HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

The NHL Realignment

Closed Thread

Old
09-21-2011, 01:56 PM
FlyersFan4Life

vCash: 500
The NHL Realignment

I know this has been talked about before but yesterday i got into a discussion about what the NHL will actually do to the realignment after this season and while at school waiting for my class to start i written down in my eyes what would be the best thing to do for all the teams and fans.

2 conferences with 2 divisions each.

The Wales Conference

Patrick Division
Adams Divison
Carolina Hurricanes
Boston Bruins
Columbus Blue Jackets
Buffalo Sabres
Detroit Red Wings
Montreal Canadiens
Florida Panthers
New York Rangers
Philadelphia Flyers
New York Islanders
Pittsburgh Penguins
New Jersey Devils
Tampa Bay Lightning
Ottawa Senators
Washington Captials
Toronto Maple Leafs

Campbell Conference

Smythe Division
Norris Division
Chicago Blackhawks
Anaheim Ducks
Dallas Stars
Calgary Flames
Edmonton Oilers
Colorado Avalanche
Minnesota Wild
Los Angeles Kings
Nashville Predators
Phoenix Coyotes
St. Louis Blues
San Jose Sharks
Winnipeg Jets
Vancouver Canucks

with this realignment it will fix the problems with travel and time zones..

now with the conferences having uneven teams the campbell conference will play each other more often. heres an example of how they can break down the 82 game schedule for each team using one team from each conference.

every team will play each twice each having a home and away game against one another

Wales Conference
The Flyers will play at 4 games each against 6 teams and 6 games against 1 team in their divison(Patrick). They will play 4 games each against 4 teams and 2 games each against 4 teams in the rivial division(Adams). Then they will play 2 games each against the 14 teams in the Campbell Division.

to break the numbers down that'll be 30 divisonal games, 24 games against the other division, and 28 games against the other conference

Campbell Conference
The Blackhawks will play 4 games each against 5 teams and 6 games against 1 team in their division. Play 4 games each against 5 teams and 2 games against 2 teams from the other division(Norris). Then they will play 2 games each against the 16 teams in the Wales Conference.

that'll be 26 divisional games, 24 games against the other divison, and 32 games against the other conference

Now with the playsoffs i believe 10 teams in the Wales Conference 5 from each division should make the playoffs with the first round having the teams that won the divisons having a bye...as the other teams play a divisional best of three series (eg. 2 plays 5 and 3 plays 4) and then mix them back up, rerank them by total points in the regular season, and play the second round has normal (1 plays 8 2 plays 7.....) with a best of 5 series. then have the next two rounds be just like normal best of 7 series up till the stanley cup

Now with the Campbell Conference 4 teams from each divison makes the playoffs with the first round being divisional play (1 plays 4 and 2 plays 3) with a best of 5 series then after that round. mix both divisions up, having rerank them by season total points and then play a best of 7 series up til the stanley cup finals.

and of course the stanley cup finals will put the champions of the conferences against each other for the stanley cup.

with the Playoffs being set up this way it will make more tense rivalries and make the fans happy who want to see divisonal playoff match ups

so what do you guys think?

Old
09-21-2011, 02:08 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
Dallas get's screwed. Swap them with Colorado.

Old
09-21-2011, 02:08 PM
foppagirl21

I absolutely, positively DESPISE the idea of having unequal distribution of teams in divisions. Honestly, the best decision with the number of teams in the league would be to move Minnisota to the Central, Nashville to the SE, and Winnipeg to the NW (all while sticking with 2 conferences with 3 divisions each). Done and done.

Old
09-21-2011, 02:12 PM
Huddy*

Send a message via Yahoo to Huddy*
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan4Life View Post
the teams that won the divisons having a bye...as the other teams play a divisional best of three series
First rd bye in the NHL Playoffs & best of three series this isnt the NFL nor is it the MLB..I just dont know about this thread..it may struggle

Old
09-21-2011, 02:15 PM
IdealisticSniper

Oh yeah thats really fair.

Two divisions with 8 teams and 2 with 7 teams. Makes it harder for the first conference teams to make the playoffs.

Also while it may not be part of the discussion as to how to realign, that Patrick Division is murderers row. By far the toughest division of the 4.

No thanks.

Old
09-21-2011, 02:20 PM
redwings85
In Ozzie I trust.

Detroit isn't going to the east...

Mark my words, its Columbus that moves.

Old
09-21-2011, 02:25 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
If you're going to have four divisions then you'd have to introduced two new teams. Something I think that the NHL would be in favour of. Quebec and Seattle would be my choices.

Old
09-21-2011, 02:30 PM
Trebek
Mod Supervisor

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=951121

Have fun!

Closed Thread