HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The KHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The KHL Discuss the Continental Hockey League (Kontinentalnaya Hokkeynaya Liga).

Viktor Tikhonov

Old
09-20-2011, 01:38 PM
checkerdome

vCash: 500
Viktor Tikhonov

What has Viktor Tikhonov(the one born in 1930) had to say about the level of play in the KHL, or the KHL, in general?

Does his opinion still carry a lot of weight in Russia, hockeywise?

checkerdome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 02:22 PM
cska78

Send a message via AIM to cska78 Send a message via Yahoo to cska78
Quote:
Originally Posted by preissingg View Post
What has Viktor Tikhonov(the one born in 1930) had to say about the level of play in the KHL, or the KHL, in general?

Does his opinion still carry a lot of weight in Russia, hockeywise?
he's looked upon as an old-timer, his opinion doesn't carry much weight, but he's very well respected in hockey circles.

cska78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 09:25 PM
checkerdome

Quote:
Originally Posted by cska78 View Post
he's looked upon as an old-timer, his opinion doesn't carry much weight, but he's very well respected in hockey circles.
спасибо, пижон

I've never forgotten what Igor Larionov had to say about Viktor Tikhonov:

"Scotty Bowman,(head coach of the Red Wings when Larionov played there) he's a human being," Larionov said. "The difference between Scotty Bowman (and Tikhonov is), Scotty will never humiliate or insult players. That is what I care about. When Tikhonov was the head coach, the players who are living at the training camp for 11 months a year, year after year, there was a lot of humiliation and insulting for the players. That's what I don't like. Scotty is different."

Old
09-21-2011, 05:10 PM
ozo

Send a message via Skype™ to ozo
Quote:
спасибо, пижон

"Scotty Bowman,(head coach of the Red Wings when Larionov played there) he's a human being," Larionov said. "The difference between Scotty Bowman (and Tikhonov is), Scotty will never humiliate or insult players. That is what I care about. When Tikhonov was the head coach, the players who are living at the training camp for 11 months a year, year after year, there was a lot of humiliation and insulting for the players. That's what I don't like. Scotty is different."
Indeed, his former player, once a captain of Dinamo Riga said that he built his career on the bones (remains) of his players. Tikhonov viewed players as a tools, not humans.

ozo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 07:35 PM
pouskin74*

Quote:
спасибо, пижон

that was a different era and world compared to Western world. BTW Larionov did not like it but trained year after year and didnt leave because he knew pretty well, after all it was better choice than factory job!

pouskin74* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 07:56 PM
checkerdome

Quote:
Originally Posted by pouskin74 View Post
that was a different era and world compared to Western world. BTW Larionov did not like it but trained year after year and didnt leave because he knew pretty well, after all it was better choice than factory job!
What you wrote speaks to the absolute power Tikhonov had over his players.

There is a saying that "absolute power corrupts absolutely".

If you didn't like what coach Tikhonov had to say, you were welcome to surrender all the benefits of being on his hockey teams.

My understanding is the players received the rank and salary of an officer for being a member of the Russian National team or the Central Red Army team.

They no doubt also benefitted from better housing, medical care and better educational and employment opportunities for their children. Maybe even a better car.

Viktor Tikhonov had absolute power over his players as not one of them could allow themselves to risk all the benefits of being a hockey player on his teams by criticizing him or his methods.