HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Andrei Kostitsyn Thread

Old
09-19-2011, 02:20 PM
Pr3Va1L

vCash: 500
Andrei Kostitsyn Thread

Am I the only one that sees him in the top 6 this season ? With either Max Pac or Cole being on the 3rd line.

Say what you will, Andrei will have a great season this year (maybe his best yet), and this being a season at the end of which he'll be looking for a contract, he will probably show an honest effort on most nights.

Pr3Va1L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 02:27 PM
Ross MacLochness

Without injuries, I doubt it.

But if it were to happen, a Kostitsyn-Plekanec-Cole line could be interesting. Then Cammalleri with Gomez and Gionta can do their thing. And put Pacioretty with Desharnais (already chemistry there) and Eller.

Cole probably isn't going to be on the 3rd line, and Andrei with Gomez isn't something I want to relive.

But to start the season I expect to see the obvious lineup, with AK on the 3rd.

Ross MacLochness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 02:28 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr3Va1L View Post
Am I the only one that sees him in the top 6 this season ? With either Max Pac or Cole being on the 3rd line.

Say what you will, Andrei will have a great season this year (maybe his best yet), and this being a season at the end of which he'll be looking for a contract, he will probably show an honest effort on most nights.
No way Cole doesn't play RW on the top line with Cammy and Pleck, Cole plays RW, and his play in the corners is exactly what Pleck and Cammy need. So top 6 RW is out of the question. Since A.Kost can play both RW and LW, he might be able to beat out Patches but, Patches can't play RW, so unless DD can switch to RW not LW, A.Kost has no opition but to play 3rd line RW. Sorry if I'm a bit confusing.

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 02:28 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

I don't think he will play in the top 6 unless someones hurt

Pleks-Cammy-Cole-Gio-Gomez and Pacioretty IMO are the top 2 lines

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 02:33 PM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Awards:
Cammalleri - Plekanec - Cole
Gionta - Gomez - Pacioretty
Desharnais - Eller - Kostitsyn

That's the three lines I think I, as well as plenty of others, see the Habs icing.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 02:33 PM
nyhabsfan
Waiting for #25.....

Quote:

"he will probably show an honest effort on most nights"

and there you have it...why AK will not be a top 6 and if he doesn't get his "Stuff" in gear, may not be a Hab for longer.

Never could understand how people could be fans of players who are floaters most of their careers....AK 46 and Kovalev over guys who bring it every night.

To answer your question, Gionta, Cammy, Cole and Patches would be our top two line wingers, no doubt about it.

nyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 02:49 PM
ProMath

Quote:
Say what you will, Andrei will have a great season this year on the 3rd line, and this being a season at the end of which he'll be looking for a contract, he will probably show an honest effort on most nights.

Here you go.

AK will play in the top 6 for sure. (injury/cold streak)
But he will start the season on the 3rd line.

This is the first years in a long time that we can say to a top 6 winger:

Hey ! Wake up, if you don't get your job done, we got someone else who will gladly take your spot. (Same for Gomez)

No more Moens or Darche hopefully on top 2 line. (I like those guys ... but not on these line)

ProMath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 03:12 PM
RaMMuT
Tank Nation 2012

AK is my favorite player on the team.

But I'm telling you guys, he will probably be spending more time with Eller this season depending on how cole gels with pleks and cammy.

If they struggle, I totally see JM putting AK back with pleks and cammy and I can already see AK in super saiyan mode...playing like there is no tomorrow...god I love it when he plays with FIRE!!!

AK FTMFW

RaMMuT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 03:20 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:

If it's the case, unless we're overburdened with injuries, let's sell him high at trade deadline, even if we are making the playoffs.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 03:20 PM
NewHabsEra*

I think they will start with Kostitsyn on the top 6, MaxPac on the third line centered by Eller or Desharnais.. But I could see both Kostitsyn and Pacioretty alterning on the top 6 all along the season.. I highly doubt they play Cole on the third line..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 03:21 PM
PATCHESx67

Akost was playing well with Eller

PATCHESx67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 03:22 PM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
If it's the case, unless we're overburdened with injuries, let's sell him high at trade deadline, even if we are making the playoffs.
I am actually torn on the question. Because you do make a good point, we could score ourselves a nice prospect for him.

But if he is the player that makes our team dangerous by having a very powerful 3rd line... Wouldn't it be scuttling our boat before te finish line?

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 03:23 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PATCHESx67 View Post
Akost was playing well with Eller
And MaxPac had some serious chimestry with Desharnais in the minors.. anyway we will see..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 03:29 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
And MaxPac had some serious chimestry with Desharnais in the minors.. anyway we will see..
Was it really chemistry driving results there or just having two of the best players in that league playing together on a line resulting in a big performance?

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 03:32 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
I am actually torn on the question. Because you do make a good point, we could score ourselves a nice prospect for him.

But if he is the player that makes our team dangerous by having a very powerful 3rd line... Wouldn't it be scuttling our boat before te finish line?
What will make our team dangerous will be our two best defensemen an our goalie. If those three are on the lineup for most of the season, I wouldn't be scared of getting rid of AK. We'll have a hard time keeping him next summer anyway. That's mainly why I'd get rid of him if he has a great season. An average season would have him close to his present salary, which would have me more leaning towards keeping him instead.

Old
09-19-2011, 03:33 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
Was it really chemistry driving results there or just having two of the best players in that league playing together on a line resulting in a big performance?
Having seen a few games with both of them together, I'd say both.

Old
09-19-2011, 03:34 PM
DJ Breadman

YES you are the only one who see's akots in the top 6. He will be on the 3rd line to start the year, which I don't think will work out of him. If it doesn't work out early look for him to be traded. He needs top 6 time to be succesful and he's not going to get it here, unless there's injuries

DJ Breadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 03:36 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
I think they will start with Kostitsyn on the top 6, MaxPac on the third line centered by Eller or Desharnais.. But I could see both Kostitsyn and Pacioretty alterning on the top 6 all along the season.. I highly doubt they play Cole on the third line..
Who plays RW, Patches can't play RW, and moving DD to RW from centre would be a tougher move than to LW.

Old
09-19-2011, 03:44 PM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
What will make our team dangerous will be our two best defensemen an our goalie. If those three are on the lineup for most of the season, I wouldn't be scared of getting rid of AK. We'll have a hard time keeping him next summer anyway. That's mainly why I'd get rid of him if he has a great season. An average season would have him close to his present salary, which would have me more leaning towards keeping him instead.
Price, Subban and Markov are, indeed, a force to be reckoned. But while we probably have a powerful defense that'll makes us a competitive team, I do believe 3 real scoring lines with 2 PMD will give us the edge to be a dominating team.

The other coach just will kill his player by overshifting his best elements, which will play our way when we then try to outspeed them.

Remove the 3rd power line, we suddenly become a manageable opposition. Still dangerous, but much less dangerous.

Old
09-19-2011, 03:45 PM
Guy Germaine

Quote:
Am I the only one that sees him in the top 6 this season ?
You are not. I definetly think he'll be give a shot with Plek and Camm. It's a contract year for him so he'll get the oppurtunity to prove himself and have a great year.

I also see Cole as a perfect linemate for Gio and Gomez, the all American line.

Then put Patches, Desharnais and Eller together and see if they can click on some level.

BTW...how's Madchild doing?

Guy Germaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 03:45 PM
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

vCash: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by habs03 View Post
Who plays RW, Patches can't play RW, and moving DD to RW from centre would be a tougher move than to LW.
I'm sure MaxPac could play right wing. Switching a player from LR to RW and vice versa is a lot easier than C to a wing.

Stjonnypopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 03:46 PM
neofury*

Quote:

Depends on who the prospect is. I can't see anyone franchise changing coming back for a pending UFA A Kost. So honestly I think I'd keep the guy if we were healthy and doing well.

If the prospect is pretty much golden future star material top end pick, not proven but very high probability of NHL (high pick from previous draft) then maybe I'd consider it. Only a team making a push for the cup would do that and we'd only consider it if we were riddled with injuries. Like say we're out of it and Philly (crazy never gonna happen) offers Couturier for Kostitsyn+pick/prospect or something.... I'd be all over that. Too bad it won't ever happen.

If it's just project 3rd line C 5'7" 173lbs (50/50 chance of making it), 4th rd pick... I'd be pissed tbh.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 03:51 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Price, Subban and Markov are, indeed, a force to be reckoned. But while we probably have a powerful defense that'll makes us a competitive team, I do believe 3 real scoring lines with 2 PMD will give us the edge to be a dominating team.

The other coach just will kill his player by overshifting his best elements, which will play our way when we then try to outspeed them.

Remove the 3rd power line, we suddenly become a manageable opposition. Still dangerous, but much less dangerous.
I agree completely. But I also believe we'll have some youth coming in which should keep that 3rd line competitive, as I see Eller and DD as a big a pivot on that line than AK. Will it be Palushaj, Avtsin, Leblanc, who knows, but I believe one of the three could take that place on the 3rd line instead of AK without lowering production too much, and without impacting on the dynamic as we'll still have DD and Eller.

Old
09-19-2011, 03:59 PM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
I agree completely. But I also believe we'll have some youth coming in which should keep that 3rd line competitive, as I see Eller and DD as a big a pivot on that line than AK. Will it be Palushaj, Avtsin, Leblanc, who knows, but I believe one of the three could take that place on the 3rd line instead of AK without lowering production too much, and without impacting on the dynamic as we'll still have DD and Eller.
I think you underestimate the kind of impact AK might have player as a 3rd liner. He's got amazing "finish" ability.. Struggles mostly to achieve play superiority (get a scoring chance). He converts very, very well. Playing him against softer opposition regurlary could very turn him into our best scorer.

He won't be easily replaced with a upcoming young guy. AK is the real thing, once you understand his limitation and shape things around him so his liability exposure isn't too high.

Old
09-19-2011, 04:11 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stjonnypopo View Post
I'm sure MaxPac could play right wing. Switching a player from LR to RW and vice versa is a lot easier than C to a wing.
He hasn't played it ever in his career, so I'm not sure he could. It very tough defensively to switch to your off wing for the 1st time in the NHL since your on your back hand more, but you never know I guess.