HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Dave Stubbs: Montreal Canadiens' Scott Gomez looking to bounce back this season

Old
09-13-2011, 08:29 PM
SB164

vCash: 500
Dave Stubbs: Montreal Canadiens' Scott Gomez looking to bounce back this season

MONTREAL - Canadiens centreman Scott Gomez didn’t easily forget a season that was entirely forgettable – the worst of his 11-year National Hockey League career.

But at some point last spring, after considerable time spent clearing the fog and taking stock of what he did and mostly didn’t do through his 80 regular-season games and seven in the playoffs, Gomez stopped looking back and started focusing his view forward.

“It was never like: ‘The season’s over, yay, summer’s here!’ ” Gomez said Tuesday night. “It wasn’t dandy. It wasn’t like: ‘Well, I’m glad that’s over.’ I asked myself a lot of questions and I had to clear my mind. It wasn’t a couple of days. I needed the time to think, to re-evaluate.

“But once I’d done that, it was: ‘Hey, here we go. Let’s get back to work.’ ”

Read more: http://www.montrealgazette.com/sport...#ixzz1Xt04mBVO

SB164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 08:38 PM
neofury*

When I read the title I was wondering where he got the crystal ball

How could he possibly know Gomez is intending on bouncing back

Being serious though I did like the article and I'm glad Gomez has worked hard and is being positive about things. Also he didn't sound like he was goofing around either, sounded like he was ready for business in this interview. Wanted everyone to know he takes this seriously.

Last edited by neofury*: 09-13-2011 at 08:44 PM.
neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 08:43 PM
x74Pacioretty74x

98% of people on this board despise gomez. I'm part of the 2% that loves him and think he'll have a 60+ point campaign.

x74Pacioretty74x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 08:46 PM
Sports1131

Send a message via AIM to Sports1131 Send a message via MSN to Sports1131
I'm not glad we traded for him, but I'm glad we held on to him this summer. With nobody in the organization and no good free agent options to replace him our best chance at winning is if he can become a decent player again. I'm not expecting miracles, but I think he can contribute with Pacioretty and Gionta.

Sports1131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 08:46 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4life74 View Post
98% of people on this board despise gomez. I'm part of the 2% that loves him and think he'll have a 60+ point campaign.
Wrong. I'd say 95%

And I'm part of that % that feels the same way. He had a bad year we need to move on and wish him the best this year and hope our team plays well. That is reliant on him playing well too.

When Gomez first came here I wanted to get a Gomez jersey as my first stitched jersey. Never ended up getting one but if he has a come back this year I think I might

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 08:51 PM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Awards:
Didn't really need to hear it from Dave Stubbs that Gomez had an off-season and that he's looking to bounce back. Any player, making that type of money and putting up the numbers that he did, would want to bounce back and have a good season.

I expect a 60+ point season this year, especially when he'll be playing with a fresh Pacioretty and Markov.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 08:57 PM
JohnLennon

Gomez has always been one of my favorite Habs. As long as I've been on HF I've always supported the guy and rooted for him. People are so hard on him on these boards, but he has always been an amazing playoff performer and that was his worst NHL season, how about we see how he does this season before insulting him and writing him off?

I'll be one of the first to say I've always supported Gomez, because hating him for one bad season is irrational and hoping the worst for him is just plain mean and stupid. I am a Habs fan and that means I am a fan of every player on this team, and i believe Gomez can RIP **** UP.

JohnLennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 09:00 PM
sampollock

prove it gomez, like last year when you got your own number, and that was the start of a great year.

sampollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 09:16 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Glad to know I'm not the only one.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 09:22 PM
Subban76

Quote:
Where do I stand in this? I don't despise him, but I don't love him either

I'm meh!

Subban76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 09:29 PM
TankEller*

Gomez is an individual with a whole lot of pride, and he'll do everything he can to bounce back. Back contract or not, it's not reasonable to expect 80 points or more from him. But I do expect him to post solid numbers, probably around the 60 points mark.

TankEller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 09:32 PM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

I like Gomez and I find it silly when people ***** about his salary.

I hope he has a great season.

Gabe84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 09:43 PM
HCH

A couple of things bugged me about Gomez.

The first issue was his salary and the fact that it might have prevented Gauthier from re-signing some of our talent. However, PG worked around that issue very well. His salary is no longer an issue because we have a full roster and $4 million in cap room.

The second issue was his level of effort and his failure to take responsibility for his poor play. He always seemed to give a glib response to a serious question making me wonder about his dedication to improving. And make no mistake, his poor year wasn't due to poor shooting by his line mates... no matter what the stats buffs would lead you to believe.

When I look around the league, there aren't many second line centers who would be an improvement over Gomez so trading to go sideways in terms of talent makes no sense. Trading to gain cap space in unnecessary because we still have cap room with his contract.

So I am prepared to cut him some slack for one more year, if he shows the effort that he promises. There will be times when I rant about the guy but in general, I think he fits in with the rest of the talent much better than he has in the past. After next season the whole landscape could change when Subban and Price need to be re-signed and when everything will be subject to a new CBA.

Good luck Gomer... with a good year you can be an important part of a very good hockey team. With a bad year, there will be little mercy. I hope for both you and the team that it will be a good year.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 09:46 PM
Kirk Muller

We will see. I hope for the best because a good Gomez makes the habs better but talk is cheap. He said very similiar things mid way thru last season as well.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 09:52 PM
Stradale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Muller View Post
We will see. I hope for the best because a good Gomez makes the habs better but talk is cheap. He said very similiar things mid way thru last season as well.
Yep. It's time for him to walk the talk.

I'm confident that he's gonna be amongst our best forward next season, like top 3. So much that I expect nothing less than 60 pts from him.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 10:24 PM
Habs13

Talk - Action = 0

I think Gomez could bounce back and score 8 goals this year!!!!!!!!

Habs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 11:27 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Doesn't matter how much you're making, but when you're playing top 6 minutes and pp time you better get more than 7 ****ing goals.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 11:32 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Advice:

1) Review old NJ video
2) Shoot the puck!

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 11:53 PM
Miller Time

is Stubbsy pining for the "captain obvious" award?

talk is cheap, let's see what happens on the ice.

Gomez's play since coming to Montreal can only be described as an unmitigated failure... I don't think anyone can be a Habs fan and not be rooting for him to "bounce back" and give the team at least somewhat the level of play that Gainey envisioned when trading for him.

but no more talking about it. I know reporters have to go with the easy and obvious stories, but I'd actually rather hear Gomez say nothing, or simply say "watch me", and let his play speak for itself.

Last year he talked about turning things around and picking up his play several times... never happened.

Talk is cheap. Just DO! and everyone will be happy.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 12:20 AM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post
A couple of things bugged me about Gomez.

The first issue was his salary and the fact that it might have prevented Gauthier from re-signing some of our talent. However, PG worked around that issue very well. His salary is no longer an issue because we have a full roster and $4 million in cap room.

The second issue was his level of effort and his failure to take responsibility for his poor play. He always seemed to give a glib response to a serious question making me wonder about his dedication to improving. And make no mistake, his poor year wasn't due to poor shooting by his line mates... no matter what the stats buffs would lead you to believe.

When I look around the league, there aren't many second line centers who would be an improvement over Gomez so trading to go sideways in terms of talent makes no sense. Trading to gain cap space in unnecessary because we still have cap room with his contract.

So I am prepared to cut him some slack for one more year, if he shows the effort that he promises. There will be times when I rant about the guy but in general, I think he fits in with the rest of the talent much better than he has in the past. After next season the whole landscape could change when Subban and Price need to be re-signed and when everything will be subject to a new CBA.

Good luck Gomer... with a good year you can be an important part of a very good hockey team. With a bad year, there will be little mercy. I hope for both you and the team that it will be a good year.
The stats buffs willfully, stubbornly, blindly insist that he hasn't been that bad. Gomez doesn't agree with his apologists on this forum. I give him credit for being wiser than they are. One good season would help take the sting out of his past failure and I light candles in the hope he has one. he owes it to the team and the fans. But another season like the last one and he'd deserve to be tarred and feathered. We'd see JM giving him the Pouliot treatment.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 12:22 AM
LyricalLyricist

I'm indifferent to this article. I like Gomez...from new jersey. He's been a shadow of himself for a while now. 7 goals and 31 assists with top 6 time isn't 2nd line center numbers. Yada yada his salary shouldn't matter but in a cap world it does. That being said except for brad Richards there wasn't many options for upgrade on ufa market so glad we kept Gomez. I thought he'd bounce back last year and was wrong. At this point forget 60+ points. I'm happy if he hits 50s.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 12:39 AM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Hey, he can't be worse than last year right?

Sined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 12:41 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sined View Post
Hey, he can't be worse than last year right?
Jynx post of the season.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 06:31 AM
Vasculio
Booya !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Doesn't matter how much you're making, but when you're playing top 6 minutes and pp time you better get more than 7 ****ing goals.
If he gets 50 assists, where's the problem if he only gets 7 ******* goals ?

Vasculio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 06:44 AM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
The stats buffs willfully, stubbornly, blindly insist that he hasn't been that bad. Gomez doesn't agree with his apologists on this forum. I give him credit for being wiser than they are. One good season would help take the sting out of his past failure and I light candles in the hope he has one. he owes it to the team and the fans. But another season like the last one and he'd deserve to be tarred and feathered. We'd see JM giving him the Pouliot treatment.
Yeah... I'm sure if Gomez had simply said "We worked hard all season but the puck just wouldn't get in", that would have go well with the media and the fans.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote