HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Leafs Have Held The Most Preliminary of Preliminary Turris Talks

Old
09-21-2011, 12:46 PM
MoreMogilny
Cap'n

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
Kesler is capable of also playing wing and so is turris, hodgson is right now looking more like a second center who might make it or a third line center, which is already blocked by manny malhotra, they are also trying to change a but with i can't remember if it was burrows or raymond either way one of their wingers.

Schroeder will be good but there is one thing the canucks organization im sure would be a bit scared about, and that would be his size, the guy has immense talent but he dropped due to his size if you recall
Fair enough, though I still don't think the Canucks really need to invest in someone like Turris. They are obviously close to the cup, and while Turris could really boom, so to speak, if they were to move Schneider, would it not be best to try and get someone a bit more proven?

As far as Schroeder goes, there are definitely risks there, I was just listing him as one of the 'Nucks' top prospects.

MoreMogilny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 12:49 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreMogilny View Post
Fair enough, though I still don't think the Canucks really need to invest in someone like Turris. They are obviously close to the cup, and while Turris could really boom, so to speak, if they were to move Schneider, would it not be best to try and get someone a bit more proven?

As far as Schroeder goes, there are definitely risks there, I was just listing him as one of the 'Nucks' top prospects.
Actually if I look from a neutral stand point they would probably want someone like Brett Maclean or so as they would be more interested in wingers.

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 01:03 PM
MeowLeafs
LM is awesome

I'd like to have him depending on the price. I think he'll be better then Kadri.

MeowLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 01:15 PM
dubey
~manlets~

Gunnarsson for Turris

dubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 01:23 PM
Deebo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs88 View Post
I'd like to have him depending on the price. I think he'll be better then Kadri.
Wouldn't that mean you'd trade Kadri to get him?

Deebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 01:25 PM
Darcy Tucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansfield View Post
Turris isn't better than Bozak at this point.
really?

bozak had the worst plus minus of any center last year. 248th worst.

turris is only 22.

he had 25 points in 62 games. bozak had 32 points in 82 games.

why is bozak better at this point than turris? because he scored 2 goals in a pre season game?

Darcy Tucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 01:27 PM
Rinzler

Do we know what Phoenix needs as far as positional players go? We have an abundance of right handed NHL Defensemen, Goalie and mid level winger prospects.

It would be interesting to see if a deal can be worked out. However, we would have serious issues with finding a spot for Turris if we got him. I think we'd have to deal a decent roster forward player to make room.

Rinzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 01:29 PM
stish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Tucker View Post
really?

turris is only 22.

why is bozak better at this point than turris? because he scored 2 goals in a pre season game?
Bozak looks stronger this year. If he can get some confidence he could be good. If he had any luck he should have had 30 goals last year. Maybe some added strength and 100 games under his belt will mean those chances will start going in. If we trade him, watch him blossom elsewhere.

stish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 01:31 PM
Hero
Raptors 13/14

vCash: 50
I doubt this is true, where could we even put him?

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 01:32 PM
SuperSaiyanBeastmode

well, I don't really know where we'll put him... but we should really trade for him. No doubt in my mind he has #1 center potential, and if we can get one without giving up schenn and/or kulemin... then we just won the cup, boys.

SuperSaiyanBeastmode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 01:38 PM
Rinzler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Tucker View Post
really?

turris is only 22.

+/- aside (let's not go down that road), the two are pretty close in terms of production last year. Both players didn't perform to their expectations but one was a top 3 pick and the other is undrafted so the implied value on this board is set accordingly.

I'd rather sick with Bozak if I had to choose between him and Turris due to the fact that Bozak is a good player for our team and is signed for a great price. You can argue the individual potential all night long but at the end of the day, Bozak is a valued member of the Leafs and has great chemistry with our group.

At this point I have 0 confidence that Turris will sign for a value similar to Bozak's and come even remotely close to integrating into our lineup as well. I'd like to have Turris, don't get me wrong as he's got amazing potential, but I'd rather have Bozak if I had to choose right now.

Rinzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 01:39 PM
NaiveLeafsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSaiyanBeastmode View Post
well, I don't really know where we'll put him... but we should really trade for him. No doubt in my mind he has #1 center potential, and if we can get one without giving up schenn and/or kulemin... then we just won the cup, boys.
Plan the parade

Like most have said in here, I wouldn't mind taking a flier on him. I wouldn't necessarily want to trade Bozak just because he's gonna be relied on for the 3rd line centre business and he's really our only consistent 50+% faceoff man.

If we can get him for a 3rd or 2nd I'd be ok with that. A 3rd overall guy like Turris has to have tons of potential, moreso than someone taken in either of those rounds anyway. If we get him, I think we'd just have to stick him in the AHL though. There's practically no room on the team.

NaiveLeafsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 01:40 PM
MoreMogilny
Cap'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by hero View Post
I doubt this is true, where could we even put him?
Depending who is moved out for him (would we move a center?) you'd have to find a place for him. I imagine he'd be put onto the third line.

MoreMogilny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 01:53 PM
Pyrophorus

Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
Its not going to happen, for some weird reason, Maloney would want a lot for him.

At best he is an intriguing prospect.

Pyrophorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 01:56 PM
Saul Goodman
Attorney at law

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
Kesler is capable of also playing wing and so is turris, hodgson is right now looking more like a second center who might make it or a third line center, which is already blocked by manny malhotra, they are also trying to change a but with i can't remember if it was burrows or raymond either way one of their wingers.

Schroeder will be good but there is one thing the canucks organization im sure would be a bit scared about, and that would be his size, the guy has immense talent but he dropped due to his size if you recall
there's no way in hell the 'nucks are moving schnieder for turris. not only could they do alot better than turris, but they have no need for him. they're not moving kesler or malhotra to the wing and even if they did they already have hodgson. no matter how you try to justify it, it just doesn't make sense. if they want a winger they'll go after a winger, not a center who's basically done nothing at the NHL level.

Saul Goodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 02:11 PM
TheTotalPackage

Trading for Turris would be like taking a page out of Alex Anthopoulos' book. Identify a young talent who has/is perceived to have issues with his current team, and try to get them on the cheap as to allow that player to get things straightened out with a new change of scenery.

Maloney won't let him go for cheap, but if we're not talking about core pieces of the future, this could be an interesting proposition.

TheTotalPackage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 02:16 PM
leafy84

Phoenix- Minny 2nd and tor 2nd
Toronto- turris, clutterbuck
Minny- Grabo, tor 3rd

leafy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 02:22 PM
daveleaf

I think at some point Phoenix will try and get something for him because it is better than him sitting there. He will not be worth more next year.

I would have no problem trading Bozak for him and even a low round pic to go with it. I'm a believer that what you see from Bozak is what you're going to get-a third line centre at best, we have to remember he is what? 25 or 26 years of age. His skill set is not going to continue to increase. He will get smarter and more efficient but that is it. With Turris we would have someone with a better skill set and more potential. He may not have the greatest number total but as others have said part of that was due to the system he played in. Kadri was asked to bulk up a lot and it made him slow, usually that kind of muscle development takes years, he did it in a year and because of that he slowed down. Now he looks quick again. My point is, the organization and the system may not have been favourable to him developing.

daveleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 02:30 PM
Andrew Mack

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveleaf View Post
My point is, the organization and the system may not have been favourable to him developing.
This is something to keep in mind. I'm not saying our track record is better, but Brett MacLean, Mikael Boedker, Viktor Tikhonov, Kyle Turris, Max Goncharov, Peter Mueller, etc. have all kind of treaded water in their system. The jury is still out on all of them but three years ago they looked like they had the best young crop of players out there and they would all be impact players. Yandle right now is the only one who has really developed into an elite talent. OEL will definitely be there too, but a lot of question marks for some former "can't miss" guys.

Andrew Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 02:32 PM
Beleafer4

I would rather trade TC than bozak but I admit, I am very biased..

Beleafer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 02:42 PM
sparxx87

Where did these 'talks' go, is what I wanna know.

Burke puts an emphasis on character... Demanding money you haven't even come close to earning is something I'd be concerned with...

As many said, if he comes cheap ok... But where would he play? He won't win any of the top 3 centre jobs?

sparxx87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 02:45 PM
khennig16*
Bikini Inspector

Komisarek + 2nd for Turris
I know some of you will say "why would Phoenix do that?" Well when dealing with Mr. Burke, the other GM has no say in the trade.
See Phaneuf/Stajan trade, Beauch/Lupul etc...
On a more realistic note, Kyle's value is probably not as much as people are assuming, the highest I can see Phoenix getting is a late first, for the reasons of:
-Insane contract demands
- Drafted 4 years ago, and still has yet to become an impact player.

And maybe his contract demands are just a scheme to get himself out of Phoenix. Do we really want Dany Heatley 2.0?
I would love to have Turris here, but not at the price of any of our top players/prospects.

khennig16* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 02:46 PM
daveleaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparxx87 View Post
Where did these 'talks' go, is what I wanna know.

Burke puts an emphasis on character... Demanding money you haven't even come close to earning is something I'd be concerned with...

As many said, if he comes cheap ok... But where would he play? He won't win any of the top 3 centre jobs?
Couldn't we say the same about Kessel?

daveleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 02:47 PM
zeke
#TeamReimer

I'm not a big believer in Turris, and he's pretty close to bust territory IMO, but he still does have plenty of upside, and given that the Leafs biggest weakness is topline talent and their biggest strength is depth, it might behoove us to make these kinds of depth-for-upside deals, even if Turris is turning into more of a longshot now.

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 03:05 PM
mooseOAK*

I'm guessing that Turris goes to Ottawa or Edmonton, i.e. a team with little depth where he can get more minutes.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote