HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Leafs Have Held The Most Preliminary of Preliminary Turris Talks

Old
09-23-2011, 01:17 PM
leafsrule123

vCash: 500
He is obvously wanting out of Pheonix with those demands. If he did come here I wonder if he would be so happy to get out he could sign a 1 year 2 way contract to play for the Marlies to develop him even more and then replace him with Grabo next year and sign him long term? That would be a great scenario...Dreaming of course

leafsrule123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 01:20 PM
Marco Esquandolas
Registered Abuser

vCash: 1170
Quote:
Originally Posted by leafsrule123 View Post
He is obvously wanting out of Pheonix with those demands. If he did come here I wonder if he would be so happy to get out he could sign a 1 year 2 way contract to play for the Marlies to develop him even more and then replace him with Grabo next year and sign him long term? That would be a great scenario...Dreaming of course
I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure he would have to clear waivers to go to the Marlies, or at least to be re-called..?

Marco Esquandolas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 01:36 PM
Beleafer4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Around in 67 View Post
that's one word you could use.
This post was a waste of cyberspace, just you trying to be witty.

If you watched connolly last year, you would know why I want him gone. Him and gomez were by far the least impressive top 6 forwards in last year's playoffs.

Beleafer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 02:19 PM
MeowLeafs
LM is awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Mack View Post
At this point I wouldn't sign him for $3M even if he was a UFA.
If he were available for $3 mil, you do it. He might not be worth it this season (although that's debatable as he was kinda underused in phoenix), but he'll certainly be worth it later on.

Lemme put it this way, most of us consider Kadri to be our best prospect. And I think most people would consider Turris > Kadri now and future (though it's close). We all consider Kadri a future core player that will help turn this franchise around. If we can get a young player that'll be even better then that, at a cost that might be a $1 mil overpayment this season, you ****ing do it.

MeowLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 02:33 PM
LeafsandSharksfan
Founder of NGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs88 View Post
If he were available for $3 mil, you do it. He might not be worth it this season (although that's debatable as he was kinda underused in phoenix), but he'll certainly be worth it later on.

Lemme put it this way, most of us consider Kadri to be our best prospect. And I think most people would consider Turris > Kadri now and future (though it's close). We all consider Kadri a future core player that will help turn this franchise around. If we can get a young player that'll be even better then that, at a cost that might be a $1 mil overpayment this season, you ****ing do it.
1 Kajillion times this

LeafsandSharksfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 02:40 PM
Beleafer4

I would trade bozak for turris if I had to but Im sure the deal doesnt hinge on phoenix acquiring bozak. There should be other players that would do the trick.

Old
09-23-2011, 02:42 PM
mooseOAK*

Paying Turris more than a 30 goal scorer on the Leafs would be the height of stupidity.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 02:47 PM
Beleafer4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
Paying Turris more than a 30 goal scorer on the Leafs would be the height of stupidity.
LOL +1

Old
09-23-2011, 02:50 PM
Squiffy
Victims, rn't we all

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarwinWasAdopted View Post
I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure he would have to clear waivers to go to the Marlies, or at least to be re-called..?
Yes, both ways.

R.I.P. Darryl buddy... it was too soon.. too soon
Squiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 03:05 PM
daveleaf

Something tells me that he is throwing that number out there to leave Phx. I am sure with the opportunity to play important minutes and with a more open style he would welcome it. I would pay him 2.5 mill a year and I think he would take that on a short term deal. Burke likes giving chances to guys with short term deals to give them a chance to get their act together.

daveleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 03:11 PM
Beleafer4

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveleaf View Post
Something tells me that he is throwing that number out there to leave Phx. I am sure with the opportunity to play important minutes and with a more open style he would welcome it. I would pay him 2.5 mill a year and I think he would take that on a short term deal. Burke likes giving chances to guys with short term deals to give them a chance to get their act together.
I think you are right. When your career high is 11 goals, asking for 4 mil is stupid. Its just that when leafs trade for him knowing his contract demands, it sort of implies that they are willing to pay it.

Old
09-23-2011, 03:18 PM
MoreMogilny
Cap'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beleafer4 View Post
I think you are right. When your career high is 11 goals, asking for 4 mil is stupid. Its just that when leafs trade for him knowing his contract demands, it sort of implies that they are willing to pay it.
Not entirely. If the reason for Turris' demands are indeed because he wants out of Phoenix, then it's possible that he would accept a lower salary if a team is to trade for him.

MoreMogilny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 03:32 PM
Patty Lee
I hate the Habs

Quote:
This post was a waste of cyberspace, just you trying to be witty.

If you watched connolly last year, you would know why I want him gone. Him and gomez were by far the least impressive top 6 forwards in last year's playoffs.
you seem to have that perfected

Patty Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 03:39 PM
T_Cage
VP of Awesome

If he'll sign for less than 2.5, I d give bozak and a pick (maybe cond on performance?).

If he wants 3-3.5 I want the pick from Phoenix

T_Cage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 03:41 PM
Beleafer4

Quote:
you seem to have that perfected
Im glad it took you that long to come back with an average retort.

Old
09-23-2011, 03:46 PM
Patty Lee
I hate the Habs

Quote:
yet another fine example

Patty Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 03:52 PM
Beleafer4

Quote:
yet another fine example

Being witty is clearly not your forte, so I suggest you stay on topic rather trying to derail this thread. We are talking about the idea of acquiring turris. This is not a practise session for your cheesy one liners.

Old
09-23-2011, 03:55 PM
Marco Esquandolas
Registered Abuser

vCash: 1170
Why not just tape-measure your dicks and get it over with already

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squiffy View Post
Yes, both ways.
I thought so, but NHL 11 has warped my fragile eggshell mind, so I can never be quite sure....

Marco Esquandolas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 03:57 PM
redbull
Expect more

Quote:
well put!

I don't give a crap about Turris and his self-perception of value. He hasn't shown much at the pro level and he (and his agent) should have shown more class and dealt with things quietly.

If he really wanted out that bad, it would have been easier to accommodate if he kept it quiet.

I believe a player (or person) should be paid what they're worth, they are free to negotiate in good faith, but you have to be realistic. I know we don't know the whole story but his on-ice play is nothing close to what he's looking for.

He needs to sign some Josh Bailey contract (2 years, 1.05MM per) and show that he's worth more.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 04:01 PM
Andrew Mack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs88 View Post

I wouldn't trade Kadri for Turris and I wouldn't pay $3M for Kadri either. He is available for $3M, Phoenix is just rejecting it and any team in the league can offer it to him today if they want and so far no one has.

Andrew Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 04:08 PM
Poignant Discussion
I tell it like it is

vCash: 1400
Send a message via MSN to Poignant Discussion Send a message via Yahoo to Poignant Discussion
Quote:
Are you here to fight or talk hockey?

Poignant Discussion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 04:11 PM
sgupca

Quote:
Originally Posted by apb03 View Post
Do we know what Phoenix needs as far as positional players go? We have an abundance of right handed NHL Defensemen, Goalie and mid level winger prospects.

It would be interesting to see if a deal can be worked out. However, we would have serious issues with finding a spot for Turris if we got him. I think we'd have to deal a decent roster forward player to make room.
They need everything IMO

sgupca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 04:12 PM
Beleafer4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poignant Discussion View Post
Are you here to fight or talk hockey?
He was asking for it... He made two comments that were merely shots and didnt move the discussion any further. If you look back in this thread, you will see that I actually talked about turris...

Old
09-23-2011, 04:26 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
well put!

I don't give a crap about Turris and his self-perception of value. He hasn't shown much at the pro level and he (and his agent) should have shown more class and dealt with things quietly.

If he really wanted out that bad, it would have been easier to accommodate if he kept it quiet.

I believe a player (or person) should be paid what they're worth, they are free to negotiate in good faith, but you have to be realistic. I know we don't know the whole story but his on-ice play is nothing close to what he's looking for.

He needs to sign some Josh Bailey contract (2 years, 1.05MM per) and show that he's worth more.
it wouldn't surprise me if that was the Phoenix offer which is basically just the qualifier.

The only defence I can think of for Turris is that the Coyotes don't "play the kids" so his stats and future earnings could suffer.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 04:38 PM
redbull
Expect more

Quote:
it wouldn't surprise me if that was the Phoenix offer which is basically just the qualifier.

The only defence I can think of for Turris is that the Coyotes don't "play the kids" so his stats and future earnings could suffer.
PHX fans think that (according to the main board) yet all I see is a team that vastly overachieves. I see Radim Vrbata produce far more than he's shown anywhere else. Maybe Tippett knows more than what some fans think a 3rd overall "deserves".

I don't think anyone (any coach) believes in any blanket statement like "don't play the kids" - not all kids are the same. Maybe, just maybe, the most obvious answer is the right one....that Turris isn't good enough just yet. He doesn't give them the best chance to win right now so he doesn't play. That's exactly why Kadri wasn't on the Leafs last year - no?

I don't think a player gets to play just because he was drafted high.

Bailey's a good example, also a high first rounder rushed to the NHL too soon. He was sent down and scored 17pts in 11games on a last place AHL team with the worst offense in the league. He's played 3rd line minutes, jerked around from C, to LW, to RW, to C and everywhere in between, with stellar linemates like Rob Schrmep, Jon Sim, Richard Park.

Sometimes, the player needs to just play, play well, work hard and earn the minutes and the money.

Sounds like I'm knocking Turris and I'm not. I don't know the specifics of the dealings and expectations, I just think it's shameful that a young player like him, with so much potential, is having a problem with a contract at this critical stage of his career when he has few (if any) options and hasn't proven a thing. Kid's getting some bad advice IMO.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote