HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

The Pittsburgher Thread: Pitt Fall

Closed Thread

Old
08-03-2011, 11:29 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
The Pittsburgher Thread: Pitt Fall

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Old
08-04-2011, 12:36 AM
Mario_is_BACK!!
ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Mario_is_BACK!! Send a message via MSN to Mario_is_BACK!!
"Get off my lawn!"

Old
08-04-2011, 05:12 AM
Riggs
Kaptain

Old
08-04-2011, 07:47 AM
DJ Spinoza

Well, Morton's sinker is back.

Hanrahan wants the fans not to give up, but the little bit of hope I had died last night while I was at the game.

I will say that despite whatever snide comments people around town keep making, Pedro looks even better at the plate with some protection in front of him. Strikeouts are just going to happen, but he's obviously seeing the ball better and his swing is also much better than pre-injury.

Old
08-04-2011, 09:11 AM
Gold Diamond
World Champ

Head below water once again. Poor Buccos.

Old
08-04-2011, 09:29 AM
Biz Nasty
Cooke 4 Lady Byng

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johannes Climacus View Post
Well, Morton's sinker is back.

Hanrahan wants the fans not to give up, but the little bit of hope I had died last night while I was at the game.

I will say that despite whatever snide comments people around town keep making, Pedro looks even better at the plate with some protection in front of him. Strikeouts are just going to happen, but he's obviously seeing the ball better and his swing is also much better than pre-injury.
Charlie was dirty last night...I'm going tonight and Saturday so hopefully MacDonald can bring it tonight.

I love that guys like Hanrahan are speaking up and taking some pride in the team rather than just saying "to hell with it"...it shows that they are still motivated to get this turned around, even when the fans seem to be writing them off.

Pedro has only been back for about a week and a half and has looked much better at the plate. What I worry about is if he is pushing himself too hard...I don't know if anyone else notices but his facial expressions are ones of a guy that is trying to make an impact everytime he goes to the plate. When he gets a hit or something, it literally looks like the weight of the world has been lifted off him...the kid just needs to relax and have some fun

Old
08-04-2011, 10:11 AM
Ziggyjoe21

Send a message via AIM to Ziggyjoe21
Pedro Alvarez looks like a fat Tiger Woods.

This is all I have to contribute to this thread.

Old
08-04-2011, 10:34 AM
cassius

Pedro is one of the most underwhelming 2nd overall pick in recent memory. If he comes to camp in shape and ready to go, who knows what happens....

He's out of shape, a defensive liability at 3rd, and he strikes out on seemingly every AB.

I just don't see the work ethic from him that you like to see from top prospects. He's the anti Sid.

Old
08-04-2011, 11:11 AM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Hopefully Pedro follows Pablo Sandoval's path of dedicating himself to getting in shape and coming back with a strong season. The Panda lost 40 lbs and also got stronger. That is what Pedro has to do.

Old
08-04-2011, 11:51 AM
Jaded-Fan

Old
08-04-2011, 12:15 PM
Silas Robertson
Hey, all in. Jack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post

Old
08-04-2011, 12:26 PM
Mordax
Abso-Buc'n-lutely

Old
08-04-2011, 01:39 PM
Ziggyjoe21

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassius View Post
Pedro is one of the most underwhelming 2nd overall pick in recent memory. If he comes to camp in shape and ready to go, who knows what happens....

He's out of shape, a defensive liability at 3rd, and he strikes out on seemingly every AB.

I just don't see the work ethic from him that you like to see from top prospects. He's the anti Sid.
This is just an assumption, but I doubt he'd be this bad if another team drafted and developed him. Pirates just don't have a track record of successfull high draft picks... or any draft picks for that matter.

Old
08-04-2011, 01:49 PM
WarriorScholar

Expecting Pedro to get his **** together by camp next year.

Old
08-04-2011, 03:10 PM
DJ Spinoza

I really do not understand all of this "Pedro is out of shape talk." Have any of you actually seen Prince Fielder or Pablo Sandoval, among others?

Old
08-04-2011, 03:16 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johannes Climacus View Post
I really do not understand all of this "Pedro is out of shape talk." Have any of you actually seen Prince Fielder or Pablo Sandoval, among others?
Yeah, Babe Ruth too.

Pedro doesn't suck because he's heavy. He sucks because of his approach and lack of plate discipline.

Old
08-04-2011, 03:22 PM
Ziggyjoe21

I didn't say he's out of shape, or that it's the reason for his struggles. Baseball players don't need to be in shape to be good. It seems like Pedro's struggles stem from other factors.

Old
08-04-2011, 03:23 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Sandavol was told lose the weight or lose your job. Panda was at 270, now around 235. I definitely think it is hampering Pedro to be so heavy. If you can play with the weight and execute like Fielder, than it doesn't become an issue. Is it more perception than fact. It could be. But why not be in shape? Hurdle has already referenced the need for Pedro to be in better physical condition. (He wasn't' talking quad recovery, but shape..)

Last edited by td_ice: 08-04-2011 at 03:28 PM.
Old
08-04-2011, 03:46 PM
WickedWrister

Agreed with Captain Hook, I'm more concerned with Pedro's plate discipline and approach than his weight. I don't have any stats to back this up, but doesn't it seem like Pedro falls behind in counts more than any other Pirate? He has to constantly battle out of 0-2 and 1-2 counts every game it seems like.

Old
08-04-2011, 03:55 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedWrister View Post
Agreed with Captain Hook, I'm more concerned with Pedro's plate discipline and approach than his weight. I don't have any stats to back this up, but doesn't it seem like Pedro falls behind in counts more than any other Pirate? He has to constantly battle out of 0-2 and 1-2 counts every game it seems like.
I agree that Pedro's problems are many. And are not all about his conditioning. Alarming is not being able to get around on fastballs that are 91-92 mph. Agreed on falling behind in the count. Opposing pitchers are coming right after him, and he is not being aggressive enough early.

Last edited by td_ice: 08-04-2011 at 04:17 PM.
Old
08-04-2011, 05:56 PM
DJ Spinoza

He's looked fine to me against non-elite left handed national league pitching, and even had some good at-bats during that stretch as well. Did you guys expect four or five home runs by now? Some of you seem to be drawing big conclusions from a small sample size during which he hasn't hit that poorly. A few hitless games, but also a home run off the best lefty in the league and maybe in baseball. I'm not alarmed. He needs to drive some balls better, but he also needs MLB at-bats to continue to improve. Having a fe bad at-bats and strikeouts is part of that process.

Old
08-04-2011, 06:20 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

J-Mac looking good early. Great catch by Paul in the 1st to rob a batter of extra bases.6 up and 6 down for McDonald.

EDIT: Damn, Soto goes yard. 1-0 Cubbies.

EDIT: Kinda surprised that no Pirates pitchers have knocked down any Cub's batters, considering the 6 homers the other day. Derek Lee and Garrett Jones have each hit 2 hrs in this series, and both have been thrown at by Cubs pitchers. Lee getting hit, and is out today because of it.

EDIT: Ugh. Getting ugly. Pena with a bomb. And Dewitt with a 2 run shot. 4-0 Cub's. Not good.

Last edited by td_ice: 08-04-2011 at 06:55 PM.
Old
08-04-2011, 06:59 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Ouch... the wheels have completely fallen off. I'm proud of you, Buccos, but it hurts this much more after the amazing story they were writing this season.

The proof, however, is in the pudding. This team has a couple of players to build around. I cannot wait for the future.

Old
08-04-2011, 07:36 PM
WarriorScholar

... not so fast my friend.

Old
08-04-2011, 07:42 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Buc's with a 6 spot in the 4th. Jones with a double, Ludwick singles him home. Pedro with a hard shot single, then Doumit singles to load the bases. Paul hits a grounder, fielders choice, scores a run. Wood walks to load the bases again. J-Mac hits a double to clear the bases. McCutchen doubles him home.

6-4 Buc's.

So nice to have an offensive outburst like that.

Closed Thread