HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pittsburgh Penguins on Twitter

Old
11-01-2011, 09:48 PM
Neeeeaaaal
Waffles Are Good

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTownFever View Post
There was a picture in the Pens locker room full of photoshopped images from tPB during their cup run I believe. Also there is a signed Charlie picture of every player on the team.

I personally love reading that site. I don't really care that they dumb it down. I read it for the laughs. Some people have to stop acting all stuck up like they are better than everybody else because they think they understand the game of hockey better. Just because the humor is junior highish doesn't make it not funny. I mean I enjoy watching movies like Dumb and Dumber, Will Ferrell movies, Family Guy, etc. and they are just as stupid and immature.

Besides they were sticking up for Malkin, and Madden was acting like the blowhard idiot he always is saying Malkin sucks. Madden couldn't take it and he deleted his Twitter account. He's also never right by and large and he thinks he's the greatest hockey mind of this generation and the best radio broadcaster ever created. I'm sorry but I'm going to side with tPB here.

I agree with your assessment of tPb to the point that I read it because I think it's funny, and regardless of the dumbing down of... well... everything. The thing that kills me is the comments and the diehard followers that the site attracts. It's just a bizarre culture. Everybody seems to think that it's some kind of exclusive club.

It is pretty cool that the guys running the blog seem to be very in touch with the community that they serve, and I really enjoy the twitter wars that they have with everyone. But at the same time, it's really easy for a couple of anonymous guys to hide behind the internet and hurl insults at one another.

As far as Madden, I've never really been a fan. I just don't understand how anyone with his personality (read: schtick) and lifestyle can possibly lend any credibility to anything. Although I do find myself falling into his side of various discussions (as opposed to other viewpoints), there isn't much that I feel I could outright agree with Mark Madden about.

But hey, at least it's not Vinny Richichi we're talking about. You want to talk about a total lack of hockey knowledge...?

Neeeeaaaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 10:26 PM
MrBurgundy
Time to move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neeeeaaaal View Post
I agree with your assessment of tPb to the point that I read it because I think it's funny, and regardless of the dumbing down of... well... everything. The thing that kills me is the comments and the diehard followers that the site attracts. It's just a bizarre culture. Everybody seems to think that it's some kind of exclusive club.

It is pretty cool that the guys running the blog seem to be very in touch with the community that they serve, and I really enjoy the twitter wars that they have with everyone. But at the same time, it's really easy for a couple of anonymous guys to hide behind the internet and hurl insults at one another.

As far as Madden, I've never really been a fan. I just don't understand how anyone with his personality (read: schtick) and lifestyle can possibly lend any credibility to anything. Although I do find myself falling into his side of various discussions (as opposed to other viewpoints), there isn't much that I feel I could outright agree with Mark Madden about.

But hey, at least it's not Vinny Richichi we're talking about. You want to talk about a total lack of hockey knowledge...?
Oh yeah the people that comment on that site are clueless. I don't post there. I just like reading that and enjoying the humor it brings.

They aren't completely devoid of hockey knowledge, themselves. They probably just don't follow it religiously like people on here do, and they probably don't care about every intricacy of the game or other teams around the league besides ours and our rivals.

MrBurgundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 11:26 PM
Biz Nasty
Cooke 4 Lady Byng

Quote:
Besides they were sticking up for Malkin, and Madden was acting like the blowhard idiot he always is saying Malkin sucks. Madden couldn't take it and he deleted his Twitter account. He's also never right by and large and he thinks he's the greatest hockey mind of this generation and the best radio broadcaster ever created. I'm sorry but I'm going to side with tPB here.
http://www.1059thex.com/pages/markmadden.html

Did you read Madden's article? I posted a link to it above...He wasn't saying Geno sucks, he said that Geno's penalties in the Toronto game hurt the team (truth) and called into question his consistency since the 2009 season, again a very valid opinion. In his article he even goes on to say that an inconsistent Geno is still a very good player, but asks when we're going to see the guy who is solidly amongst the 3 best players in the world. The Malkin debate is for another thread, but let's get the facts straight on what he was saying about Geno...I don't agree with everything Madden says but let's not go off calling him a "blowhard" based on reputation alone before reading the article.

TPB enjoy stirring the pot with people who get them attention..the Svoboda incident, one of their contributors calling Gillies' agent, feuding with other bloggers, and now going after Madden. They mock Madden's schtick while not recognizing they are living up to their own stereotype...small-time internet fan boys, and it's a role they play quite well.

Biz Nasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 12:23 AM
KaylaJ
I like stories

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biz Nasty View Post

TPB enjoy stirring the pot with people who get them attention..the Svoboda incident, one of their contributors calling Gillies' agent, feuding with other bloggers, and now going after Madden. They mock Madden's schtick while not recognizing they are living up to their own stereotype...small-time internet fan boys, and it's a role they play quite well.
I once visited the pens blog site with regularity and even contributed some photoshops and such, but no longer do. Somewhere along the lines I just no longer "got" it. Maybe it was after the Pens won the Cup and quite a few people became high and mighty and all those fan rules became big, but needless to say I no longer keep up with it.

That said, they've never pretended to be what they are not. They have never said they are anything but a fanblog. I can't recall how many times they've mentioned they have penguins crapping on other team logos, it is not a serious site. The fact that other people fall into their trap is just kinda sad.

In the end both TPB and Madden are just trying to get attention and are doing a pretty good job attacking each other. I mean look where we are.

KaylaJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 12:38 AM
Biz Nasty
Cooke 4 Lady Byng

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaylaJ View Post
I once visited the pens blog site with regularity and even contributed some photoshops and such, but no longer do. Somewhere along the lines I just no longer "got" it. Maybe it was after the Pens won the Cup and quite a few people became high and mighty and all those fan rules became big, but needless to say I no longer keep up with it.

That said, they've never pretended to be what they are not. They have never said they are anything but a fanblog. I can't recall how many times they've mentioned they have penguins crapping on other team logos, it is not a serious site. The fact that other people fall into their trap is just kinda sad.

In the end both TPB and Madden are just trying to get attention and are doing a pretty good job attacking each other. I mean look where we are.
Yeah, they have really cultivated some kind of cult atmosphere around the site, themselves, and their inner-circle of fans as if they are the "Ultimate Pens fans."

While I agree, both of them have to be loving the attention they are getting, it does bring up a pretty relevant topic between the fan-blogging/twittering and the team/mainstream media posts. Like you said, no one should take these idiots seriously...their humor, photoshops, etc are pretty childish and low rent...but then again, they are getting attention from the top sports talk host in town and are getting meetings with top level Pens officials (Tom McMillan) regarding their antics, so at what point do they have to stop claiming they are just a "fan blog" and own up the responsibility that their level of viability unfortunately has bestowed upon them?

Old
11-02-2011, 01:04 AM
KaylaJ
I like stories

Quote:
Yeah, they have really cultivated some kind of cult atmosphere around the site, themselves, and their inner-circle of fans as if they are the "Ultimate Pens fans."

While I agree, both of them have to be loving the attention they are getting, it does bring up a pretty relevant topic between the fan-blogging/twittering and the team/mainstream media posts. Like you said, no one should take these idiots seriously...their humor, photoshops, etc are pretty childish and low rent...but then again, they are getting attention from the top sports talk host in town and are getting meetings with top level Pens officials (Tom McMillan) regarding their antics, so at what point do they have to stop claiming they are just a "fan blog" and own up the responsibility that their level of viability unfortunately has bestowed upon them?

That's a question that is being asked from many serious blogs and fan blogs right now. You're going to have people who think because they're getting attention (even if its to gain more attention for themselves, like Madden is doing) then they should all of a sudden take a responsibility, even if that means changing their whole format. Then you're also going to have others who say that as long as they are not attached to any strings, like Puck Daddy is to Yahoo and other various deadlines like journalists, then they can continue to be a fan blog and not be taken seriously. Those are just the tip of the iceberg and I wouldn't have a clue considering I've never been on either side of the argument. Whatever the answer is, I wouldn't hold my breath on TPB being anything but what they have always been. They haven't changed and I don't see them doing anytime soon just because Madden had a rant on them. They know their shtick just like others do, and they're going to ride it til the cows come home.

Old
11-02-2011, 01:25 AM
Dan Barr

Quote:
Hadn't heard about the Gillies thing... Do I even want to know?

Dan Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 02:47 AM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

tPB are just a bunch of idiots. They give Pittsburghers and Pens fans a horrible name.

Coach John McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 09:08 AM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Bitter Buffalo

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach John McGuirk View Post
tPB are just a bunch of idiots. They give Pittsburghers and Pens fans a horrible name.
Agreed. They're ****-stirrers. I have no time for idiots like that.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Big McLargehuge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 09:38 AM
WVP

Well I'm glad I stopped following tpb_adam on twitter right before this happened. He was already taking about half of my incoming "tweets" with stuff I didn't care about.

tpb serves a role I suppose and can be funny at times but it's not for me. I read it for a couple days when I first heard about it but almost never go to it now.

WVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 10:21 AM
MrBurgundy
Time to move forward

Neal giving Sullivan the business

Quote:
jneal_18
SJ then LA. Its gonna be a long 6 hours of socom for @Sullivan26. #terribletornado

MrBurgundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 10:28 AM
laufer72
Ashburton Grove

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVP View Post
Well I'm glad I stopped following tpb_adam on twitter right before this happened. He was already taking about half of my incoming "tweets" with stuff I didn't care about.

tpb serves a role I suppose and can be funny at times but it's not for me. I read it for a couple days when I first heard about it but almost never go to it now.
I really can't say that there is any major difference between them. Both Madden and tPB utilize same, infantile and borderline offensive, shtick. Difference is that Madden is way too old to be doing that, and bottom line, he's getting paid for it, they are not. Now, I know that he'll never admit that, but I'm sure he feels threatened by their growing presence in the media.

Also, Madden is 10% journalist, 90% entertainer, keep that in mind.

laufer72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 10:35 AM
JTG

I never found TPB entertaining. My friends talked it up, but I just don't have the sense of humor for it, I guess.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 10:45 AM
WVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by laufer72 View Post
I really can't say that there is any major difference between them. Both Madden and tPB utilize same, infantile and borderline offensive, shtick. Difference is that Madden is way too old to be doing that, and bottom line, he's getting paid for it, they are not. Now, I know that he'll never admit that, but I'm sure he feels threatened by their growing presence in the media.

Also, Madden is 10% journalist, 90% entertainer, keep that in mind.
Oh, I certainly don't listen to Madden either. Just glad it didn't clog up my twitter feed.

And I agree that essentially they provide the same type of entertainment. Heck, Madden wouldn't be out of place as one of the writers on TPB, whether they like it or not.

WVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 11:54 AM
DwightKSchrute

Ben Lovejoy.... #tocoolforhashtags

DwightKSchrute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 12:34 PM
cassius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach John McGuirk View Post
Yep.. it's ridiculous that that site has lasted longer than 1 month. It's a MEME that somehow thinks it's a huge brand in Pittsburgh - absurd.

It's a bunch of guys who try too hard to be funny *and* they don't know much about the game of hockey. Double whammy.

Down Goes Brown is an example of a great, humorous hockey blog. TPB is just garbage IMO.

cassius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 01:31 PM
Dan Barr

Justin Bourne's stuff on Puck Daddy is really good. After discovering him there, I've been reading his blog on theScore.com and it is pretty good as well.

Dan Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 02:00 PM
SidTheKid87

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaylaJ View Post

I have no problem with them being a fanblog. But when you are NHL credentialed, it does not look good on you and the team the creditials you to be calling up player agents and pretending to be a legitimate journalist. Which begs the question, why do the Pens give them media credentials anyway? They can do everything they do from their seat at the game or in front of the TV. I have no problem giving one to Empty Netters, which is affiliated with a legit news agency. Seth actually uses his media pass very valuably. TPB just fouls it up for any fanblog that wants to be taken a little more seriously.

SidTheKid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 05:23 PM
KaylaJ
I like stories

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidTheKid87 View Post
I have no problem with them being a fanblog. But when you are NHL credentialed, it does not look good on you and the team the creditials you to be calling up player agents and pretending to be a legitimate journalist. Which begs the question, why do the Pens give them media credentials anyway? They can do everything they do from their seat at the game or in front of the TV. I have no problem giving one to Empty Netters, which is affiliated with a legit news agency. Seth actually uses his media pass very valuably. TPB just fouls it up for any fanblog that wants to be taken a little more seriously.

Exactly. If someone asks for credentials, they can be turned down. Instead of discussing how a blog should act because they have credentials, maybe we should be asking why they have them in the first place.

Old
11-03-2011, 11:41 AM
iamjs
Unregistered User

Quote:
Actually Madden never deleted his account. He said he was goiing to, but was back tweeting the next day.

TPB never claimed to be a place to go for game analysis. They've mentioned that more than a few times in their posts, and I will say that they've done a good job building their brand, although a lot of it had to do with the following that is c-blog, or at least what was c-blog. I used to go in to comment, but now the comment section reads like a cross of somebody's facebook wall and an 8th grader who just learned a few new profanities.

That being said, some of the stuff does go too far....something I thought I'd never say. Had they called Petr Svoboda and identified themselves as themselves, I wouldn't have cared. However, the way it played out was something that I wouldn't have done, and something that Tom MacMillian (among many others) didn't agree with. But like you said and Derek mentioned on twitter, they had to answer for it.

The pissing war with Madden should have never happened. Since when is Madden an authority on what is classy and professional? This is a guy who thinks assassination jokes, racist comments, and stripper interviews are interesting radio. If he thinks he's so much better than "amateur" blogs, then why does he bother with mentioning them on radio?

iamjs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 11:44 AM
iamjs
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neeeeaaaal View Post
Neeeeaaaal you're up next here on sports raido nine-dee-tree-sheven-duh-fan

iamjs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 07:45 AM
Florentino Ariza

Quote:
Oh yeah the people that comment on that site are clueless. I don't post there. I just like reading that and enjoying the humor it brings.

They aren't completely devoid of hockey knowledge, themselves. They probably just don't follow it religiously like people on here do, and they probably don't care about every intricacy of the game or other teams around the league besides ours and our rivals.
And yet you can't tolerate Madden when he criticizes Malkin for sucking the past few years

Florentino Ariza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 10:51 AM
Biz Nasty
Cooke 4 Lady Byng

As an aside from the PensBlog bashing (which is fantastic), I give you what David Spade tweeted last night, god help us all...

Old
11-05-2011, 10:53 AM
Florentino Ariza

Quote:
As an aside from the PensBlog bashing (which is fantastic), I give you what David Spade tweeted last night, god help us all...

Sid is a whole lotta man

Florentino Ariza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 12:26 PM
Biz Nasty
Cooke 4 Lady Byng

Sid should have thrown him through a window for doing the whole "sideways peace sign" thing.