HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

what do you get when you combine ovechkin and crosby (Fantasy Hockey)

Old
09-20-2011, 12:12 PM
BraveNewWild

vCash: 500
I like the idea of two leagues also, when we did 16 last year it felt to me like it was a bit too big.

Plus I think a smaller league might promote more action.

BraveNewWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 02:53 PM
Pajicz

Send a message via Yahoo to Pajicz
I'd prefer one bigger league, but it doesn't really matter for me.

Pajicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 03:23 PM
Vashanesh
My best outfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
I thought Yahoo's cap was 16 teams? Was I mistaken on that or were you using a different site?
I had no idea that Yahoo's cap was 16, I've only used it for one or two single year leagues and hated it.

I've been on ESPN for 5ish years now.

Vashanesh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 03:45 PM
Puhis
@Puhis46

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
I think we should use ESPN. I hate Yahoo, and haven't bothered with the Football league because of the horrible user interface. And the fact that I have work to do. But I'd be able to spare time for fantasy hockey for sure, because it's a) very interesting and b) I know something about it.

Puhis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 04:00 PM
nickschultzfan

I'd be down if it was on yahoo.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 04:43 PM
FUBAR McDangles

vCash: 710
Hmm...maybe do a league on yahoo and a league on ESPN? Some like one site more than the other, and that might keep us from doing a large (14+) team league.

FUBAR McDangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 05:07 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

If I remember correctly, last year we did one 16 person league on Yahoo and one 8 team league on ESPN.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 07:03 PM
forthewild

so far this is what we have for people willing to participate

Me
generic user
dc2600
this providence
patp14
tyratoku
gopherstate
squidz
jarick
bravenewwild
sharppi
vashenesh
pajicz
bozak911
puhis
nickschultzfan

total count of 16 one person has the preference of espn over yahoo but most like yahoo.

would you guys want to do a 16 man league, and those who want a smaller we can do a espn one as well?

also what would be more desired daily or weekly roster tinkering, i think weekly would be more likely since some days you can't get to it but i'm open to what ever.

we also need to come to a conclusion on rosters

would something like

lw c rw
lw c rw
fw, fw
d d
d d
G
G
bn
bn
bn
bn
bn
bn

work, i know the bn is big but i like the idea of taking a chance on a rookie or a player you like with out having to feel gimped.

other option would be

fw fw fw
fw fw fw
d d
d d
g
g

with bench any size

i'm very open to ideas and want to make this as fun as possible, also anyone else who wants to play do voice your desire, just because we have 16 doesn't mean we can't have multiple leagues.

forthewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 07:09 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

If someone else wants to get in on fantasy hockey, I'm fine with sitting it out.

GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 08:55 PM
saywut

I would consider playing (yahoo) but don't really care. As jarick pointed out it's quite time consuming to set rosters.

saywut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 02:35 AM
Rimbe

We get Mikael Granlund

Rimbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 10:07 AM
edgevolution
GO USA!

I'm really interested. Haven't been around in a couple days and didn't see this thread...

edgevolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 12:12 PM
MNman

I'll join if there is room, not a big deal if it's full though, I've got another league getting up for hockey, but it's smaller (about 7 teams)

It would be fun to do a larger one as well.

MNman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 01:34 PM
Spawnisen
Believe.

Im in! should do keeper!

Spawnisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 02:40 PM
Pajicz

Send a message via Yahoo to Pajicz
Weekly roster changes would really be better, as people also have other things to do...

Pajicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 02:55 PM
Puhis
@Puhis46

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajicz View Post
Weekly roster changes would really be better, as people also have other things to do...
This.

Puhis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 03:08 PM
Randy BoBandy
Cheeseburger Party

I would definitely be in for the league. I actually like larger leagues then you actually get to pick some sleeper players for your team. I think it is kind of boring when your whole team is all stars. It is fun finding diamonds in the rough.

Anyways here is my other team. Just drafted last night...

Forwards
Ovechkin
Staal
Tavares
Kessel
Pavelski
Selanne
van Riemsdyk
Moulson
Leino

Defense
Green
Yandle
Phaneuf
Wisniewski
Carle

Goalies
Rinne
Niemi

Bench
Gionta
Booth
Jones
Berglund
Huselius

It is a 10 team league. I think I have a lot of players that are bound to have a breakout year. What do you guys think?

Randy BoBandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 03:15 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

I don't know that I'd like weekly roster changes. It really takes a lot of the bench value out of things. I'll play whatever format we decide on, but I think we should definitely have a daily league as well as a weekly league.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 03:16 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patp14 View Post
I would definitely be in for the league. I actually like larger leagues then you actually get to pick some sleeper players for your team. I think it is kind of boring when your whole team is all stars. It is fun finding diamonds in the rough.

Anyways here is my other team. Just drafted last night...

Forwards
Ovechkin
Staal
Tavares
Kessel
Pavelski
Selanne
van Riemsdyk
Moulson
Leino

Defense
Green
Yandle
Phaneuf
Wisniewski
Carle

Goalies
Rinne
Niemi

Bench
Gionta
Booth
Jones
Berglund
Huselius

It is a 10 team league. I think I have a lot of players that are bound to have a breakout year. What do you guys think?
I don't know that I'd have picked Niemi, unless there wasn't much for options at that point. Unless you have "losses" as a stat of course. Which Staal is that (Eric or Jordan)?

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 05:02 PM
Randy BoBandy
Cheeseburger Party

Quote:
I don't know that I'd have picked Niemi, unless there wasn't much for options at that point. Unless you have "losses" as a stat of course. Which Staal is that (Eric or Jordan)?
I know I waited a little too long to get a backup goalie but i figured the Sharks always win a lot of games so it should be alright seeing as Antero Ninnemaki. I did miss my first 5 pics tho, time was flying while working on the truck last night. I wasn't too mad except it picked Green way too early. And it is Eric Staal.

I got David Jones on the bench right now and have been debating on dropping him and picking up Peter Mueller. I have a good feeling about him. Plus hes a hometown boy haha. O and i dropped Huselius and picked up Stepan.

I tried trading Kessel for Heatley straight up but was denied. I really wanna pick up atleast one Wild player.

Randy BoBandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 06:02 PM
FUBAR McDangles

vCash: 710
Quote:
I don't know that I'd like weekly roster changes. It really takes a lot of the bench value out of things. I'll play whatever format we decide on, but I think we should definitely have a daily league as well as a weekly league.
I agree with squidz. Personally, I have no problem taking a half hour out of my Sunday to set up the daily lineups for the week. Most of the time, it's a simple matter of going through the days and benching the players who don't have a game that day.

I'd do weekly if that's what the consensus is, but I think it would make it less interesting/engaging if it's just a passive thing. Sometimes a player goes on a hot streak, you see it one night and you're able to go in and play him for the next two games. If it's weekly, you see him rack up the points on the bench and ou can't change it until the next week.

Either way, if we split it up into two leagues I'll probably do both. Can't get enough fantasy hockey

FUBAR McDangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 06:17 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Not sure how fantasy hockey works, but is there a way of not having a bench at all?

Obviously this would depend on how scoring works as I'm not too terribly familiar with it. If it's a weekly thing, head to head, or whatever. By not having a bench, you eliminate the need to move players in and out of the line-up that don't have games that day. How this would work in terms of scoring I'm not sure as some guys would be getting more games one week and less others.

If something like this were possible, the only moves you'd need to make would be pick-ups/drops and trades. But again, I'm not familiar with fantasy hockey so I'm not sure how this would work...

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 06:38 PM
Generic User
Dynamic as they come

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
Not sure how fantasy hockey works, but is there a way of not having a bench at all?

Obviously this would depend on how scoring works as I'm not too terribly familiar with it. If it's a weekly thing, head to head, or whatever. By not having a bench, you eliminate the need to move players in and out of the line-up that don't have games that day. How this would work in terms of scoring I'm not sure as some guys would be getting more games one week and less others.

If something like this were possible, the only moves you'd need to make would be pick-ups/drops and trades. But again, I'm not familiar with fantasy hockey so I'm not sure how this would work...
Don't really like the idea. Think if a player like Parise, Staal, Getzlaf (ie really valuable players that aren't on the "can't cut list") sprains something and is only out for 3-4 weeks. They're too valuable to drop and will hamper your entire lineup for the duration of their injury should you rightfully choose not to get rid of them.

I think having 4 bench spots is ideal. One for a C, one for a LW, one for a RW and one for a Goalie. Defense is abundant and usually doesn't warrant a bench spot when you can pick up a worthwhile plug anytime.

Maybe having a two separate points leagues would work? They're pretty fun. Obviously there would be a max games played and a max transaction limit for people who know how to exploit (PIMs, etc.). With two separate leagues everyone can still have a strong team with plenty of FA options. And we could come up with different scoring methods than what it is currently. 3 points for a goal, 2 for an assist, .5 per penalty minute, .2 per shot, etc. These leagues tend to stay close, active and competitive.

Just throwin' crap at the wall and seeing what sticks. Thoughts?

Generic User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 06:45 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Ah, I see your point. Although if you keep the rosters smaller, there would still be decent options out on the street, in theory. And with hockey having IR, you could still pick someone up. In all honesty, either way, if that type of player is out of your line-up your team's going to take a hit.

But I can see the limitations. I guess someone could exploit the system as well by picking up and dropping players almost daily to get more games in than some of the less active owners.

this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 10:08 AM
Orava

vCash: 812
I'm in (if there's still room?). I hope it'll be more active than last year.

Orava is offline   Reply With Quote