HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Leafs Have Held The Most Preliminary of Preliminary Turris Talks

Old
09-21-2011, 11:17 AM
Andrew Mack

vCash: 500
Leafs Have Held The Most Preliminary of Preliminary Turris Talks

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey...tion-for-leafs

Quote:
There have been some preliminary discussions on the possibility of a deal between the Leafs and Coyotes although Kurt Overhart, Turris’ agent, may be the driving force in any chats that have taken place.
At this point I wouldn't sign him for $3M even if he was a UFA.

Andrew Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 11:18 AM
Jeffler
Shut Up Jeffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Mack View Post
http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey...tion-for-leafs

At this point I wouldn't sign him for $3M even if he was a UFA.
This assumes his demands are for all teams. Maybe it's just a way to get himself out of Phoenix.

That said...I don't see much happening here.

"Mophead in the middle is the mad scientist of the group. He sits quietly, wide eyed with a smile on his face until someone unleashes him, and then he explodes into an explanation Fury like a coked out physicist explaining the Theory of Relativity to a grade 8 class."
Follow me on Twitter
Jeffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 11:22 AM
Andrew Mack

I should also add that Cox is suggesting that they are looking very closely at Colborne to see if he is ready for the NHL. If he is, this goes out the window. It also might mean Bozak is being shopped if his name is being thrown around in this deal, with the close evaluation on Colborne and the health status of Lombardi, it makes sense.

Old
09-21-2011, 11:30 AM
tony135420

Not sure where he would fit? I see him as a top 6 guy. Doesn't really fit bottom 6 like Bozak does, plays center (correct me if i'm wrong). Unless Grabovski or Connolly are involved, don't see it happening.

tony135420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 11:32 AM
Andrew Mack

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony135420 View Post
Not sure where he would fit? I see him as a top 6 guy. Doesn't really fit bottom 6 like Bozak does, plays center (correct me if i'm wrong). Unless Grabovski or Connolly are involved, don't see it happening.
The suggestion is 3C if Lombardi is unhealthy and Colborne needs more AHL seasoning. Personally, I'd rather hold onto Bozak but it is risk-reward move. There is something to be said for his skill level and the fact he's still 22, but I'm with you.

Old
09-21-2011, 11:36 AM
ShutoutJunkie

The only deal for Turris I'd approve of is something similar to the deal that brought Nikita Filatov to Ottawa. If we're going to pick up a player in a contract dispute it should be someone who has already established himself at the NHL level, not another kid with untapped potential.

ShutoutJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 11:38 AM
TheTotalPackage

I wouldn't mind taking a flier on Turris if he came on the cheap (similar to Filatov, as referenced above). But that also means signing him to a piddly salary enabling him to show and boost his worth. His contract demands are absolutely ludicrous.

TheTotalPackage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 11:38 AM
MoreMogilny
Cap'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutoutJunkie View Post
The only deal for Turris I'd approve of is something similar to the deal that brought Nikita Filatov to Ottawa. If we're going to pick up a player in a contract dispute it should be someone who has already established himself at the NHL level, not another kid with untapped potential.
I agree. I think Turris should get a bit more than Filatov, but I don't know how much I'd move for him. He's unproven, his contract status is completely in the air, and while he has great potential, you can't bank on him reaching it.

I'd love to add Turris to our group of young players, but not at a high price.

MoreMogilny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 11:44 AM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

This seems like an Eklund type conclusion.

If a player of Turris' potential is available, every team in the league would inquire.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 11:46 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

If we get him cheap, I would be ecstatic but I dont think that will be the case.

TBH I think a swap with the canucks would be a quite well for the team, as they can switch schneider or so for turris.

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 11:48 AM
MoreMogilny
Cap'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
If we get him cheap, I would be ecstatic but I dont think that will be the case.

TBH I think a swap with the canucks would be a quite well for the team, as they can switch schneider or so for turris.
That swap would work for Phoenix, but why would the Canucks do it?

They have H. Sedin and Kesler as the top 2 centers, as well as a couple of good prospects in Hodgson and Schroeder waiting in the wings for a spot. Would they really need an underachieving center prospect?

MoreMogilny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 11:49 AM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
This seems like an Eklund type conclusion.

If a player of Turris' potential is available, every team in the league would inquire.
Kyle Turris isn't as good as you think he is. He wasn't a ppg player in college or in the AHL. In 65 games last year he had 11 goals. Not to mention he is not known for his defensive or physical ability.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 11:55 AM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
Kyle Turris isn't as good as you think he is. He wasn't a ppg player in college or in the AHL. In 65 games last year he had 11 goals. Not to mention he is not known for his defensive or physical ability.
How do you know how good I think he is?

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 12:23 PM
RogerRoeper*

What could Phoenix ask for? Turris has proven nothing and wants a huge deal he's not worthy of.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 12:26 PM
InherentPoster

Why would any team even consider giving him $1M on the cap?

Minimum salary, and give him what ever performance bonuses he may be entitled to.

InherentPoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 12:29 PM
Deebo

Quote:
Originally Posted by InherentPoster View Post
Why would any team even consider giving him $1M on the cap?

Minimum salary, and give him what ever performance bonuses he may be entitled to.
If he were willing to sign a deal like that, don't you think he would have signed with Coyotes by now?

He isn't eligible for a contract with bonuses.

Deebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 12:32 PM
ChuckWoods

Teams are scrambling to inquire about Turris. Its not just the Leafs in on this.

His pure talent and skillset are generating a lot of interest within the leauge.

The issue with Turris is that he wants a contract based on that (his ceiling and skillset), and not performace. Which is why Pheonix and the Turris camp have such different visions of his next contract.

Now with that being said, Turris has always been a bit of a whiner and complainer. A very good friend of mine had it out with two years ago while his team was playing Pheonix, and lets just say it soured my opinion of him.

But he's certainly talented, has room to grow as a person and a player and if he can do both of those, his ceiling could be a #1 Centre.

The jury is out on Turris right now, and he could go the boom/bust route. I personally dont think there's a middle ground when it comes to him.

ChuckWoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 12:37 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Why is Turris so damn overrated?

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 12:37 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
What could Phoenix ask for? Turris has proven nothing and wants a huge deal he's not worthy of.
A possible scenario is that Phoenix is saying that Turris doesn't have the stats and the Turris camp is saying that he can't get the stats on a team that plays the trap and will affect his future earnings.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 12:39 PM
ChuckWoods

double post

ChuckWoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 12:41 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreMogilny View Post
That swap would work for Phoenix, but why would the Canucks do it?

They have H. Sedin and Kesler as the top 2 centers, as well as a couple of good prospects in Hodgson and Schroeder waiting in the wings for a spot. Would they really need an underachieving center prospect?
Kesler is capable of also playing wing and so is turris, hodgson is right now looking more like a second center who might make it or a third line center, which is already blocked by manny malhotra, they are also trying to change a but with i can't remember if it was burrows or raymond either way one of their wingers.

Schroeder will be good but there is one thing the canucks organization im sure would be a bit scared about, and that would be his size, the guy has immense talent but he dropped due to his size if you recall

Old
09-21-2011, 12:41 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
A possible scenario is that Phoenix is saying that Turris doesn't have the stats and the Turris camp is saying that he can't get the stats on a team that plays the trap and will affect his future earnings.
I think its more based the guy just wants to get the heck out of there.

Old
09-21-2011, 12:42 PM
Mansfield
possession obsession

Colborne needs more time in the A. Turris isn't better than Bozak at this point. I'd rather keep bozak until we know for sure how lombardi is going to be.

Mansfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 12:44 PM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
How do you know how good I think he is?
"If a player of Turris' potential is available, every team in the league would inquire."

He's not that good -- every team would not inquire -- many wouldn't.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 12:44 PM
hdtrax

I think the contract demands are to get himself out of Phoenix. He'd likely sign for a lot less (maybe Bailey money..a little more I assume) with his new team. I'd be interested if I was Toronto, but in all honesty, I wouldn't give up very much. Maybe a goalie prospect (Rynnas) with another mid-prospect (i.e. D'Amigo). He just hasn't done enough to warrant an overpayment. At the same time, Kadri-Bozak-Armstrong have looked good in the limited action I've seen - so I don't know if I want to create problems there, since Turris wouldn't be able to play in the top 2 slots.

hdtrax is offline   Reply With Quote