HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Another Arena Proposal....

Closed Thread

Old
09-21-2011, 12:37 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
#beLIeve

vCash: 500
Another Arena Proposal....

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/n...site-1.3189037

"It's time to bring vibrance to the site," Corva said.
The plan involves spending $100 million on Coliseum renovations that would make the structure larger and taller, with new seats and suites.
The proposal would be privately financed, and officials said several developers have expressed interest. The concept, task force members hope, could be the basis for a request for proposals to be issued by the county.

09-21-2011, 12:43 PM
Isles Junkie

100m doesn't seem like nearly enough $ to do what needs to be done to the existing building.

Old
09-21-2011, 12:56 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
100m doesn't seem like nearly enough $ to do what needs to be done to the existing building.
I figured $2M but hey, if someone can get the job done....they're doing exactly what I said they should do from day one.

Loudest building in the league with more money coming in and more bathrooms and eateries.

Just don't forget to spruce up that awful parking lot with walls, trees and pavement. (and try and update the current external building look a la Camaro....that would be nice)

Old
09-21-2011, 01:02 PM
StrongIslanders90

the picture looks the same as what we have now....

IDK the word "renovation" doesnt do it for me in this case

we need a completly new building

Old
09-21-2011, 01:05 PM
IslesArchieFan
Oh Cptn, My Cptn

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
I figured $2M but hey, if someone can get the job done....they're doing exactly what I said they should do from day one.

Loudest building in the league with more money coming in and more bathrooms and eateries.

Just don't forget to spruce up that awful parking lot with walls, trees and pavement. (and try and update the current external building look a la Camaro....that would be nice)
$100M for Building Renovations

$347M for the total Total Site. I can only hope that some of the remaining $247M goes to redevelop the parking lot.

Old
09-21-2011, 01:08 PM
Bauer Warrior*

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
the picture looks the same as what we have now....

IDK the word "renovation" doesnt do it for me in this case

we need a completly new building
I think if we want a new arena, we're going to have to find that cosmic porthole that takes us back to 1972.

Old
09-21-2011, 01:15 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesArchieFan View Post
$100M for Building Renovations

$347M for the total Total Site. I can only hope that some of the remaining $247M goes to redevelop the parking lot.
The way things have gone with this team, I would have to assume they'd forget that part and wait 20 years to address the potholes/puddles/torn fencing.

Depending on the plans, a new wall and roof would mean we have to completely rework the concourse (new), reinsppect and replace the old structural steel and add to the framing to raise the roof, add new bathrooms and thus.....it's 75% new building but then again, it would have to all pass so it would have to be 100% new quality to pass.

So, new building.

Last edited by OlTimeHockey: 09-21-2011 at 01:20 PM.
Old
09-21-2011, 01:18 PM
isleskovalchuk

Interesting to see what Wang thinks of the offer. Who is going to privately fund this though?

Old
09-21-2011, 01:23 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleskovalchuk View Post
Interesting to see what Wang thinks of the offer. Who is going to privately fund this though?
it's only a proposal from ABLI so it means nothing unless the County considers it......and even then, they can put out their own proposal. The proposal could be solely to renovate the current building and it might not be privately financed.

Or nothing could happen.

Maybe Wang can offer to do the renovation financing in return for a 30 year continuation of the current lease or even better terms.

But it is just a proposal by a private group who has been putting out feelers in recent months for the economic benefit of their members - which I don't fault them for.

Old
09-21-2011, 01:26 PM
Dutch Frost
Everything is Fine!!

vCash: 1130
100 million to renovate?? What are they going to do add a fresh coat of paint and install some new flat screen TV's?? Cmon seriously?? They need to rebuild a whole new arena complex.. 100 million will not be enough to make any significant impact

Old
09-21-2011, 01:26 PM
IslesArchieFan
Oh Cptn, My Cptn

Someone should have told ABLI that Ratner wants the Islanders

Old
09-21-2011, 01:27 PM
Strome18

If Wang wants to stay with an SMG lease he will take it, but Nassau already blew it. Queens, Brooklyn are the best ways to grow the brand and get new appeal for the franchise.

Old
09-21-2011, 01:30 PM
StrongIslanders90

The problem is our building is old and falling apart.....Renovations would only look nice while the foundation would still suck

Old
09-21-2011, 01:39 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Frost View Post
100 million to renovate?? What are they going to do add a fresh coat of paint and install some new flat screen TV's?? Cmon seriously?? They need to rebuild a whole new arena complex.. 100 million will not be enough to make any significant impact
an exterior wall and roof (with iron work and concrete pouring), no permits for the already approved site, flooring, plumbing, seats? Yeah, I figured just under $200M but if they can get the contract done for $100M or above, what's the issue?

(I say it will be adjusted for the higher amount but hey, I only worked in the trades for a dozen years)

The Strong Islander argument: if the structure failed in the least but, you woulda known when not one person was allowed inside. State agencies here, not inspectors from the Russian transportation department, surely have all pertinent info on the arena. The LHP proposal required it.

And the other arguments are Queens/Brooklyn vs. Kate Murray banter.

The idea is valid regardless of the low price tag.

Old
09-21-2011, 01:47 PM
Brunomics

Quote:
an exterior wall and roof (with iron work and concrete pouring), no permits for the already approved site, flooring, plumbing, seats? Yeah, I figured just under $200M but if they can get the contract done for $100M or above, what's the issue?
(I say it will be adjusted for the higher amount but hey, I only worked in the trades for a dozen years)

The Strong Islander argument: if the structure failed in the least but, you woulda known when not one person was allowed inside. State agencies here, not inspectors from the Russian transportation department, surely have all pertinent info on the arena. The LHP proposal required it.

This is more than doable, just hire nothing but non union labor and you will have yourself a way more affordable renovation. Of course there would be a political **** storm if they did it that way but economically it's the best way to go.

Old
09-21-2011, 01:50 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunomics View Post
This is more than doable, just hire nothing but non union labor and you will have yourself a way more affordable renovation. Of course there would be a political **** storm if they did it that way but economically it's the best way to go.
The way things are going now, you have to have union sparkies doing electrical for the most part, but not all union. Iron workers have to be union. Carpenters do not. And the carpenters are the bulk of the workers.

Right now I know dozens of guys who need the work on LI. I would love it if it were LI crews only, as a condition of making it non union.

I do know a lot of non union shops add on to their costs and profit more in these jobs, though.....they get the low bid and inflate it because they can. The wages are still reasonable but the owners make more money - because they can. So.....it's up to the developers to push costs down ultimately.

Last edited by OlTimeHockey: 09-21-2011 at 01:55 PM.
Old
09-21-2011, 01:59 PM
malPHONEY

Islanders staying in the area far outweighs any grudges originating from August 1st and before IMO. If this is the most likely way the Isles stay, I'm all for it.

Old
09-21-2011, 02:05 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by malPHONEY View Post
Islanders staying in the area far outweighs any grudges originating from August 1st and before IMO. If this is the most likely way the Isles stay, I'm all for it.
Amen.

Old
09-21-2011, 02:24 PM
TennesseeJedd

Quote:
The way things are going now, you have to have union sparkies doing electrical for the most part, but not all union. Iron workers have to be union. Carpenters do not. And the carpenters are the bulk of the workers.

Right now I know dozens of guys who need the work on LI. I would love it if it were LI crews only, as a condition of making it non union.

I do know a lot of non union shops add on to their costs and profit more in these jobs, though.....they get the low bid and inflate it because they can. The wages are still reasonable but the owners make more money - because they can. So.....it's up to the developers to push costs down ultimately.
There is no way they would get away with non union labor, just isn't happening, it would be political suicide for any pol attached to it in any way and we should all know by now that the Pol's on both sides will want their share of credit for this being done.

Not only will the building have to go higher but they will have to go deeper as well. With all the infrastructure additions that would need to be made you could double their pricetag and still come up short.

Old
09-21-2011, 02:29 PM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by malPHONEY View Post
Agreed.. It's going to be interesting to see how this plays out.

Old
09-21-2011, 02:35 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennesseeJedd View Post
There is no way they would get away with non union labor, just isn't happening, it would be political suicide for any pol attached to it in any way and we should all know by now that the Pol's on both sides will want their share of credit for this being done.

Not only will the building have to go higher but they will have to go deeper as well. With all the infrastructure additions that would need to be made you could double their pricetag and still come up short.
Huh? The roof goes out and walls extend outward to increase the circumference and the load should be minimal, the foundation in place already pert, the iron would be planted in place and it's done. I have no idea what you're getting at with a need for the additional nonsense. The only thing needed for the floor is two new condensers to give us great ice again. Or is this a round about means to throw a red herring into the idea? A 400 section, luxury suited right below the 400's, the roof built upon the new circumference and the walls built out to create a new SHELL (which is not a high cost matter - the seating structure/pour will cost more than the roof and exterior).

As for non union labor - it's a take-it-or-leave-it matter that either some get jobs or no one does. In this economy, the some will win. Especially if the proposed federal right to work legislation legalizing non union hires within a union shop goes forward. Even if it doesn't, the disparity between what a non union contractor bids and a union one bids is not as much as people think. As I said before.

Old
09-21-2011, 04:54 PM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

Quote:
it's only a proposal from ABLI so it means nothing unless the County considers it......and even then, they can put out their own proposal. The proposal could be solely to renovate the current building and it might not be privately financed.

Or nothing could happen.

Maybe Wang can offer to do the renovation financing in return for a 30 year continuation of the current lease or even better terms.

But it is just a proposal by a private group who has been putting out feelers in recent months for the economic benefit of their members - which I don't fault them for.
I head over to the ABLI site, and there's nothing there about this proposal.

Old
09-21-2011, 05:04 PM
BOSSY1126

sorry i like wangs proposal better these clowns don't know nothing i bet it takes 200 mill to redo coliseum properly

Old
09-21-2011, 05:12 PM
Islesfan24

To everyone who thinks that this is not gonna do it for them ask yourself this.. If you read the description, it is a GIANT renovation making the building taller and bigger and more appealing. It is basically a new arena in my eyes and if it happens, we stay on the Isle and thats the only thing that should matter. PLUS i absolutely HATE the outer lobby of the colly. It reminds me of my high school's bathroom.

Old
09-21-2011, 05:12 PM
Dutch Frost
Everything is Fine!!

vCash: 1130
Quote:

Your dreaming if you think this will get done with 100 million dollars.

- This will be Union built and lets not forget how much they love cost overruns. (They just increased tolls on bridges and tunnels to pay for the WTC site and the other projects that are behind schedule)

Closed Thread