HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Leafs Have Held The Most Preliminary of Preliminary Turris Talks

Old
09-21-2011, 04:12 PM
Mowerman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beleafer4 View Post
Lombardi is a 29 year old veteran. How many times has he eclipsed 50% in his career?
Lombardi:

09-10: FO% 49.7%

08-09: FO% 52%

07-08: FO% 47.6%

06-07: FO% 49.1%

05-06: FO% 52.9%

03-04: FO% 47.9%

He's been between 49 and 52 for the majority of his career. That's not bad, and the difference between Lombardi and Bozak in the faceoff dot of 3-5% isn't enough to justify all of the other improvements Lombardi offers over Bozak. I'm sure Tyler will do a fine job with that FO% as 4C.

I may have misread that, but I keep hearing people saying Bozak > Lombardi as 3C because of faceoffs and it just makes me wonder.

Mowerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 04:14 PM
Flowzak
I saw, I conquered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Mack View Post
Two things wrong with that script.

1. In that boardroom there are like 40 people so you need to speak up.
2. Nonis calls the shots.
To be honest, I'm actually intrigued by this. If Nonis calls the shots....wth is Burke paid to do? I mean most of the major trades (a la Phaneuf) were done by Nonis...what has Burke himself done so far? Like I'm not challenging what you're saying...I'm just wondering wth we pay Burke for.

Flowzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 04:15 PM
daveleaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
I think that if Turris was to become a Leaf today he would be behind Darryl Boyce in the depth chart.
C'mon Moose. He has more talent that Boyce and Bozak. He is worth the gamble to take a chance. Give him a one or two year deal to prove himself. He is as good if not better than where Grabo was three years ago.

daveleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 04:15 PM
Andrew Mack

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeLoBlue View Post
To be honest, I'm actually intrigued by this. If Nonis calls the shots....wth is Burke paid to do? I mean most of the major trades (a la Phaneuf) were done by Nonis...what has Burke himself done so far? Like I'm not challenging what you're saying...I'm just wondering wth we pay Burke for.
He makes the hot dogs I'm pretty sure.

Andrew Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 04:16 PM
iPunch
Leafs Fan

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyGrinder View Post
My bad. I guess Toronto is so stacked that they can't give opportunities to impact prospects. Must be nice.
Toronto has impact players. When your team has more than 1-2 you'll know the difference.

Contrary to what the Oilers are feeding their fans, you need NHL players at some point. It isn't all about prospect piling.

iPunch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 04:16 PM
indigobuffalo
Portage and Main

Sounds a lot like the Phaneuf saga.

A player supposedly cancerous to the room, high draft pick that isn't performing to expectations...

I think it's worth taking the chance on Turris. If we have to give up Bozak, so be it.

I'm one of the few that's never left Bozak's camp, but if Turris is on the table, well, that's a great opportunity. You have to take it.

Even if Turris has to go to the AHL for a season to prove himself it's worth it.

But I think that Turris could reach his potential, and isn't nearly as 'bust'ed as people make him out to be.

I hope we get him.

indigobuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 04:17 PM
daveleaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by WendelBrown View Post
Lombardi:

09-10: FO% 49.7%

08-09: FO% 52%

07-08: FO% 47.6%

06-07: FO% 49.1%

05-06: FO% 52.9%

03-04: FO% 47.9%

He's been between 49 and 52 for the majority of his career. That's not bad, and the difference between Lombardi and Bozak in the faceoff dot of 3-5% isn't enough to justify all of the other improvements Lombardi offers over Bozak. I'm sure Tyler will do a fine job with that FO% as 4C.

I may have misread that, but I keep hearing people saying Bozak > Lombardi as 3C because of faceoffs and it just makes me wonder.
All I remember was Bozak loosing the faceoffs that meant something. If we are basing the value of a guy on faceoffs, might as well put Ziggomanis in there.

daveleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 04:22 PM
Beleafer4

We could take a flier on turris but it seems he wants a longer well paid contract. Problem with Turris is that he is top 6 or bust. Bozak can at least play anywhere.

Beleafer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 04:26 PM
Mowerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveleaf View Post
All I remember was Bozak loosing the faceoffs that meant something. If we are basing the value of a guy on faceoffs, might as well put Ziggomanis in there.
Negative bias. Bozak was responsible defensively and good in the dot. The difference between Bozak and Lombardi isn't significant, and if Lombardi is healthy he is a more proven and known commodity relative to Bozak, and is an upgrade over Bozak with some of his skillsets.

Depending on how Kadri and Lupul perform, it could very well be conceivable that Lupul goes to make room for Kadri and Lombardi moves to LW.

Kadri - Con - Kessel
Kulemin - Grabo - Mac
Lombardi - Bozak - Armstrong
Brown - Dupuis - Orr

Of course, that is speculation on my part. I'm sure that management views it as Lombardi 3C Bozak 4C if both were ready to go and the season was starting tonight. However, based on how the season progresses and how players perform the line-up is certainly adjustable.

Old
09-21-2011, 04:31 PM
Beleafer4

Imagine how our lines would like if we acquired turris for a 2nd though LOL.

Kadri-Bozak-Armstrong
Lombardi-Turris-Frattin
Just the way burkie likes it haha

Old
09-21-2011, 04:35 PM
Mowerman

Quote:
Imagine how our lines would like if we acquired turris for a 2nd though LOL.

Kadri-Bozak-Armstrong
Lombardi-Turris-Frattin
Just the way burkie likes it haha
I'm not sure what to make of this post. I laughed, but I can't figure out if I was supposed to or not lol. I hope that was intentional on your part.

Old
09-21-2011, 04:42 PM
Budsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckWoods View Post
Teams are scrambling to inquire about Turris. Its not just the Leafs in on this.

His pure talent and skillset are generating a lot of interest within the leauge.

The issue with Turris is that he wants a contract based on that (his ceiling and skillset), and not performace. Which is why Pheonix and the Turris camp have such different visions of his next contract.

Now with that being said, Turris has always been a bit of a whiner and complainer. A very good friend of mine had it out with two years ago while his team was playing Pheonix, and lets just say it soured my opinion of him.

But he's certainly talented, has room to grow as a person and a player and if he can do both of those, his ceiling could be a #1 Centre.

The jury is out on Turris right now, and he could go the boom/bust route. I personally dont think there's a middle ground when it comes to him.
I don't think Phoenix will get a lot for him, after all why would they give up on a high pick prospect, with his kind of potential, if there wasn't a lot more to it than just the money aspect of it.

"ChuckWoods" indicated he may be a head case and sometimes they can do more to undermine a team than help but he is an intriguing kind of player and I guess I would take a flyer on him if the price was right.

Budsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 04:42 PM
Beleafer4

Quote:
Originally Posted by WendelBrown View Post
I'm not sure what to make of this post. I laughed, but I can't figure out if I was supposed to or not lol. I hope that was intentional on your part.
Yea it was intentional, im on my phone so I couldnt select the sarcasm emoticon.

In all seriousness though, I dont see where turris would fit on this squad even with bozak out of the team. Like moose said, he will just decay on the fourth line.

Old
09-21-2011, 04:45 PM
Mowerman

Quote:
Yea it was intentional, im on my phone so I couldnt select the sarcasm emoticon.

In all seriousness though, I dont see where turris would fit on this squad even with bozak out of the team. Like moose said, he will just decay on the fourth line.
He'd have to beat someone out and if he couldn't he's in the Marlies. If he's so posed for a breakout year he'll easily make the top 6, right?

Old
09-21-2011, 04:49 PM
Brewsky
King Of The Ice Mugs

Send a message via ICQ to Brewsky Send a message via AIM to Brewsky Send a message via MSN to Brewsky Send a message via Yahoo to Brewsky Send a message via Skype™ to Brewsky
Quote:
It's like the Mafia.

Nonis is the mastermind.

Burke has the blood on his hands.

Brewsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 05:15 PM
The Messenger

How possibly could a recent top 3 pick be talked about in trade for a free wallet signing. I have read from countless posters (well 3 anyway) here about the value of top 5 draft picks and the lunacy of Burke's free wallets. How can this be?

The Messenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 05:38 PM
bansheebeat
Cherry-Coloured Funk

After waiting a season and a half to finally get to see Bozak's potential as a third line centre (where we all knew he was going), I can't honestly believe they'd get rid of him on the eve of fruition. I don't think there are many players Burke and co. are more excited to see this season than what happens to Bozak in his rightful position, especially with the chemistry he's developed with Armstrong. (I'd say that apart from the KGM line, those two have more chemistry than any other forwards.) We have too many defencemen and too many forward prospects. I'd wait a year before I even considered tossing Bozak - unless the return was far better than Turris.

This is simple. It's not like it's Bozak or no deal. Keep Bozak where he is.

bansheebeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 05:55 PM
Platinum Seat Leafs

He would be awesome on our line up and has alot of potential

Platinum Seat Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 08:43 PM
beauchamp

Quote:

He's the mouthpiece of the TML (and a big one too).

beauchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 10:16 PM
The Blue Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyGrinder View Post
OK later man. Didn't mean to ruffle any feathers.

I'll just add before I leave that Turris is going to have a break out year and Toronto fans will have wished they took a chance on the kid.

See ya in a couple months when I bump this thread.
You do realize that fans aren't the ones that make the trades, don't you?

The Blue Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 10:19 PM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Mack View Post
I should also add that Cox is suggesting that they are looking very closely at Colborne to see if he is ready for the NHL. If he is, this goes out the window. It also might mean Bozak is being shopped if his name is being thrown around in this deal, with the close evaluation on Colborne and the health status of Lombardi, it makes sense.
Doubt it. I see Burke shipping out a Dman and a goalie. Maybe Gunnar and/or Gus. I dont think Burke trades Bozak on a big chance like Turris when hes playing so well right now.

blasted_Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 10:25 PM
Erza Scarlet
following the mantle

Quote:
Originally Posted by bringthecuphome View Post
I'm down. Loved Turris since his world junior days. Huuuuge possible reward on this kid.
he never played in juniors.

Erza Scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 10:35 PM
bonjovi0308

Send a message via ICQ to bonjovi0308
Well, I think the prospect depth in forwards is relatively weak compared to our defense and goalie, so I wouldn't mind giving up some of our defensive assets to enrich our forward prospect pool.

(here is our defense depth, not in any particular order)
Dion
Schenn
Aulie
Komi
Liles
Franson
Gunns
Gardiner
Blacker
holzer
mikus
Percy

bonjovi0308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 10:43 PM
goleafsgo93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezle View Post
he never played in juniors.
lol of course he did, he was a teammate of luke schenns when they won gold i believe in 08

goleafsgo93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 10:43 PM
edwardslane

People talking about salary dump from the leafs aren't thinking right..

This isn't 2010-2011 season anymore.. the leafs don't have 10 million + in capspace..

We've got about 2 million if we move some contracts around.. which is nothing. Considering arguably our best forward in kulemin is due for a new contract next year as well as Grabovski.. so is Franson as well!

that's quite a bit of new money to be added to the books!

If turris is going to sign with us for say 2.5 million we need to send back at least 1 of our roster players.

It's quite funny how weak out Center depth was last year and now this year we have a Glut of potential and the thought of adding turris down the middle only adds even more!

Turris, connolly, grabovski, would be a pretty sick top 3 centers.. I think bozak would be the oddsman out.

I think then colburne if ready would be great as next years 3rd line center, turris moving up to #2 with grabo traded at the deadline and connolly if gels with kessel the #1.. who knows though if we make a turris trade he could become the #1 alongside kessel and Lupul..

What the hell do you do with grabo then? 3rd line center? lombardi at 3.5 millon as a fourth!?? where'd bozak go? colburne as well isn't going to be a 4th line center!

Trading for turris would create such a logjam and interesting disccussion!

edwardslane is offline   Reply With Quote