HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Need skates - have odd shaped feet

Old
12-26-2011, 10:30 AM
allan5oh
Adv stats blowhard

vCash: 50
Need skates - have odd shaped feet

- intermediate skill
- 5'7"
- 165 lbs
- I wear shoe size 8.5, but only because of the width

I've always struggled even finding regular shoes that fit decently. The length is about a size 6.0, and the shoe thing says I'm a EE. I usually need about size 8.5 wide shoes just so my foot can go in.

I also have a pretty pronounced heel instep depth, and somewhat of a heel backstay. Heel width is medium.

I went to both Sportchek and PLH and tried just about everything in the store. The only two skates that seemed to come close are the Graf 670's and Supremes. Both were size 6.0 EE. Technically I'm a 5.0 or 5.5 EE but none of those skates fit even close. The toes would overlap.

The Supremes had enough toe box room, but I feel as though it put too much pressure on the top of my foot and the heel area wasn't comfortable. The rear of the skate was also too perpendicular. They just overall didn't feel comfortable.

The 670 fit fantastic, heel fit snug because the back of the skate leans forward, width was great and the instep felt good. They fit much nicer than the supremes. The problem is the toe box, there's a rough spot by my pinky toe and it was touching that rough spot all the time.

I'm wondering if I can get the 670s modified. Are there any other skates you guys could recommend?

allan5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 11:01 AM
ArrogantOwl

vCash: 500
I disbelieve that you have a hard time finding regular shoes... I'm a 7.5EEEE. You can't really modify the toebox, but try fitting skates with a think skate sock or dress sock as you must try them on with what you are going to wear when you skate including orthotics.

ArrogantOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 03:00 PM
Stickmata

If the hot spot you're feeling on the Grafs is on the part that is the boot just before the toe box, then it can be punched out. If it's the actual hard shell of the toe box it can't. I had to have my 703's punched out a bit on the right skate right at the pinky toe. The key is not to overdo it, as the skates will stretch a little as they break in. Don't overdo it and punch it too much at first.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 06:47 PM
allan5oh
Adv stats blowhard

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm going to head back to PLH and try 6.5 wides in the 670's. Also inquire if the 6.0 wide can be punched out. If those don't work I'm going to make the guy work hard for his commission. I've tried probably about 15 different pairs between Sportchek and PLH, but clearly that's not enough!

Old
12-27-2011, 09:06 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I thought that I had really wide feet until I got sized properly. Turns out they're fairly narrow except for right at/before my toes. Once I got sized properly and put in a narrow skate then had the forefoot punched out a couple times it was magic.

Side note, I think my feet are narrower now after skating for so long. I went from size 10 shoes down to closer to 8 a lot of the time. Or maybe I prefer a tighter fitting shoe.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 01:46 AM
allan5oh
Adv stats blowhard

So I'm a skate size 5.5 but slightly wider than a EE at that size. Settled on a pair of Graf 605's in size 6.5 wide. A little too long IMO but they fit my feet really well.

Old
12-29-2011, 02:00 AM
thedonger

a bit late to the party but did you check out bauer flexlites? those are one of the widest skates(the other being easton s17/s12) i've tried on in the forefoot(for comparison, i've tried on supreme one75(older model), one100, reebok 9k, ccm v08, ccm u+cl/12, graf g75(also up there in width with flexlite and easton stealth), x60(my current skates), graf g35(replacement skates for my x60's since they're on their last legs). also, the flexlites have a relatively pronounced(for bauer) and narrowish heel which surprised me.

thedonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 04:01 AM
nullterm

vCash: 800
Try Reebok size E's. I'm the same way but my Reebok 6Ks were the best fit for the shape of my feet.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 11:37 AM
allan5oh
Adv stats blowhard

Not sure if I tried the flexlites, I'm sure I put on 15+ skates. The problem is they(sportchek and PHL) didn't carry all models in my size. Sometimes I'd have to try a size 7.5 or something.