saying the same thing about how Z will never make it, 3rd line player at best, etc etc. I really like Z and think he is going to be a good player, but try to be alittle less bias please.
Were the flyers even prepared to draft a player in the top 10? They probably didnt pre scout the highend picks like they did the guys in the mid to late 20's. From all the scouts and inteviewers I have seen they think Couturier went early only because Philly didnt have a detailed list of the top 10 picks.

Ottawa had Zib number 4 overall. I know it was just a rookie tourny but his style of play is exactly the type of prospect this organization is lacking.

bert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 03:03 PM
Le Golie

Without commenting on Zabinejad, I know the Jets management is thrilled with what they've seen from Scheifele so far. They feel like they stole him at 7th.

Le Golie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 03:04 PM
Andre Benoit Bawls
What, Me Worry?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bert View Post
Ottawa had Zib number 4 overall.
********. This is a total lie. Sens had him 6th and that is almost definite. I am pretty sure our draft list was something like 1) RNH, 2) Huberdeau, 3) Larsson, 4) Landeskog, 5) Strome, 6) Zibanejad. Maybe the order is off but that top 5 is pretty definite.
My fellow Sens fans have been totally embarrassing in this thread, especially since it says who would YOU pick, not where was a dude ranked... and because of the massive homerism overall.

Andre Benoit Bawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 03:08 PM
Ondrej The Giant

Can't say I have seen Zbad play recently but Scheifele sure has some sick hands and insane hockey IQ. He looked amazing in the Young Stars tourney. I am 100% behind the draft pick so far.

Ondrej The Giant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 03:11 PM
JAS 39 Gripen

Give me Scheifmeister ahead of Djurgårdens crappy product!

JAS 39 Gripen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 03:27 PM
aqsw
PM

Right now Z easily. 5 years from now it could be a totally different story. Scheifele just gets better and better every year.

aqsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 03:31 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
Quote:
Originally Posted by The OttoMan View Post
********. This is a total lie. Sens had him 6th and that is almost definite. I am pretty sure our draft list was something like 1) RNH, 2) Huberdeau, 3) Larsson, 4) Landeskog, 5) Strome, 6) Zibanejad. Maybe the order is off but that top 5 is pretty definite.
My fellow Sens fans have been totally embarrassing in this thread, especially since it says who would YOU pick, not where was a dude ranked... and because of the massive homerism overall.

Agreed. Strome was ahead of Zbad for sure on the Sens draft board.

None the less im very happy with what i've seen from Zbad so far. I'll wait to comment though because I love Scheifele aswell and I think he's going to be fantastic.

WasTeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 03:33 PM
Topside

Quote:
I would pick Zibanejad, because Scheifele was ranked much lower. Those rankings are done by experts so why wouldn't I trust them?

Topside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 03:33 PM
Asquaredx2

Hmmm. Assuming I'm the GM of the Sens? Zibanejad.

Reason being I feel he's more versatile and I feel Schiefele is a poor man's Spezza. Love Spezz but since we already have him I feel like the elements ZibNasty brings to the table are more valuable. By like 24 he could be a nightmare for opposing teams' defencemen in the playoffs. The physical skill-set he brings to the table is incredibly impressive.

Obviously I'm biased. And we haven't really had time to evaluate his offensive instincts - Schiefele could end up being much better in that regard. But for now we're very happy with the pick.

Asquaredx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 03:39 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleatus View Post
Hard to say. Scheifele because Winterpeg is awesome.
First person to ever say Winnipeg is awesome. Winnipegers, give me a break, I was born there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugNugget View Post
...Zibanejad was a bit of a reach, too.
He was a 5-10 "wildcard". Most Sens fans knew as soon as Strome went at #5, Zibanejad was likely our guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSE View Post
The only reach was Bryan Murray reaching over to high five his draft team for a great pick in Z.

Z all day everyday.
Still think they got #6 on their list, but they ought to be pretty happy about it.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 03:44 PM
Pietraneglo222
WwWwW

Quote:
Landeskog #4? please you're embarrassing yourself. They had Mika above Lando for sure.

Pietraneglo222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 03:54 PM
Andre Benoit Bawls
What, Me Worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immanuel View Post
Landeskog #4? please you're embarrassing yourself. They had Mika above Lando for sure.
Not sure if this is serious or youre just saying Landeskog is too low at #4, I just know at one point the Sens definitely had Larsson #1, I assume RNH is higher than Lando, and the Sens supposedly targeted Huberdeau in trading up. Thats where Landeskog being #4 comes from. As I said, I am doing nothing more than making a random guess.

Andre Benoit Bawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 04:22 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

I haven't seen enough of Z to compare the two, but Scheifele looks like a solid pick.

Plus he was Canada's best player at the U18's. I'm interested to see what he can do at the WJC.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 04:27 PM
4thliner*

Quote:
Sigh another thread that brings Couturier in the thread. Seriously, I am glad you guys love Z, but Flyers fans and management are THRILLED to have Couturier. We do pretty well drafting in the first round, so Im not scared at all how he does.

See I can play that game also. But seriously, if you guys drafted Couturier, I bet you would be saying the same thing about how Z will never make it, 3rd line player at best, etc etc. I really like Z and think he is going to be a good player, but try to be alittle less bias please.
Dude, Zbad was the dominant player in the Oshawa rookie camp between 4 NHL rookie teams. It wasn't just scoring. His intensity, speed, skill, physicality and overall game.

Ottawa was never gonna draft Couts, not after they walked out in his series finally in Hull last summer with still the 3rd period to go and his season on the line.

As for the 2 players everyone knows Zbad has endless motor and compete level. He is also big and fast and skilled.

Couts is not a very good skater and on top of that he looks lazy.

4thliner* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 04:29 PM
SpezDispenser

He's gonna be good, there's no doubt about it. Dripping with skill - more so than Z-Bad I would say, but there's an X factor about Zibanejad that makes him a much more valuable prospect (to the Sens anyway). We needed a guy who was built like a brisk ****house and was willing to drive the net as our 2nd line C - not saying Scheifele can't develop into that, but Z-Bad's already there.

For a team like the Jets, I would say they made an intriguing choice, nothing wrong there - I would imagine it was between him and Couturier, so there's nothing to lose there. For the Sens, I have a feeling they were looking at either high end skill in Strome or Huberdeau (if they fell) or a power forward like Landeskog or Zibanejad.

And so far...they've looked pretty smart grabbing Zibanejad - even if it's reeeeeal early.

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 04:33 PM
4thliner*

Scheifele could be the next Ryan Johansson easily. But then again Johansson is still just as unproven prospect.

If you are hoping for a HR I could see why you would take him ahead of Couturier.

4thliner* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 04:44 PM
surixon

Its a very good comparison. I had the opportunity to watch each of them play in their respective prospect tourneys. Both finished with 2g and 2a and both looked dominant for the most part albiet in different ways. Z is a terrific skater and has a unique blend of skill and strength which makes him a handfull to contain. Mark showed off some incredibly sick hands and passing skills to go with a very hard and excellent shot, and terrific awarness. Both players also showed well on the back check and in their own zone. I would say that z is more ready at this point do to his speed and strength, whereas Mark still needs to put on some more weight and continue to improve his skating. It will be very interesting look at where these 2 players are at in 5 years time. For my money there wont be much seperating them.

surixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 04:51 PM
TheRollingPuck
Free fallin'

Mika Zibanejad. Not that difficult of a decision. A two-way center with size.

TheRollingPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 04:52 PM
xking23
Petersson

Quote:

So wait, in a thread started by (what can be assumed as an Oiler fan) saying Zibanejad or Schiefele, and a (presumed) leafs fan brings up Couturier, you are insulting Sens fans for being homers. This thread has nothing to do with Couturier, it has to do with Zibanejad and Schiefele. And when Sens management walks out of a Couturier game early because they are unimpressed, it shows something about who they were going to pick. Almost every sens fan knew it was not going to be Couturier when we walked up to the podium. But once again, Couturier has nothing to do with this thread, and we would not have picked him, we did not want him. You can try and act all high and mighty because (some) sens fans get excited over prospects, and you can try and bring them down to earth, but when you bring up Couturier, when he is not involved in the discussion makes you (assumed flyers fan) seem very petty.

And now that that is all out.

For a blank franchise I'd go with Zibanejad, due to more guaranteed impact at the NHL level. But if I needed a superstar center and already had a solid team I'd much rather go with Scheifele. As well though if I had a number one center (Spezza) than Zibanejad being able to play a more physical game on the 2nd line would be better than two offensive minded players (while Scheifele can become more physical, and fit a 2nd line role I feel he is better suited for the top spot with Burmistrov playing number 2)

xking23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 05:56 PM
Hale The Villain

Homerism aside I'd take Zbad.

But Scheifele is impressing me a lot too. It's a lot closer than people think.

Hale The Villain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 06:11 PM
Pick Six
@Lafortune_FC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thliner View Post
Oh man, there is a reason dude fell.

Player that lacks motor and compete level is a huge risk. At best you have an underachieving 3rd or 2nd line type guy who you wanna always see do more.

Think of Staal in Pitts minus skating and some intensity, plus little more playmaking.
You can't be serious.

Pick Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 06:38 PM
Karlssonlee

To be fair,

Ottawa had Schiefele ranked really high as well. I heard rumours that they would have liked to of traded up to draft him in the early teens, if he was still available. They didn't expect him to go that early.

I think they have similar skill sets, but I like Zibby's intensity more.

Karlssonlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 07:22 PM
Lainlight
Hands down AINEC

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqsw View Post
Right now Z easily. 5 years from now it could be a totally different story. Scheifele just gets better and better every year.
Really, he does? What if all players got better every year...that would be a sight to behold

Lainlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 08:35 PM
Afro Thunder*

Mika Smith is pretty good.

Afro Thunder* is offline   Reply With Quote