HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Preseason #1 & 2: Flames def. Canucks 5-1 / Canucks def. Flames 4-3

Old
09-20-2011, 03:08 PM
canada1824

vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to canada1824
i love how the 7pm PST game is on NHL Network down here in the states...in HD. This is going to be awesome.

canada1824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 03:48 PM
Reverend Mayhem
I would be awesomer.

Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbello View Post
I had a random thought before falling asleep last night. Malhotra was drafted what 7th overall by the Rangers, fans and media thought he would develop into their number 1 or 2 centre. He had won everything in the OHL. I think John Mukler was his coach and he was being criticized by the media because in Malhotra's second year he was benched or played on the lower lines, and I believe Mukler then said something like Malhotra's not a top 6 player but a 3rd liner, a very good 3rd liner. Anyways and now we see and appreciate Malhotra for what he is, not a top end scorer like New York expected but a smart hockey player, good leader and a great face off man.
I'm wondering if we're doing the same thing with Cody Hodgson. Sometimes our expectations (which could very well be unrealistic) can cloud our judgment and we can miss the value of Cody for who he really is. I think non of us can doubt his hard work? His drive? His willingness to win? He has should that all through his OHL career and the especially this past summer. My expectation is that Cody will be a smart player and work hard to always improve! I want to be able to appreciate what Cody brings, not what I imagine him to bring! Anyways gotta get ready for work!
That is an interesting thought, but did Manny ever lead a WJC in scoring? It doesn't mean everything, but when you beat out a guy like Tavares in that same WJC you must be something special.

Reverend Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 03:56 PM
crazyforhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
Weird thing to do if they do want to see Hodgson succeed.

Too bad I can't watch, I have night class in New West.
you put him out their in a preseason game if they are responsible defensivly and perform well overall..... \\it goes along way to alleviating any fears of playing him in reg season

crazyforhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 04:02 PM
crazyforhockey

Looking forward to see how the Nolan,ebbett,Sturm line does

crazyforhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 04:11 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Going to the Saddledome tonight - can't believe I'm paying money to watch a roster that likely has zero guys that will be in the opening night lineup...

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 04:12 PM
Cogburn

Dimitrakos....as in Niko Dimitrakos?

I missed somthing here.

Cogburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 04:14 PM
Back in 94
In Gillis I trust

vCash: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogburn View Post
Dimitrakos....as in Niko Dimitrakos?

I missed somthing here.
gillis signed him to a pto a couple of days ago

Back in 94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 04:23 PM
npham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
Going to the Saddledome tonight - can't believe I'm paying money to watch a roster that likely has zero guys that will be in the opening night lineup...
Haha me too, I just got a sweet deal on tickets but there's no way I'd pay full price for this game.

npham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 04:46 PM
Cocoa Crisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbello View Post
I had a random thought before falling asleep last night. Malhotra was drafted what 7th overall by the Rangers, fans and media thought he would develop into their number 1 or 2 centre. He had won everything in the OHL. I think John Mukler was his coach and he was being criticized by the media because in Malhotra's second year he was benched or played on the lower lines, and I believe Mukler then said something like Malhotra's not a top 6 player but a 3rd liner, a very good 3rd liner. Anyways and now we see and appreciate Malhotra for what he is, not a top end scorer like New York expected but a smart hockey player, good leader and a great face off man.
I'm wondering if we're doing the same thing with Cody Hodgson. Sometimes our expectations (which could very well be unrealistic) can cloud our judgment and we can miss the value of Cody for who he really is. I think non of us can doubt his hard work? His drive? His willingness to win? He has should that all through his OHL career and the especially this past summer. My expectation is that Cody will be a smart player and work hard to always improve! I want to be able to appreciate what Cody brings, not what I imagine him to bring! Anyways gotta get ready for work!
I don't think the parallels are there. Hodgson effectively doubled Malhotra's output in the OHL in approximately the same number of games and at the same age. Hodgson should be the better offensive player of the two. A better comparison for how Hodgson might project as an NHLer is one mentioned many times before: Daymond Langkow. Similar size and build, similar hockey sense. Langkow carved out a nice career as a top 6 forward with two-way acumen. His highest offensive output was nearly ppg in '06-'07 and was a reliable 55-60pt player for much of his peak. It's entirely possible Hodgson turns out like Langkow, which is an excellent return for a #10 pick IMO.

Cocoa Crisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 04:53 PM
StrictlyCommercial

vCash: 766
Looks like i'll be watching the game in calgary since i don't have Sportsnet pacific here in Ottawa. This is going to be a tough year for watching hockey

StrictlyCommercial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 04:55 PM
CanucksOo

Quote:
Originally Posted by canada1824 View Post
i love how the 7pm PST game is on NHL Network down here in the states...in HD. This is going to be awesome.
Are you by any chance on Comcast? It seems like I don't get NHLN anymore with Center Ice (I did last year though with digital starter). Was wondering if this just changed this year or if it was just a promotion..?

[edit] Nevermind, confirmed it was a promotion. Just got another one from Comcast. All set for the season now!

Last edited by CanucksOo: 09-20-2011 at 05:48 PM.
CanucksOo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 05:03 PM
Kmode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post
Be going to the game as I'm Calgary right now. Interested to see Hodgson play in that role. No excuse for not showing something in this game. I'll be looking for it.

Flames have a lot more vets in the line-up, as is normal at home. They did this last year too if I recall correctly. Their prospect pool is thin, but damn like organizations with 2 different ideas on tonight...
Really? Have you seen his linemates and the rest of the roster? If he doesnt perform well tonight I would attribute it mainly to those reasons.

If he was playing with some solid players and linemates and didnt perform well, then I would say we have the right to criticize him. Not tonight though.

Kmode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 05:09 PM
Kmode

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrictlyCommercial View Post
Looks like i'll be watching the game in calgary since i don't have Sportsnet pacific here in Ottawa. This is going to be a tough year for watching hockey
Center Ice is only 4 payments of $50. For almost every single game of the year it is well worth it. I get it every year. It's actually an investment as it saves me from going out for beers or anything on the weekdays as Im always just content staying in and watching all sorts of hockey.

Kmode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 05:32 PM
colonel_korn
Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
Well worth the price of admission to see "The Big O" in action. Perhaps he'll dish out some Tim Horton bear hugs to those chippy Flames.

colonel_korn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 05:47 PM
Reign Nateo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmode View Post
Really? Have you seen his linemates and the rest of the roster? If he doesnt perform well tonight I would attribute it mainly to those reasons.

If he was playing with some solid players and linemates and didnt perform well, then I would say we have the right to criticize him. Not tonight though.
Enough excuses. The kid needs to show a flash of offensive ability at the NHL level. This is where it starts. Not that you write him off, but I think it's fair to expect Hodgson to show something tonight regardless of linemates. He's in tough to make this team and get on track offensively, linemates or not he should have a big effort tonight (I'm not talking stats necissarily) and I'll be dissapointed with anything less.

Reign Nateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 05:52 PM
petrishriekandgo
Why not us?

Streams:

I'm hopeful that these will work tonight for both games:

http://*************/ice-hockey

petrishriekandgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 06:05 PM
Burningblades

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrishriekandgo View Post
Streams:

I'm hopeful that these will work tonight for both games:

http://*************/ice-hockey
the 6pm game will be on the flames website streamed.

Burningblades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 06:07 PM
petrishriekandgo
Why not us?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burningblades View Post
the 6pm game will be on the flames website streamed.
SWEET!

petrishriekandgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 06:50 PM
Reverend Mayhem
I would be awesomer.

Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Unfortunately I have to miss both games due to night class.

Somebody wanna fill me in on how everybody was and the final scores when I get home at 10? Please and thanks.

Reverend Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 06:56 PM
Crows*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
Unfortunately I have to miss both games due to night class.

Somebody wanna fill me in on how everybody was and the final scores when I get home at 10? Please and thanks.
One word.

Smartphone .

Crows* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 07:00 PM
woo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanucksOo View Post
Are you by any chance on Comcast? It seems like I don't get NHLN anymore with Center Ice (I did last year though with digital starter). Was wondering if this just changed this year or if it was just a promotion..?

[edit] Nevermind, confirmed it was a promotion. Just got another one from Comcast. All set for the season now!
Just to add, if you're not on a promo, I'm pretty sure you need the sports package (about 7 or 8 bucks a month) to get NHL network.

woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 07:01 PM
Auger

So canucks.com will have the Vancouver game right? I really want to see Jensen and Nolan. Too bad they couldn't just forsake the game @ the dome and play Hodgson with Nolan and Sturm

Auger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 07:04 PM
Burningblades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auger View Post
So canucks.com will have the Vancouver game right? I really want to see Jensen and Nolan. Too bad they couldn't just forsake the game @ the dome and play Hodgson with Nolan and Sturm
probably not because it is on TV.

Burningblades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 07:29 PM
keslehr*

I'm going to this one, my dad scored 3 tickets for $90.

keslehr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 07:36 PM
BLAME CANADA*
The Canucks did it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auger View Post
They'll have the Van game in Calgary stream, not sure about the home game.

BLAME CANADA* is offline   Reply With Quote